LarsB
LarsB
Unicorn Overlord
Joined Nov 2011 Posts: 15,313
edited 11 Feb 2013, 8:39AM
The Big Dynamic Turrets Guide

Introduction to Dynamic Turrets:
[video=youtube_share;WgkPcBLv1jY]http://youtu.be/WgkPcBLv1jY[/video]

On 10-19-2012 Dynamic Turrets were introduced. They formed such a big swing in the game play that I decided to make a separate guide about it, instead of updating my older guides. In this thread I will talk about the stats, pros and cons and uses of the new dynamic turrets, including the Plasma Cannon and Rocket Barrage Tower that can be won in events. Please note that this guide is not complete yet, since I haven’t tested out several towers (especially the Hellfire turret, the Laser Tower and the Rocket Barrage Tower, which I do not have). So if you have anything to add to this guide, please comment.

First I will start off with the Dynamic Turrets as a whole. Turrets exist of 2 parts: the Defense Platform and the Turret Head. The Defense Platform is a building and can be upgraded like a building. It has 3 lvls and with each upgrade only the health of the tower increases:

defplat.png
Lvl 1: 5,000 health
Lvl 2: 25,000 health
Lvl 3: 70,000 health

When you upgrade the Defense Platform you can see that the heath of the turret increases, which will mean it will take longer to destroy the turret, so it can deliver more damage before it is destroyed.
The Turret Head is the part that delivers the damage. Turret Heads can be unlocked and upgraded in the Defense Lab:

defenseu.jpg

There are 5 regular types of Turret Heads and 2 special Turret Heads that can only be won in events. When you have upgraded a Turret head, you will have to change the previous Turret Heads you have built with the upgraded Turret Head, because already built Turret Heads do not upgrade automatically. To change a Turret Head on a Tower, click on the Tower, click ‘Set Turret’ and select the new Turret Head from the list on the left side, then click on start equipping.
Turret Heads have a unique color code to tell you which lvl they are:
Lvl 1: Green
Lvl 2: Yellow
Lvl 3: Purple
Lvl 4: Blue
Lvl 5: Red

Next post I will discuss the different types of Turret Heads.
WC: Lvl: 35 User ID: 933725 Sector: 38
Prizes won: Elite Rifleman, Elite Heavy Gunner, Attack Dog, Stinger, Shock Trooper, Colossus, Gladiator, Elite Humvee, Honey Badger, Elite Gatling Truck, Elite Shock Tank, Flak Tank, FAV, Elite Laser Tank + Schematic, Elite Hellfire+ Schematic, Elite Mega Tank, Behemoth, Reaper Drone, Elite Warhawk , Havoc, Hellstorm, Kondor, Heavy Ionized Armor

I am not a moderator or developer and I do not work for ♞KIXEYE in any way, I'm just an Elder of the game

• LarsB
    LarsB
    Unicorn Overlord
    I will now go over the different types of Turret Heads:
    Before Dynamic Turrets were added, we only had the Gun Turret (it is called ‘Machine Gun’ now) and the Mortar, so I’ll start with those two:

machine.jpg
    Machine Gun (formerly Gun Turret)
    Stats:
    Damage Filters:
    VS. Infantry: Good
    VS. Vehicles: OK
    VS. Air: Good
    Splash: No
    Lvl 1:
    Range: 305
    DPS: 613
    Rate of Fire: 500
    Power Usage: 25
    Lvl 5:
    Range: 345
    DPS: 1880
    Rate of Fire: 500
    Power Usage: 400

Pros:
    -It can hit both air and ground
    -It is very effective against infantry and air units because infantry and air have low armor against bullets
    -It can hit Hellfire Missiles. It’s the only turret in the game that can hit Hellfire Missiles.
    -High RoF
    -Direct hit
    Cons:
    -Very short range, it can be outranged by most tanks
    -It does not do splash damage
    -It is very weak against armored vehicles

Use:
    Due to its short range it is best used in the frontline, in front of longer ranged towers. It provides a first line of defense against air units. Moreover, it is also very effective against infantry, so by putting it in the frontline it can make quick work of tower bait or meat shields that come too close. Additionally it also is able to hit Hellfire missiles, so it will provide extra protection against Hellfires.

mortarg.jpg
    Mortar Tower:
    Stats:
    Damage Filters:
    VS. Infantry: OK
    VS. Vehicles: Good
    VS. Air: Can’t Hit
    Splash: Yes
    Lvl 1:
    Range: 364
    DPS: 546
    Rate of Fire: 12
    Power Usage: 25
    Lvl 5:
    Range: 498
    DPS: 2040
    Power Usage: 400

Pros:
    -The Mortar has a very long range, at lvl 5 it can hit even Razorbacks while placed behind another turret
    -It does splash damage
    -It’s pretty effective against heavy armored vehicles
    Cons:
    -Due to the fact that it does an indirect hit and it does not have AoE damage or a large splash radius, it can easily be tower baited.
    -It has a pretty slow RoF
    -It can’t hit air

Use:
    Before the Dynamic Turrets, we used the Mortar tower as anti-tank weapon. Because of its long range its best used behind the frontline turrets (although it cannot hit Hellfires from that position). Due to the fact that it can be tower baited, you need to support it with weapons that can quickly kill the bait, like Machine Guns, Snipers and Laser Towers.

When the Dynamic Turret were released, we got 2 new turret head types. I will continue with those:

flakgun.jpg
    Flak Gun:
    Stats:
    Damage Filters:
    VS. Infantry: Can’t Hit
    VS. Vehicles: Can’t Hit
    VS. Air: Best
    Lvl 1:
    Range: 320
    DPS: 952
    Rate of Fire: 50
    Power Usage: 300
    Lvl 5:
    Range: 360
    DPS: 1333
    Rate of Fire: 50
    Power Usage: 700

Pros:
    -It’s very effective against Air
    -It has long range for an AA tower
    -It does high damage
    -It does splash damage
    -It does extra damage against Kondors
    Cons:
    -It cannot hit ground units
    -It cannot hit Hellfire Missiles

Use:
    The Flak Gun is a pure Anti-Air Gun. It can’t hit anything else than Air units. Because of its splash damage it can quickly obliterate groups of enemy air units. Because it can only hit air it can only do one thing and it becomes a kind of an insecure factor in your defense. But if you want a good defense against powerful air units like Warhawks the Flak Gun is the tower you want to use.

hellfiretu.jpg
    Hellfire Tower:
    Stats:
    Damage Filters:
    VS. Infantry: Best
    Lvl 1:
    Range: 387
    DPS: 1584
    Rate of Fire: 10
    Power Usage: 600
    Lvl 5:
    Range: 468
    DPS: 2376
    Rate of Fire: 10
    Power Usage: 1000

Pros:
    -It has long range, at lvl 5 it can hit a lvl 9 Mega Tank when placed behind another turret
    -It is very effective against ground units
    -It does splash damage
    -It has high dps
    Cons
    -It has an indirect hit
    -It can be tower baited because it doesn’t have a large enough splash radius
    -The missiles can be shot down by (most) AA units
    -It can’t hit air
    -It cannot outrange lvl 9 Hellfires

Use:
    The Hellfire Tower is a competitor of the Mortar Tower. Compared to the Mortar Tower it has higher dps, it is more effective against infantry, but it has a shorter range and a slower RoF. Since dps and range are the most important stats, the Hellfire Tower basically trades in range for dps. The way it is now, it is less useful than the Mortar Tower.

Recently a new tower was introduced, and it is free for all players. Please note that due to the fact this is a pretty new tower, it still misses a lot of information.

laserd.jpg
    Laser Tower:
    Stats:
    Damage Filters:
    VS. Infantry: Good
    Lvl 1:
    Range: 315
    DPS: 1951
    Power Usage: 500
    Lvl 5:
    Range: 410
    DPS: 2926
    Power Usage: 900

Pros:
    -Like the Laser Tank it is very effective against ground units
    -It has high damage and vaporizes most ground units in a blink of an eye
    -It has long range, it can outrage all units except the Hellfire
    -It has a very large splash radius
    Cons:
    -It has a slow RoF
    -It can’t hit air

Use:
    The Laser tower shines against all ground units, so it can be used as anti-tank tower, but it can also be used to quickly vaporize tower bait or meat shields. At the moment it is maybe the most useful tower available because it is so effective against so many different types of ground units.

At the moment there are also 3 Turret Heads that can only be won in events.

image1wdu.jpg
    Plasma Cannon
    Stats:
    Damage Filters:
    VS. Infantry: Poor
    VS. Vehicles: Best
    Splash: No
    Lvl 1:
    Range: 355
    DPS: 2439
    Rate of Fire: 8
    Lvl 5:
    Range: 479
    DPS: 3901

Pros:
    -It is very effective against heavy armored vehicles
    -It has a very long range, enough to outrange lvl 8 Hellfires on lvl 5. At lvl 5 it can also hit lvl 8 Mega tanks while placed behind another turret
    -It has a very high dps, enough to kill a lvl 1 Mega in one shot at lvl 1. On lvl 5 it can kill a lvl 8 Mega in one shot.
    Cons:
    -It does not do splash damage
    -It has a very slow RoF
    -It can’t hit air

Use:
    The Plasma Cannon is a pure anti-tank turret. At lvl 5 it can kill any unit in one shot, except a lvl 9 Mega tank. It also needs 3 shots to kill a lvl 9 Behemoth. It outranges every units in the game, so even Hellfires are not safe. The problem is that they do not do splash damage and have a slow RoF, so a simple meatshield can make them totally useless. That’s why you always want to pair it with weapons that can quickly get rid of the meat shield, like Hellfire tanks or turret or Laser tanks or towers.

rocketbarragelv5.png
    Rocket Barrage Tower
    Stats:
    Damage Filters:
    VS. Infantry: Best
    Lvl 1:
    Range: 361
    DPS: 500
    Power Usage: 500
    Lvl 5:
    Range: 548
    DPS: 650?
    Power Usage: 900

Pros:
    -It has very very long range, enough to hit lvl 9 Hellfires at lvl 5 when placed behind a turret.
    -It has a big AOE, big enough to stop it from being baited
    Cons:
    -It does very low damage for an anti-vehicle tower
    -It can’t hit air

Use:
    The Rocket Barrage Tower is a pure anti-artillery tower. It has long range but low damage so it’s best used against low health, long ranged units like Hellfires or Razorbacks. Because it has such a long range, you can best use behind the frontline towers.
    Prizes won: Elite Rifleman, Elite Heavy Gunner, Attack Dog, Stinger, Shock Trooper, Colossus, Gladiator, Elite Humvee, Honey Badger, Elite Gatling Truck, Elite Shock Tank, Flak Tank, FAV, Elite Laser Tank + Schematic, Elite Hellfire+ Schematic, Elite Mega Tank, Behemoth, Reaper Drone, Elite Warhawk , Havoc, Hellstorm, Kondor, Heavy Ionized Armor

I am not a moderator or developer and I do not work for ♞KIXEYE in any way, I'm just an Elder of the game

• LarsB
    LarsB
    Unicorn Overlord
    shocktowerpic2.jpg
    Shock Turret
    Stats:
    Damage Filters:
    VS. Infantry: Unknown
    VS. Vehicles: Best
    VS. Air: Can't Hit
    Lvl 1:
    Range: 350
    DPS: 16
    Lvl 5:
    Range: 450
    DPS: 24

Pros:
    -The Shock Turret is able to stun vehicles and the Hercules for a few seconds each shot
    -It does AoE, enabling it to stun multiple units each shot
    -It is the only turret that cannot be stunned by Shock Units
    Cons:
    -Very low dps
    -Not enough range to hit hellfires
    -High Power Consumption
    -It does not have a high enough RoF to permenantly shut down units

Use:
    Since the Shock Turret does almost no damage at all itself, it's best to use it in cmbination with towers that do have a high dps. The Shock Turret is more of a support tower to let other function more effectively. The unique feature of stunning units can be very useful to make towers with a slow RoF, like Mortar Towers or Plasma Cannons work better. Because it has AoE in contrary to the other Shock Units, it can stun a complete pack of tanks in one shot, greatly increasing the usefulness of this tower.

• LarsB
    LarsB
    Unicorn Overlord
    Placeholder for tower combo part I will make soon

• LarsB
    LarsB
    Unicorn Overlord
    Last Placeholder. You can post now :)

• Matthew Knowler
    Matthew Knowler
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Jul 2012 Posts: 827
    Nice!!! ;)
    WC : Level: 31 User ID: 1973863   Alliance: Total Anarchy
  • Upgrader
    Upgrader
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Jun 2012 Posts: 1,249
    Corrections:
    Mortar has 364 range at level 1
    Rocket Barrage Rate of Fire is 12.
    War Commander: LVL 33
  • LarsB
    LarsB
    Unicorn Overlord
    Nice!!! ;)

Upgrader wrote: »
    Corrections:
    Mortar has 364 range at level 1
    Rocket Barrage Rate of Fire is 12.

• The Exile-S2K
    The Exile-S2K
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined May 2012 Posts: 669
    Which is better Mortar or hellfire?
    mmm
  • LarsB
    LarsB
    Unicorn Overlord
    Spider-Man wrote: »
    Which is better Mortar or hellfire?

Definitely Mortar. The guide already says so:
    Use:
    The Hellfire Turret is a competitor of the Mortar Tower. Compared to the Mortar Tower it has higher dps, it is more effective against infantry, but it has a shorter range and a slower RoF. Since dps and range are the most important stats, the Hellfire Turret basically trades in range for dps. The way it is now, it is less useful than the Mortar Tower.

• TacomanWasTaken
    TacomanWasTaken
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Jul 2011 Posts: 6,397
    Nice guide you made, as always :D
    getting called a cheater, if you arent cheating just means you won
    Join our Clan! | Donation Link | Hannibal Boss Base |  Thanksgiving Video!   | Facebook Page | IGN: Tacoman
  • Fros-t
    Fros-t
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Mar 2012 Posts: 349
    The Lasers are not free.It takes like 2 mill of each resource to unlock them.At least this is how it is shown on mine.
    Fros-t
  • Upgrader
    Upgrader
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Jun 2012 Posts: 1,249
    Fros-t wrote: »
    The Lasers are not free.It takes like 2 mill of each resource to unlock them.At least this is how it is shown on mine.

With "free", he means you don't have to earn it, it's just sitting there waiting to be unlocked.
    War Commander: LVL 33
  • George Chalkias
    George Chalkias
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Nov 2011 Posts: 835
    This guide is way more better than mine LarsB ;)
    Senior member of War Commander wikia.Photographer of special events in WC Wikia. 

• Kurt Meyer
    Kurt Meyer
    Greenhorn
    Joined Sep 2012 Posts: 9
    Which is better for all around defense...the mortar or the laser?
  • LarsB
    LarsB
    Unicorn Overlord
    Kurt Meyer wrote: »
    Which is better for all around defense...the mortar or the laser?

Imo the laser, although the laser can't hit hellfires.

• Romeo17
    Romeo17
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Jan 2012 Posts: 451
    Is the laser turret better against mega tanks than the plasma turret?

Just thinking about a rocket barrage/plasma or laser combo, the base would be filled with gats with some snipers.
    Rocket barrage makes quick work of enemy hellfires and mortar baiters.
    Plasma or laser turret would destroy enemy tanks
    The gatling trucks would destroy air units and hellfire missiles
    Some snipers to kill any potential baiter that gets close.

While a all plasma turret combo with gats or flaks could work against every unit in this game in theory, in practice it would be bad because plasmas can be baited easily.
    It might work against spammers, but once they learn how to bait, you are screwed. Even snipers as baiter killer would be useless because they can only kill one infantry at a time.
    Against vehicles and groups of infantry, they are useless. And hellfire missiles in general are so slow that they can be dodged by dogs.

Also note that AA-units do have more range than their turret counterparts. Since AA units gets a 20% range boost against AA units

GT: 320*1.2=384
    FT: 340*1.2=408

MG: 345
    FG: 360

This does not apply to ground units, so the gatling truck is not as good as the MG to kill any baiter that gets too close.

Also, placing the rocket barrage behind any other turret will still allow the rocket barrage to hit a maxed hellfire, albeit...
    548(range RB)-70(placed behind any other turret)=478
    478(range RB behind turret)>468(range maxed hellfire)

It just barely outranges the hellfire when done in that configuration..
  • LarsB
    LarsB
    Unicorn Overlord
    Romeo17 wrote: »
    Is the laser turret better against mega tanks than the plasma turret?

Just thinking about a rocket barrage/plasma or laser combo, the base would be filled with gats with some snipers.
    Rocket barrage makes quick work of enemy hellfires and mortar baiters.
    Plasma or laser turret would destroy enemy tanks
    The gatling trucks would destroy air units and hellfire missiles
    Some snipers to kill any potential baiter that gets close.

While a all plasma turret combo with gats or flaks could work against every unit in this game in theory, in practice it would be bad because plasmas can be baited easily.
    It might work against spammers, but once they learn how to bait, you are screwed. Even snipers as baiter killer would be useless because they can only kill one infantry at a time.
    Against vehicles and groups of infantry, they are useless. And hellfire missiles in general are so slow that they can be dodged by dogs.

Also note that AA-units do have more range than their turret counterparts. Since AA units gets a 20% range boost against AA units

GT: 320*1.2=384
    FT: 340*1.2=408

MG: 345
    FG: 360

This does not apply to ground units, so the gatling truck is not as good as the MG to kill any baiter that gets too close.

Also, placing the rocket barrage behind any other turret will still allow the rocket barrage to hit a maxed hellfire, albeit...
    548(range RB)-70(placed behind any other turret)=478
    478(range RB behind turret)>468(range maxed hellfire)

It just barely outranges the hellfire when done in that configuration..

The Laser tower does sp;ash damage but does not kill megas in one shot. The Plasma does not do splash damage, but does kill a mega in one shot. Also, Lasers need less support than plasmas. But I'm going for a combination of both plasmas and laser towers...

• Jonestown1
    Jonestown1
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Aug 2012 Posts: 113
    Does this mean level 6 challengers outrange level 5 machine guns?
  • Endor
    Endor
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Sep 2012 Posts: 659
    Pixiestix wrote: »

Yes, and according to the range chart in this thread (http://forums.kixeye.com/showthread.php?t=246537), all tanks higher than Rhinos outrange machine guns at level 6 and above.
  • LarsB
    LarsB
    Unicorn Overlord
    Pixiestix wrote: »

Yes they do. Lvl 6 Paladins will also outrange lvl 5 Machine Guns.

• Ali_B
    Ali_B
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Sep 2012 Posts: 239
    Done it again Lars - great guide! :D
    WC ID; 7246863, Lvl; 34, Sector; 157, Join; Total Anarchy

Follow WC Tech on Facebook!

What would Brian Boitano do?

• begentle
    begentle
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Aug 2011 Posts: 5,802
    Oh wow! Finally looking for this guide! Good job Lars! Cannot wait for the turret combo part!

WC level 31 (Main)
    VC level 15 (Randomly playing)
    DD level 30 (Randomly playing)
    BP level 30 (Not active)
    BYM level 45 (Quit)

Support form

Yes I am a old member of the forum, not active already.
    Proud Singaporean!
    -BeGentle

• Archimede s
    Archimede s
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Aug 2012 Posts: 1,315
    Think you might want to include a quick sentence about changing the turret out requires the dozer. Despite that minor issue, very well prepared
  • ColeHawk
    ColeHawk
    Potential Threat
    Joined May 2012 Posts: 33
    so can the lazer turret hit lvl 8 megas when its behind another turret?
  • Daevian
    Daevian
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Nov 2011 Posts: 231
    Very nice guide.
    Hopefully the rocket barrage can be made more useful, since it's the only 'useful' HF defense.
  • Justin_The_Animal
    Justin_The_Animal
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Feb 2012 Posts: 1,055
    First I want to say another great guide. Something to add is that the rate of fire for the plasma turret isn't as slow as it seems. I recently went against one that was maxed and it killed 3 level 8 megas before they could get to it. They were in a row behind each other but that's still really good. One thing I might ask for is the upgrade time and equp time on them. That would allow people to better decide what order to upgrade everything.
  • kevin schill
    kevin schill
    Greenhorn
    Joined Mar 2012 Posts: 19
    i totaly enjoyed reading this ,answerd a lot of questions for me. thank's for sharing this ,great stuff.
  • CRY_TIME
    CRY_TIME
    Potential Threat
    Joined Sep 2012 Posts: 99
    LarsB,

In your description on the Machine Gun Turret, Pros section it says "It can hit both land and ground". Just a minor mistake.
    User ID is: 4316952
    Name : BIZZ-NASTY
    Level : 32

C'MON MAN!
  • LarsB
    LarsB
    Unicorn Overlord
    BIZZ-NASTY wrote: »
    LarsB,

In your description on the Machine Gun Turret, Pros section it says "It can hit both land and ground". Just a minor mistake.
    Well spotted ;)

• retaliate
    retaliate
    Potential Threat
    Joined Jun 2012 Posts: 56
    Very good/usefull guide. Could u answer 1 question plz. Can a level 4 or 5 flak tower hit a level 8 warhawk when placed behind a mortar?
    User id, 5216517. Level 32. Sector 179. Clans: 179Recon + Peace keepers alliance.