War commander-:lvl 39
    sector:165

Call me lost, for that is what i am.
  • Samuel Tsao
    Samuel Tsao
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Nov 2011 Posts: 863
    kingj0n wrote: »
    You can detect a sub at different ranges.

How do you know that they were at max range?
    They can shoot and run. When they air up, they may appear at max range.
    But go down in the water again and voila, hit you and run.

IF they have the stuff, they can do it without you seeing even if you both are driving cudas..

he fired at me while he was surfaced so i knew he was at max
    gotmilk78, TPC alliance, end game player, non-coiner

bp: lvl 55 proud owner of barracuda Goliath, striker cruiser, e battecruiser destroyer indracdictor, mc, mcx, dread x, spectre
    "difference between insec hitting and not? u can see the **** people say when u destroy them"
    i judge a player by himself, not by his affiliation
    user id: 2298065 think im hacking caused you got destroyed? well try me
  • Samuel Tsao
    Samuel Tsao
    Strike-force Captain
    any ship can detect a cuda at 35 range,50 bonus detection range in the stalker,and 25 for the sonar 3. 35+50+25.

the bonus stalker range does not combine with a cuda they are seperated and he had no stalker either

bp: lvl 55 proud owner of barracuda Goliath, striker cruiser, e battecruiser destroyer indracdictor, mc, mcx, dread x, spectre
    "difference between insec hitting and not? u can see the **** people say when u destroy them"
  • FBgamer
    FBgamer
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Nov 2011 Posts: 616
    Cyaneye wrote: »
    Actually, detection range depends on the sub, according to Paul Preece. The Detection range for a predator is 30, 35 for a barracuda, and 45 for a stalker.

This is correct. Unfortunately, it will always be disputed. It's just one of those things where there's so much misinformation and misunderstanding.

People should just add sonar 3 to a stalker (or Battle Cruiser) and see for themselves how far the detection gets. I regularly kill subs with 4 SFB3 assault missile ships and a stalker with sonar 3. It's always fun to see the opposing submerged subs getting detected even before they get into missile range.
  • CurlyPubes
    CurlyPubes
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Feb 2012 Posts: 823
    With my bc's I can see stalkers as soon as they're in assault mort range...quite nice, lol
    SOS? Sorry, my magic fleet that sucks attackers out of bases and fixes your buildings is repairing.  
  • Cyaneye
    Cyaneye
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Sep 2011 Posts: 992
    The M wrote: »
    So where on earth does it say (or a kixeye employee comfirmed) that prepators have a base sonar range of 25?

Cyaneye is 100% correct as far as I understand this.

Glad to see at least one other person has the right idea when it comes to detection - pretty simple, really. It's when you get into detection masking that it gets complicated enough so that even I'm not entirely sure.
    "Jack of all trades, master of none."
    The M wrote: »
    Cyaneye is 100% correct as far as I understand this.
    While the submarine is vastly superior to the boat in every way, over 97% of people still use boats for aquatic transportation.
  • Joseph Weller
    Joseph Weller
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Dec 2011 Posts: 527
    Was the lead ship in the fleet a battlecruiser by any chance??
    How doth the little crocodile
    Improve his shining tail,
    And pour the waters of the Nile
    On every golden scale!
    How cheerfully he seems to grin,
    How neatly spread his claws,
    And welcome little fishes in
    With gently smiling jaws!
  • Samuel Tsao
    Samuel Tsao
    Strike-force Captain
    Was the lead ship in the fleet a battlecruiser by any chance??

a seawolf, a dead one at that

• xRobx
    xRobx
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Apr 2012 Posts: 202
    FBgamer wrote: »
    This is correct. Unfortunately, it will always be disputed. It's just one of those things where there's so much misinformation and misunderstanding.

People should just add sonar 3 to a stalker (or Battle Cruiser) and see for themselves how far the detection gets. I regularly kill subs with 4 SFB3 assault missile ships and a stalker with sonar 3. It's always fun to see the opposing submerged subs getting detected even before they get into missile range.

I used to Heavily dispute this fact, however I added sonar 2 to a stalker and put with sfb2 ships and the enemy subs are seen and shot b4 they get into torp range, with only using sonar 2 its literally just before havok range but it is b4 it, so with sonar 3 it would be way out there, the stalker with sonar 2 only mixed in with a sfb2 missile fleet with laser of levis and 3 barges i keep as an outside guard and it killed a cuda fleet while i was sleeping, the stalker with sonar does out range havoks .
  • RoboTech
    RoboTech
    Potential Threat
    Joined Dec 2011 Posts: 55
    All i hear is about the range of sonars on subs and the range of torpedo's which you have all this range to detect but your torpedo's wont reach.So what do you do ? I maybe wrong I don't know but what if you put sonar3 pod on a stalker than add caterpilla drive 3. You'll be able to see them from increase range but you also cut their ability short, than you can get closer to them to fire on without being said. Jut remember you need to keep your distance when the timer hits the half way time . Basically you have to do hit and run.Takes longer but i think it would be effective.Give me some Ideas all i would be interested in interesting builds and theories.
  • Capt_Cannabis
    Capt_Cannabis
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Dec 2011 Posts: 611
    quick question for anyone that has the set up can cuddas with sub armor and cat 3 and assault torps fire outside of battle cruiser sonar3 detection range

i was thinking about changing up my cuddas abit and wanted to know if id just get torn up by sfb 3 boats with a stalker or bc

a link to a video would be great
    BloodReign 66
    been to alot of places cant remember most 
    prizes basically everything 

[QUOTE=Deadly_Jam;2530995]just refresh till it works<---answer to all battle pirate problems :)[/QUOTE]
  • FBgamer
    FBgamer
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Nov 2011 Posts: 616
    RoboTech wrote: »
    Give me some Ideas all i would be interested in interesting builds and theories.

In my opinion, the best way to hunt subs with minimal damage to yourself is to use Battle Cruisers or Stalkers (if you don't have Battle Cruisers). Both have the same detection range and work great with Sonar 3. Pair them with other ships (more BCs or whatever) equipped with missiles (preferably assault missiles), SFB (preferably level 3) and laser guidance. This setup should kill all subs unless the subs have caterpiller drive. In which case, you may or may not kill them depending on the speed of your ships and your skill.
    quick question for anyone that has the set up can cuddas with sub armor and cat 3 and assault torps fire outside of battle cruiser sonar3 detection range

BC with sonar 3 will detect standard cudas at a range of 110. If the cudas are equipped with cat drive 3 and sub armor, then the detection range drops down to either 39 or 42 (I'm not sure how exactly it's calculated). Anyway, the point is that the detection range is now less than the range of your torpedoes. In other words, you can fire at the BCs without them firing at you.

I'm actually in the same boat as you. My cudas have engines, thrusters and battery. I now need to refit with cat drive to be more competitive but I can't decide which one to drop. Do I get rid of thruster or battery? I really like both.
  • xRobx
    xRobx
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Apr 2012 Posts: 202
    The object is to put one stalker with sonar on a fleet of surface ships like sw or even Levi. The surface ship need laser missiles and sfb, now when your stalker sees the enemy sub fleet the rest of your fleet will also and they will shoot the subs long before they get with in torp range