The Base Planner

• Digger Jones
    Digger Jones
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 1,393
    personally I'd use 3 base layouts only. If more I'd suggest people "pay" for more options.

The biggest issue I have is seeing where to put wall pieces when it's covered by a building. If the planner was a top down view, like in BYM, that would be fine.

Added into the Base planner, it would be cool to be able to deply a "fleet" into it to see ranges and overlaps of fire arcs.
    Sunk a DreadX with a Frigate.. I'm not bothered about what you have.. I'll find the smallest thing to take it out.
  • gissur
    gissur
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Dec 2011 Posts: 139
    As im trying to keep an open mind about the changes in the game (sometimes it is hard for me yes) but I would love to get some feedback from Kixeye on the tread. Just to say what they think of our ideas.
  • SneakYbiatch
    SneakYbiatch
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Jan 2012 Posts: 350
    • Aside from the issues already addressed above (building/tile placement & walls), what do you find is currently the most cumbersome aspect of base design?
      I would say I find two things a bit annoying: 1) Having to indivisually check each turret for the special it has, which I would assume it would be tougher with the proposed planner as rearranging turrets at the planner's out merit will require further replacement to correctly position turrets of same weapon but different special to my liking. 2) If you click on one turret, the range display of all base turrets show. An option to limit the range view to selected turret, turrets of same weapons or all turrets would be usefull.
    • Realistically, how many different, saved base layouts would you actually use?
      I would say 2-3 different set-ups
    • The default setting for the Base Planner is to always center your base (like centering your text in a Word document). Would you have any need for the Base Planner to allow you to left or right (north/south) justify your base?
      That would be usefull. For example having the widest possible water space between the beginning of my gauntlet and the edge of the screen will trigger a time delay for the attacker (20-30 seconds) till they actually get into the gauntlet.
    • If you were to request one additional feature for the Base Planner, what would it be?
      Pretty much summed up in the answer to question 1

Nice move this will be.
    SneakYbiatch
    LEVEL 35
    Alliance: You don't need one when you're a One Man Army !!
    “Your mother is so poor that she can't even pay attention” Eric Cartman

RR4(Battleship), BI 1(Dread), BI 2(Scorpion), BI 3(Barracuda), BI 4(Goliath), BI 5(Strike Cruiser), BI 6(Battle Cruiser, HH-A & Interdictor)
  • Larry L Geiser
    Larry L Geiser
    Greenhorn
    Joined Jul 2012 Posts: 10
    fubar1971 wrote: »
    the only other thing i can think of is the ability to change the orientation (direction) of certain buildings(shipyard and dock) to best fit the space availability and reduce the chance of being able to snipe the dock. being able to rotate them by either 45 or 90 degree increments.

The buildings have a square design, even the dock, etc. So it's not going to make any difference to rotate them.
  • Mi Lady
    Mi Lady
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Aug 2011 Posts: 259
    Great idea. Moving walls is the most annoying of changing base layout. I think I would like to have at least 5, plus the one you are using, different base layout saved (since it seems the systems used the number 6 for things it would fit). Not really sure what you are asking in question 3 but from what I gather the bases wont be on an angel any longer which would be nice to have different options on lay outs. 1 required thing would be that when you are moving one tower not all of the other towers light up. Makes placing them difficult to see through all the red. Maybe an option to turn on/off all tower range would be neat.
  • firesniper
    firesniper
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Mar 2012 Posts: 164
    • Aside from the issues already addressed above (building/tile placement & walls), what do you find is currently the most cumbersome aspect of base design?
    • The default setting for the Base Planner is to always center your base (like centering your text in a Word document). Would you have any need for the Base Planner to allow you to left or right (north/south) justify your base?
    • If you were to request one additional feature for the Base Planner, what would it be?

i usually find the 2 tile opening to be as you put it cumbersome, because when we try to make it a certain way we cannot make it a one tile place so we could place the tiles they way we want it, what i wuld suggest as a fix to ths is allow us to put one tile spaces but we cannot leave the base planner until we fix the one tile space issue.

With the multiple layouts, i would usually like to have 3-4 layout, simply to test a few out, then go to the one that works best with me.
    Alliance- 375 Regulators
    Firesniper Out
  • 00zau
    00zau
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Feb 2012 Posts: 6,403
    • The ability to drag the ENTIRE base up/down/left/right would be useful. However, a 'base centerer' (alluded to in third question) might be enough.
    • I MIGHT USE dozens of designs if you LET me. I would likely NEED about 4.
    • Always centering base is all I would want.
    • A visual way to see the levels of the various buildings at-a-glance would have been nice when I was still levelling them up. Toggling on/off the (correct) weapon ranges (one or all, patrol ship and turret-based) would be nice. Oh, and a 'monster baiter'-type feature to AI TEST the layouts would be nice.

I like the idea of an auto-center option. Just let us draw it up any old way, then try to draw the white box around it in a way that fits.
  • thomasthetank
    thomasthetank
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Jan 2012 Posts: 541
    Wow, this is the first time in a long time I have to admit...I like this idea! Have re-done my base 4 times in the last month trying to tweak, and always cumbersome due to the too far from center issues trying arrange. Then if not happy I can't just un-do it. This is truly a fantastic idea!
    Used to have fun here.
  • Darren Chenery
    Darren Chenery
    Greenhorn
    Joined May 2011 Posts: 24
    apologies if this has already been suggested but 20 pages is just too much for my lil brain to take in,
    the feature I would like is to be able to drag and drop terrain (complete with whatever building occupies that bit of terrain) also being able to store wall pieces would be nice too.
    I'd only need 2 saved bases, the current one and the experimental one, and a 7 or 14 day cooldown between designs would stop players from constantly swapping designs
    I don't accept friend requests from anyone unless I know who they are, so save your time, and don't bother.
  • Kieran B R Marchant
    Kieran B R Marchant
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 233
    I love this, just wish it was around many, many moons ago.

Swag;
    > Allow for the entire base to be selected and moved around within permitted grid.
    > Aligning base North, South etc would not be needed if above was possible. Only reason I can see to align the base in one extremity is so that you could have a killing ground at one end to position your fleets outside of base.
    > Could we rotate the Dock and Shipyard with this facility?

I'm loving this new found desire to communicate with us about OUR game, thank you.
    Level 83
    Custard

Player since March 2011
  • Kieran B R Marchant
    Kieran B R Marchant
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 233
    Should have also said;
    3 saved base designs should be plenty.
    Level 83
    Custard

Player since March 2011
  • Killing-Time
    Killing-Time
    Greenhorn
    Joined Jul 2012 Posts: 12
    I would think a maximum of 5 saved base designs would be more than adequate for this.

Overall this is an excellent idea, im very keen on base designing, but I find the moving/juggling of tiles and walls etc to be very cumbersome, frustrating and after several hours it becomes a real drudge. The centering feature or the ability to drag the entire base around would be superb. (there are alot of players who are intmidated and very frustrated by the current system, I have a good handle on it after many hours of faffing around, many players dont have the time or the inclination to subject themselves to hours of shuffling tiles and buildings)

My biggest extra wish for this is for Configurable, user controlled base tester fleet where you can control the ships to empoly real tactics and set the type of ships and weapon loadouts on the attacking fleet) to enable you to see how the configuration fares against an assault from a high spec base kill fleet. This enables you to see how the various ranged weapons work without subjecting your buddies to repair their favourite base fleets.
    game name - KillingTime
    Group - NZIGE
    Level 55, 6 million id number
    raid prizes - yeah i've got stuff, always room for more....
    Sector - many

• Whiskey_Seven
    Whiskey_Seven
    Potential Threat
    Joined Feb 2012 Posts: 65
    3 bases would be plenty to store... two for swaping out and 1 for developing designs to test. Would be nice if you were able to store turrets you've built for the different bases so you don't have to rebuild them each time. On one base design it might want vics where on another you might want sents etc... but if you have to refit turrets every time that would not be good.
  • BearCaptain
    BearCaptain
    Potential Threat
    Joined May 2012 Posts: 53
    Swag i believe u need to set it the same way as u set up the relocated. one time per 7 days. because think about this many pirates hit base like 3 to 4 different time in same day one to take fleets out and one to take few turrents out then another fleet to flatten the base4. if it was unlimited then they could change the whole game and base will not be flatten due changing base formats because they can add new set of fleet on patrol when changing so. just a thought
  • Captainallen
    Captainallen
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jan 2012 Posts: 152
    The ability to test it with our fleets
  • Vman
    Vman
    Potential Threat
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 62
    Swag,
    would this be similar to the base designing tool in BYM ?
    If so, it would be vary handy, (bit late for players like me that are happy with their base & rarely change it),
    But very handy for the lower lvl players getting to grips with the game.
    I loved the addition Kixeye added into BYM where I can modify my base without actually changing a thing until I was happy with it & clicked the "apply" button.
    Maybe you guys should use something similar for BP as this feature is very handy indeed, then I could possibly have 2 or more base layouts saved & to switch between designs, just click apply as i do in BYM.
    Food for thought there Swag & Kixeye.
    Cheers

• Mike_Storm
    Mike_Storm
    Greenhorn
    Joined Aug 2012 Posts: 22
    It would be nice to see an outline of the allowed area to place tiles/land. As additional feature I could imagine a weapons range finder for fleet weapons where you can place various vessels with certain weapons to see what the impact would be.
    -M-S-
  • Robert Peterson
    Robert Peterson
    Greenhorn
    Joined Apr 2012 Posts: 1
    i would be happy with say up to 5 "saved" base designs. And the "one additional feature" that i would like to see is a quick link to it (not have to go into OP to find it), and when it comes up let it give us a small snap-shot of the bases we already saved and then the option to go into base design instead of automatically going into the grid...(hope that made sense).
  • HOSS
    HOSS
    Greenhorn
    Joined Aug 2012 Posts: 4
    My one additional request would be: A range measuring ruler of some type, i.e. in the base planner click on the turret that was just set and select "in range of" and it would open a window showing the weapons that this turret is in range of from a spot that was marked on map. this would allow us to plan for the 84 range and for Cutlasss with SFB III etc. ..... also when arranging turrets to see only the range for the specific turret you are moving vs. all the dang turrets... much less confusing. *yeah that's two requests, big woop*
    HOSS-UT
    lvl: 31
    Alliance: United Titans
    Sectors: 49, 93, 97, 99, 125, 126, 127, 129, 181, 357, 398, 426, 462
  • robertg
    robertg
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Nov 2011 Posts: 564
    excellent idea, 3 base designs would do it for me

BUT i sincerely hope that a damaged base can not be changed!
    no sudden design change after a prep please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Brian Rothoff
    Brian Rothoff
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined May 2012 Posts: 167
    Between this and the new levels, I think kixeye has taken 2 steps forward and zero back, unlike updates in the past. As far as the base planner, some sort of a storage building to put things into so items still on the map can be moved around and then you can come back and decide where (if room) to add the stored items. You would have to have certain items back on map, such as OP and dock, but could leave Oil Rigs or something that is not upgrading or researching. I also think that if you are in "design" mode you need to have some sort of protection from attacks. Would hate to be moving all land from one side to other and get attacked and leave a direct path to warehouse & OP ( not to mention the Missle pad with its 6 year repair time). Now we all have had some sort of crash while in game or forgot to do something that has left us vunerable for a few minutes. If you had to chose to save & apply the changes that way if you got booted (shockwave crashes & restart game) you wont be caught with your base in mid design.
  • Rosie, yes I'm a dude
    Rosie, yes I'm a dude
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Aug 2011 Posts: 706
    Should have also said;
    3 saved base designs should be plenty.

Exactly what i was thinking! That way you can have one design for mortar, rush, and missile defense. Then just change them up as needed.

I Like the concept.
    [QUOTE=Spack]frankly are being led away by the promise of pixel ****.[/QUOTE]
  • BRAD21
    BRAD21
    Potential Threat
    Joined May 2012 Posts: 54
    I don't know if someone has said this already but I didn't feel like reading the 20 pages of posts to find out. But i would like to see a rotate base function, such as rotate 90 degrees clock wise or counter clock wise. It would be nice to change the position of my entrance after someone hits me it may see trivial but I think it would be a nice feature. Again I'm not sure if someone has said this already and if so sorry for the duplicate post.
  • X-4-M-3
    X-4-M-3
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined Nov 2011 Posts: 1,897
    I would like to see an inverse/rotate button. If you design a base with the entrance to the SE and you wanted it either SW NW or NE you could click a button to see which you like best, without having to do a complete redesign. Not sure is this is the same and the north/south left/right justification you spoke of in the post.

Ken Nattrass
    Loki
    Sector 93
    Level 32
  • duncan
    duncan
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Jun 2011 Posts: 489
    1 thing i would like to see is the ability to line the land tiles ups with the edges of the map rather than the permanent 45degree angle they sit in at the moment

the way base designing is set up at the moment only allows for a certain number of designs,having the abilty to set the angle of the land tiles would greatly increase the designs available.

another suggestion i have is for a sandbox type area on which we would be able to write messages,i know this sounds daft but a lot of players are in the habit of using walls to write the name of their alliance or other things.

other things that would be very helpfull to this feature would be, full tower ranges including special range increases ect.
    also it would be helpfull to be able to add in a base fleet while in the edit mode and see exactly what the weapon ranges are and obviously the move radius.

one very important thing though is that this new designer building should not take up more than 1 tile of land unless we get 5 new tiles for building it as land tiles are tight enough as it is now with many players deleting their 5th warehouse in favour of being able to protect their launch pad.
  • RyujiThePirate
    RyujiThePirate
    Potential Threat
    Joined Jun 2011 Posts: 97
    NOTE: Make sure you have read the rules for posting in this forum: http://forums.kixeye.com/showthread.php?t=185189 . Also be sure to read this post in it's entirety before you reply.

We want to give players a more streamlined method for designing bases.

We are currently working on early designs for the Base Planner. This interface will allow players to open up a planning grid on which land tiles and buildings can be arranged. When you are finished with your design on the grid, you can save your design, and execute the changes to your base with one click of the mouse.

One of areas of base design that can be the most time consuming is wall placement. There will be a feature, currently dubbed “autowalls”, that will allow users to easily reposition many wall segments at one time. This feature will automatically detect the correct wall segment that visually matches the direction the wall is facing. Once a wall is placed, you can manually change the visual type of an individual wall segment.

The automatic function of “autowalls” will be disabled on existing walls to preserve existing base designs. Newly constructed wall segments (including those placed in the Base Planner) will be automatically oriented by default. We will be removing the 3 different shapes of walls from the Build menu and replacing them with the single, more universal shape.

In addition, we’re making sure to give players control over when their base configuration is saved. Experiment with illegal setups along the way - the tool will validate your changes when ready, as opposed to every single step along the way. This should dramatically speed up the time required to rearrange bases, while also encouraging people to experiment with different base layouts.

As this is a feature being developed heavily on player feedback, we want to make sure that we are giving you as many utilities as possible. Please take the time to answer some of these questions:

So do you mean when u say we could save a design and we could go back to later and change it back with one click if we do not like the one we change to? Because i believe that is the most cumbersome part of base design the time it takes to change back. The fear that your new design is not as good as your old one so you do not change for that simple reason because changing back would take to much time
    Killing Drakes and Taking names :spurtz:
    (Lv33) Traveler, Helper, Conquer
    Winner of the HH-A, Barracuda, Goliath, Strike Cruiser, Battle Cruiser, Destroyer, Light Cruiser and Interdictor
  • RyujiThePirate
    RyujiThePirate
    Potential Threat
    Joined Jun 2011 Posts: 97
    I think another feature that would be great on this would be the ability to set out guard fleet to move to an area and set there it would make it easier to make our guard fleet do what we want because if u set it to a move a little to go forward it charges boats witch is kinda stupid.
    Killing Drakes and Taking names :spurtz:
    (Lv33) Traveler, Helper, Conquer
    Winner of the HH-A, Barracuda, Goliath, Strike Cruiser, Battle Cruiser, Destroyer, Light Cruiser and Interdictor
  • Drawbar
    Drawbar
    Greenhorn
    Joined Apr 2012 Posts: 15
    Aside from the issues already addressed above (building/tile placement & walls), what do you find is currently the most cumbersome aspect of base design?
    Placing landtiles and not be able to drag them to another place.
    Realistically, how many different, saved base layouts would you actually use?
    4/5 I think. But I can see problems with baseattacks when we're able to fast-switch between 1st (prep) and second attack. Then only make it one design please ;)
    The default setting for the Base Planner is to always center your base (like centering your text in a Word document). Would you have any need for the Base Planner to allow you to left or right (north/south) justify your base?
    Maybe use for op4 and lower.
    If you were to request one additional feature for the Base Planner, what would it be?
    "store" all items when building, so no shifting is needed (basicly build from scratch)
  • someone_you_know
    someone_you_know
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined May 2012 Posts: 286
    Drawbar wrote: »

Realistically, how many different, saved base layouts would you actually use?
    4/5 I think. But I can see problems with baseattacks when we're able to fast-switch between 1st (prep) and second attack. Then only make it one design please ;)

Well. they can block planner from working if a building in repair. hence. once prepped. you can't change layout ;)
    [QUOTE=The R.;2809885]The insolent ignorance and atrocious arrogance Kixeye has yet again displayed here beggars believe, and proves, once and for all and beyond the shadow of a doubt, that they do not care the least, tiniest bit about their customers' opinion. [/QUOTE] 
    [QUOTE=silentraeth;2207352]However this is Battle Pirates and Kixeye, the company with a unicorn for a logo, is in charge of it.[/QUOTE] 
    [QUOTE=Hast at work;2153477]THIS is the bullshit you people have been cooking up while your core gameplay gets staler than a mummies ****. [/QUOTE]
  • fredbloggsXIII
    fredbloggsXIII
    Potential Threat
    Joined Apr 2012 Posts: 92
    The ability to use a fleet to test the new plan out would be good :)

Also, how about an option to copy your own base design into the planner so you can tweak it?

Sorry, but thirdly, how about a few more land tiles??
This discussion has been closed.