The Base Planner

• Shizrocks123
    Shizrocks123
    Greenhorn
    Joined Aug 2012 Posts: 4
    This is awesome good job kixeye you keep make the gaming exp better and better . Just a thought you should make a new shipyard for refits and make it so ships take less time too build to build some fleet its takes 3 months or better unless you are coining you will see revenue go through the roof a lot more people will coin ty for all the great work you have done so far . Game name shiz leader of sector 80 and Brotherhood sectors visited 1,46,66,79,80,81,133,144,236,284,399,425 have made many great friend along the way this is by far the best game ffb has and kixeye has made the most interactive game by far...............KIXEYE ROCKS :D the centering of bases would be a good add too
  • jonny cabbage
    jonny cabbage
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Dec 2011 Posts: 1,345
    hmm

no negative feedback

this thread might stay open

• fiemosport13
    fiemosport13
    Greenhorn
    Joined Aug 2012 Posts: 1
    I think it would be cool if were using the base planner we could use fake or mock ships to attack our design that we are working on to see how well it defends against differnt ships and weapons
  • zork
    zork
    Greenhorn
    Joined Jul 2012 Posts: 1
    Hi I think it is a good idea to give lower players a better chance and keep them interested in the game well done Kixeye
  • Maranwe
    Maranwe
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Jun 2012 Posts: 3,782
    hm, can we store our buildings when we want to change our layout? For now You must delete some land, move it somewhere else and put some buildings on it. If we will be able to store buildings, we can design our island and later, when it is done, put buildings on our island.
    Anthony:

There  is no 'Stealing' there is only 'Taking.' If you don't want your  stuff taken, then protect it. If you don't properly protect it,  don't whine about your failure to secure what you erroneously felt  was your property.

Sometimes, even  I can't tell if I am being sarcastic or if I am really just a ****.  :-x
  • Maranwe
    Maranwe
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Jun 2012 Posts: 3,782
    Aldo wrote: »
    it would also be very nice to be able to see the set up of the base from map view. how many times you hit a base North and the base has a south entrance? maybe just make those bases all different... and more a look a like to the original layout.

nope, you can re-enter again :-x
    Anthony:

There  is no 'Stealing' there is only 'Taking.' If you don't want your  stuff taken, then protect it. If you don't properly protect it,  don't whine about your failure to secure what you erroneously felt  was your property.

Sometimes, even  I can't tell if I am being sarcastic or if I am really just a ****.  :-x
  • FBgamer
    FBgamer
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Nov 2011 Posts: 616
    Awesome! This will be a great addition to the game! It's about time too. :p

"Aside from the issues already addressed above (building/tile placement & walls), what do you find is currently the most cumbersome aspect of base design?"

Not sure about "most" but one that comes to mind is "Can't create narrow channels." Would be nice if I get this error AFTER I'm done moving land tiles around.

"Realistically, how many different, saved base layouts would you actually use? "

Realistically, 2. The one I'm using now and a new or backup one. Perhaps 3, tops.

"The default setting for the Base Planner is to always center your base (like centering your text in a Word document). Would you have any need for the Base Planner to allow you to left or right (north/south) justify your base?"

Rather than have any kind of left/right justify, I would like to be able to select and move the whole base up/down/left/right with either arrow keys or click-&-drag. One possible use-case for this is that I can position the entrance of my base as close as possible to the

"If you were to request one additional feature for the Base Planner, what would it be?"

The ability to plan a base with buildings I haven't built yet or don't even have the capability of building yet. Or, for example, the ability to plan an OP5 base even though I'm still on OP4.
  • ZeepySea
    ZeepySea
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Apr 2012 Posts: 330
    I say one free save slot and 2 extra slots for coins, one time purchase. Makes 3....Also don't allow them to use it if their base is damaged and NOT in a bubble.

I can just see it, you prep someone take out their guard fleet and possibly a turret or 2..They hit the new base design which basically puts the entrance on the other side from where it was and their guard fleet sitting there just waiting to pound them.
  • ByteSyze
    ByteSyze
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined May 2012 Posts: 300
    Realistically, how many different, saved base layouts would you actually use? Many - the ability to save multiple designs would be nice.
    The default setting for the Base Planner is to always center your base (like centering your text in a Word document). Would you have any need for the Base Planner to allow you to left or right (north/south) justify your base? Yes - bases designs vary and all are not centered.
    If you were to request one additional feature for the Base Planner, what would it be? The ability to include guard fleet placement while building design.
    It's a game - have fun, click repair, then have fun again.

• blksvt
    blksvt
    Potential Threat
    Joined May 2011 Posts: 77
    I think it would be cool if were using the base planner we could use fake or mock ships to attack our design that we are working on to see how well it defends against differnt ships and weapons

i agree. i think it would be awesome, once you planned a design if you could make mock fleets to attack it with. that way you would have an idea of how well it would hold up in the actual game. it would give players a chance to come up with designs that would defend well against most fleets. this is a great idea to add to the game. good job kixeye.(wow i haven't been able to say that in a while lol)
    Blksvt-SBS Level 55
    SBS Strike Team Member
    Hulls owed cuda, toilet, strike cruiser, destroyer, light cruiser, battle cruiser, battleship, strike cruiser, interdictor, sea scorpion A, corvette, hammerhead B, dread X, spectre, and super fortress
    current sector 413
    Sector visited 60, 61, 367, 406, 407, 413
  • Graham Bird
    Graham Bird
    Greenhorn
    Joined Aug 2011 Posts: 21
    Not sure if have been mentioned before here... but would like ability to rotate whole base designs. think would be good if several people get to know your base layout and is easier than just re-designing in the short term.
  • Dizzy Bryan High
    Dizzy Bryan High
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Dec 2010 Posts: 108
    Excellent to hear you are thinking of this feaure.

A maxumum of 4 saved layouts,
    You can redesign your base through the designer at any time.
    Once you have switched to a previously saved layout and left the designer, you cannot load in another layout for 24hrs.
    (the last bit is important otherwise people will constanly switch heir entrance/layout in between atacks)

To be able to move the layout up down left right, i would prefer than having left right center justification, would give more possibilities.

Although i would love a way to share base designs, please please please do not add this feature, it makes people lazy, by all means people should be able to copy someones base, but they should do it themselves, having an AUTOBUILD my base feauture, will only make players weak and stop them from learning how too build a good base.

Sounds like you have the wall problem under control, my biggest headache with the current way of redesigning the base.

There should definatley be a way to clear all buildings/walls off the map into a "store Area", that way the land tiles can be plaed and then the buildings without constanly having to move things back and forward to make space.
    All buildings need to be taken from this "Store" and placed on the layout before it can be saved/used.

The abillity to be able to toggle the ranges on/off on each invididual turret.

Please no icons so people can view ranges of attacking ships, that makes things far too easy, the way the designer is going to be it will be easy enough to make adjustments sould he design need it.

I dont know about the abillity to rotate non square buildings, this adds an extra challenge when trying to make op/dock safe. being able to rotate them makes things too easy.
    BP ID: #64541 -BubbleGun-OSP - LVL 66
    Born in sector 20, Currently in sector 301
    I hit in sector, including my home sector, If you ever see me in your sector expect the same.
    If you don't like it then hit me back, if you are too weak to hit me back, that's probably because you live in a no-hitting in sector, sector.
    Memorials are just FREE XP
  • BlackSabbath
    BlackSabbath
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Feb 2012 Posts: 346
    How about linking fleet slots to base designs. For example...You have base design A, and you want the ships that are in fleet slot 8 to go with it. Then, you have base design B, and you want the ships that are in fleet slot 3 to go with that. One simple click, the base layout changes and, provided the fleet is docked, the chosen fleet slot is inserted in the base. With all the patrol ranges, ships direction and location already done.
    I love Rock n Roll....it satisfies My Soul.....and if that`s all there is.......It aint So Bad !!!.....Rock n Roll...
  • Cpt_Kraken
    Cpt_Kraken
    Greenhorn
    Joined Dec 2011 Posts: 9
    - Aside from wall placement, even more so, the most cumbersome thing I run into is having to dismantle sections of my base that aren't a problem (usually opening the side of my channel, leaving the base vulnerable if unbubbled) in order to create an extra land mass to simply swap buildings of the same size. I always thought we should be able to drop one on the other & they insta-swap. Prime example is pulling a lab into a safer central spot while researching.
    - The more set up saves the better but I'd be happy with 3
    - It should allow free shifting of the base in all directions. It's a real bummer realizing you're gonna run out of space after designing 1/2 a base and this can happen in any direction.
    - A temporary storage for buildings to get them out of the way. Of course the plan wouldn't be executable without everything on the board. Also as a previous post mentioned, an AI attack option much like the monster-baiter in BYM which would allow us to choose the attacking fleets make up and direction would be icing on the cake. Not only would this greatly improve players understanding of base defense but provide hours of fun while waiting for months to pass as our new fleets build
  • Graham Bird
    Graham Bird
    Greenhorn
    Joined Aug 2011 Posts: 21
    Think the main bugbear at the moment is placing/changing walls... if this can be changed to make it easier I think a lot of people will be much happier when changing bases around.
  • TIMIAD
    TIMIAD
    Potential Threat
    Joined Jan 2012 Posts: 66
    +1000

Swag this is about the best idea I have heard of late. I use several different base designers already but I still have to manually move everything around to get the desired base. That takes loads of time, time I could be using to destroy bases. So how soon will we see a working model of this? I am hoping real soon, cause I need to redesign my base. I can't wait to see the final product.
    Just remember, it's a game. Everything repairs.
    "Of all the things I've loved and lost, I miss my mind the most." Ozzy Osborn
  • TIMIAD
    TIMIAD
    Potential Threat
    Joined Jan 2012 Posts: 66
    hmm

no negative feedback

I would pay for this feature, Just like paying for a ship build. But once you payed for it its yours.
    Just remember, it's a game. Everything repairs.
    "Of all the things I've loved and lost, I miss my mind the most." Ozzy Osborn
  • Jason WTF
    Jason WTF
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Nov 2011 Posts: 106
    This is the best, most practical idea I've seen from the keyboard of Kixeye in a long time. I can't wait for this feature to come on line. Please can we have more developments that aide the current game format rather than changing it!
  • murad_the_punisher
    murad_the_punisher
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Nov 2011 Posts: 197
    this good idea also i would like to see my turret range in the planner
    lvl53:spurtz:

Alliance :BIA(brother in arms)

Standing on your feet gives you a small area in the world ..
    but Standing on your principles gives you the whole world.!
    :cool:
  • wizzpete
    wizzpete
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Aug 2011 Posts: 489
    A long overdue facility and one I would welcome. Having just been through the pain of a redesign, it's still fresh in mind! I would probably consider 4 saved designs sufficient; there are a number of different layouts I would change to, especially if you know what fleet an attacker is going to use to counter them. This will also prompt people to have a number of different fleets to counter the various designs.

A feature that would allow you to 'clear all' would be useful, like clipboard in word. certain defensive wall configurations (i.e 2 thick around a turret dimensions) can be 'pasted' onto your design as a block further saving time.
  • Dave Neale
    Dave Neale
    Greenhorn
    Joined Jan 2012 Posts: 4
    If this feature is going to take time in the planning and execution, maybe a way of storing buildings while you rearrange you base would be a temp fix ?
  • Ollie99
    Ollie99
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Jan 2012 Posts: 1,175
    hmm

no negative feedback

Shhhhhh.... First rule of Future Features & Feedback, we don't talk about other Future Features & Feedback.
    "Whoever said laughter is the best medicine never had gonorrhea."

Mel Brooks

Sectors: Too many to remember off the top of my head.

lvl: 33, I think.
  • xanthreader
    xanthreader
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jul 2011 Posts: 173
    just curious....when is Kixeye gonna listen to the players, and actually put something in Future Features and Feedback that we actually want?
  • meykeru-sensei
    meykeru-sensei
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Feb 2012 Posts: 161
    just curious....when is Kixeye gonna listen to the players, and actually put something in Future Features and Feedback that we actually want?

i think a better question to ask is 'why add a Future Features and Feedback Section at all if u dont care about the feedback given to you,and add whatever you want regardless of public response anyway?'

Kixeye doesnt want feedback on their ideas,they want acknowledgement.
    They want people to stroke their ego and like whatever they put up.
    Because any and all negative feedback is either disregarded or pushed aside as immature responses.

-Tactical Lab Topic was overall against the feature,yet it was added anyway,the topic closed as if they only read the ones that DID agree with the idea.

-Level Rule Topic was full of negative responses,most of wich VERY detailed and worked out,very few 'do not like' rantings without any base.
    Yet the comments were treated as immature and the topic closed.

I dont think its all that hard to notice that Kixeye views the world like this:

Space-Mask-Nose.jpg
    Kixeye doesn't want to give coiners a too big advantage.
    :lol: i cant stop laughing

-Coming Soon-
  • majornate_BR
    majornate_BR
    Potential Threat
    Joined Jul 2012 Posts: 28
    i like the idea :)
    [COLOR="#00FF00"]majornate[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="#DAA520"]lvl:48[/COLOR]
    got me LC Frigate jugg hha destroyer and whats in every fleet i own CORVETTE!!!--------> attack my base and ill find you and give ya a rimjob {pun inteded}
  • telemarks
    telemarks
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Dec 2011 Posts: 637
    Aside from the issues already addressed above (building/tile placement & walls), what do you find is currently the most cumbersome aspect of base design?
    Its the fact to move a piece of land you have too:
    1/ Move whatever is on it off
    2/ Replace the land with water
    3/ Add the land back somewhere else
    4/ Move whatever back onto the new land.
    So the new solution would fix this .. but another way would be to allow dragging and dropping of land pieces, either individually, or as a selected block, with thier buildings intact
    Realistically, how many different, saved base layouts would you actually use?
    I would keep as many layputs as you allow. But realistically 5 would be OK .. 10 would be GREAT.
    The default setting for the Base Planner is to always center your base (like centering your text in a Word document). Would you have any need for the Base Planner to allow you to left or right (north/south) justify your base?
    Most bases are "edge to edge" already, so I don't think this is an option.
    A nicer feature would be the ability to rotate a base 180 degees, or mirror flip it.
    If you were to request one additional feature for the Base Planner, what would it be?
    Sorry I've got three requests ...

How about you can change base design every week for free ... OR for RES (not coins) you can change it when you like. So for say 10million res you could change your design in between attacks.

Bases shpuld be able to be redesigned while repairing, the same as they are currently. (Shift click repairing buildings in window mode)

The base design should incude the defense fleet locations, and correctly retain Ship1, in Ship1 place, no matter which base fleet is currently selected on guard. (unlike currently where the ships move randomly between locations when changing base guard fleet)
    ==================
    BP Home Sector = 77 
    BP Sectors Visited - 240, 77, 296, 407, 104, 78, 52, 11, 197, 241, 88, 94, 491, 456, 182, 497, 171, 313, 100, 379

Retired from active BP playing at level 82
  • Tiny Teets
    Tiny Teets
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined May 2012 Posts: 623
    The reason everyone [who knows about it] like and use Base Doctor so much is because it lets you place land and stuctures anywhere you want without the need to create islands for the structures. If you make any errors during your planning it has a Validate Design button to show whats wrong.

The hassel with the walls cound be fix with a simple crtl/click feature to select more than one wall piece at a time. While time consuming, I dont belive thats the biggest issue with base design.

The most important issue for me during base design is having to place you structures, walls included, on land while rearanging my land tiles. Fix that and I won't have to move 254 wall pieces twice. Once to the holding/stageing island and then once more to where I want them.
    ROBNTHROB wrote: »
    First off I was talking about what I said..
  • gissur
    gissur
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Dec 2011 Posts: 139
    I think making thing easy to change your base is a good thing but picture this. You have maybe 2-3 different base designs. You get scouted and then you just changed the design before the can attack you.

Should have something to prevent players from doing that. Have the base take affect after so may hours or if players want to change the base they can store the layout but will have to change it manually.
  • Fire_DS
    Fire_DS
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Dec 2011 Posts: 933
    I agree with Gissur, this could be abused as a defensive tactic, not as intended. Maybe if a player does get attacked....and they use the redesign feature, their hit count resets, allowing a player to attack 5 more times without bubbling them, also there should be a cool down time, very short, like 4 hours in between being able to 1-click redesign.
  • Vulture
    Vulture
    Potential Threat
    Joined Dec 2011 Posts: 63
    I don't want to put a damper on things but my real concern here is the glitches that this change will undoubtedly introduce and the lugnuts that will exploit the flaws such as those who are currently placing their docks on top of their outposts to gain an unfair tactical advantage.

I think if you had a store building feature so that you didn't have to place an existing building while moving land tiles would suffice. You would have an option to place an existing building(s) in a storage que, while you moved land tiles and after you have finished moving the land tiles you could place the building(s) in their new location.

A feature of being able to "shift" the entire base layout up/down/left/right would also ease base redesign.
This discussion has been closed.