The Base Planner

• exracer327
    exracer327
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Nov 2011 Posts: 595
    To help our developers plan for this, can you provide details on one of these cases?

I might want to justify the base so the entrance is as close to the edge of my base as possible. That way, it is more difficult for an attacker to get their ships aligned causing them to take more attacking my base.
    So, what's fun about this thread is the admission of hacking on an alternate account, but unfortunately you neglected to realize that this forum account has the same registered email address as your primary Facebook & Battle Pirates account.

Whoops.
  • r80354
    r80354
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Feb 2012 Posts: 116

• Aside from the issues already addressed above (building/tile placement & walls), what do you find is currently the most cumbersome aspect of base design?
    • Realistically, how many different, saved base layouts would you actually use?
    • The default setting for the Base Planner is to always center your base (like centering your text in a Word document). Would you have any need for the Base Planner to allow you to left or right (north/south) justify your base?
    • If you were to request one additional feature for the Base Planner, what would it be?

1: The biggest problem i personally have with building a base is in the transition from a base builder online to the one in the game. With the online base builders you can easily count squares and set your land in the right place while ingame you have to take a fairly educated guess at where your start point should be then hope you are right, else you must start over. The illegal placement is sorta part of this and requires extra time to move more land around to get a valid placement before you can continue. Having a full out grid layover in the base planner (and the final validation) will very much alleviate my personal issues with current base design.

2: I believe i would use/want 5 slots for saved layouts. My thoughts would be something like 3 full time layouts that i play with and tweak depending on the situation and mood, while the other 2 would be used for experimentation and such.

3: Yes! I like to play with the online base builder, and a few of the valid designs i have made have been justified to one corner or the other. There are obviously tactical advantages to this, and im sure others would experiment more with outside the box designs if this were included.

4: The ability to "copy" a land layout/design from someone in your friends list. I dont know how many other people play with real life friends, but i do, and instead of having to spend an hour taking pictures or popping back and forth between an online base designer trying to get the design right so i can use it, or vice versa. Being able to copy the land portion only will let me use the design my friend has recommended or my group is running or just one from a friend that i think will work better than my own, and it will allow me to set my walls and buildings as i choose. It should also be noted that not everyone has the same number of buildings (RGs mostly) warehouses, or walls, so copying the land only would seem like the best way to have that design without the hassle of copying a design with 4 WH's while you have 5.
  • exracer327
    exracer327
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Nov 2011 Posts: 595
    I know this feature has been suggested in the wish section, but a way to "store" buildings, etc. would be great! Just in case you're not doing a whole base redesign and just tweaking a few things. Make it so it won't let you out of edit mode until you place all buildings. If you get attacked while in edit mode, your base defaults to your last usable design.
    So, what's fun about this thread is the admission of hacking on an alternate account, but unfortunately you neglected to realize that this forum account has the same registered email address as your primary Facebook & Battle Pirates account.

Whoops.
  • gissur
    gissur
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Dec 2011 Posts: 139
    I think this is a great idea. 5 - 10 base layouts stored in memory would be great. The plan with the walls is perfect.
  • Sera
    Sera
    Potential Threat
    Joined Jun 2012 Posts: 77
    Aside from the issues already addressed above (building/tile placement & walls), what do you find is currently the most cumbersome aspect of base design?

1. Placing/removing land, I'd like to be able to click and drag the mouse to "paint" land or water, probably similar to your wall code.
    2. Shuffling buildings, I'd like to see 1 click buttons to remove all land/remove all buildings(to some kind of inventory)
    3. Holding down shift the whole time.

Realistically, how many different, saved base layouts would you actually use?

A dozen easy, 50 max probably. But I'm a power user on base design already. I have dozens of designs in base doctor and have in the past completely reworked my base daily inspite of the existing tools.
    A realistic option could be to allow a limited number of designs(6-12) saved to your servers, and an unlimited amount saved to local storage.

The default setting for the Base Planner is to always center your base (like centering your text in a Word document). Would you have any need for the Base Planner to allow you to left or right (north/south) justify your base?

Given the way the fit of a base varies depending on how it's rotated, I can't see a use for any of the options. I always build from a corner anyways.

If you were to request one additional feature for the Base Planner, what would it be?

Being allowed more than 14 built turrets in inventory but only 14 in the design could significantly improve experimenting with different builds. In order to prevent abuse you'd need to disallow storing damaged turrets in inventory.
  • skillz
    skillz
    Greenhorn
    Joined Jul 2012 Posts: 10
    <3
    best idea yet <3
  • WarmApplePie
    WarmApplePie
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined May 2012 Posts: 978
    Another fantastic idea. Would be sooo helpful, moving walls take way too long
     Welcome to Kixeye. How may we glitch you?

WarmApplePie-BPELI
  • kris1019
    kris1019
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Sep 2011 Posts: 3,474
    Me too, wish I had more of them. I think he just means making moving them around easier.

*fingers crossed*
    The R. wrote: »
    I hope not. I love my wall corners!
  • ttoozz
    ttoozz
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jul 2011 Posts: 259
    Sprouts wrote: »
    I was envisioning it as a button somewhere and not a building. I sure hope it's not intended to be a building.
    The button is even a better idea. :D

Only reason why I mentioned a single tile is because in backyard monsters there is a yard planner building.

• absolutely_pissed
    absolutely_pissed
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined May 2011 Posts: 529
    This will be one of the best ideas yet. I gotta hand it to you guys, after the magic shop got put in place i thought there was no hope.

anyway, i would think that 3 or 4 saved designs would be cool. this would keep players from changing their base depending on the direction of approach from a prospective attacker inbound. This is really the only problem i see with this. maybe correct it by adding in a lag time or a refit time for the base changes to take effect. be realistic, maybe 5 minutes, at the MOST please.
    I have no idea if i would justify my base to the left, right, top or bottom. it would be a cool feature though, if you had room to do so you could select the entire layout of the base and just move it about the screen wherever you want it.
    as for any suggestions i have. How about this. If we could have an adjustable range ring that would attach to out tool tip where we could judge with accuracy how far our building would be from danger. This would allow us to check our work against sniping.
    Aside from this, well done guys, today you make me proud. Now when do i get to play with it. im due an overhaul.
    "I assume they cut off all outside contact and put bars on the windows, feed the devs white bread and salt water all weekend till they snap and crap out a new lab...."

• Fapaggedon
    Fapaggedon
    Potential Threat
    Joined Apr 2012 Posts: 29
    the ability to turn your building and dock different direction.
  • Byron Rees
    Byron Rees
    Greenhorn
    Joined Jan 2012 Posts: 4
    i think it'll be great for savin' time on the bases.. how about a little more land and room to help with the bases.... or how about some underwater mines for the bases ...
  • Capn Rocker
    Capn Rocker
    Greenhorn
    Joined Dec 2011 Posts: 11
    positive change... nice !!!

~ Aside from the issues already addressed above (building/tile placement & walls), what do you find is currently the most cumbersome aspect of base design?
    reply - All of it .. it is ever changing... lol

~ Realistically, how many different, saved base layouts would you actually use?
    reply - I think a saved / work in progress, is essential. and room for a few Chosen creations would be plenty... Seeing how the game can change, it would be nice to fall back to a choice design that worked well previously.
    I suggest taking a pic would be nice, of each OP level, when meeting a lower level player that needs advice,,, always done this myself,,,

~ The default setting for the Base Planner is to always center your base (like centering your text in a Word document). Would you have any need for the Base Planner to allow you to left or right (north/south) justify your base?
    reply - Actually wouldn't think it would be needed... since the creation Mode could be simple, as described in my next answer... lol

~ If you were to request one additional feature for the Base Planner, what would it be?
    reply - below... it got a bit long,,, lol,, ( sorry)

1.) Have it copy current base items ( build stats. Res hopefully won't be an issue,, lol ... I suggest taking pics. And for those that would think to save a WH /w full res, when in reality they have little Res.. glitch would be taken advantage of,,, lol ) and Allow a storage for all and/or verify Stat to validate correct Stat for each, prior to actual replacing ( cmd replace, then Save New ) Walls, Turrets, Buildings, Labs, Land, and Water buildings and Tactical Lab... Part of this game is actually using some thought.. Sharing or pre-designed would make it so easy for all, and would simply use the best design for their OP lvl and ability,,, Keep the originality and earning, so that the reward/loss will be the drive to improve redesign. Would be boring if players had it easy, not earned, and player loss may result...

2.) Using Shortcut Keys to allow placement from available copied storage, one could hold the proper key (ex; L - Key = Land) , while Left clicking for land placement and even simply drag to create design... Using Right Click ( remove land for Water ...)

W - for Walls,,, using left or right click ( Select, Drag, Drop) depending on Wall of choice. ( Numbering walls available would be nice when choosing, And rotate of wall, but refer to available)

T - for Turrets, Left click, and Opens the Stored Turrets built in a new window, the player already has built ,,, Choose Left click, Drag, Drop... Right click back to Storage once Dropped.

B - for Buildings ... Opens the Stored buildings,,, ( note: I don't think amount of Res. stored in Res Producers should be accounted for. One should collect before: Apply Base Design)

- M-Key - could open "Menu Bar" from the Top, Side, or bottom. ( Or ... Using Mouse-over to edge as Windows Vista used )
    - Menu Icon ( Menu Bar) would include all Tabs for those that are not used to Shortcut Keys.
    Having the Menu Bar similar to the "Build" tab, top of the game, would keep it familiar for all. Although the Menu Bar would open at Top,Side, or Bottom, so most of the base would be available for placement/view. Instead of the layout on top of the base, as in game mode.

Also Removal of items already placed in Base Design Mode... (Place back in Storage) . Allow category removal of items.
    - allow selecting of Items ( Left Click ):

- Menu would be nice for:

Remove Selected or ALL (All = bury design where it will never be found ... lol )
    Remove Land ( land should not be able to be removed if item is placed on it, it is the structure. Unless you place a check for proper placement before saving )
    Remove Walls
    Remove Turrets
    Remove Labs
    Remove Warehouse's
    Remove Buildings
  • warkahn
    warkahn
    Potential Threat
    Joined Aug 2012 Posts: 87
    NOTE: Make sure you have read the rules for posting in this forum: http://forums.kixeye.com/showthread.php?t=185189 . Also be sure to read this post in it's entirety before you reply.

We want to give players a more streamlined method for designing bases.

We are currently working on early designs for the Base Planner. This interface will allow players to open up a planning grid on which land tiles and buildings can be arranged. When you are finished with your design on the grid, you can save your design, and execute the changes to your base with one click of the mouse.

One of areas of base design that can be the most time consuming is wall placement. There will be a feature, currently dubbed “autowalls”, that will allow users to easily reposition many wall segments at one time. This feature will automatically detect the correct wall segment that visually matches the direction the wall is facing. Once a wall is placed, you can manually change the visual type of an individual wall segment.

The automatic function of “autowalls” will be disabled on existing walls to preserve existing base designs. Newly constructed wall segments (including those placed in the Base Planner) will be automatically oriented by default. We will be removing the 3 different shapes of walls from the Build menu and replacing them with the single, more universal shape.

In addition, we’re making sure to give players control over when their base configuration is saved. Experiment with illegal setups along the way - the tool will validate your changes when ready, as opposed to every single step along the way. This should dramatically speed up the time required to rearrange bases, while also encouraging people to experiment with different base layouts.

As this is a feature being developed heavily on player feedback, we want to make sure that we are giving you as many utilities as possible. Please take the time to answer some of these questions:
    • Aside from the issues already addressed above (building/tile placement & walls), what do you find is currently the most cumbersome aspect of base design?
    • The default setting for the Base Planner is to always center your base (like centering your text in a Word document). Would you have any need for the Base Planner to allow you to left or right (north/south) justify your base?
    • If you were to request one additional feature for the Base Planner, what would it be?

i think the best thing you guys could do for us players is make the outline of the base and the tiles face the same direction so we can use more of the space we are given
  • midnightninja
    midnightninja
    Greenhorn
    Joined Jul 2012 Posts: 8
    what about a base idk wut it is about base base base base base base base base
    ninja hiyaa
  • Munchy
    Munchy
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Jan 2011 Posts: 800
    Great idea. I always wondered why BYM has had a yard designer for so long, but neither BP or WC had one. My only request is that you don't make the planner take up more than one land space.
    BYM:Your User ID is: 6555447
    BP:Your User ID is: 4629501
  • wesker
    wesker
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Sep 2011 Posts: 5,473
    1.walls are a pain in the **** to move and the labs take a wile too cause you got to find the right spot to put them so you can move the land around to make your base
    2. id use about 3 or 4 layouts
    3.yes id love to center my base
    4.1 thing id add is to make the planer colorful!!! like all the buildings in the planner colorful :D
    Decimate the Weak

Ships Won: who cares you will see them :D 
    BP-ID: 1824740....lvl 72

• Darrell Martin
    Darrell Martin
    Greenhorn
    Joined May 2012 Posts: 15
    Awesome Idea on the base planner swag! Best news I've heard from Kixeye, ever!
  • Paul Mounce
    Paul Mounce
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Nov 2011 Posts: 378
    Possibly already included but not having to play tetris with the buildings while designing the base would be great.
                                                                                                lazydog
                                                                                        Home Sector 208 
    Frigate, Noisy Cricket, Destroyer, Light Cruiser, Barracuda, Hammerhead A, Strike Cruiser, Draqonian Battleship, Hurricane, and a big floating Toilet
  • thermopyle
    thermopyle
    Potential Threat
    Joined May 2012 Posts: 51
    id just like to say this is the best kixeye idea ever. i honestly didnt even read this at first because i finally found a third party base planner that i really like. but the fact that you can pre plan, then click and execute, negating the need for a bubble, is wonderful. ive gotten much better at redesigning my base quickly, but i think the fastest i ever did it was over a few hours. kind of a large window to get hit. sometimes its even been overnight to the next day.

im all onboard with this one, however you do it. i would only suggest you need to be able to save at least 2 bases, 3 would be even better so you can improve on your current one (as already stated). more than that i think makes life a lil too comfy. you shoudlnt be able to hit a guy knwoing his base fleet then click to the appropriate base design to thwart his fleet.
  • thermopyle
    thermopyle
    Potential Threat
    Joined May 2012 Posts: 51
    id also like to say i think kixeye has done an amazing job balancing land tile layout etc. anyone who wants more land tiles isnt an active base hitter. it IS difficult to come up with a good original design. but that being said if you know what your doing and have some patience you can make life very difficult for opposing attackers even with no defending fleet. if i was given an extra 2-3 tiles i could probably make a base that would be impenetrable. more land tiles, more fleet weight, would kill all originality in the game.
  • Eric Preston
    Eric Preston
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 277
    THANK YOU!

• Not being able to move buildings that are repairing. Very frustrating to have learned a weakness of your base and have to wait a day to fix it.
      • Probably 5 - Anti Blitz - Anti Mortar - Anti Missile - Anti Rocket - Anti Prep
      • Yes, if you want to make the entrance as close to the spawn point as possible so the enemy will be in turret range if they don't enter at a further point, adding time to travel to entrance if they do.
      • Different colors for different types of turret ranges
    Suave Beard
    Sector 187
    Level 33
    - - - RETIRED - - -
  • Michael7217
    Michael7217
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Dec 2011 Posts: 140
    Aside from the issues already addressed above (building/tile placement & walls), what do you find is currently the most cumbersome aspect of base design?
    you can't move buildings that are upgrading and repairing

Realistically, how many different, saved base layouts would you actually use?
    3 templates but you can add more by coining

The default setting for the Base Planner is to always center your base (like centering your text in a Word document). Would you have any need for the Base Planner to allow you to left or right (north/south) justify your base?
    not really

If you were to request one additional feature for the Base Planner, what would it be?
    we should have a ''base tester'' option, no it's not like the monster baiter from BYM cause you don't send out clone ships, you merely place a hologram ship in the water to check if your buildings are within range of a certain ship. it's like this... you select a hologram ship from the base planner then you can put that hologram ship into the water to test it's range. the ship's weapon and hull can be customized of course, or you can just design a small block that has an adjustable range
    User ID: 13282
  • SteveYoung
    SteveYoung
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Jan 2012 Posts: 308
    a few more tiles would be nice aswell!
  • CRIMSON_TIDE
    CRIMSON_TIDE
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Feb 2012 Posts: 237
    This is an AWESOME idea !
    As far as the number of bases to save I'd say no more than three. I mean, once I find a good design I usually just tweak that one to fit my needs.
    The walls :You guys are on the right track. Those are ALWAYS a pain in the **** to have to move each individual wall.
    The most cumbersome aspect would be narrow channel issue when placing tiles. Would be easier to have it stick in place ( in red ) while you adjust your land tiles until its correct instead of having to remove multiple sections just to get one piece of land in a certain place.
    The centering option : That can be good and bad. Some players intentionally off set there bases as part of the design. ( make optional )
    If I were to ask for one additional thing it would be to give guard fleet ships a smaller footprint within the base. I DON'T mean be able to stack them but at least be able to put them closer together ( Almost side by side if desired )
    CRIMSON_TIDE  
    BP ID: 1742174 Level 72
    Past Sectors: 46, 56, 131, 206, 257, 368, 381, 391*, 373,  392, 397, 432, 463, 490
    Ships won: More than I can ever build..... 
    ROLL_TIDE !!!

• absolutely_pissed
    absolutely_pissed
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined May 2011 Posts: 529
    It would also be bad **** to be able to attack or "war game" our own base, using our own, existing fleets of course. No body has the Balls to hit me when im online, so id like to do it to myself.
    "I assume they cut off all outside contact and put bars on the windows, feed the devs white bread and salt water all weekend till they snap and crap out a new lab...."

• TheRealCore
    TheRealCore
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Aug 2011 Posts: 5,474
    Yay, the good things comes out when i no longer have the time to play. -.-

*Slowly walks away*
    Atta-Comb 
  • laxrules25
    laxrules25
    Greenhorn
    Joined Apr 2012 Posts: 11
    I think someone said this but couldnt really understand it...but the ability to create a fleet to test your base design in the base planner would be unbelievably useful althought doubtfull you will or can make this happen. THanks for your time :)
  • smarcusm
    smarcusm
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Jul 2011 Posts: 1,013
    sorry i didnt read ll this,ill just put my 2 cents in,if you set it up like backyard monsters,which i tried that game,i am all for iti loved how i could jusy move things around,i would sit for hours jst tweeking,now in that game,you had to build a building,a yard planner i think i was actually called,if you do that,please include the extra land tiles to compensate please

but all in all,i am ALLLLL for this idea

one thing i would like to see is maybe a rough draft on weapons range to assist,so like on the side,missiles with sfb have max range of this
    for those of us who are not to good at math,just a aid in placing tiles from snipers
    ARES
    Level 58 
    Winner of the HH-A,HH-B,Cuda,Spectre,Battle Cruiser,Battleship,Strike Cruiser,Dread X,Super Fortress,Dict,MC,MCX,Mercury 

Sect-to many to know or count 
    Alliances,Bramm
     Dam you kixeye for being so greedy with a awesome game that i cant seem to leave
  • mauisurfrat
    mauisurfrat
    Potential Threat
    Joined Nov 2011 Posts: 74
    Aloha thanks for all the good work. I really like the proposed changes in this article. It be great to save like 10 base designs and i think it would be cool to be able to rotate or flip your base as well.. And as usual I'd like to see a Dry-dock where you can refit as well as repair boats, that would be great.. oh and the attack button kind of made it great to work together. Seems to me that most of us had more fun when we could help each other.
This discussion has been closed.