The Base Planner

• HighSiding
    HighSiding
    Potential Threat
    Joined Dec 2011 Posts: 57
    I would ask for a feature where you have a range circle centred on your mouse so you can check for SFB3 safe ranges.

A big concern I have with this is you could scout a base and come attack it 5 minutes later and its a different setup? lol. THAT could cause problems.

There might need to be some sort of cooldown or changeover time. Perhaps you can only do it under a bubble that was caused by more than 50% damage? SOMETHING

as for checking SFB3 range check u can use 1 of your patrol ships...adjust the patrol range to 95 and then move ship
    u cannot change base layout if there's a building repairing(lexcept that **** LP witch days a life time to repair:mad:)
    that would solve the problem....go in prep and u r good to go 4 the base;)
  • H4YDEN
    H4YDEN
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 1,219
    This sounds great, can't think of anything you've missed
    H4YDEN
    Sectors Visited 11, 14, 61, 95, 96, 102, 103, 105, 112, 125, 128 138, 139, 144, 151, 181, 190, 191, 192, 222, 223, 232, 240, 307, 310, 314, 367, 379, 381, 394, 437, 445, 467, 476
    Started playing 21st October 2011
    Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/H4YDEN0503
    You don't need drac hulls to be good at this game, you need a brain 
  • vilehand
    vilehand
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Mar 2012 Posts: 402
    first of all- great idea!
    how many designs? I THINK 4 would be enough for most players.
    what would I like to see?
    -drag all base option
    -center base (preferably something that you can check or uncheck)
    -cooldown time - make sure players can't switch designs while someone is attacking (I can't prep a base, then go in with base fleet to find I'm on the wrong side) maybe 20 mins?

however, I have a question. what if 1 design will work better with a different set of turrets? how will this be addressed, if at all?
    don't know where to find that pesky print you were looking for? try this
    BP name- vilehand alliance- PWAU
    sectors visited -336 (born), 351, 19, 202, 4, 135, 363, 235, 232, 283, 421, 383, 134, 207, 410, 498
    owner of too much stuff to care about or to mention here
    coins bought- 0.
  • Zac Crigger
    Zac Crigger
    Greenhorn
    Joined Mar 2012 Posts: 12
    Cool i like it..... This Could Help lower lvl players out an lot Gj Kixeye
  • Terroristwinter
    Terroristwinter
    Greenhorn
    Joined Mar 2012 Posts: 9
    Really like this idea as with any new buildings ect being released you would be able to change your base around to suit also one of the worst parts of the game for me is finding my base layout doesn't work and then trying to shift everything around just to move 1 or 2 land tiles
  • ark
    ark
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 1,056
    HighSiding wrote: »
    as for checking SFB3 range check u can use 1 of your patrol ships...adjust the patrol range to 95 and then move ship
    u cannot change base layout if there's a building repairing(lexcept that **** LP witch days a life time to repair:mad:)
    that would solve the problem....go in prep and u r good to go 4 the base;)

u can move buildings repairing and upgrading press shift and click the building ;) its np
    Warrior_Angel...level 30...sector 491...my base location:294174,72
    BI 5: winner of strike cruiser...BI 6: winner of HH-A

http://support.kixeye.com/mail/
    The only thing this changes for you, if you are a high level player, is hitting bases so low that you have no business hitting them. What's the phrase... try picking on someone your own size?
  • yarrpy
    yarrpy
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Dec 2011 Posts: 375
    about time...!!!1

There are a few good things from BYM that i would like to see in this game... This is one of them!
    If you are suspicious of whether another player is a hacker or not, please send in a ticket. If they turn out to be a hacker, we crush them. If they aren't, then no harm and no foul, everything just continues on.
  • Sprouts
    Sprouts
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Nov 2010 Posts: 3,716
    One thought I haven't seen anyone else mention yet: the base planner should open with a choice of either your current design or a completely blank slate.

Aside from dragging the entire design in a particular direction, also be able to draw a box around several items and drag just those.

Also, am I the only one who has a dock that is in a square footprint? Or did nobody else notice that it got changed a while ago? I would like for the shipyard to also be in a square footprint.

Speaking of the shipyard: after you get this base planner going, how about a ship planner? You should contract that guy who makes Ultimate Shipyard...
    (\(\
    (o.o)
    (")(")*
  • Seasick-Nick
    Seasick-Nick
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Feb 2012 Posts: 379
    Zaharkan wrote: »
    My only issue is that I wouldn't want to be hitting a base with an online defender and him have 4 or 5 versions of his base, prep it and him have the ability to hit a single button and then be facing a completely different base with the entrance oriented in a different direction.

Absolutely agree - there should be a time limit on implementing saved changes on a base layout, such as only allowing reverting to a saved design after 10 minutes of a base hit to prevent this feature becoming a tactical tool.
    Repeat after me - T U R R E T S. Now stop calling them TURRENTS you idiot.
  • Fractal
    Fractal
    Master Tactician
    Joined Mar 2012 Posts: 2,413
    Aside from the issues already addressed above (building/tile placement & walls), what do you find is currently the most cumbersome aspect of base design? Setting up the whole base, then finding out I should have moved it over 1 tile width. Maybe the ability in the planner to drag the whole thing over would allieviate?
    Realistically, how many different, saved base layouts would you actually use? 3 would be super
    If you were to request one additional feature for the Base Planner, what would it be? The ability to move land tiles with building already on it.
    Playing since Feb 2012.  Originally sector 304
  • Doomsdayrebel
    Doomsdayrebel
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined Dec 2011 Posts: 1,571
    This is really cool, I hope this happens. I'm to lazy to change me base due to the walls and such. This would help.

Also on another note the other features that just got closed. Gets a thumbs up from me. The bracket system would be awesome! I like the ideas presented in the level up thread.... for what it is worth.
    Death Metal + Pirates = Fix Your Base \m/ \m/
    Event Hulls Won: = Who Cares

Sectors: They still make those???
  • Countryrazorback
    Countryrazorback
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Dec 2011 Posts: 188
    I like the suggestions to be able to change the direction of the dock orientation, but I'd carry it one step further and add shipyard also. To be able to change the orientation of both those items would open up a lot more possibilities in where you could place them.
  • antman
    antman
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Feb 2012 Posts: 1,293
    Woohoo nice thoughts guys I love the idea.

As for the centre idea. I like that. Should be able to pick up entire design and move it a swayed in any direction.

Now stop discussing and crack the whip that gets this done lol.
  • ttoozz
    ttoozz
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jul 2011 Posts: 259
    It is an excellent idea. But please please please make the base designer fit in a single tile.

• Sprouts
    Sprouts
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Nov 2010 Posts: 3,716
    ttoozz wrote: »
    It is an excellent idea. But please please please make the base designer fit in a single tile.

I was envisioning it as a button somewhere and not a building. I sure hope it's not intended to be a building.
    (\(\
    (o.o)
    (")(")*
  • Joey Ingles
    Joey Ingles
    Potential Threat
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 99
    I like the idea....

Only change I would make...Do we really need walls that can only run in one direction? Why not just make them look the same from any direction?
  • Athenaswrath
    Athenaswrath
    Greenhorn
    Joined Jun 2012 Posts: 4
    The hardest part for me is to to get everything designed and not have enough land to close the design
  • Whiskey_Baconator
    Whiskey_Baconator
    Potential Threat
    Joined Jun 2012 Posts: 70
    trying to sat withing the border and create more turns without creating narrow channels is the most time consuming thing for me when redesigning my base. I have come to like 3 different designs depending on what the other players in my current sector are using as base hitting fleet. Being able to justify my base any direction would also be nice to have as an option. I would like the ablity to see the range of enemy ships as i was laying out my base to make turret choices and ensure my dock could not be simply sniped.
    DFWDP
  • kris1019
    kris1019
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Sep 2011 Posts: 3,474
    This idea I like. Walls and land tile placement are definitely the most cumbersome parts of base design.

As someone stated earlier the ability to see the ranges of our turret weapons and possibly any hypothetical changes to turrets so we can see how it fits in.

Also, maybe a option to "rotate" the design, say of we design it and place the entrance south, but decide it fits better on the left side we could just click a rotate button.

An option to rotate buildings if possible could also be helpful.
  • RustySmurf
    RustySmurf
    Potential Threat
    Joined Apr 2012 Posts: 97
    Is the base planner going to be a building similar to that of Backyard Monsters? Or an optional window tab at the top?

Will it have a single button to click to change between saved layouts? I know i would use 3-4 different setups.

And will the base have to be 100% repaired, or a 30 min post attack timer to change, to prevent someone that is online from just changing their base between prep and full attacks?
    SneakyKlepto_DS
    Level 58
    DarkStorm PvP
    Winner of whatever I felt like winning at the time!
  • A_Different_Name
    A_Different_Name
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jul 2011 Posts: 149
    I can think of two things that will really help:

1.) Eliminate the whole "your land is too far from your outpost" restriction. If I want a base that's a straight line with my outpost on one end, I should be able to. I really hate doing a design, realize halfway through that I don't have room and have to redo it.

2.) The ability to place an enemy ship w/ weapons to determine sniping range, so I can see what buildings are safe from which weapons.
  • Lalli Leikur
    Lalli Leikur
    Potential Threat
    Joined Sep 2011 Posts: 25
    Finally a good feature is being planned for this game.... i like this very much

the ability to design your base without leaving yourself open to attack while in middle of rearranging defences is just awesome and i welcome it.

for the constructive feedback:
    * i think no more than 3 saves should be kept

* i think it should have restrictions to how often you could do the changes like one every 2 days so it wont be misused to change the base every time some one is coming to attack you

* i would add to this feature a box of some sort to keep your buildings in if you dont want some building in that layout like using 4 Warehouses but of course that building would not function while i that box...
  • kris1019
    kris1019
    Unicorn Overlord
    Yes the over sized land requirements for the "useless" building is bad. The footprint should be based on the buildings importance to the base.
    Aside from the issues already addressed above (building/tile placement & walls), what do you find is currently the most cumbersome aspect of base design?
    ANSWER: The over sized footprint of some buildings.
    Realistically, how many different, saved base layouts would you actually use? ANSWER: 3-5 at most
    The default setting for the Base Planner is to always center your base (like centering your text in a Word document). Would you have any need for the Base Planner to allow you to left or right (north/south) justify your base? ANSWER: Absolutely!
    If you were to request one additional feature for the Base Planner, what would it be? ANSWER: A calculator of sorts that allows a player to see the strength of the base setup. which in itself is based off of current fleets available.

I also agree with the majority on glitches. Let's get those issues adressed first before adding something else to the mix.
  • dragyn
    dragyn
    Potential Threat
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 99
    I love this idea.

Here is a bit of feedback:

I would likely use between 4-6 base layouts, and would love the option to switch between them from time to time. However, there should be a limit put on this to keep players from swapping layouts between hits to mess up attackers. Perhaps a base with a damaged building would not be allowed to swap out until all buildings were repaired.

I would love a feature where we could test the base on our own. Sort of a drill attack, where we can create a basic fleet, or pull one from something like the ultimate shipyard and test the base for weaknesses. This would likely be very hard to program, but would be epic.
  • kris1019
    kris1019
    Unicorn Overlord
    How about a base with any damage cant be redesigned until repaired? Wont stop the heavy coiners who instant repair unless you are quick. But thats also true now.
    I would ask for a feature where you have a range circle centred on your mouse so you can check for SFB3 safe ranges.

A big concern I have with this is you could scout a base and come attack it 5 minutes later and its a different setup? lol. THAT could cause problems.

There might need to be some sort of cooldown or changeover time. Perhaps you can only do it under a bubble that was caused by more than 50% damage? SOMETHING
  • jeremiah78
    jeremiah78
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Jun 2011 Posts: 1,426
    let players rotate their dock :)
  • GreenBandit
    GreenBandit
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Feb 2012 Posts: 126
    Sweet, this should allow players to change base designs more ofton. I like the idea. Anything to make base build easier and less time consuming is excellent.

Oh, but now I will only get to hit lvl 33-35. So guess its a wash on the variety part..;)
  • Ascension
    Ascension
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Mar 2012 Posts: 26,257
    I love this idea and would use it often. As it is (like most people) the idea of moving all those god forsaken wall segments changes my mind every time.

Forum banned by a hypocrite at Kixeye.

• kingamo
    kingamo
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jan 2012 Posts: 112
    This sounds great! I was planning a base overhaul in a few weeks(have to finish gaurds) I was not looking foward to this because of the walls, I planned on just scrapping them to save time!
    Even then having to click on each wall 3times just to get to the scrap button takes time!

I'm looking forward to any change that will help me with this, just hope this update is running by the time my fleet is done.
    King
    LVL 58
    Native 97
    Started: Aug 2011
    Current location: Lost at sea!
  • kris1019
    kris1019
    Unicorn Overlord
    I think he is refering to the corner piece and the two directional pieces.
    The R. wrote: »
    The idea for a base planner to facilitate moving base elements is good. However, I don't like the idea of saving multiple designs. Scouting enemy layouts is a key strategic element of this game and enabling players to switch between layouts within seconds would make base hitting nearly impossible - I launch a blitz fleet, say, and before it arrives the player switches to a layout for which I require a mort fleet! So please, no saving multiple designs, this would severely unbalance the game.

And what do you mean by "removing the 3 different wall shapes"? Please don't tell me another graphic "update"... We all remember what the "walls" looked like last time around.
This discussion has been closed.