Todd Schell
    Greenhorn
    Joined May 2012 Posts: 12
    is there a time frame to the release of this base planner
  • Mark Wilson
    Mark Wilson
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Apr 2012 Posts: 114
    Swag r u gonna tell us when this might happen or r u just gonna leave us in the blue
    BATTLE PIRATES
    SECTORS 132,131,208,437,175,3
    NAME: KILLER_KLOWN-IB LVL:43
    RAID PRIZES: NOT TELLIN xD

u wanna whine about me hittin u ill hit u again
  • chris grave
    chris grave
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Feb 2012 Posts: 176
    NOTE: Make sure you have read the rules for posting in this forum: http://forums.kixeye.com/showthread.php?t=185189 . Also be sure to read this post in it's entirety before you reply.

We want to give players a more streamlined method for designing bases.

We are currently working on early designs for the Base Planner. This interface will allow players to open up a planning grid on which land tiles and buildings can be arranged. When you are finished with your design on the grid, you can save your design, and execute the changes to your base with one click of the mouse.

One of areas of base design that can be the most time consuming is wall placement. There will be a feature, currently dubbed “autowalls”, that will allow users to easily reposition many wall segments at one time. This feature will automatically detect the correct wall segment that visually matches the direction the wall is facing. Once a wall is placed, you can manually change the visual type of an individual wall segment.

The automatic function of “autowalls” will be disabled on existing walls to preserve existing base designs. Newly constructed wall segments (including those placed in the Base Planner) will be automatically oriented by default. We will be removing the 3 different shapes of walls from the Build menu and replacing them with the single, more universal shape.

In addition, we’re making sure to give players control over when their base configuration is saved. Experiment with illegal setups along the way - the tool will validate your changes when ready, as opposed to every single step along the way. This should dramatically speed up the time required to rearrange bases, while also encouraging people to experiment with different base layouts.

As this is a feature being developed heavily on player feedback, we want to make sure that we are giving you as many utilities as possible. Please take the time to answer some of these questions:
    • Aside from the issues already addressed above (building/tile placement & walls), what do you find is currently the most cumbersome aspect of base design?
    • Realistically, how many different, saved base layouts would you actually use?
    • The default setting for the Base Planner is to always center your base (like centering your text in a Word document). Would you have any need for the Base Planner to allow you to left or right (north/south) justify your base?
    • If you were to request one additional feature for the Base Planner, what would it be?

i think like war commander it should let us send in a few ships to test it out
     Name: Sweets, Pirate Life For Me
  • Ft_Mackinnac
    Ft_Mackinnac
    Potential Threat
    Joined Sep 2012 Posts: 27
    Not sure I understand the use of the Grid format ... My main issue with changing a base is that I always have to keep it on a land piece ... If we can arrange the buildings and guns on a grid without the land and then fill the land in ... that would be fantastic. 6 Saved Base layouts would be great. Seeing the range of you gun setup would also be great. All the other ideas are OK.
  • Matthew Finch
    Matthew Finch
    Greenhorn
    Joined Jul 2012 Posts: 6
    This is an excellent idea, but is there any feedback on the timeframe? I am almost lvl30 now and my base needs have drastically changed - I won't start redesigning if there is going to be another update soon?

The WORST part of base design in my opinion is just having the need for everything on the base while it's currently being designed - you can't take anything off the map, but need to keep finding space for everything and it's like a puzzle. Terrible.

Second worst thing is the "cannot have narrow channels" issue - the system seems to let it work sometimes with 2 squares, and not if you place 2 individual squares where you want, there does not seem to be any consistency in that.

Didn't you guys invent Backyard Monsters? The Yard Planner would be perfect for BP.

Timeframe please?
  • PC_DJ
    PC_DJ
    Potential Threat
    Joined Apr 2012 Posts: 34
    I like the idea of a base designer
    Current Sector 131, DrHook-ME is the name... LVL50 
    Other sectors visited 20, 131, 244, 316, 369(home), 465
  • Marauder666
    Marauder666
    Potential Threat
    Joined Mar 2012 Posts: 39
    Might just be an idea atm, in a testing phase..I wouldn't "rush" something like this as we've seen from previous "updates"....haha....It's a great idea tho, cant wait to actually use it without "glitches":p You have to admit from 2 yrs ago to now, kixeye has did some cool stuff to the game....This base planner would significantly cut-down on build time, and you could choose a different base every week or whatever..;)
    «MàräüÐér»
  • Patiszerg
    Patiszerg
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Jan 2012 Posts: 695
    Realistically, how many different, saved base layouts would you actually use?

2-3. Please put in a cool down though for switching base layouts. I'd say 24-48 hours. it would be annoying to scout a base and then right after you scout it the entire lay-out has changed.

For example... I scout a base and see the entrance to the SE... a few minutes later I go in with my base hitting fleet and suddenly a new lay-out has been executed and the entrance is to the NE... I retreat and go in again and the entrance is back to the SE... Of course this could only be done if the player is online at the time but as you can see this would completely block a slow moving base hitting fleet from getting in due to running out of time.
    Dee McLean wrote: »
    ...there is no difference, a base cannot get any flatter than flat ;)
    FKIT wrote: »
    Second, do you remember what you did before base planner? MOVED CHIT BY HAND ONE PAINFUL WALL AT A TIME!!
  • Bigboy9090
    Bigboy9090
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Mar 2012 Posts: 112
    plz remove this reply lol sorry....
    LVL: 50
    Sector:153
    Ships won: Battle cruiser and Strike Cruiser
    Username: Deadlyweed
  • Steven Bennett
    Steven Bennett
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jul 2011 Posts: 254

Good idea but what if you change you design get it tested then want to change back? Perhaps a 1 hour cooldown period wold be more reasonable
    Rogue_RDS (Rogue Death Squadron)
    CARNAGE is bliss , peace is HELL but WAR is everything
  • brownsfan019
    brownsfan019
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Sep 2012 Posts: 304
    Hoping this comes out soon b/c holding off redoing my base till then. Way too much time in it's current form to redesign.
  • Wayne Runyon
    Wayne Runyon
    Greenhorn
    Joined Feb 2012 Posts: 19
    NOTE: Make sure you have read the rules for posting in this forum: http://forums.kixeye.com/showthread.php?t=185189 . Also be sure to read this post in it's entirety before you reply.

We are currently working on early designs for the Base Planner. This interface will allow players to open up a planning grid on which land tiles and buildings can be arranged. When you are finished with your design on the grid, you can save your design, and execute the changes to your base with one click of the mouse.

One of areas of base design that can be the most time consuming is wall placement. There will be a feature, currently dubbed “autowalls”, that will allow users to easily reposition many wall segments at one time. This feature will automatically detect the correct wall segment that visually matches the direction the wall is facing. Once a wall is placed, you can manually change the visual type of an individual wall segment.

The automatic function of “autowalls” will be disabled on existing walls to preserve existing base designs. Newly constructed wall segments (including those placed in the Base Planner) will be automatically oriented by default. We will be removing the 3 different shapes of walls from the Build menu and replacing them with the single, more universal shape.

In addition, we’re making sure to give players control over when their base configuration is saved. Experiment with illegal setups along the way - the tool will validate your changes when ready, as opposed to every single step along the way. This should dramatically speed up the time required to rearrange bases, while also encouraging people to experiment with different base layouts.

As this is a feature being developed heavily on player feedback, we want to make sure that we are giving you as many utilities as possible. Please take the time to answer some of these questions:
    • Aside from the issues already addressed above (building/tile placement & walls), what do you find is currently the most cumbersome aspect of base design?
    • The default setting for the Base Planner is to always center your base (like centering your text in a Word document). Would you have any need for the Base Planner to allow you to left or right (north/south) justify your base?
    • If you were to request one additional feature for the Base Planner, what would it be?
    I say to make an auto storage for everything on the map.Wipe it clean and just start with the tiles.It would take the 2 to 3 hrs trying to designing bases and the headache of rearranging only to find out you are a tile off.It is a big headache moving piece by piece.This would eliminate long hrs at designs and make it easier to come up with good base designs from old and outdated designs.
  • Brent Skipper
    Brent Skipper
    Greenhorn
    Joined Aug 2012 Posts: 15
    This may have been asked but will you be able to rotate your base to look at it from all 4 angles? N,S,E,W? So you know what you may have missed? I have discovered in tearing down a base some pieces that werent in the proper place but only having 1 view really makes it difficult to determine. Nevermind placing the walls just next to each other and looking for the little white square...
  • SectionHCLI
    SectionHCLI
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Mar 2012 Posts: 151
    how many designs would i use? Try about 5 different ones, frequently swapping after a scout or flattening, that way they have to rethink the strategy each time, causing confusion in large scales
  • Thomas Higgs
    Thomas Higgs
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Jun 2010 Posts: 660
    Id say more than a 1 hour cooldown id say at least 7 days cool down forquick switching of base design
  • wichart
    wichart
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Aug 2012 Posts: 224
    kwelname wrote: »
    Any chance you can eliminate "Base center"

Let us place land tiles anywhere in the grid.

Lets say I want to build 4 islands.. 1 in each corner .. Why not? Sounds crazy but so are square bases...

Creative people just might have fun building mazes etc...

How about an option to start with a centered base or with no default land tile placement (so that you're starting from scratch)? I think that would make everyone happy.
    Started on 7/17/2012.
  • wichart
    wichart
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Aug 2012 Posts: 224
    I think this is a great idea, and I've read some wonderful suggestions. :-) Here are mine:

Expand the available base layout space (white border). If I want to build a base that is a long, straight line... let me.

Once I have a tile or group of tiles populated with a building, walls, turrets, etc., allow me to move the tile/group without moving the buildings, walls, and turrets separately. I suspect your base designer app will already eliminate the big problem of having to find unused land tiles to put buildings and such on while you're rearranging the base, but I don't even want to have to put the buildings and such in a holding area. I just want to move everything at once.

The ability to share base designs with a group of FB friends, Alliance members, or specified other players, would be cool. At bare minimum, allow us to specify other players who can look at our bases without attacking or becoming our FB friends.

I would like to be able to store up to 10 different base designs.

I think there should be a cool down time between base design changes. It wouldn't have to be long... maybe 30 minutes. It would just need to prevent someone changing their base design between the prep fleet and the destruction fleet. Along with that, I think the game should allow the base to use missiles on the invader, and launch a new fleet if the defending fleet is defeated and the dock hasn't been destroyed yet.
    Started on 7/17/2012.
  • Modest Elitist
    Modest Elitist
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined May 2012 Posts: 1,928
    *indent*Two buildings of the same size can have their places switched, to make building moving easier.Click on building, select "switch" select second building that you want switched.When you try to switch buildings of different sizes message comes up saying you can't.This feature would be useful because some people don't have the land squares to spare to be able to temporarily keep a building there, in order to move another.

*indent*The wall moving feature.
    Click on a wall, select "wall bunching" click options (1x1 not needed since you can already move one at a time)2x2, 3x3,4x4, and 5x5(measured in wall pieces).Clicking 5x5 will immediately move, and bunch up walls within a 5x5 radius and allow you to move, at most, 25 wall pieces simultaneously(area of one land square is 25 wall pieces).Bunched up walls will appear transparent(as if you were moving a building).I chose 5x5 at most, since that is the size of one land square.

*indent*Another feature that could be added is moving walls in rows.Might be something like: click on wall, select options move 3 right,move 4 right, move 5 right, move 6 right, move 7 right.Move 4 left, move 5 left,etc you get the idea.If you click on one wall piece and choose any of these options, for example: move 4 left, 4 wall pieces to the right of the wall you clicked on will be move-able.Placing walls(building) in bunches or in rows would also be very useful.This idea was inspired by the new wall update where instead of many wall types there is one universal wall, which you can orient left or right.

Yes I know KIXEYE is working on a base planner, but these two features would come in handy.I would like to see what a mod/KIXEYE employee thinks....
    Level:100
    Played Originally in Nov 2011.
  • Arcturus421
    Arcturus421
    Greenhorn
    Joined Jul 2012 Posts: 3
    Please! PLEASE! Just let me upgrade more then one ******* building at a time! This is crazy. I would like to spend down on my resources on improving my base but can't build or upgrade more then one unit at time for a long *** period of time. Why? WHY! Is a game with so much good potential killing it's game play with crawling development?
  • Captain Crapalot
    Captain Crapalot
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jan 2012 Posts: 293
    *indent*Two buildings of the same size can have their places switched, to make building moving easier.Click on building, select "switch" select second building that you want switched.When you try to switch buildings of different sizes message comes up saying you can't.This feature would be useful because some people don't have the land squares to spare to be able to temporarily keep a building there, in order to move another.

*indent*The wall moving feature.
    Click on a wall, select "wall bunching" click options (1x1 not needed since you can already move one at a time)2x2, 3x3,4x4, and 5x5(measured in wall pieces).Clicking 5x5 will immediately move, and bunch up walls within a 5x5 radius and allow you to move, at most, 25 wall pieces simultaneously(area of one land square is 25 wall pieces).Bunched up walls will appear transparent(as if you were moving a building).I chose 5x5 at most, since that is the size of one land square.

*indent*Another feature that could be added is moving walls in rows.Might be something like: click on wall, select options move 3 right,move 4 right, move 5 right, move 6 right, move 7 right.Move 4 left, move 5 left,etc you get the idea.If you click on one wall piece and choose any of these options, for example: move 4 left, 4 wall pieces to the right of the wall you clicked on will be move-able.Placing walls(building) in bunches or in rows would also be very useful.This idea was inspired by the new wall update where instead of many wall types there is one universal wall, which you can orient left or right.

Yes I know KIXEYE is working on a base planner, but these two features would come in handy.I would like to see what a mod/KIXEYE employee thinks....

Not a mod/KIXEYE employee but I think it is two very good suggestions.
  • MRcodPICKLES
    MRcodPICKLES
    Potential Threat
    Joined Apr 2012 Posts: 27
    yes please this would be so much better then we wouldn't need to sit there changing everything and we could be out there causing havoc
  • ShadowNightFury
    ShadowNightFury
    Greenhorn
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 16
    Can you make it possible to move multiple wall sections to make moving the walls easier?
  • Captain Crapalot
    Captain Crapalot
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jan 2012 Posts: 293
    Can you think about allotting a three point command for the defending ships. Command 1 after 1 min ship A moves there. Command 2 after 2 min ship A moves there and so forth. Command to expire when ship gets killed of course.

This could be very helpful when a person is nor online, but still want your fleet to behave in a more intelligent way.
  • 0x0
    0x0
    Potential Threat
    Joined Aug 2011 Posts: 50
    What about storing wall slots?

we all know what a pain in the proverbial it is to move wall pieces so why not have an option that will put the wall spots into "storage". This will help because players will not have to move the wall twice. one to get out of the way, and another to move it into it's spot.

you could have a time limit on how long it is in storage, or, allow it to be kept in storage permanently/long term. after all there is no advantage for a player to have less wall spots.

is this needed or will the offline base planner cover this option
  • Noah Wilson
    Noah Wilson
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jul 2011 Posts: 290
    r we going to wait for a year or so for this. also many people ASK ABOUT THE ALLINANCE FEATURE, when will we wait for that if u guys ever decide to put that in the game
  • 4saken
    4saken
    Greenhorn
    Joined Jul 2012 Posts: 11
    The one additional feature I would find usefull is to temp. store buildings and weapons while you place your base out.
  • Battlestar92
    Battlestar92
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Aug 2011 Posts: 269
    The borders are a pain be nice to be able to move whole base up or over or side to side to add land where we want.
  • Wayne Runyon
    Wayne Runyon
    Greenhorn
    Joined Feb 2012 Posts: 19
    Most of these ideas are great.I hope that Kixeye can use a lot of them that will help.Mainly the new players.Any help without having to move the walls so many times just to place land and then to find out you are incorrect with your tile placement and having to start again is just demoralizing.Just being able to store the walls and buildings only during damage protection(bubble) and then being able to just start with the land tiles would be great.That way if your off a tile or it's not set to the games spects.it would be easy just to move the land to make it right and not have to move walls and buildings over and over.this would take the long hrs out of base designing and allow players to play the game more.except for ie(long upgrades,researches,and ship building).
  • NM-Executioner
    NM-Executioner
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined Feb 2012 Posts: 1,877
    hope this comes soon
    reduced repair and builds times wont happen kixeye said 6 months ago they looking into it umm whats too look into there kixeye i dont see what your looking at?
  • Raptor1027
    Raptor1027
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Jan 2012 Posts: 720

1) I find it somewhat annoying that when i redesign my base, i have to move the labs to their own little island on the furthest point of my base just so i can start building the new design.
    2) there are probably 3 designs that i would use
    3) not that i can think of at the moment
    4) Here's an idea to speed up the process of rearranging the base: add a feature to the base planner that allows you to move your pre-existing buildings off of your base layout into a storage container. it doesn't delete the buildings, but instead it would be a sort of bag that holds your buildings off on the side while you start placing land tiles in the places you want them to be. this feature would eliminate the need to to constantly place buildings in different location to add/erase land tiles

This discussion has been closed.