The Base Planner

• bob_413
    bob_413
    Greenhorn
    Joined Aug 2012 Posts: 7
    I like the idea of base planer as this will help re design between hits.. will there be a time penalty for a rebuild?

Also can the base area be larger with more tiles available? as this IMO will help make better bases and have better base attacks for all lvls (maybe let OP's go to higher lvl to earn more space and tiles.

But great idea
  • Joshua Ruff
    Joshua Ruff
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Nov 2011 Posts: 685
    NOTE: Make sure you have read the rules for posting in this forum: http://forums.kixeye.com/showthread.php?t=185189 . Also be sure to read this post in it's entirety before you reply.

We want to give players a more streamlined method for designing bases.

We are currently working on early designs for the Base Planner. This interface will allow players to open up a planning grid on which land tiles and buildings can be arranged. When you are finished with your design on the grid, you can save your design, and execute the changes to your base with one click of the mouse.

One of areas of base design that can be the most time consuming is wall placement. There will be a feature, currently dubbed “autowalls”, that will allow users to easily reposition many wall segments at one time. This feature will automatically detect the correct wall segment that visually matches the direction the wall is facing. Once a wall is placed, you can manually change the visual type of an individual wall segment.

The automatic function of “autowalls” will be disabled on existing walls to preserve existing base designs. Newly constructed wall segments (including those placed in the Base Planner) will be automatically oriented by default. We will be removing the 3 different shapes of walls from the Build menu and replacing them with the single, more universal shape.

In addition, we’re making sure to give players control over when their base configuration is saved. Experiment with illegal setups along the way - the tool will validate your changes when ready, as opposed to every single step along the way. This should dramatically speed up the time required to rearrange bases, while also encouraging people to experiment with different base layouts.

As this is a feature being developed heavily on player feedback, we want to make sure that we are giving you as many utilities as possible. Please take the time to answer some of these questions:
    • Aside from the issues already addressed above (building/tile placement & walls), what do you find is currently the most cumbersome aspect of base design?
    • Realistically, how many different, saved base layouts would you actually use?
    • The default setting for the Base Planner is to always center your base (like centering your text in a Word document). Would you have any need for the Base Planner to allow you to left or right (north/south) justify your base?
    • If you were to request one additional feature for the Base Planner, what would it be?

i think we should have 4 save slots, one for missile fleets, mortar fleets, blitz fleets and assault fleets, so a good idea would be to have a random gunboat assault the base fleet the attacker is planning to use and then quickly switch the base layout to the layout best suited to combating the base fleet. but obviously you are not gonna always be able to do this is your offline etc.
    (Meh everyone does, so why not....) Won: Interdictor, Striker, Halo, Super Fort, Golliath, Spectre, Cuda, Corvette, Light cruiser, Destroyer.....that is all my friends...
    Level: 50
    Sectors visited: Who cares?...
  • nOObSkOOby
    nOObSkOOby
    Greenhorn
    Joined Feb 2012 Posts: 5
    The Base Planer in the Back Yard Monsters Game works well. You take your existing base with all amenities and rearrange it as you desire. Saved bases could be great up to 3-5 total but realistically 3 would work fine. Wall placement should be in multiples as well as singles. This being the most teidius part of the game. I wish that we could have a certain numbers of workers or Up Grading and Shipbuilding plants. With the raids and the fact that winning the top prizes is of importance to every player we have a HUGE back log of ships that need built. I understand the "Instant" benefit for Kixeye and the fact that If you want to have it now You NEED to COIN it. But I am unwilling to coin a full fleet and wont hack for one. I have won the Goliath, Strike Cruiser, Interdict-er as well as have yet to build a single HH. been trying to balance the build process but the build times are too long with only one shipyard. 8-12 days for builds and then some only partial? I will plug along because of the profitability portion of your equation. I enjoy the game but to fix the bugs before the new additions would be great. tired of hitting a base and getting loss of connection 3 out of 4 times.

Winner: Goliath, Strike Cruiser, Interdicter,
  • Skyfall drac2
    Skyfall drac2
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Feb 2012 Posts: 3,173
    The Draconian Empire , gathered on feedback, likes it!

"Everything is OK in the end, if it's not OK, then it's not the end."

• Tripod_m
    Tripod_m
    Greenhorn
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 21
    The most cumbersome things I hear about doing the current base layouts are:
    -Building Storage (the ability to “store” building while moving land tiles
    -Walls (that issue is being addressed, A very good solution)
    -Rotating the Dock/Shipyard perhaps
    -the Visible turret ranges during placement. The massive overlapping of red circles is nice, but perhaps add an option of color coding the turrets. (or at least differentiate between defensive and offensive turrets)

** For the new base design layout I’d propose the following:
    - Create an actual Build mode that does not require a constant “click build ->select action-> confirm action-> (use shift for multiple) then rinse/repeat for different actions. Perhaps just bring a “pop-up” menu for all the possible actions. Similar to an “edit” mode
    - Numbering the turrets (IE 1-14) for placement purposes while in “build mode”

4 different stored base layouts should be sufficient (Current, Past, Next, and a ‘tinker base’)
    This should also be sufficient for lower levels, as you can use the ‘future/tinker” base layouts for the next level Outpost upgrade design.

Base Centering option would be a Nice addition, but not necessary.
    The left adjust/right adjust so-to-speak, would only realistically come into play for positioning the opening channel of a base for either further distance from an edge (for added time it would take someone to get to the base [by seconds]) or for putting the base closer (for instant Mortar/Missile fire when someone enters the base attack from that side.

Added suggestions, have a timer after an attack, IE 10 minutes, to where the base cannot be changed out, but other than that, have the option of an “Instant” base change from a saved layout.
    -The major issue to address is that of the turret types, if they will have to have already been built and stored in order to be insta swapped, or if they will all have to be “rebuilt” so to speak, or even the idea that they must remain the type they are, and single upgraded as they are now.
    Also on a scripting side you’ll have to address the issue of the automatic guard fleet placement. (the one it has stored) but this is minor.

**Future options**
    As similar to BYM, Perhaps have the ability to have a different range of fleets attack your base (either AI, or self-controlled) with 0 dmg done afterward. Perhaps use resources to “hire” these ghost mercs. Obviously this attack would get cancelled if your base was under an actual attack to prevent abuse.
  • thermopyle
    thermopyle
    Potential Threat
    Joined May 2012 Posts: 51
    there should be a cooldown going between base designs. all these people that want to flip there base for whatever particular fleet is coming are crazy lol.
  • Zirg
    Zirg
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined Jan 2012 Posts: 1,799
    Wish the larger buildings where just longer, instead of so wide. That way you only have to use 2 tiles for the larger ones, instead of 4 tiles in one area, just to be able to fit one building there. They only run into other 3 tiles just a tad. But that's enough that we have to waiste 4 tiles, when it really only uses 2 full tiles of space. So make them one tile wide, and 2 tiles long. Would give us alot more free tiles for other base designs, if only a few of the 4 tile square buildings, became 2 tile, recktangle buildings. Would make sence, seeing they really only use 2 tiles of space for the most part. Just the design of them forces us to use 4 tiles.
    Shhh!!!!! Be wery, wery quiet. I'm hunting wabbits.
  • Fiery_Dragon_Revived
    Fiery_Dragon_Revived
    Greenhorn
    Joined Aug 2012 Posts: 2
    i cant wait til this is implemented. i love this game. so addictive.
  • whoareyou
    whoareyou
    Potential Threat
    Joined Dec 2011 Posts: 34
    I have brought up this idea in a way before, and I am very excited to see this happening. Great job kixeye! and i really mean that!
    whoareyouSector 3, 150, 133, 160, 98, and soon back to 160
  • freestylepnk
    freestylepnk
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 783
    I would like to have a feature in the base planner where I can turn my mouse pointer into a circle (kinda like the circle when you're moving a turret). These circles will have a range of 86 and 96. This is so that I can check around to see which areas of my base are snipeable and which are not.
    Immortal_Kombat aka Freestylepunk - Retired Level 59 
    Sectors visited: 130, 235, 182, 183, 239, 312, 396, 404, 108
  • Captain Crapalot
    Captain Crapalot
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jan 2012 Posts: 293
    I like this new idea, very nice very useful addition to the game.
  • Sultan714
    Sultan714
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Aug 2011 Posts: 187
    You could make the base design border a TRUE SQUARE, and you could fix the land buffer inconsistency problem.

I like the feature but you should have done it sooner, before you jumped the shark with Merlin Superpower garbage.
  • Loon-a-Sea
    Loon-a-Sea
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Dec 2011 Posts: 159
    Base planner with SFB3 defense in mind showing safe zones for items such as OP, WH's and dock. i.e. if the land is built and SFB3 range tab is on then if you place a WH in the range of a possible grounded SFB3 attack the WH will be red or otherwise alert the designer. This would also be useful when placing guards in base (providing they dont move). oops almost left out LP
    LVL 68 Loon-a-Sea [UCON] FTW
  • Dilligaff70
    Dilligaff70
    Greenhorn
    Joined Dec 2011 Posts: 22
    Love the idea of the Base planner , and i would use maybe 3 designs , 1 current, 1 previous, and 1 new design to work on.
    Not sure if this has been addressed as i did not read all 33 pages, I Normally redesign after being hit and in a bubble.
    One thing i find the hardest when base redesigning is(apart from moving walls) , cannot move certain buildings while repairing or worst : 5 days into a 10 day upgrade or research and halfway through the change , i find i cant move a certain building and have to put my base back the way it was until the upgrade is done .
    So i would say make all buildings available to move at all times
    Raid Hulls Owned - Barracuda, Goliath . Strike Cruiser. Interdictor, Dred X, Battleship, Juggernout, Triton, Hurricane, Mercury
    Sectors visited 187, 305,151,388,82,456,307
    Current Level 60
  • Briana Chew
    Briana Chew
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Apr 2012 Posts: 117
    Don70 wrote: »
    Love the idea of the Base planner , and i would use maybe 3 designs , 1 current, 1 previous, and 1 new design to work on.
    Not sure if this has been addressed as i did not read all 33 pages, I Normally redesign after being hit and in a bubble.
    One thing i find the hardest when base redesigning is(apart from moving walls) , cannot move certain buildings while repairing or worst : 5 days into a 10 day upgrade or research and halfway through the change , i find i cant move a certain building and have to put my base back the way it was until the upgrade is done .

They are all available to move. Shift+click on the building.
  • Wesley Hickey
    Wesley Hickey
    Potential Threat
    Joined Jun 2012 Posts: 57
    thank you!!! I hate on removing all the walls to re a range your base, this should have been added a while before, but, a tiny suggestion, well, could you add a little feature that can test it? like, choose your ships and weapons? with out harming it?
  • jonny cabbage
    jonny cabbage
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Dec 2011 Posts: 1,345
    lot of people have mentioned limiting being able to switch base around in between attacks (straight after a prep for example)

how about having to wait for an hour or two after any attack before a switch is possible

i know with my base it takes around that long to redesign, so with the wait period the status quo would be unchanged

• ForestGrump
    ForestGrump
    Greenhorn
    Joined May 2011 Posts: 2
    as a former BYM and BP player both the planner and auto walls would be a very good addition to WC it would also be nice to be able to change the perspective (of your own base) so you can see troops hidden behind buildings (I keep losing troops that way) I had never considered having multiple layouts but it sounds quite useful. looking forward to having a base planner
  • absolutely_pissed
    absolutely_pissed
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined May 2011 Posts: 529
    Swag, wanna weigh in here, I know you're reading this, any updates on the direction this is going?
    "I assume they cut off all outside contact and put bars on the windows, feed the devs white bread and salt water all weekend till they snap and crap out a new lab...."

• Dark Sigma
    Dark Sigma
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Nov 2011 Posts: 405
    as a former BYM and BP player both the planner and auto walls would be a very good addition to WC it would also be nice to be able to change the perspective (of your own base) so you can see troops hidden behind buildings (I keep losing troops that way) I had never considered having multiple layouts but it sounds quite useful. looking forward to having a base planner

Umm... do you even know which forum you posted this is? This is the Battle Pirates forum and this is a future feature for BATTLE PIRATES - NOT WAR COMMANDER - CHECK WHICH FORUM YOU ARE IN BEFORE YOU POST!
    Battle Pirates Name - Delta
    Level - 56
    Alliance -  Bloody Skulls [BLOOD]
    Alliance Title - Member / Gunner
    Current Sector - 113
    Sectors Visited - 4, 45, 78, 88, 113, 123, 126, 210, 219, 330, 431, 435
    Total Blueprints Obtained / Completed - 155 and counting ;)

Noteworthy Raid Prizes Won - DNX, Mauler, Goli, Mercury, MC, BC, Jugg, Javelin, and many more.

Notewrothy Forsaken Mission Prizes Won - Many
  • Lrd_Chaos_1
    Lrd_Chaos_1
    Potential Threat
    Joined Jul 2012 Posts: 55
    I have not read every page and post, but it would be useful if there was a option to also upgrade multiple walls at once. Same as the way the gold does it but have the option to use resources instead. Im done with my walls, but i remember how much of a pain it was clicking on every single wall to upgrade. More for the little guys, i know some of these young kids dont have the patience like us older ones do. Just an idea to try to keep the smaller guys around longer, longer they stay they higher chance they start buying gold.
    REAL MEN FvF WITH  CLOSE COMBAT, RUN AND GUN AND HIDE UNDER WATER IS FOR THE CHUMPS!!

BP - Lrd_Chaos Lvl 65
  • Loon-a-Sea
    Loon-a-Sea
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Dec 2011 Posts: 159
    you can move damaged items by holding shift while clicking on them to move, in FF, Chrome and IE obviously this doesnt work in full screen, however if you use Maxthon browser you can using the pop up function.
    Don70 wrote: »
    LVL 68 Loon-a-Sea [UCON] FTW
  • Ivan Bull
    Ivan Bull
    Potential Threat
    Joined Nov 2011 Posts: 84
    moto4 wrote: »
    I would use 3-4 different base layouts.
    One additional feature could be... Test Fleet Simulator so that we can see how well our base holds up. Let us choose and control the simulated fleet within the Base Planner.
    +1 That's a must. Especially with all these new hulls and the new tech. :cool:
  • The Dizzle
    The Dizzle
    Potential Threat
    Joined Mar 2012 Posts: 27
    I think 3 to 5 saved designs would COMPLETELY suffice. 3 for the accurate player who knows what he wants and when he wants it, and 5 for the technician who loves to test his designs frequently (me).
  • TrueSob
    TrueSob
    Potential Threat
    Joined Mar 2011 Posts: 59
    If you were to request one additional feature for the Base Planner, what would it be?
    no bugs or glitches after its done that will result in more or less buildings =-)
  • hoarmey
    hoarmey
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Apr 2012 Posts: 127
    maybe some templates?
    Not really thought it through but many bases are essentially similar, maybe 4 or 5 'templates' just for land layout.
    So you load a land layout, all your buildings go into storage for placement and you can adjust the land as you see fit.
    That was just thrown in there..

What i think would be very useful would be a beacon that you could place, you could adjust its radius and it would show easilly that set range radius.
    Basically so you could check for snipability etc around your island quickly.
  • Moza
    Moza
    Potential Threat
    Joined Jul 2012 Posts: 66
    I think 3 to 5 Designs is good and what about being able to turn buildings around on base as well as shipyard and Dock, Or even being able to add a Dock to land???? And i like this idea buildings go into storage and you can adjust the land.:lol:
  • estaga
    estaga
    Potential Threat
    Joined Jul 2012 Posts: 67
    Not sure if it has been mentioned before, but what about 'base codes' just like 'fleet codes' like we have for ultimate shipyard (and of course not anything of KixEye), sharing/working on 'perfect bases' will be a nice communal thing :)
  • Mar10e
    Mar10e
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined May 2012 Posts: 1,868
    estaga wrote: »
    sharing/working on 'perfect bases' will be a nice communal thing :)

Yes, good idea! Then whole sectors will have the same, lame base design ...
    That should solve the problem of people hitting bases for fun for good o.O
  • Vlad1
    Vlad1
    Potential Threat
    Joined Jul 2012 Posts: 75
    Mar10e wrote: »
    Yes, good idea! Then whole sectors will have the same, lame base design ...
    That should solve the problem of people hitting bases for fun for good o.O

+1 Lmao. It would solve the problem of the bottleneck at the shipyard too - we would only need one fleet!
    IGN:  Vlad
    BP Level:  77

This discussion has been closed.