The Base Planner

• Burke
    Burke
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Jun 2011 Posts: 1,005
    As this is a feature being developed heavily on player feedback, we want to make sure that we are giving you as many utilities as possible. Please take the time to answer some of these questions:

• Aside from the issues already addressed above (building/tile placement & walls), what do you find is currently the most cumbersome aspect of base design?
    • Realistically, how many different, saved base layouts would you actually use?
    • The default setting for the Base Planner is to always center your base (like centering your text in a Word document). Would you have any need for the Base Planner to allow you to left or right (north/south) justify your base?
    • If you were to request one additional feature for the Base Planner, what would it be?

This would be a huge improvement. Responses to the questions:

(1) worst aspect of current base design: Difficulty in moving land tiles around because they are supporting the placement of buildings that are larger than the land tiles. This makes it difficult and time consuming to change from one legal base layout to another because intermediate legal layouts may not be available or may require many many moves of tiles.

(2) how many saved base layouts needed: 2-4 should be enough for the purposes I foresee.

(3) any alternatives to centering/alignment: I would like the ability to left/right/top/bottom justify the base design. Or just let us "drag" the whole design as some have suggested. There might be an advantage to moving closer to one border or a corner, to maximize the time it takes an incoming fleet to reach your base entrance or minimize the amount of time an incoming fleet can travel before it comes in range of your turrets.

(4) one additional feature request: Highlight the range of a moving turret (being relocated) in a different color than the highlighted ranges of the other turrets, so that it's easier to see the coverage of the turret you are moving.
  • ark
    ark
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 1,056
    The idea is that you get to make your own designs :)

im glad this was asked and answered because if we couldn't make are own designs it would suck all originality would be lost to this game.
    Warrior_Angel...level 30...sector 491...my base location:294174,72
    BI 5: winner of strike cruiser...BI 6: winner of HH-A

http://support.kixeye.com/mail/
    The only thing this changes for you, if you are a high level player, is hitting bases so low that you have no business hitting them. What's the phrase... try picking on someone your own size?
  • ark
    ark
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 1,056
    Aside from the issues already addressed above (building/tile placement & walls), what do you find is currently the most cumbersome aspect of base design? well moving every thing around like buildings is a pain coz of lack of space.

Realistically, how many different, saved base layouts would you actually use? i would like to keep 10 then you can have some variety.

The default setting for the Base Planner is to always center your base (like centering your text in a Word document). Would you have any need for the Base Planner to allow you to left or right (north/south) justify your base? yea it could be a good little feature to center the planer (cant think of any think to it right now)

If you were to request one additional feature for the Base Planner, what would it be? an additional feature that would be good would be suggested layouts for noobs or if your stuck on things to do.
    Warrior_Angel...level 30...sector 491...my base location:294174,72
    BI 5: winner of strike cruiser...BI 6: winner of HH-A

http://support.kixeye.com/mail/
    The only thing this changes for you, if you are a high level player, is hitting bases so low that you have no business hitting them. What's the phrase... try picking on someone your own size?
  • amish paradise
    amish paradise
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Aug 2012 Posts: 125
    All my issues with base design have been addressed in this forum
    I would probably only use 2 or 3 different designs
    I like the current default
    When designing having actual distances would be cool. Have it where u click one point then click again to get a accurate distance between points.
    Among the waves of time a storm shall rise Out of the abyss peer a demon behold the Razgriz and its wings of black sheath
  • adamski
    adamski
    Greenhorn
    Joined Jun 2012 Posts: 5
    I think you should be able to 'store' all of your buildings in an inventory while you replace them all, (once you've moved around your land).
    Then you should be able to place them all back on the land before 'saving'.

Obviously you would have to make sure you have replaced all items from the 'inventory' before you would be able to save.

You can keep all the other ideas this would be the main feature I would like and I'm sure many others would!

A difference coloured tile to show the middle would be good also.

And... why not just have the grid as a square or rectangle, rather than having it angled...
  • sunnynd1st
    sunnynd1st
    Potential Threat
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 41
    !!!!! POSSIBLE ADDITIONAL FEATURE FOR THE BASE PLANNER !!!!!
    The additional feature for the Base Planner i believe should be to give us the ability to rotate Ground tiles .
    Being able to rotate ground tiles would be a great way of making the most use of each Ground Tile that is available to us and would / could further improve players bases without the need of providing additional land tiles.

Game name: MOB-Baracuda-Elite-KD
    Your User ID is: 1985392
    Base level : 34
    Hulls won : Corvette ,Destroyer , Light Cruiser , Sea Scorpian A , Battleship , Barracuda ,Spectre , Interdictor , Strike Cruiser , Hamerhead B , Goliath , Dreadnought X

Currently in Sector 78
  • Rick Gibbs
    Rick Gibbs
    Potential Threat
    Joined Nov 2011 Posts: 25
    I would like to see something within the base planner that would help us set the best gun arrangement for that design. But also will let us put our own way of gun arrangement. I would hold up to 20 differnt designs min of 10
  • Iron_Maiden
    Iron_Maiden
    Potential Threat
    Joined Sep 2011 Posts: 47
    Realistically, how many different, saved base layouts would you actually use? i would like to keep 3-4

The default setting for the Base Planner is to always center your base (like centering your text in a Word document). Would you have any need for the Base Planner to allow you to left or right (north/south) justify your base? Yes it could be a good feature to center the planer

If you were to request one additional feature for the Base Planner, what would it be?
    the ability to change the orientation (direction) of certain buildings (shipyard and dock) to best fit the space availability and somthing to test if your base is sfb3 safe
    BP level : 70
    Home location : 70 
    Alliance : CFP
    Winner of all ships and armor since Base Invaders III and in Forsaken Misson + some other specials and stuff
    Missing ships Nemesis and mako
  • watahl
    watahl
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Jan 2012 Posts: 341
    I like it A Lot
  • Skull_Pirates
    Skull_Pirates
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jan 2012 Posts: 144
    To help our developers plan for this, can you provide details on one of these cases?[/QUOTE
    Yes having the ability to move your base up, down, left , or right is very important. When you build an entrance channel to a base you may want it as near to the edge as you can get it. That way when a fleet attacks your base from that side they will be in range of your guns as soon as the timer starts. Also just the opposite move your base away as far as you can to make the attacking fleet have to travel farther to enter your channel, which takes time and they may have a slow fleet. Please do not auto center the base build ... Bad idea.
  • Wyvern The PinkiePie
    Wyvern The PinkiePie
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 3,760
    Sounds like it would actually be more promising. :)
  • aurakilla
    aurakilla
    Potential Threat
    Joined May 2012 Posts: 93
    now this is a great idea. I actually look forward to this one!
  • Michael Middleton
    Michael Middleton
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Jun 2011 Posts: 812
    A question I have (sorry if it's been asked or answered already) would this be part of a current building? A change to a building? Or a new building?

Reason I ask the TechLab is a sea based on, I can actually see merits behind that idea - different research comes from different places.

But a base planner (like the yard planner from BYM) is more of a ground based building and that would likely need extra land space, which at the moment is sorely lacking in

EDIT: otherwise a long way in coming and would be very helpful
    My piece of Battle Pirates Fan Fiction: http://forums.kixeye.com/threads/125229-The-Battle-Pirates-story Hope you enjoy!!

My second piece of Battle Pirates Fan Fiction[url] http://forums.kixeye.com/threads/196200-Owen-s-shipyard?p=1716922#post1716922 [/url] Hope you enjoy!!!
    Sortar wrote: »
    haha what an idiot..more money for king will and his tribe of merry idiots...you guys complain then just spend more...classic..
  • black6
    black6
    Potential Threat
    Joined Jan 2012 Posts: 94
    if we spent the res and time, would this feature allow us to change turrets at the click of a button as well? Say so you could have one base layout for mortar fleets, one base layout for missile fleets and one for blitz fleets? I would then, of course, have one layout for giving rez away. click a button my my WH are on the outside? that would be amazing.
  • moto4
    moto4
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jul 2012 Posts: 281
    I would use 3-4 different base layouts.
    One additional feature could be... Test Fleet Simulator so that we can see how well our base holds up. Let us choose and control the simulated fleet within the Base Planner.

• EXILEBITTER
    EXILEBITTER
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jul 2012 Posts: 169
    a base planner would be an amazing tool....i look forward to that...
  • antman
    antman
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Feb 2012 Posts: 1,293
    Click and drag to place walls.

Sorry if its already been said. but it would be awesome to click to points and have a wall build from a-b
  • Siren_NBS
    Siren_NBS
    Potential Threat
    Joined Feb 2012 Posts: 53
    I would love a base planner. Seeing the range of turrets would def be a +. Being able to send a base layout to a fellow player would als be a big +
    Siren
  • The Jury
    The Jury
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jan 2012 Posts: 231
    sounds promising I like the idea, similar to a "inventory" button but more automated, I like it:D

***Aside from the issues already addressed above (building/tile placement & walls), what do you find is currently the most cumbersome aspect of base design?

the worst part is waiting for the buildings to repair, before you can move them

***Realistically, how many different, saved base layouts would you actually use?

I think four would be enough, however i'd add that a kixeye "base trader/base bank" (someone mentioned a comp for templates maybe an idea)where you can swap any of your four current options for other designs up to 4 max, and only say on a quarterly basis would you be allowed that option for free, or for coiners they might liketo "purchase" on a quicker basis for xx gold.

I'd also implement only being allowed the base changer when say 70% damage has occurred, to prevent bub buds constantly using it and also prevent swaps after minor preps.

Effectively you can change between your four designs as much as you like, provided 70% damage has occurred before the "layout Options" button appears and you have the quarterly option to exchange those fours designs, or less ,for another

***The default setting for the Base Planner is to always center your base (like centering your text in a Word document). Would you have any need for the Base Planner to allow you to left or right (north/south) justify your base?

yes, a centre,left,right justify would be useful. element of suprise and travel for the attacker, but again only to be used after xx% damage

***If you were to request one additional feature for the Base Planner, what would it be?

I already mentioned it above actually, the "base bank" which holds myriad of templates for free every 3 months, or for purchase whenever up to a maximum of four in your designer suite

EDIT: I have to add a "testing fleet" is not required. Ask someone to test it or wait for the enemy - to encourage game play.
    And yet, across the gulf of oceans, minds presumably superior to ours regarded this game with envious eyes; and slowly, and surely, they drew their plans against us.
  • Terry Beson
    Terry Beson
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined May 2012 Posts: 225
    I really like the sound of this idea. I found it very useful in BYM. Hopefully it will be as efficient. Maybe a rotate option can be added? Thank you

I hate to bug but .... pssst .... drydock ;)
    THANK YOU TO EVERYONE AT KIXEYE FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK ... CHEERS !!!

FU boku for ripping me off !!! 
  • Hawk
    Hawk
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 107
    Great Idea the Base planner like it, The issue about the proposed new level system thats a BIG NO NO. would not improve the game one little bit..
  • plzdonhakme
    plzdonhakme
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Apr 2012 Posts: 956
    u mean like backyard monsters? feel like making one for war commander too?
  • Mike Harden
    Mike Harden
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jun 2011 Posts: 125
    Long overdue but great idea. This game has needed this for as long as I can remember and never understood why it wasn't implemented.
    I am Hardfugoo!
    Stop the Filipino's from taking over every facebook game... before its to late.
  • WolfCypher
    WolfCypher
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Apr 2012 Posts: 349
    I've been wanting this for months.
  • Hawk
    Hawk
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 107
    Its a great idea base planner, like it well done kixeye, now all you need to do is come up with a dry dock for us :)
  • Donaghy ICU
    Donaghy ICU
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Sep 2011 Posts: 365
    I like the base planner in Back Yard Monsters. Having that same planner in Battle Pirates would be amazing

• bscarson
    bscarson
    Potential Threat
    Joined Aug 2011 Posts: 35
    I like this idea. I would be playing with this a lot.
  • Dread Pyrate Turtle
    Dread Pyrate Turtle
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined Jul 2011 Posts: 1,534

We are currently working on early designs for the Base Planner. This interface will allow players to open up a planning grid on which land tiles and buildings can be arranged. When you are finished with your design on the grid, you can save your design, and execute the changes to your base with one click of the mouse.

One of areas of base design that can be the most time consuming is wall placement. There will be a feature, currently dubbed “autowalls”, that will allow users to easily reposition many wall segments at one time. This feature will automatically detect the correct wall segment that visually matches the direction the wall is facing. Once a wall is placed, you can manually change the visual type of an individual wall segment.

The automatic function of “autowalls” will be disabled on existing walls to preserve existing base designs. Newly constructed wall segments (including those placed in the Base Planner) will be automatically oriented by default. We will be removing the 3 different shapes of walls from the Build menu and replacing them with the single, more universal shape.

In addition, we’re making sure to give players control over when their base configuration is saved. Experiment with illegal setups along the way - the tool will validate your changes when ready, as opposed to every single step along the way. This should dramatically speed up the time required to rearrange bases, while also encouraging people to experiment with different base layouts.

As this is a feature being developed heavily on player feedback, we want to make sure that we are giving you as many utilities as possible. Please take the time to answer some of these questions:

• Aside from the issues already addressed above (building/tile placement & walls), what do you find is currently the most cumbersome aspect of base design?
    • Realistically, how many different, saved base layouts would you actually use?
    • The default setting for the Base Planner is to always center your base (like centering your text in a Word document). Would you have any need for the Base Planner to allow you to left or right (north/south) justify your base?
    • If you were to request one additional feature for the Base Planner, what would it be?
    Being able to save three to five base designs would be awesome! I like the idea of a single wall piece type. Being able to adjust the base left or right would be extremely handy since not all base designs are center oriented. All of the ideas presented so far sound great!
    [QUOTE]"I'm a hacker!" - Will Harbin[/QUOTE]
    [QUOTE]"He was once a legit player like you, until he took a cheat tool to the knee." - Xandamere[/QUOTE]
  • Polarragnarspartan
    Polarragnarspartan
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Sep 2011 Posts: 468
    if there was a way tht we didnt have to delete certain things such as refineries when we r redesigning that would be helpful
    Sectors traveled- 8~39~47~59~79~102~103~104~105~106~107~108~167~205~208~210~
    211~212~266~344~352~366~409~433~442~444 ~473~to be continued

Current lvl ~473

• RW Miller
    RW Miller
    Master Tactician
    Joined May 2012 Posts: 2,136
    hmm so everyone will soon have the same base design .lol cant you please just make the base and force it on us alowing us to put our weapons how we like .. I would like 2 more pieces of land please
This discussion has been closed.