Information gathering program..

Eddy51
Eddy51
Greenhorn
Joined Jan 2012 Posts: 8
edited 17 Jan 2012, 3:29AM
Would a program that gathered information from battle pirates be against the terms? Only information that would normally be accessible by the player. I read the terms and the way I read it, I would say not.

I have made programs that interact with flash applications before and by the looks of Battle Pirates it would be possible as well.
  • KIXEYE Swag
    KIXEYE Swag
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Nov 2011 Posts: 3,665
    There is a very fine line there. I would need to know specifically what the program would do and which information it is gathering.
  • Eddy51
    Eddy51
    Greenhorn
    Well I would need to examine the Battle Pirates traffic a bit more to see what was possible, but maybe information like the following:
    • Your own base design layout
    • Attack information (Base/Fleet)
    • Your fleet information
    • Gathering map locations such as bases and resources

There just some I can think of right now but I'm sure there would be more. I have not started developing any program yet so couldn't tell you exactly what information it would/could get at the moment.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 721
    Eddy51 wrote: »
    Well I would need to examine the Battle Pirates traffic a bit more to see what was possible, but maybe information like the following:
    • Your own base design layout
    • Attack information (Base/Fleet)
    • Your fleet information
    • Gathering map locations such as bases and resources

There just some I can think of right now but I'm sure there would be more. I have not started developing any program yet so couldn't tell you exactly what information it would/could get at the moment.

If it could gather information about the fleet that attacked you, and you could implement the 4th point into a bookmarks program, I know there is one out there and I use it but this could help out when one moves to a new sector, it's a big world out there, and having a program that tell you where other bases and mines are can be of big help.
    Lou Seal wrote: »
    So, I see that square base, roll up and flatten it. Suddenly there's sector police everywhere, the noob is crying on coms and everyone's looking at me like I'm the bad guy? Shoulda built a better base.

I'm also not allowed back in that neighborhood.
    afroninja wrote: »
    I didn't think Man Tim could say anything more stupid, then what he normally post.. Today you have proved me wrong. Congrats. :D
    Rufi0 wrote: »
    "**** be loco"
  • Flo
    Flo
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Jun 2011 Posts: 8,586
    Eddy51 wrote: »
    • Your own base design layout(look on your account)
    • Attack information (Base/Fleet)(Battle log and if you want more destails you need to be online. And take screenshots of the bases you attack)
    • Your fleet information(look on your account)
    • Gathering map locations such as bases and resources(if you want to find them out using this program i dont think its legal,else joel stoners bookmark programm)

You dont need any of these,problem solved
    Currently playing: Vega Conflict
    Alliance: Galaxy Lords

• Eddy51
    Eddy51
    Greenhorn
    Wolfpack wrote: »
    If it could gather information about the fleet that attacked you, and you could implement the 4th point into a bookmarks program, I know there is one out there and I use it but this could help out when one moves to a new sector, it's a big world out there, and having a program that tell you where other bases and mines are can be of big help.

If I could gather map information a bookmark program could be made, or I make an API which other developers can use.
    You dont need any of these,problem solved
    • Your own base design layout(look on your account)[this info could be used in a base design program in import your current design. Or maybe used to monitor times left on upgrades and research]
    • Attack information (Base/Fleet)(Battle log and if you want more destails you need to be online. And take screenshots of the bases you attack)[could log information on a attacking ships design. For bases could be used to take a copy of enemy base for a base design program]
    • Your fleet information(look on your account)[could be used to import ship info to ship design program]
    • Gathering map locations such as bases and resources(if you want to find them out using this program i dont think its legal,else joel stoners bookmark programm)[That's why I'm asking what is allowed and what's not]
  • RazorUK
    RazorUK
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Jun 2011 Posts: 1,348
    My latest base design program, which gathers no data at all from a player currently has an (auto update feature) built into the software which does gather information from my server, it downloads a INI.file to your temp files folder. which is accessible by typing %temp% into the windows run command and if you view a file called "BP_updates.ini" you will see the only information collected is what version of the EXE.file you are currently running.

However it doesn't send any information back to my server it simply does a comparison on the local machine...

I'm also currently creating a program that in effect recreates the BattlePirates map in a sector, which will come preloaded with all Draconian base and mine locations - read more...

Again no data is transmitted by the user to myself or my server, but between the two programs it allows the user to do all of the following when entered manually...

• Design a copy of a persons base layout, must have took a screenshot, and created the layout manually
    • Bookmark a players location, must have already found that location manually, and then pasted into the games chat manually

Software can be created without gathering any data :)
  • Eddy51
    Eddy51
    Greenhorn
    RazorUK wrote: »
    My latest base design program, which gathers no data at all from a player currently has an (auto update feature) built into the software which does gather information from my server, it downloads a INI.file to your temp files folder. which is accessible by typing %temp% into the windows run command and if you view a file called "BP_updates.ini" you will see the only information collected is what version of the EXE.file you are currently running.

However it doesn't send any information back to my server it simply does a comparison on the local machine...

I'm also currently creating a program that in effect recreates the BattlePirates map in a sector, which will come preloaded with all Draconian base and mine locations - read more...

Again no data is transmitted by the user to myself or my server, but between the two programs it allows the user to do all of the following when entered manually...

• Design a copy of a persons base layout, must have took a screenshot, and created the layout manually
    • Bookmark a players location, must have already found that location manually, and then pasted into the games chat manually

Software can be created without gathering any data :)

Yeah I use your software it does what it needs to without accessing server data, but I'm just asking the question of what would be allowed. I am not developing any software that would gather data from the server nor any other software for BP at the moment. Just seeing what the limits are before even thinking about starting a project like any good programmer.
  • RazorUK
    RazorUK
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Jun 2011 Posts: 1,348
    Sounds very interesting, best advice would be to PM Swag instead of the forum (if you haven't already) at least then you hold the cards near your chest still and hopefully also get a response as well. I know what you mean about staying quiet always been on off my biggest flaws tell people all the time what I'm doing (more so with free software) goodluck to you anyway...

You have caught my attention ;)