Best Base Layout: Compact or Expansive?

TomBrooklyn
TomBrooklyn
Master Tactician
Joined Oct 2012 Posts: 2,414
edited 14 Aug 2018, 5:49PM
Generally speaking, is the best base layout compact or expansive?

A compact base allows better mutually supporting fire; but more damage can be taken from each incoming round.

An expansive base prevents area attacks from damaging so many buildings with each shot received; but reduces the capacity of mutually supporting fire.

Those that have done 3 or 4 base expansions like I have, can expand the defensive buildings considerably if we want to. 

• Jason Ensinger
    Jason Ensinger
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Sep 2012 Posts: 3,669
    Compact is better for PvE defense like in events and Invasion, but expanded is better for PvP. It would be nice if layouts could be saved in the base designer, but they don't, so I just keep my base spread out and just deal with the extra damage in PvE. I haven't had any problems completing PvE defensive waves since spreading defenses out, but do start taking a little damage in earlier waves that I wouldn't have with a compact design.
  • Maximus The 1 n Only
    Maximus The 1 n Only
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Apr 2016 Posts: 160
    IF you run constant Missile Bastions, a compact design can still work very well in pvp. It's taken up to 5 players to destroy my base.. hitting back to back.. without a chance for my to coin my base toons back.  Though, you are correct. The Spread out version can be tougher. I flat the spread out version with 1 toon. Many need 2-3 toons on my compact version. I'm also too lazy to change my design back and forth. lol ;^)
    That Fair Player You Dread
  • TomBrooklyn
    TomBrooklyn
    Master Tactician
    Joined Oct 2012 Posts: 2,414
    ES_Maximus said: I'm also too lazy to change my design back and forth. lol ;^)

It's very cumbersome to change base designs, which makes experimenting prohibitive, an evermore glaring deficiency in the modern age of computing.

• reyismujafi
    reyismujafi
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jun 2013 Posts: 251
    Compact is better for PvE defense like in events and Invasion, but expanded is better for PvP. It would be nice if layouts could be saved in the base designer, but they don't, so I just keep my base spread out and just deal with the extra damage in PvE. I haven't had any problems completing PvE defensive waves since spreading defenses out, but do start taking a little damage in earlier waves that I wouldn't have with a compact design.
    I really love it if kixeye truly able to make it happen, to save our base design so we can change it anytime we need. Hope they read and make it real.