Polly or Santiago?

Flagfish
Flagfish
Potential Threat
Joined Feb 2014 Posts: 74
edited 7 Aug 2018, 2:14PM
I'm a returning payer after quitting the game about two years ago and have some catching up to do.  Planning to buy a hero from the gear store this month.  Mainly I need to farm medals (HZ 90 would be ideal) and of course upgrade parts from faction bases, all of which are still pretty much out of reach for me at the moment. I did purchase a jug but it will take some time to get it upgraded to the point where it's useful.

I have plenty of workshopped libs, ZK's, a couple of envoys, Herald, a few Cyclopes, Phalanxes, technicals and caretakers, all undergoing upgrades averaging about level 6  or 7. This takes time but I constantly have as many upgrades running as the game allows. Libs and ZK's are level 11 or 12.

Which hero is my best bet to purchase first for my needs, Polly or Santiago?

Thanks.
  • Gudari43
    Gudari43
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Oct 2013 Posts: 1,065
    I like Santiago along with it's heroic tech.  Very strong / versatile especially when combined other drakons.  Polly does offer the unique ability to shock structures / units, but the dps very low so you need some strong backup to take out any threat quickly.
  • Nick_M168
    Nick_M168
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined May 2015 Posts: 498
    Go with Santiago. Hook him up with some tech and a couple caretakers with jugg and ds, and you'll flat any base.
  • ThrowingJungle
    ThrowingJungle
    Potential Threat
    Joined Dec 2013 Posts: 83
    i would say go with Polly as she can scramble units and has build in stealth at lvl1. Polly tech allows ya to hit air and reduce sustain/area damage by 80%
  • Flagfish
    Flagfish
    Potential Threat
    Thank you for the helpful replies. I've decided I'm gonna farm enough medals to get both. More or less flipped a coin and got Santiago first. Farming HZ 40's is slow and painful, but I can't figure out how to do HZ90's with my units. Got 500+ medals towards Polly already so I'll get there.  Let's see what the next event offers. Maybe a few Furies.
  • Jason Ensinger
    Jason Ensinger
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Sep 2012 Posts: 3,669

Cyclops, and inherently Polly, are going to be in the next unit rebalance update. Don't know when, but since lacking in damage and splash, one or both should get buffed.

• Gudari43
    Gudari43
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Oct 2013 Posts: 1,065
    Flagfish said:
    Thank you for the helpful replies. I've decided I'm gonna farm enough medals to get both. More or less flipped a coin and got Santiago first. Farming HZ 40's is slow and painful, but I can't figure out how to do HZ90's with my units. Got 500+ medals towards Polly already so I'll get there.  Let's see what the next event offers. Maybe a few Furies.
    For HZ90's I recommend checking out YouTube and search "War Commander HZ90".  Filter by most recent and see how other players do this base.  You can do this for nearly any type of base and even events.  I've found very good tips, techniques and unique approaches. Often time I realize I have the right units, but just never thought of how to combine them best for a quick victory with minimal repair.

Good luck Commander!
  • David98821
    David98821
    Potential Threat
    Joined Nov 2013 Posts: 66
    Gudari43 said:
    Flagfish said:
    For HZ90's I recommend checking out YouTube and search "War Commander HZ90".  Filter by most recent and see how other players do this base.  You can do this for nearly any type of base and even events.  I've found very good tips, techniques and unique approaches. Often time I realize I have the right units, but just never thought of how to combine them best for a quick victory with minimal repair.

Good luck Commander!
    This may be a little off topic, but it seems that you are looking for a way to farm HZ90's so you can get medals for either.  I found an easy way - after using my Jugg and Polly, I figured all I need is Deena and time.  Kill the two radio towers, then use Deena to take out the ground units - hit end attack as soon as she shots, then go back and do it again - over and over.  I kill all of the air needed to let me use my Herald, but if you don't have Herlad- keep going until you can clean up with what you do have.  It is slow, but I can jge a base done in about 10 minutes with 0 repair time

• Flagfish
    Flagfish
    Potential Threat
    Thanks, I have a herald but no Deena.

The problem with the videos is most of them are are either using units I don't have, and sometimes I don't even know what they are. Then instead of explaining what they are doing, they blare their kid-sister's garage-band head-banging music that most often just gives me a headache. Even if I know the units or have them, The video's most often don't show level, tech used, etc. I did see a video with ZK's and Polly that looked doable, so I'll give it a try once I have her, but no doubt I'll need at least he 80% sustain damage tech.

After being gone 2 years, I missed an a lot, and forgot a lot. It's rough being a noob again.
  • HotSausage
    HotSausage
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Aug 2013 Posts: 416
    polly for the love of god get polly

• Flagfish
    Flagfish
    Potential Threat
    polly for the love of god get polly

Okay okay, I got Polly!

Farming of HZ 40's  was excruciating but I think it will be worth it.

Again, thanks everyone.
  • Axel L
    Axel L
    WC Mod
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 10,756
    I highly recommend getting Polly and the main reason for that is his ability to deal the Scramble status effect. This status effect will make most of the Light Vehicles, Heavy Vehicles, Airborne units and turrets unable to fire any shots.

Another reason why I would advice you to get Polly is that he cannot get substituted with with Cyclops in most of the situations unlike with Santiago who can get replaced with Drakons.
    Video games don't cause violence, lag does.