MERCENARY RAID 2018 - THOUGHTS AND OPINIONS

Fred Pedamundo
Fred Pedamundo
Potential Threat
Joined Dec 2012 Posts: 34
In Hindsight, what are your thoughts and opinions on the May 2018 Mercenary raid? 
  • TigerAceR
    TigerAceR
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined Sep 2011 Posts: 1,951
    VvVvVvVvV said:
    Because we're still angry.
    Then find something different to do in your free time if this game makes you that mad. No ones forcing you to stay and play. If you don't like the game and it's not changing then quit. It's so stupid being mad 24/7 over stuff in the past and things you can't even change.
    Former Battle Vortex Arbiter
  • RandySpeedo
    RandySpeedo
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Sep 2014 Posts: 213
    best raid evah
  • TRUCULENT2
    TRUCULENT2
    Joined Mar 2014 Posts: 1,936
    Balls
    2 Months ago it was just a finger, then it was two. Last month it was the fist, and last week to the elbow....
  • Fred Pedamundo
    Fred Pedamundo
    Potential Threat
    TigerAceR said:
    Beating a dead horse are we?
    Image result for beating a dead horse gif
    Trying to give it CPR actually. Threads scattered about and are being closed to further comments. I am looking for constructive comments that have the benefit of hindsight now that the event has passed. Now we can reflect and hopefully be a bit more objective than we are in the heat of the moment... but either way, a dead horse feels no pain.
  • DADakaDTM
    DADakaDTM
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jan 2015 Posts: 104
    Still angry. Raid sucked. Damage was way too high.  There is no excuse for the top level fleet (4 manticores) with 1 armor each to get 6 hours repair time in an 80s set and 2-4 hours repair time in a 60s set.   
  • CAPT_KNUTSACK
    CAPT_KNUTSACK
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Aug 2012 Posts: 207
    TigerAceR said:
    Image result for beating a dead horse gif
    Thats not a horse
  • T00T
    T00T
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Feb 2013 Posts: 1,439
    edited 16 May 2018, 12:57AM
    @Kix, what are your thoughts and opinions about the Mercenary Raid?
  • TigerAceR
    TigerAceR
    Joined Sep 2011 Posts: 1,951
    VvVvVvVvV said:
    TigerAceR said:
    VvVvVvVvV said:
    Then find something different to do in your free time if this game makes you that mad. No ones forcing you to stay and play. If you don't like the game and it's not changing then quit. It's so stupid being mad 24/7 over stuff in the past and things you can't even change.
    There is nothing wrong with being angry at a company that consistently releases a poor product upgrade. 

What in my post would lead you to think I go around in the real world being angry 24/7 at some waste of time game?

And yes, in good companies, mgmt does respond to customer feedback, so it is possible to change things. Whether or not this is a good company is a different topic. (hint -- they're not....)

Why should you jump on my case for simple expressing an opinion? IF you're happy with the way the game is going, they be all means say so -- but do so without criticising other players simply because they choose to also express their opinion and you might consider refraining from making unfounded assumptions about what other players do in the real world. 
    What would lead me to that? You're posts are always about something that upsets you about the game. If you're so upset that you're raging about something all the time quit. Move on. It's not an unfounded assumption. It's not just you either. Half the forum acts like they're forced to play the game.
    Former Battle Vortex Arbiter
  • john joseph svelnys
    john joseph svelnys
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Nov 2015 Posts: 505
    i could not do the raid got 100 points, so i am interested in hind sight kix answer
  • Atomic Lunatic
    Atomic Lunatic
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 143
    Shove it
  • x lucy x
    x lucy x
    Potential Threat
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 45
    There was a raid?

• Ray_P
    Ray_P
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Aug 2012 Posts: 2,513
    I think the results and next steps were summarized very well on tonight's TFC show.   You might want to stop by and check out the show or slide pack if they post it.  I sure hope Kix see the recommended solutions.  High tech stuff like make the auto hull the auto hull again,  not something you have to drive every target like the skill hull.
    Ray_P   

Winner of Hellhound, Grimshine, Nighthawk,  V2 C/H, JuggX, Mastedon, Interceptor, Atlas, Viper, Enforcer, Nash, Reaper, Spectre, Hellstrike, Vindicator, Triton, Stingray, Interdictor, Hurricane, MCX, Goliath, Barracuda, Strike Cruiser, Mercury, Mauler, Super Fortress, Battleship, Battle Cruiser,  HHA,  HHB 

Remember at the end of the day it's a game,  it's not your life. 

Sectors 138,  316,  248,  177,   315
  • kixeyeuser_1375810824263_12234_28846940
    kixeyeuser_1375810824263_12234_28846940
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Feb 2016 Posts: 4,911

@TigerAceR said:

Hey if a certain Lithuanian YouTuber I know can make his living off of beating dead horses on the internet twice a week surely this forum can take on or two Horse Beatings

• LaidBackPirate
    LaidBackPirate
    Greenhorn
    Joined Feb 2013 Posts: 14
    In Hindsight, what are your thoughts and opinions on the May 2018 Mercenary raid? 

In my personal opinion the raid seemed more challenging than previous ones. I was able to put out two missile mantis for the raid, and was hitting 100s for a close to reasonable repair cost. I believe the s target was in line with what I expected in terms of difficulty. 
  • Kaptin Ugrosh
    Kaptin Ugrosh
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Nov 2011 Posts: 543
    As I didn't post in the main reactions thread, here's my 2 cents.

In the interests of full disclosure, I did mostly 60 and 80 sets, then some 100s with Bullseye Brigade crews. I ended up with 57M points for 130 coins of repairs. I had 4 ranked and equipped scattergun Manticores with D1M armour, plus a blank with a 5th Savage CIC for the deflection bonus.

This raid would have been easy if you have either a Caedes or a fully built, ranked, and armoured set of Scorpion CIC missile manticores.

Now the number of Caedes in the game is probably pretty small, and with only a week to equip them from blanks, the number of full Scorpion Manticore fleets was likely to be even smaller. So most of the player base was out of luck for having a fleet the targets were tuned against.

Speaking of the tuning, the damage levels at the start of the raid were obscene. After the reduction, fully built Skyfire and Phoenix fleets could do a few sets of 60s before needing repairs, as opposed to a single 60 target wiping them out. Still not good for players whose assault fleets are partially built, and that means they're another month behind on catching up in raid tech. If the next raid reverts back to the original damage values for all targets, I would have serious concerns about Kix's intentions.

Most of my unavoidable damage came from a single source - the prototype missiles on the Kodiaks. These things are a complete PITA. Even if you kill the ammo carriers, your ships *have* to eat the damage from them to kill them and the missiles cannot be shot down. If I could retreat after the ammo carriers were dead, the problem was solved, but most targets didn't give enough time to do that.

The lack of general build tokens meant I could not adjust my builds in any meaningful sense once the raid started. In the first siege raid, I was in a similar place in only having 2 Buccs built, but I could improve them as I figured out what worked and what didn't. In this raid, it was the fact that AgiSys4 was useless and should have been replaced by Tactical Insulator. The general build tokens need to be back in the next raid.

Then there's the raid prize costs. If this was the 5th raid of the siege set, sure, no problem. But for the first raid of a completely new sequence, the tokens in the locked store weren't worth a look for non-Caedes owners.

So is there any good news? Well, at least I know what I need to build towards for next raid. The mobile turret platforms are a nice idea. There's potential here, but it's up to Kix whether it works or sinks to the ocean floor.
    "Sir! Permission to call this squad Black Squad, sir!"
    "Denied. We already have fifteen Black Squads, twelve Dark Squads, four Raven Squads, three Midnight Squads, one Sable Squad, one Ebony Squad and one," she glanced at a sheet of paper, "Pink Squad. Yes... we're all a little worried about Pink Squad."
    - Grunts!
  • VvVvVvVvV
    VvVvVvVvV
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Jan 2012 Posts: 790
    TigerAceR said:
    VvVvVvVvV said:
    TigerAceR said:
    VvVvVvVvV said:

What would lead me to that? You're posts are always about something that upsets you about the game. If you're so upset that you're raging about something all the time quit. Move on. It's not an unfounded assumption. It's not just you either. Half the forum acts like they're forced to play the game.

"You're posts are always about something that upsets you about the game"

So it's not must my comment in this thread, it seems you have taken issue with --me-- and the partially correct fact that my general posts are usually negative criticisms. 

Too bad. 

Forums, even in half-arsed companies, are supposed to be places were customers/players can come to post and exchange ideas and feedback about a product. If you dislike someone's opinion, disagree with them and post your own. ad hominem attacks are always wrong and lead one to suspect a dearth of valid ideas on the part of someone who takes the low road. 
    "It's not just you either. Half the forum acts like they're forced to play the game."
    Ah, this gets to the heart of the matter. It would seem you're tired of reading negative criticisms about a game you feel is doing just fine -- you're in the "shut up and play or leave" camp. So sorry that there are people who don't share your view of the game, it must be rough on you to have to see your heroes treated so poorly. How about I take your approach and make a suggest to you -- you're not forced to read forum posts. If reading opinions of "half the forum" is upsetting you so much, then it's probably not your happy place. 

And always be careful about how you use always. General Feedback is usually a negative place, it seems that a large number of players are not happy with the product (myself included) and the product will only continue to decline if we don't speak up. I agree that many comments are rude and not constructive, but people expressing their sentiments towards the game (not towards other players!) is valid and in the aggregate gives mgmt something to work with. And since you seem to know so much about me ("You're [sic] posts are always about....") yet you don't seem to have read the posts I often make in Feedback. That is the better place for positive feedback, even if it is tilting at windmills. 

This game draws a very diverse group of players. Some express themselves in the forums in very terse ways, others spend freely from their vocabularies. And as long as they are exchanging ideas and opinions about the game itself,  that's the way it's supposed to work. When the anger gets directed at individuals, there is a problem. 

Battle Pirates -- 5 minutes of game play, 12 hours of repair

“Too many F2P games focus on whale spending. Pay to win is not a sustainable model for the games ecosystem.” -- Will Harbin interview on GamesBeat, Oct 2014
  • Fred Pedamundo
    Fred Pedamundo
    Potential Threat
    edited 16 May 2018, 10:39PM
    I was thinking CONSTRUCTIVE, but we can just argue amongst ourselves instead. I enjoy this game and community and would like to see it get back to where it once was. It's a good game. It can be fixed but obviously kixeye need fresh ideas on how to proceed rather than continuing on down the same rabbit hole.
  • Fleas_In_My_Beard
    Fleas_In_My_Beard
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Jan 2018 Posts: 1,000

I'm a little surprised that there's been nothing said AT ALL from Kix management about this last joke of a raid.
    Suffice to say, a 2nd event of the same damage will see even more players leave the game, or just refuse to engage the targets.
    That can not be considered a successful design if that happens.
    A significant re-tuning (down, of course, not up) of damage inflicted would be ideal.
    Failure to implement those changes will mean that this cycle will see less & less engagement even if everyone has full Manticore fleets because who wants to spend more than they should just to keep up?
    & not everyone could get the missile for the hull either.
    (That could've been a co-op TLC, incidentally)

Fleas for free for all pirates, you're very welcome
  • kixeyeuser_1375810824263_12234_28846940
    kixeyeuser_1375810824263_12234_28846940
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Feb 2016 Posts: 4,911

@Fleas_In_My_Beard said:
    I'm a little surprised that there's been nothing said AT ALL from Kix management about this last joke of a raid.
    Suffice to say, a 2nd event of the same damage will see even more players leave the game, or just refuse to engage the targets.
    That can not be considered a successful design if that happens.
    A significant re-tuning (down, of course, not up) of damage inflicted would be ideal.
    Failure to implement those changes will mean that this cycle will see less & less engagement even if everyone has full Manticore fleets because who wants to spend more than they should just to keep up?
    & not everyone could get the missile for the hull either.
    (That could've been a co-op TLC, incidentally)

They could, instead of making unblockable missiles, do what From The Depths does, and a Shot down missile detonates it's warhead when destroyed by CMs.

Just a thought.

• Lady-Jessica
    Lady-Jessica
    Joined Jun 2013 Posts: 1,848

In my personal opinion the raid seemed more challenging than previous ones. I was able to put out two missile mantis for the raid, and was hitting 100s for a close to reasonable repair cost. I believe the s target was in line with what I expected in terms of difficulty. 
    There is a difference in "challenge" and just things doing to much dmg, the raid was not challenging in the slightest you get into range of a target you kill that target while staying out of range of any other thing and then you move on to the next one its just that everything chunked your hp for like 7% of your ships hp every volley.

Going off what you could do in the 1st raid of a cycle for the past several raid this raid was a flop pretty much every past raid since they started doing garrison/siege/ skirmish/assault one could use 2 of the new ship in the top end target and do fairly well and those that had a full fleet did great and a full fleet of slightly less good tech could do the lower end targets fairly well. Were as in this raid even those who had pretty much a full fleet were still struggling with the raid not because of the difficulty of the target but because the damage is cranked up so much. This was also compounded by the fact that for the past year the community has relied on charged armor for protection which has now been made pretty much useless and that leaves both the players and the devs caught off guard by how much dmg things will be taking now.
  • LaidBackPirate
    LaidBackPirate
    Greenhorn
    Joined Feb 2013 Posts: 14

There is a difference in "challenge" and just things doing to much dmg, the raid was not challenging in the slightest you get into range of a target you kill that target while staying out of range of any other thing and then you move on to the next one its just that everything chunked your hp for like 7% of your ships hp every volley.

Going off what you could do in the 1st raid of a cycle for the past several raid this raid was a flop pretty much every past raid since they started doing garrison/siege/ skirmish/assault one could use 2 of the new ship in the top end target and do fairly well and those that had a full fleet did great and a full fleet of slightly less good tech could do the lower end targets fairly well. Were as in this raid even those who had pretty much a full fleet were still struggling with the raid not because of the difficulty of the target but because the damage is cranked up so much. This was also compounded by the fact that for the past year the community has relied on charged armor for protection which has now been made pretty much useless and that leaves both the players and the devs caught off guard by how much dmg things will be taking now.

So you dont consider avoiding getting hit by high damage weapons a challenge? As I said by using missile mantis you could skillfully avoid most damage which means less repair. I know not everyone went that route, and the time to refit from scatter to missile was very limited without the use of coin, but if you were able to put out a couple of missile mantis then you could do the 100s for roughly 1-2hr repair with careful driving, crews, pinches, and by choosing a strategically path of doing the target. I recall last raid cycles s targets could get done on auto, and that is supposed to be the hardest targets :/ just saying.
  • KODIAK BEAR
    KODIAK BEAR
    Incursion Leader
    Joined May 2012 Posts: 1,174
    edited 17 May 2018, 7:59AM
    I had a Caedes. I could do the raid damage free. I spent my time helping others. For the first raid ever since Raid 5 I did not get everything. Am I happy? ABSOLUTELY NOT! I am grieving for the number of good friends who have walked away from this game in the last 1-2 months. I fully expect Kixeye to nerf my Caedes for the next raid. As a mega coiner that will finally convince me to quit this game.

The game is dying fast. 2017 was really bad, 2018 is a disaster.

I have lost my enthusiasm x 1000%. NO FUN, NO TRUST IN KIXEYE, NO HOPE.

I will not continue to reward Kixeye for bad decisions. So I have stopped coining.

For the love of god Kixeye, communicate with your player base!!!!!!!!
    Remember Kixeye, PLAYERS FIRST!
  • carl.wear.3
    carl.wear.3
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined May 2013 Posts: 5,086
    The map designs were not too bad. Its the excessive unavoidable damage that was the problem.
  • Adom_M
    Adom_M
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 420
    Ok where to start lol.

Targets damage way to high,
    Points for killing targets way to low
    Prizes over priced
    No generic build tokens in prize list
    I am sure there are many more points that could be made, but theres the headlines.

The worst aspect is that as the first raid of the cycle, it should have been positioned, that a player who was in the process of cobbling together a Manticore fleet, and wasn't ready to use them, could use there Sky/Phionx fleet from last year, and be able to get reasonable points that would allow them to get some tech that would enhance the Mantis ready for the next raid, at a reasonable cost (either time or coin).
    This wasn't the case, so kix has managed to alienate a huge number of players.

I am not talking from my aspect, I had by the end of the raid, 4 x scatter Mantis all with 2 x D5.COM armours, I managed at a cost to get over 100 mill points.
    Its the less well prepared (for whatever reason) that suffered massively.

The worlds where dead throughout the raid, and the forum was full of players threatening to walk away from the game, even if only a small percentage do so, its still a loss, and one that eventually will effect us all.  
    Never lose sight that this is a game, its not life and death!!!
  • bort
    bort
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 7,971
    we were well overdue for an even slightly difficult raid.

nice for kix to deliver a bit of a challenge and forcing some decisions, rather than just going - here have everything.
  • Carlo DeNauw
    Carlo DeNauw
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Aug 2012 Posts: 3,799
    TigerAceR said:
    VvVvVvVvV said:
    TigerAceR said:
    VvVvVvVvV said:
    There is nothing wrong with being angry at a company that consistently releases a poor product upgrade. 

What in my post would lead you to think I go around in the real world being angry 24/7 at some waste of time game?

And yes, in good companies, mgmt does respond to customer feedback, so it is possible to change things. Whether or not this is a good company is a different topic. (hint -- they're not....)

Why should you jump on my case for simple expressing an opinion? IF you're happy with the way the game is going, they be all means say so -- but do so without criticising other players simply because they choose to also express their opinion and you might consider refraining from making unfounded assumptions about what other players do in the real world. 
    Where exactly would you like players to put concerns, questions or feedback? That is EXACTLY what the forums are supposed to be. Berating people for posting their perspectives does a disservice to the community as a whole and has helped kill off a good amount of activity in the forums. Players don't want to come here and post anything anymore- why would they? So they can be berated for it?
    "I'll admit- I avoid the forums, it's where motivation goes to die."
    -Unknown Game Developer... or is it?