What would you make illegal cause it annoys you?

Thane_Mantis
Thane_Mantis
Skilled Warrior
Joined Jul 2017 Posts: 483
edited 27 Jan 2018, 3:24AM
Nicking another question from /r/askreddit, cause I think this is an interesting one?
Question: What little thing would you make illegal just because it pisses you off?
Originally asked by: anila001.

So everyone... what would you ban?
Fun bonus question of my own: What would your suggested punishment be for breaking this law?
  • DreamCat
    DreamCat
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Apr 2013 Posts: 2,957
    I already posted my answer in the Reddit comments. ;)
  • Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Nov 2010 Posts: 11,881

Tough one, this. I suppose people talking and using their phones in cinemas is a good one, though to be honest that rarely happens to me.

• Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Skilled Warrior
    edited 27 Jan 2018, 5:42PM
    Me personally, I'd make it illegal for mega-corporations and/or multi-million/billionaire's to make those big donations to political parties so they can have their way, making laws that only benefit them. Money needs to be taken out of **** politics.
  • KrisK
    KrisK
    Master Tactician
    Joined Apr 2012 Posts: 2,440
    I'd ban online dating.  Too many people have been lured to their deaths this way.  The punishment would be a $750 US fine if no deaths or assaults are involved.
  • Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord

@Thane_Mantis said:
    Me personally, I'd make it illegal for mega-corporations and/or multi-million/billionaire's to make those big donations to political parties so they can have their way, making laws that only benefit them. Money needs to be taken out of **** politics.

Interestingly enough, limitless campaign donations are defended in the US as a freedom of political speech issue - I believe the Supreme Court ruled on this. I'd also like that to change though.

• Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Skilled Warrior
    Yard said:

Interestingly enough, limitless campaign donations are defended in the US as a freedom of political speech issue - I believe the Supreme Court ruled on this. I'd also like that to change though.

And look how well that ended. Its taken power out of the people hands and put it in the corporations, and its cost people dearly. Net Nuetrality is gone thanks to corporations and their "donations." There needs to be a line drawn somewhere, unlimited donations is insanity and easily opens the system up for abuse by big corporations with lots of cash.

It easily lets corporations have their way since their the ones with all the money, and the campaigners need/want money to get shit_ done (and in general their just greedy as hell_.) Heck, a former US President, Jimmy Carter once said the US has become an oligarchy, which is pretty accurate really. Here, I actually found where he said that. He said it on an interview in 2015 (watch it here if you want, its just 90 seconds) and they actually reference somewhat what you said as well about the Supreme Court saying about how ∞ donations are all good.
  • Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord

@Thane_Mantis said:
    Yard said:
    Thane_Mantis said:

And look how well that ended. Its taken power out of the people hands and put it in the corporations, and its cost people dearly. Net Nuetrality is gone thanks to corporations and their "donations." There needs to be a line drawn somewhere, unlimited donations is insanity and easily opens the system up for abuse by big corporations with lots of cash.

It easily lets corporations have their way since their the ones with all the money, and the campaigners need/want money to get shit_ done (and in general their just greedy as hell_.) Heck, a former US President, Jimmy Carter once said the US has become an oligarchy, which is pretty accurate really. Here, I actually found where he said that. He said it on an interview in 2015 (watch it here if you want, its just 90 seconds) and they actually reference somewhat what you said as well about the Supreme Court saying about how ∞ donations are all good.

Good find, Thane. Sad, but interesting. It really does seem oligarchical in nature and I don't see that changing in the near future.

• Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Skilled Warrior
    Yard said:

Good find, Thane. Sad, but interesting. It really does seem oligarchical in nature and I don't see that changing in the near future.

Yeah, it really is a shame. People are getting screwed because corporations hold all the high cards and leverage.
  • Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord

Too true. I would say, though, I'm not sure I'd class it as a "little thing" like the question proposes.

• Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Skilled Warrior
    edited 28 Jan 2018, 8:57PM
    Yard said:

Too true. I would say, though, I'm not sure I'd class it as a "little thing" like the question proposes.

Hmm, perhaps. But I could argue that providing donations anywhere is a/the little thing, and its more the consequences or results of donations that are the "big thing."
  • Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord

@Thane_Mantis said:
    Yard said:

Hmm, perhaps. But I could argue that providing donations anywhere is a/the little thing, and its more the consequences or results of donations that are the "big thing."

Temptation to make a "small loan of a million dollars" joke... Rising...

• No..Beard
    No..Beard
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Jun 2010 Posts: 3,778
    I would make it illegal for anyone, anywhere, anytime, on any media, to make any statement that they have not made all reasonable efforts to personally vet to be truthful and accurate, without first uttering the phrase "What I am about to say is unconfirmed and is therefore just my opinion: ...". 

"IMHO" as a prefix for written forms of communications would suffice.

If asked about the veracity of their statements, they are obligated to provide the sources of their facts.

The punishment for failure to follow this rule (i.e being truthful and basing your statements on truthful facts) should be a universal ban from media communications as follows:
    • 1st offense:  silent for a week
    • 2nd offense: silent for a month
    • 3rd offense:  banned forever.

Media outlets not honoring this rule should themselves be banned.

BP ID: 1038         WC ID: 1476        VC ID: 18589     Tome ID: 3698   

• Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord

Quite a strict ruleset there, NB.

• No..Beard
    No..Beard
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Jun 2010 Posts: 3,778
    Yard said:

The present worldview that "You are allowed to say whatever bullshit you like, no matter how harmful, hurtful, or destructive, so long as it advances your personal agenda" is beginning to piss the hell out of me.

Much of this is knowingly bullshit, but even if called on it, the author retreats to 'I saw it on TV', or 'some people are saying..' and skates away with no damage.

It is destroying the cohesion of our society, since people are presented multiple versions of reality, and they are forced to pick one.
    They therefore tend to pick the one they 'like'.

So you get multiple polarized (and polarizing) groups arguing on many issues, each convinced that their version of reality is the correct one.

IMHO, a fact-check rule and a strict rule-set IS needed.

BP ID: 1038         WC ID: 1476        VC ID: 18589     Tome ID: 3698   

• Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Skilled Warrior
    edited 1 Feb 2018, 4:24PM
    No..Beard said:
    Yard said:

The present worldview that "You are allowed to say whatever bullshit you like, no matter how harmful, hurtful, or destructive, so long as it advances your personal agenda" is beginning to piss the hell out of me.

Much of this is knowingly bullshit, but even if called on it, the author retreats to 'I saw it on TV', or 'some people are saying..' and skates away with no damage.

It is destroying the cohesion of our society, since people are presented multiple versions of reality, and they are forced to pick one.
    They therefore tend to pick the one they 'like'.

So you get multiple polarized (and polarizing) groups arguing on many issues, each convinced that their version of reality is the correct one.

IMHO, a fact-check rule and a strict rule-set IS needed.
    You certainly make a fair case for this No.. Beard. It certainly would be alot less detrimental if some rules were imposed that made people do their bloody_ homework before they vomit out whatever suits that agenda, regardless of how well supported it actually is.
    Im curious, what's your opinion on alot of people defending their nonsense by pulling out various arguments such as ""Free speech" or "freedom of expression" since I think that's an argument some have used to defend themselves?
  • MX36
    MX36
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined May 2012 Posts: 2,878
    Fun bonus question of my own: What would your suggested punishment be for breaking this law?
    I would ban those ads that randomly pop-up and fill the entire screen of your phone. and when you try to close them by pressing the hidden [x] in the corner of the screen, the button is sooo tiny you end up pressing on the ad itself anyway. Extra punishment for those ads that start playing videos and you have to press [Back] multiple times until they finally go away.  :s

• Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord

The scummiest of ads have a fake [X] that is actually part of the add itself.

• MX36
    MX36
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined May 2012 Posts: 2,878
    Yard said:

True..and they have gotten so bad that recently, even the scroll bar opens another ad!
  • Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Skilled Warrior
    MX36 said:
    Yard said:

True..and they have gotten so bad that recently, even the scroll bar opens another ad!
    I'd love to see those go as well. Such a nuisance, half the time you can be forced to close down your browser to get out the lock it puts you in.
  • Axel L
    Axel L
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 7,052
    MX36 said:
    I would ban those ads that randomly pop-up and fill the entire screen of your phone. and when you try to close them by pressing the hidden [x] in the corner of the screen, the button is sooo tiny you end up pressing on the ad itself anyway. Extra punishment for those ads that start playing videos and you have to press [Back] multiple times until they finally go away.  :s

I have noticed that these ads are a true annoyance as they do usually only stand there to waste time. It's always better to save these seconds as they will add up to extra minutes of the life that would otherwise be gone forever.
    Video games don't cause violence, lag does.