Genies, unsolved mysteries and conspiracies!

2»
  • Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Nov 2010 Posts: 11,947

I think our generation may be the first that is expected to do dozens if not hundreds of hours of work for either free (volunteering, unpaid internships) or minimal wages (wages for under 18s and under 21s, apprenticeships) just for a chance at the 'privilege' of a stable, full time, salaried job. Just like owning a home is becoming a luxury in first world countries, soon having stable, regular employment will be as well. It's honestly sickening.

Employers cycling through (usually young) employees via internships, apprenticeships, zero hour contracts, etc. is a huge problem in my eyes, and I don't know what can be done about it. It really demotivated you though.

Sorry you had that experience Thane. I'd probably attribute that one to a genuine error in their part since I can't think why they'd expect people to apply for a course after being deceived. Who knows though.

Cheers, I'm pursuing further education now in large part because I genuinely really enjoy it as much as anything, and I felt it'd never be easier to do since I don't have a job or responsibilities elsewhere currently. Hopefully it helps my career prospects, but like most probable graduates, I'll likely never pay off this massive debt completely unless I score an unusually high paying job.

• Thane Mantis
    Thane Mantis
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Jul 2017 Posts: 647
    edited 8 Feb 2018, 2:21AM
    Yard said:

I think our generation may be the first that is expected to do dozens if not hundreds of hours of work for either free (volunteering, unpaid internships) or minimal wages (wages for under 18s and under 21s, apprenticeships) just for a chance at the 'privilege' of a stable, full time, salaried job. Just like owning a home is becoming a luxury in first world countries, soon having stable, regular employment will be as well. It's honestly sickening.

I 100% agree. You're right in that its very demotivating, and it really frustrates the hell out of me. Like, I don't want to necessarily act like Im above it all, but I don't want to spend potentially a considerable amount of my time doing a job for very little money or even for free for a company if there's no chance I get a job out of it at the end. It easily opens up the risk to, lets be real about it, be exploited by some companies so they can save some cash, which is absolute bullsh_t.

Companies can rake in billions upon billions upon bloody_ billions each year, yet they can't be buggered to pay people fairly? Or at all? Are they joking? Unless Im doing some work for a charity, I cannot comprehend why I should be doing work for free for any company. That should not be how the job market works and that sh_t shouldn't fly. As far as Im concerned, its exploitation, and the government should step in.
    Yard said:

Employers cycling through (usually young) employees via internships, apprenticeships, zero hour contracts, etc. is a huge problem in my eyes, and I don't know what can be done about it. It really demotivated you though.

Personally I think the solution should/could be very simple. A few government regulations, with some fines attached to them for the employers that ignore them. Hit them where it hurts. The wallet.
    Yard said:

Sorry you had that experience Thane. I'd probably attribute that one to a genuine error in their part since I can't think why they'd expect people to apply for a course after being deceived. Who knows though.

Ah, don't worry about it man. If Im honest, it was like 10 minutes of my life wasted, which is nothing. I was ticked off about it, since I did kinda have hopes for those jobs for several reasons (they were supposedly close to my area for example meaning travel, which is a problem I have since I don't have a car would be something I shouldn't have to worry about) but the applications were easy and took less than 5 minutes, and the call and reading the email they sent were like 5 minutes total, so it was't a huge loss.

Compared to other people getting screwed over in the job market, my issue was a minor one. An annoyance, but minor. I do kinda wish I'd enquired as to why they had placed those courses in that area though when I was on the phone. If it was an error like you say, then maybe they could correct it since I believe others had also applied. But whatever, that's past now and there's probably little I can do about it. Can't callback since I never saved the details and Im pretty sure when I realised it was a deceptive ad for courses that would cost me money I deleted the email since I don't need that sh_t in my inbox.
    Yard said:

Cheers, I'm pursuing further education now in large part because I genuinely really enjoy it as much as anything, and I felt it'd never be easier to do since I don't have a job or responsibilities elsewhere currently. Hopefully it helps my career prospects, but like most probable graduates, I'll likely never pay off this massive debt completely unless I score an unusually high paying job.

Hmm, sorry to be so cynical, but that's also assuming a job can be found. As we've discussed, the job market seems to be currently be doing its best to make getting a job a near impossibility.
2»