3D Printing Ships

edle.sieben
edle.sieben
Potential Threat
Joined May 2016 Posts: 36
Not sure if this is a legal topic, but would anyone be interested in 3D printed ships from the game? I have the stuff for it and have made a few pretty decent prints already and figured other players might be interested too. Pictures are of my first prints, but I can do up to 8" and much higher quality 

Apologies for the absolutely terrible camera.
  • Christopher Bennett
    Christopher Bennett
    Potential Threat
    Joined Aug 2015 Posts: 68

Nice!

• OnionD
    OnionD
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Oct 2017 Posts: 326

Watch kixeye remove this

• Chaos Slayer
    Chaos Slayer
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Oct 2017 Posts: 100
     ̶I̶f̶ ̶I̶ ̶k̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶I̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶p̶u̶t̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶o̶w̶n̶ ̶v̶e̶r̶s̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶h̶u̶l̶l̶s̶ ̶h̶e̶r̶e̶.̶.̶.̶ ̶n̶v̶m̶ ̶:̶P̶

Very nice little ships! They'll look even better if you have any way to color those, especially Dominion since it's my favorite ship.
    My fleet is growing!
  • RyantheRed
    RyantheRed
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Oct 2013 Posts: 494

What kinda printer do you have? I have a U-print se plus and I can get them printed at pretty high quality

• edle.sieben
    edle.sieben
    Potential Threat
    @RyantheRed Not sure what printer I've got but I can print down to .06mm. The Dominion was printed at .15 I think and the Punishers were .25. not sure about the Vigilantes but they seem to be between the two. I used a new software for those at which point I did the "Fast" setting and did the supports manually. 
    The printing surface and monitor say IIIP on them. Might be Monoprice. Got it refurbished for Christmas.
  • RyantheRed
    RyantheRed
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Oct 2013 Posts: 494

@edle.sieben said:
    @RyantheRed Not sure what printer I've got but I can print down to .06mm. The Dominion was printed at .15 I think and the Punishers were .25. not sure about the Vigilantes but they seem to be between the two. I used a new software for those at which point I did the "Fast" setting and did the supports manually. 
    The printing surface and monitor say IIIP on them. Might be Monoprice. Got it refurbished for Christmas.

Wow, 0.06mm is very impressive! I know some guys at coke who can print things down to the micron. The material looks more like glass than plastic. Printed costed them over a million dollars

• edle.sieben
    edle.sieben
    Potential Threat
    @RyantheRed Wayl, as much as I'd like that resolution, I'll do as best I can with the .06mm. I'm currently away from the printer with business, but here soon I want to print the largest Javelin I can, possibly in two pieces. ~16 inches if I can manage. Probably print at around .09 to have a high resolution but still have the surface texture to paint afterward and to just generally feel better than smooth plastic.
  • Glowlight
    Glowlight
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Mar 2016 Posts: 292
    edited 12 Jan 2018, 6:48PM
    Could you also make some of the alien ships as well and that old VEGA cargo ship that is no longer in game, that was cool too

• Glowlight
    Glowlight
    Minor Nuisance
    You also know what you could do... Remember the old battleship board game with boats and all that... imagine that but with vega conflict ships in replace of the boats and a background of space instead of water. some of the battleship game sets could have aliens on one side and xeno/axis on another side, rebels and vega on another set, and ISC vs DC on another set. Kixeye you could profit from these ideas...
  • edle.sieben
    edle.sieben
    Potential Threat
    I have the Harvester model and Reaper/Ancient Reaper models in their "open" form making them kinda weird but I still have them. I also have found very basic models of that cargo ship, presumably what was the map icon for it, similar to how the Javelin has a low-poly model in sector. As for board games, yeah I've considered stuff like that. I was thinking along the lines of a Chess set or recreating Halo: Fleet Battles
  • HarpoonoZenith
    HarpoonoZenith
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 371
    pls share Files, i want to print Down here.
    Ill work on Alien Harvester.
    Image result for **** Kixeye
  • gary.87
    gary.87
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Feb 2013 Posts: 247
    a friend of mine has one and makes all kinds of stuff and its awesome and makes me want to go out and get one.

how big can u make a ship?

• Hahn Match
    Hahn Match
    Greenhorn
    Joined Nov 2015 Posts: 18
    Very interesting, I also did the same but in papercraft
    By the way, if you need any in particular, I'll share them with you, I have all the ships

One of my favorites, the javelin

https://imgur.com/JNQ6Wg4
  • PhantomRanger
    PhantomRanger
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Dec 2015 Posts: 255
    My wallet is open for these kind of stuff but not for $100 69 Mk.420 Whatever Battleship
  • Lowlander
    Lowlander
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jul 2011 Posts: 104
    very cool , 3d printing is coming a long way fast !

• Glowlight
    Glowlight
    Minor Nuisance
    Oh could I have the files for the ships so I can 3D print them, i have one of those fancy liquid 3D printers and I think it would look nice to print them out through that
  • Infinity EIC
    Infinity EIC
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined May 2017 Posts: 128

@edle.sieben said:
    Not sure if this is a legal topic, but would anyone be interested in 3D printed ships from the game? I have the stuff for it and have made a few pretty decent prints already and figured other players might be interested too. Pictures are of my first prints, but I can do up to 8" and much higher quality 

Apologies for the absolutely terrible camera.

I am %100 interested and am ready to start talking prices in exchange for 1 quick demand, just to hope your quality is increased and was wondering if you where going to add color. It is not neccesary if you are adding alot of detail to the ship but would improve the authenticity dramaticaly! Add me as a friend if you wish to talk more about this topic. Also not that its also a big issue but size wise, how big can or small can you make them, or can you make them any size and just adjust the price? Because you got something amazing going hear!

• Infinity EIC
    Infinity EIC
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined May 2017 Posts: 128

@OnionD said:

@Todd7123 said:
    Those are really cool

I’m going to assume you are not going to be “selling” them on this site. Right.

Only kixeye can sell ships. They should honestly do this, sell ship figures with LEDs and stuff.

They can get alot more money out of people who quit coining but still like there merchandise! Heck, I love this game again!

• Br0k3nL1m1ts
    Br0k3nL1m1ts
    Greenhorn
    Joined Oct 2016 Posts: 22
    Wow, these are straight up amazing. So detailed too, I'd give my left arm to have a full fleet of ships. Would LOVE to see a Hellfire alongside the Vigilante :smile:
  • edle.sieben
    edle.sieben
    Potential Threat
    Alright, I wasn't expecting this thread to explode again and forgot to check the forums for a day, so here's responses again:

@HarpoonoZenith @Glowlight I don't believe I'm allowed to post game assets to the forums, but I have uploaded them to my personal drive, contact me and we'll talk about distribution.

@Infinity EIC Yes, I added you and we will negotiate.

Anyone else, if you have questions or similar related to this topic, I'm happy to help, but the forums are a somewhat sketchy place for me to talk details, so add me on the profile level, and if we get along, we'll talk on a more personal level.
  • xRegis
    xRegis
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Dec 2015 Posts: 294
    edited 16 Jan 2018, 10:41AM
    I look forward to seeding the final products. I actually would have loved to work on 3D printed models for these ships, but never really had the time for such a project.

However, with that being said. Everyone loves artwork of any type.
    https://puu.sh/xQkNE/b6799143c0.png
This discussion has been closed.