Starting not so much from scratch

bort
bort
Unicorn Overlord
Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 8,176
edited 11 Dec 2017, 10:47PM

Thought I’d just have a quick look at how hard it is to get anywhere with an old account, so I picked up one of my old alts. I must have quit playing it before the foundry ships came out, as it didn’t have many of those prints.

My starting point was on the weekend, which was half way through the FM. And also the week before the raid.

What did I have built?

4 DNXs partially built –

·        siege s, and some basic specials like engine 3 and siege battery 1,ra3 and some d1x.

·        Negotiator morts and basic specials, eng 3, siege battery 2, HES3,

·        Hails, a couple phal 2 and a negotiator mort – no cm special

·        A hail and a negotiator mort and a couple specials like engine 3

A spec fleet. Haven’t actually checked whats on it yet – but it was good enough to win a tigershark back in the day.

A shockwave L strike cruiser fleet

A cutlass seawolf fleet.

What’s the priority?

Get up to speed with the FM. With a week out from the raid no real point in building something specific.

How do I get up to speed on the FM?

My DNX fleet is good enough to auto 40s, although takes more than instant repair on map damage.

I can also snipe out the first block in the 115s with my strike cruiser or seawolf fleets.

This means that just by grinding I can grab a million+ points or so fairly comfortably.

This allows me to pick up the tier 4? D85D? mortar for 200k, as well as the mono, and some mono tokens, as well as the cheaper stuff like zelos, and a few tier 3 items, such as speed system 5, siege battery 3, phal 4 etc.

What to build?

I put a blank zelos in the oven as quickly as possible, so I can have something on it for the next FM after the raid.

I’ll then use the mono tokens to build out a mostly blank mono, but hopefully with a few weapons. Picking up the tokens next FM will be easier, and I’ll use them to fit it out further (or the zelos tank) So in my second week of the FM I should be able to get another bunch of lower level stuff, and at worst by the 3rd week I should be able to pick up the sprint from the top tier .. unless I get it in the next FM which should be a possibility.

I'll pick up the punisher tokens and cit tokens, but won't waste shipyard time on them, and will build them purely with tokens.

What about the raid?

I'll have a look at it, and see if my specs can do anything. They might not be able to. I'll then have to look towards the next raid series to work out any short term priorities to leapfrog up some of my ships.

• bort
    bort
    Unicorn Overlord
    my specs turned out able to auto the 45s for around 45 to 55 minutes of repairs. i ended up grinding out 3.5 million.

i'll pick up the subaquatic special for my FM zelos that i'm building. I think i'll also grab the ironclad and either mauser or hvr. If i were playing properly i'd grab cannoneer, but i'm only going to largely auto with this account, so that wouldnt work.

at least if i get the ironclad i might be able to build something that can grind lower level raid targets inthe first raid or two, and then work my way up once my fm fleet is under control.
  • Spitfir3
    Spitfir3
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined May 2016 Posts: 508
    edited 20 Dec 2017, 11:51AM
    just as a small hint: Lone Icebreaker does 61 on auto for 5k without countermeasures instarep on map. Not sure if you need charged armour, but you definitely need turret def and resistance (is M/X alloy still available in FM?). Basically for a lowlevel thats the best way to grind good equipment - 240 kills of 61 and you got the sprint.
  • bort
    bort
    Unicorn Overlord
    good tip. seems there's many ways to get started in the FM. all of which are pretty simple. maybe i should have gone that way. my zelos is substantially built and a part done mono will be out this weekend, but its slow going until they are done.

at least i'll get a chunk of rank on my zelos this weekend which is good for the longer term.
  • bort
    bort
    Unicorn Overlord
    edited 27 Dec 2017, 11:57AM
    I was going to try to get the sprint, but with christmas eve, christmas day, and boxing day, I really didnt get to play, so i settled for just the various mono/ib/zelos tokens and 2 day chest, and a couple other bits and pieces.

I almost fully ranked my zelos on vxp, and also did a chunk of rank on my mono. One more refit on the mono with this week's tokens will give me a bit more firepower in 3 or 4 more mortars, plus siege targeting 3. I can do 103s, although i'll probably still do some 115 sniping with other fleets to get the points a bit faster.

I was thinking i might make a ballistic pun, and see if it can do the bottom level raid targets. I'm only going to use tokens on it, so not wasting any real shipyard time.

Still wonder if i should have done the IBs first, but at least i'll get one part built with this week's fm. I've currently got my second zelos building, although that is currently blank. Once i get sprint i should be able to do 115s very soon. There are literally many options for the new/returning player to get up to speed on the FM very quickly.
  • bort
    bort
    Unicorn Overlord
    okay, so now with a few sprint on my zelos, i'm able to zero damage 103s. and if i get the top chest this week, my 2nd zelos should be built out enough to do 115s once I have ranked it. I'm only using a single mono for damage, and will add to that with tokens. Pics below. My second zelos will have sfb3 and a blade for a little extra range too.

so basically, under three weeks and i'm up to speed on the FM with an old account that started with nothing better than a few DNX with at best one equipped with negotiator morts.

also to dispel another myth, since i'm not in an alliance i've been attacked all of one time. so it has hardly cost me tons of build / upgrade time.

the main challenge though is the lack of U given i dont have the tools to easily get it apart from now through the FM. Even objectives are tough as objective one starts at 100k U. Also I still need to do shipyard upgrades, as i'm sacrificing weapons on ships as they easily go overweight. I'd wait for tokens for that though.

maybe i'll start an ironclad or two now and see how far i can get with that. although i'm a little busy on my main right now, although being a bit lazy as usual.

• bort
    bort
    Unicorn Overlord
    edited 1 Jan 2018, 4:34AM
    Now with my unranked extra zelos, I can do 115s, although seem to be getting some damage from time to time - mainly from the carriers, but occasionally when 3 arcs are firing at me too.

i've just got 2/2/2 hail c/sprint/phal 4 on my extra zelos, so i'm adding another couple hail a's as i haven't redeemed hail d yet, and just want something to tide me over whilst i build my first ironclad shell which i'll start later today.

i must admit i had thought it was going to be more difficult than it was to catch up on the fm based on all the whining that was going on.

the main fm pain point is now DPS. one mono with very little retrofits, and not quite all specials takes a long time to take out the turrets. I'm going to supplement that with my new IB which just came out today. Its not fully equipped (only 3 weapons, no siege targeting) as i'm almost purely building with tokens, but should cut down the time for the 115s.
  • bort
    bort
    Unicorn Overlord
    Made one of my biggest early mistakes, although it wont be too costly. I started my OP upgrade to level 8 which is a 17 day upgrade about 11 days ago, although my dock is only level 11. I thought i had plenty of spare tonnage when i started so figured it would be okay.

But after refitting my IB with extra rockets, its now too heavy, so I can't use it with my 2 zelos and mono. Oh well. It will be upgraded for the next FM, and i still have over 1 million FM points currently so should still easily  get tokens - it will just take a little more seat time.

I also completed the first round of skyfire elite, which gives the skyfire hull. My first ironclad is also nearly complete, so I am still seeing some pretty good progress. As long as your expectation is not to immediately be doing the top tier of everything, its pretty easy to see yourself growing quite quickly.
  • bort
    bort
    Unicorn Overlord
    Just as a general commentary for new players, I posted this on another thread. You can now skip through a ton of content, so there's no point building/researching many crappy lower level hulls.

Just to further expand on that the path for a new player (if they want to go up quick rather than just fudge around) is:
    • punisher
    • zelos
    • mono / ib
    and then trying to pick up whatever they can from any TLCs that in particular need garrison type hulls.
  • bort
    bort
    Unicorn Overlord
    TLCs

Skyfire elite i comfortably completed the first 3 prize packs. Pack 4 i dont think i can complete within the time limit as i only have one mono for DPS. i might try with my one IB instead of the mono, but not sure it will be able to do it quick enough either. I can at least get part built skyfire out for next vxp weekend.

Iron maiden - is still not possible for me as i dont have the fleets required.
  • bort
    bort
    Unicorn Overlord
    zoe's gamble

i have 2 unranked ironclads and a punisher that i built out with mausers. so enough to grind out some 41s ... but since they're unranked it takes a while, so i leave them on auto and the pun sinks. i can if i want to drive add my zelos cm ship to the fleet and then you take almost zero damage to your ironclads.

that said, i'm not going to play it much. just picked up hvr but probably wont go for too much else besides tokens.
  • bort
    bort
    Unicorn Overlord
    Changed my approach a little with my ironclads so that they can do a lot more 41s.

I ensure they are charged before i put them back on auto. If i want to save even more damage i get my pun to help out on the first cluster of turrets.

i've ground out enough for HVR, and H.Ironclad. So in theory i should have a pretty easy run next raid to get one of the top prizes.
  • travis.j.altman
    travis.j.altman
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jan 2017 Posts: 121
    bort said:

Thought I’d just have a quick look at how hard it is to get anywhere with an old account, so I picked up one of my old alts. I must have quit playing it before the foundry ships came out, as it didn’t have many of those prints.

My starting point was on the weekend, which was half way through the FM. And also the week before the raid.

What did I have built?

4 DNXs partially built –

·        siege s, and some basic specials like engine 3 and siege battery 1,ra3 and some d1x.

A spec fleet. Haven’t actually checked whats on it yet – but it was good enough to win a tigershark back in the day.

A cutlass seawolf fleet.

What’s the priority?

Get up to speed with the FM. With a week out from the raid no real point in building something specific.

My DNX fleet is good enough to auto 40s, although takes more than instant repair on map damage.

I can also snipe out the first block in the 115s with my strike cruiser or seawolf fleets.

This means that just by grinding I can grab a million+ points or so fairly comfortably.

This allows me to pick up the tier 4? D85D? mortar for 200k, as well as the mono, and some mono tokens, as well as the cheaper stuff like zelos, and a few tier 3 items, such as speed system 5, siege battery 3, phal 4 etc.

What to build?

I put a blank zelos in the oven as quickly as possible, so I can have something on it for the next FM after the raid.

I’ll then use the mono tokens to build out a mostly blank mono, but hopefully with a few weapons. Picking up the tokens next FM will be easier, and I’ll use them to fit it out further (or the zelos tank) So in my second week of the FM I should be able to get another bunch of lower level stuff, and at worst by the 3rd week I should be able to pick up the sprint from the top tier .. unless I get it in the next FM which should be a possibility.

I'll pick up the punisher tokens and cit tokens, but won't waste shipyard time on them, and will build them purely with tokens.

What about the raid?

I'll have a look at it, and see if my specs can do anything. They might not be able to. I'll then have to look towards the next raid series to work out any short term priorities to leapfrog up some of my ships.

I have started back in Oct of 2016 after being gone the same time as you. All the new buildings and what not. Last time I played was when we could mine certain resources on map over time. Now I am just getting T7 ships and gear. I have 4 buc shells built this raid one of which fully fitted before raid if that answers what your are asking. Basically a year and 3 months then your almost golden. I figure by last siege raid I will be a top player building early with saved tokens.Happy Hunting!
    -Captain BigButt-
  • bort
    bort
    Unicorn Overlord
    edited 17 Jan 2018, 7:26AM
    bort said:

What did I have built?

4 DNXs partially built –

A cutlass seawolf fleet.

What’s the priority?

What to build?

What about the raid?

I have started back in Oct of 2016 after being gone the same time as you. All the new buildings and what not. Last time I played was when we could mine certain resources on map over time. Now I am just getting T7 ships and gear. I have 4 buc shells built this raid one of which fully fitted before raid if that answers what your are asking. Basically a year and 3 months then your almost golden. I figure by last siege raid I will be a top player building early with saved tokens.Happy Hunting!
    you're probably now in the top 10% of players at a guess.

My main challenge currently is the lack of uranium to upgrade my OP and dock. And i'm still a bit stumped on how to address this, given other priorities. that being said, i wasnt doing the dailies, as i didnt have the specific fleet type. Seems though that doesnt matter too much, so i should have been doing them.

pretty sure my ironclads will be able to win hydra/bucc next raid, so should be making some good raid progress even in this raid series.