hold on people, just a little longer

savo666
savo666
Minor Nuisance
Joined Aug 2013 Posts: 229

text copied from news forum

The video lays out the basics of what Lee has in mind, which includes prohibiting the sale of videogames containing "gambling mechanisms" to anyone under the age of 21. That restriction would cover any situation in which players are purchasing a "percentage chance" to get an in-game item, rather than the item itself, and would apply not just to games sold at retail but also those available via digital distribution channels like Steam and GOG—a relevant point because ESRB ratings are not mandatory for digital storefronts.

Lee also expresses concern about game publishers who adjust the odds of various items dropping in loot boxes in order to take advantage of people who really want them. He acknowledges that his information is third-hand and unverified (and I've only ever heard of the opposite happening, in the form of "pity timers" that increase the odds of a good drop the longer a person goes without one), but nonetheless does a pretty good job of making it sound like an all-but-established fact.
Once the algorithm identifies a player who's likely to keep spending money to buy that one 'unicorn thing' that they're after ... then they lower the odds and then you keep spending more," he says in the video. "It's absolutely unethical and unfair."

As a result, he's also seeking an "accountability piece" of legislation to ensure that behind-the-scenes drop-rate shenanigans doesn't happen, which would presumably require publishers to reveal loot box drop rates odds—something similar to the step taken late last year by China.

• Jeff Gao 2
    Jeff Gao 2
    Potential Threat
    Joined Nov 2017 Posts: 45

Source?

• VinayJ
    VinayJ
    Potential Threat
    Joined Oct 2017 Posts: 28

Source?

This is source I guess. I did text highlight Google search. This popped up : 
    http://www.pcgamer.com/us-lawmaker-who-called-out-star-wars-battlefront-2-lays-out-plans-for-anti-loot-box-law/ 
  • blackronin
    blackronin
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jul 2015 Posts: 101
    China is also working on a social code system that could shut down the Chinese branch of the game if Chris statement about following the same path as the original is true. 
  • Paul Welch
    Paul Welch
    Potential Threat
    Joined Nov 2017 Posts: 66

Dont hold your breath if you think the current American government is going to write any laws restricting business profits. Republican lawmakers just passed a bill to drastically cut the taxes of almost all businesses and will pay for it with an increase in taxes to many Americans and huge cuts to social programs like Medicare and Social Security.

• dom.friant
    dom.friant
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Sep 2014 Posts: 1,460
    I'm assuming this was posted here as inferring Kixeye is at fault for doing this as well, but I actually don't see Kixeye has having done this. I know of a few things they sell outright:

- coins
    - blank hulls
    - crafting deals

With these items you get exactly what the package states.

And on the last one, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I've ever seen a crafting package that delivered crafting boxes with a random drop chance (purchasing a "percentage chance" as mentioned), i.e. the loot boxes being talked about. The deals I've seen always state exactly how many of each pattern, parts, cores and armaments the deal contains.

The only thing you could argue is their possibly creating an environment where players might spend coins to repair their fleets in efforts to acquire crafting boxes that have a random drop chance, but that is not the same thing. And now with axis it's no longer random.

Kixeye might do many things the players don't like, but I don't see this as being one of them.
    Because I like the Condor!
    http://i.imgur.com/80deZPv.png
  • Todd7123
    Todd7123
    VC Mod
    Joined Sep 2013 Posts: 4,942

This is all speculation at this point

Closing

I am a VC Forum Mod.

I don't work for KIXEYE. I'm a player just like you.

My  duties are to offer advice and keep the Forums Neat and Tidy.

Ask me and I will help if I can or point you in the right direction to one of the links below.

Helpful Links:  Site Rules / Report a Player / ToS / Ticket Status 
    Have a problem? KIXEYE Customer Service
    SEE YOU IN THE VOID REBELS!!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.