sell bym and bym:u.

JiggIypuff
JiggIypuff
Greenhorn
Joined Mar 2017 Posts: 8

ive been craving a good session of backyard monsters.

everything bym has been removed: the desktop wonder and it's surprising successor. at this point, even if the company wants nothing to do with it, its very painful to see it die as nothing but a memory.

prolong its short, painful existance by selling it. i have a proposal: sell it to DECA GAMES.

there is a small company whose goal is to extend the life of old games by a decade. they're working on a game called realm of the mad ****, formerly owned by wildshadow studios, then kabam, and then DECA GAMES. this company has, since then, taken the game away from its horrific owner, kabam.

im proud to say one of my favorite games has been saved. its the worst feeling in the world to see a game die, especially one as glorious as bym.

since then, the flash game, coded in xml has had the best updates in content and quality of life its ever seen. its player base is the biggest and its making the most money and profit its ever had.

the company is also working on a few side, mobile games, as little projects. take it from me, they're interested in this game and, to me, i see them as bym's future.

if anyone in kixeye is slightly interested, give their website a visit.

http://decagames.com/

• JiggIypuff
    JiggIypuff
    Greenhorn

ack, the name of the game is censored but its commonly refered to as rotmg, give it a quick google and visit its reddit page to see just how well its thriving.

https://www.reddit.com/r/rotmg

• Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Jul 2017 Posts: 325
    Try adding an underscore _ to words that may be censored. That'll sort the problem.
  • Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Nov 2010 Posts: 11,801

I've got to say, that sounds like an interesting premise.

• Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Skilled Warrior
    edited 10 Nov 2017, 10:50PM
    Yard said:

I've got to say, that sounds like an interesting premise.

I agree. Whilst I somewhat doubt KIXEYE might go ahead with the idea and let what was arguably once their most famous IP go (unless offered enoug money since I doubt BYM is generating any revenues otherwise), and I would be rather cautious about the concept of another developer taking over, it would be interesting to see it happen.

I just hope any potential new developer knows how to handle BYM with care and not turn it cash grab akin to what KIXEYE have done with their other works. I'd hate to see it get passed on to someone new only for it to be run into the ground.
    Sidenote: This concept of another developer taking over reminds me of when KIXEYE used to say they put might TOME in the hands of another studio. I wonder how TOME would have done in such a situation... Thoughts?
  • Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord

I think TOME was a hard sell. The world didn't really need or want another MOBA when that market is dominated by a few big players. Had it been passed on, though, it's hard to say how it would have fared. I know little of its success within Kixeye, really, but given it wasn't around that long that's probably something of an indication.

• Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Skilled Warrior
    Yard said:

I think TOME was a hard sell. The world didn't really need or want another MOBA when that market is dominated by a few big players. Had it been passed on, though, it's hard to say how it would have fared. I know little of its success within Kixeye, really, but given it wasn't around that long that's probably something of an indication.

Hmm, maybe they should have tried selling it to one of the big players. Maybe they could have salvaged something from it.
  • JiggIypuff
    JiggIypuff
    Greenhorn
    trust me; DECA is the company to completely revolutionize a game. if anyone can save backyard monsters, it's them.
  • Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Skilled Warrior
    edited 15 Nov 2017, 10:47PM
    I have to admit, reading through their article on how they picked up Realm of the Mad God_ and resurrected it, I do think these guys sound like they get it, you know. Whilst I don't think BYM is in any inherent need of "saving" per se, since its not like the game was necessarily damned (at least in my opinion, since I think it was in fairly good condition when it died) I would genuinely be interested in seeing if DECA could pick it up and make it work again. If what they say is true about how they salvaged ROTMG and doubled its daily average users, I would put faith in them that they could do BYM justice.

I actually kinda hope KIXEYE will see this thread and consider this. Considering how BYM is almost certainly making them no money now, even if the last thing they care about is profit (which it almost certainly is,) I say selling the game could, if nothing else, be a good way to make a last few quid of it. And maybe, we the fans, would get to see this great game come back.

Yard, you were a BYM veteran. Thoughts?
  • Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord

Honestly, the main thing BYM needs is a bug cull. Whilst a lot of people disliked Map Room 3, the bugs it caused were probably why so many ended up quitting. Seems simple to do.

As for whether they'd sell it, I don't see why they should be opposed to doing so. Sure, it's part of their "legacy" in a way, but it's got no active following anymore, and the creator, David Scott, was distanced from the project a long time ago when he went to work in WC. If it still mattered to their brand image it'd still be represented on their website. If anything, having this dead game attached to your company is probably harmful at this stage, may as well sell it on in my outsider opinion.

• Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Skilled Warrior
    Yard said:

Honestly, the main thing BYM needs is a bug cull. Whilst a lot of people disliked Map Room 3, the bugs it caused were probably why so many ended up quitting. Seems simple to do.

I agree. If hypothetically the game got sold, and the new developers were to ask what the community wanted, I would recommend they start by doing some general clean-up to fix KIXEYE's mistakes. Squash the bugs, eradicate any potential cheaters, etc you know. Like I've always said, I think the game in general died in decent enough condition, save for some bugs. So if someone new took over, I think you'd be hard pressed to go wrong with just fixing and tuning some stuff, especially before adding new content.
    Yard said:

As for whether they'd sell it, I don't see why they should be opposed to doing so. Sure, it's part of their "legacy" in a way, but it's got no active following anymore, and the creator, David Scott, was distanced from the project a long time ago when he went to work in WC. If it still mattered to their brand image it'd still be represented on their website. If anything, having this dead game attached to your company is probably harmful at this stage, may as well sell it on in my outsider opinion.

Again, I agree. The community around the game nowadays is miniscule at best. I once remember downloading Facebook gameroom, and it had this world chat feature where you talk to anyone and everyone still playing. There were seemingly a few people still there the one time I checked in. Another time though, there didn't seem to be anyone.

You're right about representation as well, it has none. Save for a single reference in David Scotts bio on the KIXEYE Corp. Site, there's no allusions this game ever existed at all as far as looking around KIXEYE.com is concerned. The forums were wiped out almost completely save for some hidden links scattered about the place, visible only if you know where and how to look, nothing shows in the drop down menu, there's nothing.

That to me screams this game possesses no importance to KIXEYE as a whole at all, so you're right in that they may as well let it go on to another developer. For what little community the game has, there could be some more fun for us to be had. Maybe it'd get back to where it used to be at the height of its success, and possibly go further. Either way Yard, I think you're on the mark about it being potentially harmful to keep this game with them, and it may as well be sold on. (Maybe they should give DECA Tome as well, since KIXEYE once discussed letting another developer have at TOME. Maybe that community could get some more fun out of their game as well.)
  • Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord

I'm really not sure here, since I didn't play it, but was TOME far along the developmental stage? I know it functioned, but if it had a long way to go to be "finished" that may put buyers off. If not, I agree, they may as well sell that, too. Perhaps the short term cash could help fund another project.

• Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Skilled Warrior
    Yard said:

I'm really not sure here, since I didn't play it, but was TOME far along the developmental stage? I know it functioned, but if it had a long way to go to be "finished" that may put buyers off. If not, I agree, they may as well sell that, too. Perhaps the short term cash could help fund another project.

Hmm, I remember TOME being available initially to play by signing up for early access, but I don't recall having to do that myself so it may have been in open beta when I tried it out. It was definitely functional, and I don't recall any bugs.
    Hmm, maybe I could inquire about this, perhaps ask WrongThinker, a War Commander dev. He used to be an old TOME developer, so he'd know for sure.
  • JiggIypuff
    JiggIypuff
    Greenhorn
    to me, it looks like theres really no opposition to handing the game over to DECA. the only issues I see is how limited of a team DECA is and if they can juggle two big projects at once.
  • Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Skilled Warrior
    edited 20 Nov 2017, 2:57AM
    to me, it looks like theres really no opposition to handing the game over to DECA.
    No opposition from 2 old time players of BYM. That doesn't sound like much that would suddenly prompt the transferring of an old IP to a new company. You'd need to try and convince the people in charge to let the game go. And the powers at KIXEYE seldom make appearances on the forums, let alone down here. So... yeah. Sad as it is, BYM may not be going anywhere anytime soon, unless you get their attention.
    the only issues I see is how limited of a team DECA is and if they can juggle two big projects at once.
    Assuming they have the cash they could always hire new people. That or they could always start out fresh with a small team and scale up if the situation both allows and demands it. BYM if I recall correctly started out with just David Scott and 2 others, and it eventually grew up to 150 people according to the games 2 Year Anniversary Video on KIXEYE's YouTube channel.

And considering the games history and how small its current community is, (if Facebook stats are right, its just a mere 10K players) its not like the game, if development re-assumes, will suddenly spring back up and have millions playing it again, and result in needing a large team and lots of resources to manage things. Odds are it'll be a gradual climb back up, so that will give DECA, if they were to take the reins, enough time to scale the games development team and the resources dedicated to it accordingly.

That, or DECA could scale down the project to make it better fit the size of their team. KIXEYE updated the game just about every 2 weeks, but DECA could choose to slow down content releases, making it possible for a smaller team to manage better. This could also prevent an issue infamous with KIXEYE games which is players getting fed up of endless content, causing players to get burned out.
    So yeah. You may not have to worry so much about them handling the game with just a small team.
  • Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord

Like I said prior, it mainly just needs bug fixing to start off. I wouldn't imagine a massive team would be needed for that.

As for player base, some of the hardcore players might return (I know my old alliance would, for example), but Thane's right, it'd be a slow climb back up.

• Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Skilled Warrior
    edited 20 Nov 2017, 3:37PM
    Yard said:

Like I said prior, it mainly just needs bug fixing to start off. I wouldn't imagine a massive team would be needed for that.

As for player base, some of the hardcore players might return (I know my old alliance would, for example), but Thane's right, it'd be a slow climb back up.

I know I'd definitely return. I remember MX expressed interest in BYM awhile ago after we had a chat about it, so he might pick it  back up as well. How many people were/are in your alliance Yard? Just curious.
  • Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord

@Thane_Mantis said:
    Yard said:

I know I'd definitely return. I remember MX expressed interest in BYM awhile ago after we had a chat about it, so he might pick it  back up as well. How many people were/are in your alliance Yard? Just curious.

Hard to say now. Probably about 30-40 or or so in its prime, bit that's a complete guess

• JiggIypuff
    JiggIypuff
    Greenhorn
    i don't think many would be opposed to moving a game whose company doesn't fare for it to someone who does, but you're right. any suggestions on how to contact kixeye? i'll be contacting DECA aswell about this.

i also don't think that there should be any doubt about what they can accomplish. they brought out amazing, game changing updates to RotMG on spaghetti XML code.
  • Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Skilled Warrior
    i don't think many would be opposed to moving a game whose company doesn't fare for it to someone who does, but you're right. any suggestions on how to contact kixeye? i'll be contacting DECA aswell about this.
    Aside from CS, no, not a clue. I'll grab my shovel and go digging for a ways to contact them.
    i also don't think that there should be any doubt about what they can accomplish. they brought out amazing, game changing updates to RotMG on spaghetti XML code.
    I don't think there's doubts per se about what DECA can do, just a concern about how many players may be left.
  • JiggIypuff
    JiggIypuff
    Greenhorn
    realm had a whole player-base when DECA took over, while bym doesn't really have anything left. i'm sure that even if a large influx of players did come back, DECA would be able to handle and satisfy them.

DECA came up with weekly updates that really helped realm, and they also expected large influxes of players and in turn delivered some pretty big updates to the servers.
  • Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Skilled Warrior
    edited 23 Nov 2017, 3:03AM
    realm had a whole player-base when DECA took over, while bym doesn't really have anything left. i'm sure that even if a large influx of players did come back, DECA would be able to handle and satisfy them.

DECA came up with weekly updates that really helped realm, and they also expected large influxes of players and in turn delivered some pretty big updates to the servers.
    Can I ask JigglyPuff, why the sudden flip from being concerned about DECA being able to handle two big projects to saying "Yeah! DECA can totally do this! It'll be easy." Just curious about why you suddenly and seemingly completely changed your mind about DECA's capabilities?
  • Blazing_Darkness
    Blazing_Darkness
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Nov 2010 Posts: 8,149
    In reply to the comments about Tome.

Tome filled a niche that other MOBAs at the time didn't. It was fast paced and didn't need to be installed as you played it in a web browser. This made it perfect for playing a match during a 15-30min break at work or school and I know several people who did just that. However, the technology that enabled it to be played in a web browser was discontinued and scheduled to be removed therefore the ability to play from any device through a web browser was soon going to disappear.

The game was made in unity so when the web player support was discontinued and stated to be removed the target platform was simply switched from web to windows and then placed on steam for download and install. The fact that you now had to download the game prevented a number of people I knew from playing it at work/school, removed the niche it covered, and having it placed on steam put it in direct competition with DotA2. This was ultimately a death sentence.

Later on we saw the rise of a several mobile MOBAs that has had a lot of success and somewhat fills a similar niche to what I felt Tome did. The ability to play a quick paced MOBA game anywhere during a short break. So there was a market for it for the core idea. Maybe the wrong platform in picking browser instead of mobile, or just really unfortunate that critical 3rd party technology was discontinued on two separate occasions.

Tome was a good idea and there was little competition for the niche it filled at the time. However, if you were to start developing it again now you would have to convert everything to run in webgl if you wanted to bring it back to the web browser or alternatively set unity to target android/ios to make it mobile then revamp the UI accordingly. A more concerning problem is that there's now competition in the form of the several mobile MOBAs that fills a similar niche.
    TOME Name: Blaze    Favourite Guardians: Osric (Pusher), Malbus (Tank), Talia (Slayer), Erebus (Tactician)
    The Battle Pirate Glossary - Forum Rules - Support form
  • Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord

Informative post Blazing, thanks for that. Shame about the discontinuing of the browser software. Sounds like Kixeye could have been one of the market leaders otherwise, having got there first, like they were with BYM.