POWER PLANTS: How Important to Protect In Defense (Or Destroy When Attacking)?

TomBrooklyn
TomBrooklyn
Master Tactician
Joined Oct 2012 Posts: 2,200
edited 11 May 2018, 8:41PM
How much difference does it make to a base defense if their power plants are partially or fully destroyed?

How important is it therefore, to locate one's Power Plants in a more protected portion of one's base?

• Alan006
    Alan006
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Nov 2013 Posts: 735
    If the power plants are weakened or destroyed your offensive weapons cannot fire at their full capacity leaving you more open to an attack. Most players put as many as possible near the center of their base to help protect them. Look around on some of your friends bases to get a general idea...
  • BradyBunch
    BradyBunch
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Oct 2013 Posts: 653
    Ya. What he said.
    Today is the first day of the rest of your life. Make it count!
  • Axel L
    Axel L
    WC Mod
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 10,462
    The Power Plants is actually in some regard very important to protect as the Power Supply directly affects the RoF for defensive structures. If you have no Power Supply in your base, the base will operate at 25% power which means it will take 4 times longer between each time a turret fires a shot.

My main strategy when it comes to locating Power Plants in my base is to have them somewhat open but still close to the defensive perimeter but still as far away from each other as possible so an attack from 1 side won't be able to cut down the power supply of the base.
    Video games don't cause violence, lag does.
  • Vegeta9192001
    Vegeta9192001
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Nov 2013 Posts: 742
    don't put them all next to each others, they are still very fragile and will be destroyed fast by splash only
  • TomBrooklyn
    TomBrooklyn
    Master Tactician
    Alan006 said:   If the power plants are weakened or destroyed your offensive weapons cannot fire at their full capacity
    Is the weapons reduction in Damage or Rate of Fire?

Axel L said: ...the Power Supply directly affects the RoF for defensive structures. ...no Power Supply..., the base will operate at 25% power which means it will take 4 times longer between each time a turret fires a shot.

- I haven't noticed this reduction in RoF, either in my own base in defense, or in bases I'm attacking, either Player or Rogue.   I'll pay closer attention to that going forward.

- In almost all "how to attack a base" videos I've seen on youtube, I see the attacker usually ignore and bypass hitting Power Plants until the end of battle.    They don't seem to consider it a priority target.

• Alan006
    Alan006
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Nov 2013 Posts: 735
    Tom, I noticed you are a level 43, and I am curious on why you are not aware of some of these things already. Usually most of these questions a much lower level is already aware of. I am not trying to be a smart a$$ by asking this. Axel explained it fairly well, and sometimes you may not notice the difference by attacking a base/rogue. But it is (supposed to be at least) there. Try an experiment by going into a rogue base and let the offensive weapons hit one of your units before you take out the power plants. Then, take the out the power plants and see if the fire rate is any different.
  • kixeyeuser_150897889_9106_2342921
    kixeyeuser_150897889_9106_2342921
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Oct 2014 Posts: 665
    It reduces rate of fire.  I have never understood why people don't use this form of resource denial more when attacking bases.
  • Axel L
    Axel L
    WC Mod
    Alan006 said:   If the power plants are weakened or destroyed your offensive weapons cannot fire at their full capacity

Axel L said: ...the Power Supply directly affects the RoF for defensive structures. ...no Power Supply..., the base will operate at 25% power which means it will take 4 times longer between each time a turret fires a shot.

- I haven't noticed this reduction in RoF, either in my own base in defense, or in bases I'm attacking, either Player or Rogue.   I'll pay closer attention to that going forward.

- In almost all "how to attack a base" videos I've seen on youtube, I see the attacker usually ignore and bypass hitting Power Plants until the end of battle.    They don't seem to consider it a priority target.

This could either because Growler drones have been a commonly used defensive strategy. The difference in RoF is only truly noticeable when the base operates at less than 50% power, but this is very rare in bases when there is always few extra high level power plants laying around somewhere.
  • kixeyeuser_150897889_9106_2342921
    kixeyeuser_150897889_9106_2342921
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Oct 2014 Posts: 665
    Axel L said:

This could either because Growler drones have been a commonly used defensive strategy. The difference in RoF is only truly noticeable when the base operates at less than 50% power, but this is very rare in bases when there is always few extra high level power plants laying around somewhere.
    Growler drones are good to clear mines and distract defenders, true.  I do think it is worthwhile to pick away at power plants.  Even a slight decrease in RoF can mean the difference between success and failure.  

Personally, I like to use heroic zombifiers on them when I can, since they release a relatively large swarm of zombies.  At certain points in combat, they can either save your unts taking a couple hits or even take out a couple targets while you go after something else.
  • Axel L
    Axel L
    WC Mod
    Axel L said:

Growler drones are good to clear mines and distract defenders, true.  I do think it is worthwhile to pick away at power plants.  Even a slight decrease in RoF can mean the difference between success and failure.  

Personally, I like to use heroic zombifiers on them when I can, since they release a relatively large swarm of zombies.  At certain points in combat, they can either save your unts taking a couple hits or even take out a couple targets while you go after something else.
    The importance of the power plants are actually heavily dependent on which turrets you encounter as it benefits you more to take them out when you encounter high damage turrets as they can be considered as a general threat.
  • TomBrooklyn
    TomBrooklyn
    Master Tactician
    Alan006 said:  Tom, I noticed you are a level 43, and I am curious on why you are not aware of some of these things already.
    I was aware that destroying Power Plants are supposed to reduce effectiveness of turrets, although I thought it was supposed to reduce the effectiveness of each shot, not the rate of fire.   

It is especially because I have played this game a long time, and that in all that time I have not noticed a difference before or after Power Plants are destroyed,  that I am seeking the impression of others.

Alan006 said: ...it is (supposed to be at least) there. 
    It sounds like it is not clear to you also that the effect really takes place.