Base defense improvements

leonard.short
leonard.short
Greenhorn
Joined May 2014 Posts: 2
I've been playing for nearly 7 years. It seems that the focus of the developers has been on new ships and ships weapons. So much so that it isn't possible to design a base capable of putting up a meaningful defense with any chance of survival. My base has a large footprint. My shipyard and other structures were hit by a ship more than 12 squares away and out of the effective ranges of the defense turrets. I would like to see an improvement in base capabilities.
  • EyeSpy
    EyeSpy
    Potential Threat
    Joined Sep 2013 Posts: 30
    Me to. I have 5 turrets with no guns on them because I don't want to waste the base parts on them just so they can chuck stuff in the air and have zero effect. 
  • Lunatic19
    Lunatic19
    Greenhorn
    Joined Jun 2015 Posts: 14
    Not true at all if you have OP 10,  if you design it right you will be very successful as I have been. 
    OG
  • ian.isherwood.73
    ian.isherwood.73
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Mar 2014 Posts: 505

I can defend my base all the tools are there :-)

• Cathedral_Rock
    Cathedral_Rock
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Feb 2013 Posts: 7,986
    edited 14 Nov 2017, 8:51PM
    improvement in base capabilities?
    you mean like....better walls, more turrets, better turrets, more spacing, more land, channel defenses - stuff like that?

yeah, me too....
    "Every time there is a change in the game it seems the general reply is a complaint about the changes before they ever happen.  However every time the game changes we use strategy and adapt to the changes and we get used to them. .....without these changes, the game would become boring." -captaindirty 10/31/2017
  • John Seymour
    John Seymour
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Sep 2011 Posts: 542
    I love trying to improve my base and put a hurtin' on other pirate fleets...it's so much fun...and there is so much available in the game so you can do that...just gotta keep building and refitting and upgrading...I'm on a tight budget but I still manage...just a lot of hard work
    The existence of the sea means the existence of pirates

Improvise, adapt, and overcome

Learn from your mistake

Accept nothing challenge everything

• ogrish
    ogrish
    Potential Threat
    Joined Mar 2016 Posts: 34
    I've been working on base improvements, but its very hard to buy turrets at the limited times they are available.  They are so rarely offered, its hard to pick them up.  I've been buying the epic ones lately even though I don't have the original frostbite, cataclysm, etc that I really want for the whole base!  Please consider offering more turrets in raids.  I HATE that I have to do the bounty event to get a lot of the new turrets. 
  • TRUCULENT2
    TRUCULENT2
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Mar 2014 Posts: 1,467
    EyeSpy said:
    Me to. I have 5 turrets with no guns on them because I don't want to waste the base parts on them just so they can chuck stuff in the air and have zero effect. 
    If you aren't even trying to defend your base, you have no one but yourself to blame for its demise.

Every base can be cracked, thats nothing new. But there is a big difference between being an indefensible farm and decent base that requires some semblance of base hitting understanding. 

To the OP, oh yea itd be great to get more powerful weapons and more land and more turrets and...  - just like the base hitters want the "one-click I win" fleets back. Yes, there is little to defend against a properly built conqueror fleet with a knowledgeable captain, but in my experience not everyone out there fits that description. There are plenty of tools already within the game that can significantly help defend your base.
    How many complaints does it take ?
    My dad used to say; Ask a girl if she will sleep with you for 1 million dollars. If she says yes, ask if she will sleep with your for $1. She will most likely be insulted, but you've established that this girl has a price and now its just a matter of negotiating.  
    We've established that nothing Kix says or does is set in stone, there is no trust and no respect - now its just a matter of negotiating.  
  • chunnder
    chunnder
    Greenhorn
    Joined Nov 2017 Posts: 19
    To be fair base defence has never been so good as it is now. You need op 10 though 
  • u -mad
    u -mad
    Potential Threat
    Joined Aug 2011 Posts: 27
    I've been playing for nearly 7 years. It seems that the focus of the developers has been on new ships and ships weapons. So much so that it isn't possible to design a base capable of putting up a meaningful defense with any chance of survival. My base has a large footprint. My shipyard and other structures were hit by a ship more than 12 squares away and out of the effective ranges of the defense turrets. I would like to see an improvement in base capabilities.
    your join date is 2014 that is not 7 years
  • TRUCULENT2
    TRUCULENT2
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Mar 2014 Posts: 1,467
    u -mad said:
    your join date is 2014 that is not 7 years
    To be fair, the join date refers to their joining of forums and that doesn't always correlate to when they began playing the game. Even if she has played for 7 years, the fact that she is only a level 87 makes me think there were multiple breaks during that time. (If you started 7 years ago, and took a year or 3 off, you have not been playing for 7 years - "started" and "playing" are not the same thing).

There is a pattern if you check her profile, every 3 years she complains about not having enough defenses. 
    How many complaints does it take ?
    My dad used to say; Ask a girl if she will sleep with you for 1 million dollars. If she says yes, ask if she will sleep with your for $1. She will most likely be insulted, but you've established that this girl has a price and now its just a matter of negotiating.  
    We've established that nothing Kix says or does is set in stone, there is no trust and no respect - now its just a matter of negotiating.  
  • beel78
    beel78
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Apr 2012 Posts: 8,052
    Base defense is  the strongest it has been in a long time.  that includes the king.  While this is only true for the upper tiers.  People need to realize.  if they give an item (a hull or turret or something) that lets smaller players defending against Bigger players...Then it will be that much more powerful for the upper tier of players.  The flaw is in the entire PvP base XP system.  Restrictions need to be based off of equipment tiers (defense and offense).  If you spent the large majority of your "BP life" ignoring base defense, then do not expect it to magically be on par with even the moderate base hitters.  It is a work in progress.  In fact base defense possibly has the highest fluidity in the game.  Once you get to a certain point, generally it just takes a few tweaks, or a refit.  More recently it may require a bigger refit or the building of a new hull.  Changing layouts is fairly rare once you get to "that point", but it does happen.
      i do not agree with the current system but giving everyone a "magic" toy that shuts down top tiered basers would make it even more unbalanced.
    'Soon' in KIXEYE time means once our Sun dies'. 
     Wil Harbin said:

Kixeye hasn’t done as much to annoy its users as other game companies have. It doesn’t sell decorations for games and try to milk gamers for all they’re worth, and it doesn’t sell advanced weaponry that will allow rich gamers to wipe out poor gamers. But it does allow users to accelerate time in the game. Rather than wait for something to be developed, a user can pay to accelerate the build time for units.

• TheHolsh
    TheHolsh
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Apr 2012 Posts: 3,830
    You only need 1 ship and you will stop everything right now :lol:
    Image result for git gud gif  Come hit me :P     203556,494
  • beel78
    beel78
    Unicorn Overlord
    ogrish said:
    I've been working on base improvements, but its very hard to buy turrets at the limited times they are available.  They are so rarely offered, its hard to pick them up.  I've been buying the epic ones lately even though I don't have the original frostbite, cataclysm, etc that I really want for the whole base!  Please consider offering more turrets in raids.  I HATE that I have to do the bounty event to get a lot of the new turrets. 
    honestly, The epic versions of the ones you mentioned are far superior. While the frost bite still has uses, the cannibal wendigo is better because it aims at the target instead of a large scattershot pattern.  Well...better may be the wrong word.  It is just as good for a different reason.  As to the cat....they do absolutely nothing to modern base hitters.  The Epic cat is the only way to go.  Not just because of the damage but Time on target is MUCH shorter for the Epic Cat.  That being said, A lot of turrets do need to be put in a TLC...  Infact they should create a TLC JUST for semi up to date turrets. Hyena, Phel launcher, Emancipator and yes the Axiom.  In my opinion, these would not over balance the game.  it would give those willing to at least try to improve their defense a means to do so.  Either that or enhance older turrets.  Most of them are useless, not just due to lack of damage but the range is crap.  Especially for an OP10 base.  maybe with the last Prize Pack having the new Epic Variations (one of each).  That being said....if that ever happened in a reasonable amount of time, expect the final stage to be.....difficult.
     Wil Harbin said:

Kixeye hasn’t done as much to annoy its users as other game companies have. It doesn’t sell decorations for games and try to milk gamers for all they’re worth, and it doesn’t sell advanced weaponry that will allow rich gamers to wipe out poor gamers. But it does allow users to accelerate time in the game. Rather than wait for something to be developed, a user can pay to accelerate the build time for units.

• TheHolsh
    TheHolsh
    Unicorn Overlord
    edited 14 Nov 2017, 7:43PM
    beel78 said:
    ogrish said:
    honestly, The epic versions of the ones you mentioned are far superior. While the frost bite still has uses, the cannibal wendigo is better because it aims at the target instead of a large scattershot pattern.  Well...better may be the wrong word.  It is just as good for a different reason.  As to the cat....they do absolutely nothing to modern base hitters.  The Epic cat is the only way to go.  Not just because of the damage but Time on target is MUCH shorter for the Epic Cat.  That being said, A lot of turrets do need to be put in a TLC...  Infact they should create a TLC JUST for semi up to date turrets. Hyena, Phel launcher, Emancipator and yes the Axiom.  In my opinion, these would not over balance the game.  it would give those willing to at least try to improve their defense a means to do so.  Either that or enhance older turrets.  Most of them are useless, not just due to lack of damage but the range is crap.  Especially for an OP10 base.  maybe with the last Prize Pack having the new Epic Variations (one of each).  That being said....if that ever happened in a reasonable amount of time, expect the final stage to be.....difficult.
    But but but....  I just put 6 cats in my base in the past day.....  :p :D ;) :* :):naughty: >:) >:) >:) >:) >:) >:) >:) >:) >:) >:) >:) >:) 
  • blackhawk4040
    blackhawk4040
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Feb 2013 Posts: 1,300
    TheHolsh said:
    Can we have a clue :D
  • DogStar123
    DogStar123
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 927
    TheHolsh said:
    You are a real man of mystery.
  • TheHolsh
    TheHolsh
    Unicorn Overlord
    edited 14 Nov 2017, 7:57PM
    The hint is, it will literally stop them in their tracks. Another hint : 
  • blasterdan
    blasterdan
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Dec 2011 Posts: 127
    Maybe a king's Writ to stop the King's Writ?  :D
  • Fred.Falkland
    Fred.Falkland
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Apr 2013 Posts: 2,830
    Maybe a king's Writ to stop the King's Writ?  :D
    Phantom glut and King's Writ seem relevant to me at the moment.
  • beel78
    beel78
    Unicorn Overlord
    TheHolsh said:
    **** man.  How old are you?  It's a damned Glut.  Not sure why that is so difficult to be a member of the community instead of "na na na na na, I know something you don't know!".
     Wil Harbin said:

• TheHolsh
    TheHolsh
    Unicorn Overlord
    beel78 said:
    TheHolsh said:
    **** man.  How old are you?  It's a damned Glut.  Not sure why that is so difficult to be a member of the community instead of "na na na na na, I know something you don't know!".
    Well, that kinda is the point of pvp :lol:   People need to work for that :tongue:  As for pve, i will gladly share anything and everything with everyone. 
  • beel78
    beel78
    Unicorn Overlord
    TheHolsh said:
    beel78 said:
    TheHolsh said:
    Well, that kinda is the point of pvp :lol:   People need to work for that :tongue:  As for pve, i will gladly share anything and everything with everyone. 
    then don't tell them.  but the hinting of something you know and they do not makes it seem like you are a kid with a secret and to be honest, a bit disturbing if you are more than 10 years old.
     Wil Harbin said:

• mark711craps
    mark711craps
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Nov 2012 Posts: 338
    Base defense is off the charts.  It's never been so good. Some of you really need to learn the game if you think base defense lacks..  LOL

• Jimbo073
    Jimbo073
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Jul 2014 Posts: 489

I will say a pride can kill the ship I bet they are referring too. No corrosive defense what so ever

• TheHolsh
    TheHolsh
    Unicorn Overlord
    Jimbo073 said:

I will say a pride can kill the ship I bet they are referring too. No corrosive defense what so ever

Good luck shooting through walls as your pride melts to the corrosive DoT, along with the pride not being able to see it either.
  • Milo-Ant
    Milo-Ant
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Oct 2017 Posts: 239
    Personally, since I don't do BOUNTY, I don't have kings writ and so cannot get in any half decent OP10 base.

I have always worked hard at base defence and at the moment bases are stronger than they have ever been, design it right and not many will get in
  • Roman Lisyansky
    Roman Lisyansky
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jan 2011 Posts: 108
    edited 14 Nov 2017, 9:15PM
    Jimbo073 said:

Look again, its 110K of corrosive deflection.
    1) Right now no ship or ship weapon can do more then minimum damage to KW regardless of KWs build with exception of 4 or 5 torpedo Gluts that will kill it (they gain insane concussive boosts when together) 
    2) The only things that can kill them other then 4 torpedo Gluts are Epic Mortars.
    3) Phantom Glut's submerged aura has a glitch at the moment, it stops KWs from moving and turns them 180deg. your epic mortars can kill them only if you build them right, and by right I mean have right specials and tactical fields boosting their damage.
    4) Having a Phantom Glut in your base in the right position can ensure survival of your OP at minimum  (until they fix that glitch)

• Milo-Ant
    Milo-Ant
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Oct 2017 Posts: 239
    TheHolsh said:
    Can we have a clue :D
    it was released in the raid
  • beel78
    beel78
    Unicorn Overlord
    Jimbo073 said:

no ship in the game does anything more than scratch the KW.  You have to rely on turrets and the way to do that is basically have emanc or Epic cats with LOTS of fire support 2 modules (among other modules) OR an omega and axiom after the supporting BUS/Sloth fleet has been killed. Killing the BUS/SLOTH fleet is critical.  kixeye has turned base defense upside down.  At one time in the game it was the guards that made the base (layout was 2nd and turrets were 3rd).  NOW it is turrets firtst and possibly layout 2nd.  The next way that base defense has been whammied is that the old goal was to take out the tank first.  Now the goal is to take out the support fleet (in the top tiered base hitters).  The Gluts with the Sin are a whole different can of worms.
     Wil Harbin said:

• Joshua Philp
    Joshua Philp
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Aug 2011 Posts: 496
    It is even more unbalanced for the little guys who are just starting out.

Almost every 40-something has a fleet of Punishers.
    Almost every 40-something has only researchable Turret weapons.

This discussion has been closed.