Preview Testing and why it should be limited

xx Roo xx
xx Roo xx
Minor Nuisance
Joined Nov 2014 Posts: 235
I wrote this missive back in May but it is still pertinant today. 

https://forsakencove.blogspot.com/2017/05/all-code-is-guilty-until-proven-innocent.html

People need to understand that Kix simply cannot just open a preview server and allow everyone and their dog into it to test the revised FM targets. 
When time is of the essence (and it IS with this short window), Kix needs to gather feedback and information quickly from people that understand the importance of testing and what they actually should be testing. Having hundreds of players that don't understand what the testing involves, or are unwilling, or unable to think of stuff from all player levels does not help anyone. Participants have to be able to think outside of the box and be able to verify that a change over here does not affect something over there.

Testing is not just about taking in your fleet and seeing if it works, or tweaking your fleet until it works perfectly. It is about verifying functionality in a timely manner and understanding the changes and how they will affect ALL players of ALL levels. If there are issues you need to be able to articulate WHY something is an issue. "Its too much (^#@!$^!! damage" is not enough. A participant has to have the abilty to explain why the damage is too high, or why some specific mechanic is not working.  This is not an easy task.  

I am not privy as to what criteria Kix uses for selecting testing participants but having been involved in user testing on multiple different applications in the past I can tell you it is not an easy process to decide who out of 50k users would be best to represent the community.....It is about selecting people that understand game mechanics and how to test properly.  These are not skills that everyone has. 

The last FM targets were released with no testing and no feedback from players.   This time they are allowing select players to preview the targets and provide feedback.  It is not as good as test targets on the current game map and you may not know (or even like) the people involved in testing, but it is better than nothing. 


Roo
  • D3x.t3r
    D3x.t3r
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Feb 2013 Posts: 147

    Just wondering, based on what they will pick these players ?

    There should be one-- and preferably only one --obvious way to do it.
  • sinista
    sinista
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined Sep 2011 Posts: 1,501

    @xx Roo xx said:
    I wrote this missive back in May but it is still pertinant today. 

    https://forsakencove.blogspot.com/2017/05/all-code-is-guilty-until-proven-innocent.html

    People need to understand that Kix simply cannot just open a preview server and allow everyone and their dog into it to test the revised FM targets. 
    When time is of the essence (and it IS with this short window), Kix needs to gather feedback and information quickly from people that understand the importance of testing and what they actually should be testing. Having hundreds of players that don't understand what the testing involves, or are unwilling, or unable to think of stuff from all player levels does not help anyone. Participants have to be able to think outside of the box and be able to verify that a change over here does not affect something over there.

    Testing is not just about taking in your fleet and seeing if it works, or tweaking your fleet until it works perfectly. It is about verifying functionality in a timely manner and understanding the changes and how they will affect ALL players of ALL levels. If there are issues you need to be able to articulate WHY something is an issue. "Its too much (^#@!$^!! damage" is not enough. A participant has to have the abilty to explain why the damage is too high, or why some specific mechanic is not working.  This is not an easy task.  

    I am not privy as to what criteria Kix uses for selecting testing participants but having been involved in user testing on multiple different applications in the past I can tell you it is not an easy process to decide who out of 50k users would be best to represent the community.....It is about selecting people that understand game mechanics and how to test properly.  These are not skills that everyone has. 

    The last FM targets were released with no testing and no feedback from players.   This time they are allowing select players to preview the targets and provide feedback.  It is not as good as test targets on the current game map and you may not know (or even like) the people involved in testing, but it is better than nothing. 

    Roo

    How do you know they didnt test the last one?

    When it comes to Kixeye, hope for the best but expect the worse.
  • Milo-Ant
    Milo-Ant
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Oct 2017 Posts: 239
    sinista said:

    @xx Roo xx said:
    I wrote this missive back in May but it is still pertinant today. 

    https://forsakencove.blogspot.com/2017/05/all-code-is-guilty-until-proven-innocent.html

    People need to understand that Kix simply cannot just open a preview server and allow everyone and their dog into it to test the revised FM targets. 
    When time is of the essence (and it IS with this short window), Kix needs to gather feedback and information quickly from people that understand the importance of testing and what they actually should be testing. Having hundreds of players that don't understand what the testing involves, or are unwilling, or unable to think of stuff from all player levels does not help anyone. Participants have to be able to think outside of the box and be able to verify that a change over here does not affect something over there.

    Testing is not just about taking in your fleet and seeing if it works, or tweaking your fleet until it works perfectly. It is about verifying functionality in a timely manner and understanding the changes and how they will affect ALL players of ALL levels. If there are issues you need to be able to articulate WHY something is an issue. "Its too much (^#@!$^!! damage" is not enough. A participant has to have the abilty to explain why the damage is too high, or why some specific mechanic is not working.  This is not an easy task.  

    I am not privy as to what criteria Kix uses for selecting testing participants but having been involved in user testing on multiple different applications in the past I can tell you it is not an easy process to decide who out of 50k users would be best to represent the community.....It is about selecting people that understand game mechanics and how to test properly.  These are not skills that everyone has. 

    The last FM targets were released with no testing and no feedback from players.   This time they are allowing select players to preview the targets and provide feedback.  It is not as good as test targets on the current game map and you may not know (or even like) the people involved in testing, but it is better than nothing. 

    Roo

    How do you know they didnt test the last one?


    because they said so is one reason

  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 707
    D3x.t3r said:

    Just wondering, based on what they will pick these players ?

    If I was kixeye, I would pick EVERYONE who has made an article, blog or video that has helped someone in the past.
    Lou Seal wrote: »
    So, I see that square base, roll up and flatten it. Suddenly there's sector police everywhere, the noob is crying on coms and everyone's looking at me like I'm the bad guy? Shoulda built a better base.

    I'm also not allowed back in that neighborhood.
    afroninja wrote: »
    I didn't think Man Tim could say anything more stupid, then what he normally post.. Today you have proved me wrong. Congrats. :D
    Rufi0 wrote: »
    "**** be loco"
  • Joe_B222
    Joe_B222
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Feb 2016 Posts: 387
    Wolfpack said:
    D3x.t3r said:

    Just wondering, based on what they will pick these players ?

    If I was kixeye, I would pick EVERYONE who has made an article, blog or video that has helped someone in the past.
    There are many ppl who have been in test servers who have done exactly what Kix asked them to do..   test the product and give them feedback about..   there are countless people day in and day out who help people in whatever sector they are in...

    they just do not have a FB page, or make videos for whatever reason..


    We all know " who " gets into the preveiws   Most do not like the chosen segment for one reason or another.  

    but at least they are testing now.

  • Thomas Higgs
    Thomas Higgs
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Jun 2010 Posts: 497
    xx Roo xx said:
    I wrote this missive back in May but it is still pertinant today. 

    https://forsakencove.blogspot.com/2017/05/all-code-is-guilty-until-proven-innocent.html

    People need to understand that Kix simply cannot just open a preview server and allow everyone and their dog into it to test the revised FM targets. 
    When time is of the essence (and it IS with this short window), Kix needs to gather feedback and information quickly from people that understand the importance of testing and what they actually should be testing. Having hundreds of players that don't understand what the testing involves, or are unwilling, or unable to think of stuff from all player levels does not help anyone. Participants have to be able to think outside of the box and be able to verify that a change over here does not affect something over there.

    Testing is not just about taking in your fleet and seeing if it works, or tweaking your fleet until it works perfectly. It is about verifying functionality in a timely manner and understanding the changes and how they will affect ALL players of ALL levels. If there are issues you need to be able to articulate WHY something is an issue. "Its too much (^#@!$^!! damage" is not enough. A participant has to have the abilty to explain why the damage is too high, or why some specific mechanic is not working.  This is not an easy task.  

    I am not privy as to what criteria Kix uses for selecting testing participants but having been involved in user testing on multiple different applications in the past I can tell you it is not an easy process to decide who out of 50k users would be best to represent the community.....It is about selecting people that understand game mechanics and how to test properly.  These are not skills that everyone has. 

    The last FM targets were released with no testing and no feedback from players.   This time they are allowing select players to preview the targets and provide feedback.  It is not as good as test targets on the current game map and you may not know (or even like) the people involved in testing, but it is better than nothing. 


    Roo

    I completely agree with everything you said. Hoping all goes well today. I am glad to see that kix is taking a more serious approach to feedback now.

  • sinista
    sinista
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined Sep 2011 Posts: 1,501

    @Milo-Ant said:
    sinista said:

    @xx Roo xx said:

    I wrote this missive back in May but it is still pertinant today. 

    https://forsakencove.blogspot.com/2017/05/all-code-is-guilty-until-proven-innocent.html
    
    People need to understand that Kix simply cannot just open a preview server and allow everyone and their dog into it to test the revised FM targets.  
    

    When time is of the essence (and it IS with this short window), Kix needs to gather feedback and information quickly from people that understand the importance of testing and what they actually should be testing. Having hundreds of players that don't understand what the testing involves, or are unwilling, or unable to think of stuff from all player levels does not help anyone. Participants have to be able to think outside of the box and be able to verify that a change over here does not affect something over there.

    Testing is not just about taking in your fleet and seeing if it works, or tweaking your fleet until it works perfectly. It is about verifying functionality in a timely manner and understanding the changes and how they will affect ALL players of ALL levels. If there are issues you need to be able to articulate WHY something is an issue. "Its too much (^#@!$^!! damage" is not enough. A participant has to have the abilty to explain why the damage is too high, or why some specific mechanic is not working.  This is not an easy task.  
    
    I am not privy as to what criteria Kix uses for selecting testing participants but having been involved in user testing on multiple different applications in the past I can tell you it is not an easy process to decide who out of 50k users would be best to represent the community.....It is about selecting people that understand game mechanics and how to test properly.  These are not skills that everyone has. 
    
    The last FM targets were released with no testing and no feedback from players.   This time they are allowing select players to preview the targets and provide feedback.  It is not as good as test targets on the current game map and you may not know (or even like) the people involved in testing, but it is better than nothing. 
    

    Roo

    How do you know they didnt test the last one?

    because they said so is one reason

    Can you link that please.

    When it comes to Kixeye, hope for the best but expect the worse.
  • Bob of BOB22
    Bob of BOB22
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Apr 2013 Posts: 141

    I've been playing BP for over 6 years and have never been asked to test, you would think someone with my experience would get asked but I guess since I'm not a fan boy or yes man i won't get asked.

  • sinista
    sinista
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined Sep 2011 Posts: 1,501

    @Bob of BOB22 said:
    I've been playing BP for over 6 years and have never been asked to test, you would think someone with my experience would get asked but I guess since I'm not a fan boy or yes man i won't get asked.

    They pick big spenders. Spend $4000 to $10000 a month and you'll be on their list.

    When it comes to Kixeye, hope for the best but expect the worse.
  • Professor Yana
    Professor Yana
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined Aug 2012 Posts: 1,655

    I've been playing BP for over 6 years and have never been asked to test, you would think someone with my experience would get asked but I guess since I'm not a fan boy or yes man i won't get asked.

    There was a time when they did open (albeit space-limited) previews; they were essentially "first come, first served".

    I managed to get myself into a few of those over the years; did you?
     image
  • U-sit-2p
    U-sit-2p
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Aug 2014 Posts: 1,061
    seems obvious to me they need a new "select" group of players,cuz the road this game has gone down is very bumpy and has a dead end around the next few corners
  • Bob of BOB22
    Bob of BOB22
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Apr 2013 Posts: 141

    @Professor Yana said:
    Bob of BOB22 said:

    I've been playing BP for over 6 years and have never been asked to test, you would think someone with my experience would get asked but I guess since I'm not a fan boy or yes man i won't get asked.

    There was a time when they did open (albeit space-limited) previews; they were essentially "first come, first served".

    I managed to get myself into a few of those over the years; did you?

    No I never was able to do a preview because they offer it while I'm at work. Kixeye does not look at time zones only spending zones.

  • xx Roo xx
    xx Roo xx
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Nov 2014 Posts: 235

    I've been playing BP for over 6 years and have never been asked to test, you would think someone with my experience would get asked but I guess since I'm not a fan boy or yes man i won't get asked.

    There was a time when they did open (albeit space-limited) previews; they were essentially "first come, first served".

    I managed to get myself into a few of those over the years; did you?
    The open previews were a double edged sword.  I managed to get on a few and some of them were nuts (which is what prompted the above article in the first place). People were doing everything but what they were supposed to be doing. There was miles of chatter in comms that was not related to testing and a few goobers that were doing silly things like sniping fleets of the people that were trying to test.   

    The other issue is a target is released in the preview for testing and even though it is clearly stated it is a preview and the targets are not final, people would go ballistic when the final released versions did not match what they saw in the test region. 

    I would like to see the open previews for major releases come back. 
Sign In or Register to comment.