Best weapon for Portal?

Shapu_the_farm
Shapu_the_farm
Master Tactician
Joined Sep 2015 Posts: 2,032
Right now I have Hyenas on my portal at the entrance to my base canal  Is there a better weapon choice for portals?  I'm planning on upgrading (you know, over the course of a goldarned MONTH) to get the special slot and tossing on a range booster for missiles, but if there's a better weapon choice I might point myself elsewhere.

Advice?
  • Ruube1
    Ruube1
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 1,380
    Just ask yourself this question:"What ships are hitting my base the most, and what is their weakness"? Then you will know the answer to your original question, ok? So yes, if you are getting hit by ships that are weak against missile damage, Hyena is good.
  • p_b82
    p_b82
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Sep 2011 Posts: 566
    It also depends on the location of your portals as to whether you want to risk using a high damage/high range weapon knowing that when they get close it will stop working....

I don't think there is a "perfect" choice, but you can fit 2x T6 weapons on a portal at level 1, you may not be able to do the same once upgraded due to the extra power consumption if you want to add a suitable special; and/or if you have added the Rampart
  • Shadows-13
    Shadows-13
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Aug 2016 Posts: 866
    It depends on where it is and if there is a portal behind or in front of it. No weapon is the best weapon as it comes down to your base and what you are being hit by. as a general rule though try to keep the first portal with shorter range turrets with around 105 range and a second 1 with longer range that can support your first portal. 
    Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.
    -Sun Tzu