Lossy Compression in Newly Uploaded Avatars?

Weresquirrel
Weresquirrel
Unicorn Overlord
Joined Sep 2011 Posts: 9,977
Tried to make an avatar improvement today and ended up with a worse avatar than before.  Wondering whether Kixeye's new site has been set to implement lossy compression on all newly uploaded avatars.

For starters, here's what the change was attempting to do.  Modified the old avatar into an animated gif.  Once every 12 seconds the avatar winks at you.  It's meant to catch the corner of your eye while you're reading a post.  Here's the full 328 x 314 pixel version.  Also created a smaller one appropriate for avatar size.

The question at first was whether an animated gif would really display properly as an avatar.  Ran into a more serious problem instead:

Regardless of whether I do the resizing or whether Kixeye's site resizes the image (animated or still), the newly uploaded avatar comes out at very low quality.  Barely recognizable--and hardly the pirate wench she's meant to be.

Since lovely wenches are absolutely vital to the forum and gaming experience, has anyone else noticed a similar problem?  Any advice on solutions or workarounds?
  • Weresquirrel
    Weresquirrel
    Unicorn Overlord
    edited 12 Jul 2013, 5:30AM
    Someone had requested a blinking version of his avatar--after giving him his request it became the inspiration for the winking wench.  Uploaded her to test whether the forums would support that as an avatar.  Animated gifs can work in threaded discussion and in signatures, so it was reasonable to try.  Not a big deal whether it works or not; can always return to the usual version, or so I thought.

Trouble is, I can't get back to the image quality of the original still image avatar.  I suspect Kixeye might have altered the compression on recent avatar uploads.  It shouldn't be difficult to return to a version that used to work fine.
  • MagicSarap
    MagicSarap
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Sep 2012 Posts: 5,522
    I wasn't aware of any forum adjustments that would possibly play a role in this. Though gifs usually don't tend to work too well in avatar form. Not sure if there is a work around, but I'll see what I can find.
  • Orcus13
    Orcus13
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jun 2012 Posts: 299
    If it's the tiny picture in the upper left on a post it's likely that no one would see a wink anyway so don't bother; if it's 8 inches of crap at the bottom of a post then who knows
    Know of a good strategy game? PM me - looking for one...
  • Weresquirrel
    Weresquirrel
    Unicorn Overlord
    edited 12 Jul 2013, 2:24PM
    Orcus_BAP said:
    If it's the tiny picture in the upper left on a post it's likely that no one would see a wink anyway so don't bother; if it's 8 inches of crap at the bottom of a post then who knows
    Could also arrange for a gazebo that grows fearsome blood-soaked fangs and snaps its jaws at you...
  • Weresquirrel
    Weresquirrel
    Unicorn Overlord
    Couldn't resist...it's the alliance mascot.
  • Q Rich
    Q Rich
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined May 2010 Posts: 37,470
    Lise said:
    Tried to make an avatar improvement today and ended up with a worse avatar than before.  Wondering whether Kixeye's new site has been set to implement lossy compression on all newly uploaded avatars.

For starters, here's what the change was attempting to do.  Modified the old avatar into an animated gif.  Once every 12 seconds the avatar winks at you.  It's meant to catch the corner of your eye while you're reading a post.  Here's the full 328 x 314 pixel version.  Also created a smaller one appropriate for avatar size.

Regardless of whether I do the resizing or whether Kixeye's site resizes the image (animated or still), the newly uploaded avatar comes out at very low quality.  Barely recognizable--and hardly the pirate wench she's meant to be.

Since lovely wenches are absolutely vital to the forum and gaming experience, has anyone else noticed a similar problem?  Any advice on solutions or workarounds?
    To start with, you are using a gif. If you used any other format, you'd probably get a better resized end result, though admittedly I haven't tested that for a while.

If that was your starting image, then it already looks like you started with a smaller and upsized it. Animations in gifs that are small need to be bigger to be seen anyway, so your change wouldn't be particularly visible.

But we don't support animated gifs as avatars, they get changed to jpg.
    Please do not contact me directly by Chat or via posts on my profile page. If I cannot deal with it on the forums, it should be taken straight to Support.