Can Not Access Kixeye website on IE

Tampa Brian
Tampa Brian
Force to be Reckoned With
Joined Oct 2012 Posts: 1,608
For some odd reason, I can not access Kixeye.com on Internet Explorer but I CAN on any other browser. Can it be answered as to why? What can I do to fix this? This is on multiple computers connected to different providers so it is not a computer "problem" per say. Maybe just a setting?
  • Q Rich
    Q Rich
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined May 2010 Posts: 37,470
    Could you let me know which Operating System (Win XP?) and what version of IE you are using please.
    Please do not contact me directly by Chat or via posts on my profile page. If I cannot deal with it on the forums, it should be taken straight to Support.
  • Tampa Brian
    Tampa Brian
    I am running both IE 7 & 8 on Windows XP and Windows 7, sorry I didn't mention that before.
  • Q Rich
    Q Rich
    Unicorn Overlord
    Don't try and use IE7 or 8 at all - and especially so on Win XP. You should be able to use Chrome or Firefox on XP without too much trouble though. remember that M$ support for Win XP finishes soon as well.
    Please do not contact me directly by Chat or via posts on my profile page. If I cannot deal with it on the forums, it should be taken straight to Support.
  • Tampa Brian
    Tampa Brian
    That stinks, LOL. They had Chrome available until recently at my job and Firefox is not available. So as I understand Internet Explorer as a whole is useless in trying to access your website?
  • Q Rich
    Q Rich
    Unicorn Overlord
    No, just the earlier versions. Which is why XP is so limiting, because IE updates are no longer supported on it.
  • SteveLaw
    SteveLaw
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Nov 2011 Posts: 7,533
    edited 23 May 2013, 3:27PM
    KIXEYE Web Dev Jeremy Laskar said:

... Sass will generate code so that your pages look as similar as possible on all browsers and systems. ... Cross-browser compatibility allows our designers to stop worrying about browser-specific tweaks and focus on creating effective user interfaces

:[email protected]
    Ding Dong! The Game is dead. 
    Which old Game? The Monsters Game!  
    Ding Dong! The Monsters Game is dead.
    Wake up, sleepy head, rub your eyes, get out of bed.
    Wake up, the Monsters Game is dead.  
    It's gone where the Farmvilles go. Below, below, below. 
    Yo-ho, let's open up and sing and ring the bells out.
    Ding dong the merry-oh, sing it high, sing it low.
    Let them know.
    The Monsters Game is dead!
  • STINKBUTT
    STINKBUTT
    Greenhorn
    Joined Oct 2012 Posts: 3

no chat kixeye hates me

• Tampa Brian
    Tampa Brian
    SteveLaw said:

... Sass will generate code so that your pages look as similar as possible on all browsers and systems. ... Cross-browser compatibility allows our designers to stop worrying about browser-specific tweaks and focus on creating effective user interfaces

The website will not load on IE period. Apparently will only work on IE earlier than 7 which makes NO SENSE whatsoever
  • Tampa Brian
    Tampa Brian
    No, just the earlier versions. Which is why XP is so limiting, because IE updates are no longer supported on it.
    But I also try it on Windows 7 as I mentioned and the same thing. So it's not an XP issue
  • SteveLaw
    SteveLaw
    Unicorn Overlord

The website will not load on IE period. Apparently will only work on IE earlier than 7 which makes NO SENSE whatsoever
    It does if you factor in lazy coding.
    Let them know.
  • Tampa Brian
    Tampa Brian
    SteveLaw said:

Touche
  • Q Rich
    Q Rich
    Unicorn Overlord
    SteveLaw said:

Cross browser does not always mean backwards compatible.
    SteveLaw said:

Not really, there are some thing that the older browsers just cannot do, no matter how many workarounds you include for them. When I started web developing I was supporting Lynx and netscape 4.72. Lynx was easy, Nutscrape 4.72 had been seen as one of the worst browser releases ever. It may have been over shadowed by some of the later IE releases though.

But I also try it on Windows 7 as I mentioned and the same thing. So it's not an XP issue
    Apologies, I missed that - what version of IE are you using on there? If you are using 8, then it should work. But it is always beneficial to upgrade to the latest available version, and for IE that is apparently version 10 now.
  • SteveLaw
    SteveLaw
    Unicorn Overlord
    edited 24 May 2013, 10:18AM

Cross browser does not always mean backwards compatible.

Not really, there are some thing that the older browsers just cannot do, no matter how many workarounds you include for them. When I started web developing I was supporting Lynx and netscape 4.72. Lynx was easy, Nutscrape 4.72 had been seen as one of the worst browser releases ever. It may have been over shadowed by some of the later IE releases though.

There are, yes, but you can offer reduced functionality rather than it just not working at all (although there are usually ways to simulate the missing functionality in other ways).  I also remember early web development and using javascript to detect and switch between two, or sometimes more if you want to include some kind of reduced, text-only version for fall back, fully mirrored but differently coded websites depending on browsers and this was before CSS and later technologies which does this better and easier.  

But why on Earth would you dump a more functional, more compatible forum for this utter mess?  Never mind backwards compatible, that was a backwards step.  I like and respect you Rich, you must be feeling fed-up yourself with the direction Kixeye is going.  Anyway, I digress.  Whatever.

Let them know.
  • Q Rich
    Q Rich
    Unicorn Overlord
    SteveLaw said:

But why on Earth would you dump a more functional, more compatible forum for this utter mess?  Never mind backwards compatible, that was a backwards step.  I like and respect you Rich, you must be feeling fed-up yourself with the direction Kixeye is going.  Anyway, I digress.  Whatever.

There were reasons why we couldn't use vBulletin, and yes we were sad about that. There was a ton of extras for that forum - but it was also very limiting. We do have more flexibility with what we have now. Features may be lacking at the moment, but we are working on these, and other exciting new features for the site as a whole, for release in the coming months.