Navigation Relay

MagicSarap
MagicSarap
Unicorn Overlord
Joined Sep 2012 Posts: 5,522
edited 14 Feb 2013, 11:08PM
Greetings Captains,

One of the features currently planned for Battle Pirates is the new Navigation Relay Network. With this system, players will be able to substantially reduce the amount of time necessary to travel between sectors.

Feature Breakdown
Each sector will have four Relay Towers. Players will need to travel to the towers in order to hook into the Forsaken Relay Network.
• Players will be able to sync into the relay network and travel quickly through up to five sectors at a time.
• Players can use the network multiple times to travel even further from their home sector.
• If a player’s fleet is defeated far away from the home sector, it will automatically use the Relay Network to get back home.

Protection
At the moment, the design discussion is centered on whether or not players entering/exiting the Navigation Relay should be vulnerable to attacks - and if not, how long they should be protected.
• Increased combat activity is generally a good thing (especially in a game called Battle Pirates), but there is the potential for this to cause unwanted game behavior.
• One of the primary concerns here is the potential for spawn camping at a Relay Tower keeping other players from using the feature at all.

Let us know what you think!

Which do you prefer? 1131 votes

Players are never vulnerable.
47% 535 votes
Players are vulnerable upon entering the Navigation Relay.
9% 103 votes
Players are vulnerable upon exiting the Navigation Relay.
13% 153 votes
Players are always vulnerable.
30% 340 votes
  • Scurvy
    Scurvy
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined May 2011 Posts: 624
    Is this the start of StarGate BP?
  • MagicSarap
    MagicSarap
    Unicorn Overlord
    Scurvy wrote: »
    Is this the start of StarGate BP?

No, no. It's not something that's super science fictiony.
  • Pamela
    Pamela
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Jun 2011 Posts: 638
    Flo wrote: »
    I like that there are shorter travel times between sectors..only thing I dislike at this is that it will probably reduce the number of insecs even more :(

ewww I have to agree here, this is just ammunition for sector police to convince new players that we aren't SUPPOSED to hit insector ..... so far, not a fan.
  • peepers
    peepers
    Greenhorn
    Joined Dec 2012 Posts: 3
    I think about a 10-20 second protection window when going in/out should be available. Or a protection ring that prevents fights within it. But that would some how need an anti-camping feature.
  • 00zau
    00zau
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Feb 2012 Posts: 6,403
    I like reduced travel times. No thanks to being vulnurable, I think that will cause a lot of camping, and will be an issue when returning from a hit (travel 10 sectors to hit someone; friends show up; now if you can either spend 10 hours getting home or use the network and get reamed).
  • Quackgoesthe
    Quackgoesthe
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined Mar 2012 Posts: 1,706
    As much as I appreciate traveling times being reduced, would prefer other times that are much longer to be looked at ...
    ([Damage] * (1 + [Damage Bonus])) / ([Reload] / (1 + [Reload bonus]) + 0.1 * ([Salvo] - 1)) = [DPS]
    Not factoring in splash or spread.
    (3200 * (1 + 0)) / (4 / (1 + 0) + 0.1 * (6 - 1)) = 711
    (3200 * (1 + -0.65)) / (4 / (1 + 2) + 0.1 * (6 - 1)) = 611

[QUOTE=KIXEYE CM MagicSarap;2643418]Actually, it's 815 trillion.
  • kris1019
    kris1019
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Sep 2011 Posts: 3,474
    However, it will open up new targets too, since almost all 50+ level bases stay bubbled forever now that alliance feature is out.
    Pamela wrote: »
    ewww I have to agree here, this is just ammunition for sector police to convince new players that we aren't SUPPOSED to hit insector ..... so far, not a fan.
  • MagicSarap
    MagicSarap
    Unicorn Overlord
    00zau wrote: »
    I like reduced travel times. No thanks to being vulnurable, I think that will cause a lot of camping, and will be an issue when returning from a hit (travel 10 sectors to hit someone; friends show up; now if you can either spend 10 hours getting home or use the network and get reamed).

Protection is the one of the main topics of discussion around this feature.
  • Trogar
    Trogar
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 13,085
    Sounds great!

But really, who was asking for this? Was this the same test group that "loved" the new GFX before it was released? Seriously, come on! Where is our official response to the dry dock/refit yard issue?
  • GIZMO_ASS
    GIZMO_ASS
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Nov 2011 Posts: 139
    Hate the whole idea i dont travel more then 10mins anyway. back to the drawing board me thinks!!!!
    Spawn_of_Satan Lvl 62
    Hulls won to many to build
  • Mr. Blizzard
    Mr. Blizzard
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Jun 2012 Posts: 3,176
    No, no. It's not something that's super science fictiony.

This almost sounds like the Mass relay system created by the reapers in Mass effect video game series....

• Mr. Blizzard
    Mr. Blizzard
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Jun 2012 Posts: 3,176
    Trogar wrote: »
    Sounds great!

But really, who was asking for this? Was this the same test group that "loved" the new GFX before it was released? Seriously, come on! Where is our official response to the dry dock/refit yard issue?

The people who had complained that travel times are too long. Guess somethings can come out of complaining.

• tunder.
    tunder.
    Master Tactician
    Joined Sep 2010 Posts: 2,086
    Being vulnerable exiting relay's would be annoying, because some people would just camp out at the relays and hit everyone coming out of them.
    Retired, Not playing BP with planes in it.
  • lerick545
    lerick545
    Master Tactician
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 2,307
    how will this work? like once you enter the network your map speed is increased by like 10x or something?
  • TRAIN-LOZ
    TRAIN-LOZ
    Potential Threat
    Joined Apr 2012 Posts: 87
    +1

brilliant maybe jump to drac bases make them useful for more than just hiding fleets under :-p
  • Frayzor
    Frayzor
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Sep 2011 Posts: 203
    I like to travel 'long distances' and usually hit bases between 5 and 15 sectors away, finding and sending my fleets to a drac base and then going afk and returning later to pick and hit targets. I mentioned months ago to a friend that some sort of base where you could go to "to jump to 'far away' sectors" would be good, just like this Navigation Relay in fact. At the time i didn't know of anyone else who would 'like something like this' as no-one liked travelling even over 10 minutes away from their base, but it might be different with the Alliance feature now implemented. I voted 'never vulnerable' as if you aren't caught coming out of a base you have hit, then you should be allowed to be safe.
  • 00zau
    00zau
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Feb 2012 Posts: 6,403
    Sounds great!

I'm pretty sure something identical to this (except flavor) was suggested in wishlist a while back. If y'all want I'll look back and try to find it.

So yeah, kixeye does listen.

==Edit==

This is the thread I was referring to.
  • tunder.
    tunder.
    Master Tactician
    Joined Sep 2010 Posts: 2,086
    Sounds great!

I remember this being asked for a long time ago. (earliest post I could find quickly)
    Retired, Not playing BP with planes in it.
  • beel78
    beel78
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Apr 2012 Posts: 8,189
    This actually sounds like a great idea. Opens up a whole bunch of new bases.
    'Soon' in KIXEYE time means once our Sun dies'. 
     Wil Harbin said:

Kixeye hasn’t done as much to annoy its users as other game companies have. It doesn’t sell decorations for games and try to milk gamers for all they’re worth, and it doesn’t sell advanced weaponry that will allow rich gamers to wipe out poor gamers. But it does allow users to accelerate time in the game. Rather than wait for something to be developed, a user can pay to accelerate the build time for units.

• Get_U_Sum_HOW
    Get_U_Sum_HOW
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Feb 2012 Posts: 847
    Seams like a good idea but need protection because of unsuspected S.O.S.'s
  • Captain_Nash
    Captain_Nash
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Sep 2012 Posts: 165
    We really don't want this...what we do want is a way to build and refit at the same time. I know...I just beat a dead horse but, I just had to say it. Start listening to the players maybe....just saying.
    "SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP"......THAT'S MY FINAL WORD.
  • GIZMO_ASS
    GIZMO_ASS
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Nov 2011 Posts: 139
    why not have a vote to see if people actually want this in the game!!! yet again kixeye adding stuff nobody asked for or nobody really wants. shipyard lvl 3 would be nice were we could do 1 build and 1 refit at the same time. i sure people this would go down a storm.
    Spawn_of_Satan Lvl 62
    Hulls won to many to build
  • PantyRaider
    PantyRaider
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Jun 2012 Posts: 617
    I like this idea very much and I voted for protection upon exiting Relay due to as stated SOS lags and crashes, if you dont I can see sector police sitting at relay waiting for a fleet to appear. better yet have fleets in a hidden fashion as like when we send fleets to drac bases that way the sector doesnt know if someone around or not
    I'm done with Kixeye games
  • beel78
    beel78
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Apr 2012 Posts: 8,189
    Maybe the EXIT points should be random in any given sector. ENTRANCES are set but not an exit. That MIGHT???? solve some issues.
    'Soon' in KIXEYE time means once our Sun dies'. 
     Wil Harbin said:

Kixeye hasn’t done as much to annoy its users as other game companies have. It doesn’t sell decorations for games and try to milk gamers for all they’re worth, and it doesn’t sell advanced weaponry that will allow rich gamers to wipe out poor gamers. But it does allow users to accelerate time in the game. Rather than wait for something to be developed, a user can pay to accelerate the build time for units.

• Ascension
    Ascension
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Mar 2012 Posts: 26,257
    thefettler wrote: »
    why not have a vote to see if people actually want this in the game!!! yet again kixeye adding stuff nobody asked for or nobody really wants. shipyard lvl 3 would be nice were we could do 1 build and 1 refit at the same time. i sure people this would go down a storm.
    The R. wrote: »
    Even as a non-in sec hitter I got enough targets within reasonable travel times, and given the high fleet repair times increasing volume of targets is not actually required, except for the heavy coiners. I see this feature as being superfluous and adding unnecessary lag and cross-travelling. It's certainly not of top-drawer importance, unlike, to choose a completely random example, a Dry Dock maybe? ;)

PS: Won't vote on a poll that doesn't even give us the choice to say we don't want this, either. Small wonder people get the feeling Kixeye forces unnecessary features down our throats when we can only choose the HOW, but not the IF.

You not wanting it =/= no one wants it.

Saw plenty of wish list posts for this.

Forum banned by a hypocrite at Kixeye.

• SuperDisco
    SuperDisco
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Dec 2011 Posts: 133
    how can anyone dislike this idea? in fact I think it would be interesting if the drac bases functioned as relay stations, requiring a sector, or alliance to defeat it and maintain control in order to use it. Maybe it would bring back some FvF as well as massive raids on other sectors like in the old days of Battle Pirates.
  • Mike_Storm
    Mike_Storm
    Greenhorn
    Joined Aug 2012 Posts: 21
    No camping if player is always vulnerable. I would like that. At exit, the fleet needs to drift out a couple of length and is vulnerable after 3 secs. Keeps the players on their toes and with the game and the defenders have a chance to defend if attacker are asleep at the wheel.
  • MagicSarap
    MagicSarap
    Unicorn Overlord
    beel78 wrote: »
    This actually sounds like a great idea. Opens up a whole bunch of new bases.

That is the intent. Also, it would allow Alliances to hit bases further away that would typically take a long time to travel to.
  • Trogar
    Trogar
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 13,085
    00zau wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure something identical to this (except flavor) was suggested in wishlist a while back. If y'all want I'll look back and try to find it.

So yeah, kixeye does listen.

==Edit==

This is the thread I was referring to.

And? Saying they listen is believing "Drac Bases - Coming Soon". That thread sure doesn't have 149+ pages of players asking for it though does it?
    tunder00 wrote: »
    I remember this being asked for a long time ago. (earliest post I could find quickly)

**** me! That post was from BEFORE I started playing! Pretty sure THAT was a valid request at the time, but hardly relevant to the game TODAY.
    Is this how out of touch and behind the Kixeye crew is? I am sure there were requests for alliances that predate these... again, Really?
    I think an answer to the DD/RF yard question is a VALID topic in TODAY's game.

For the record, I DO think its a cool idea, and think the attack free area mentioned by another would solve most problems with it. Also maybe a time limit for how long you can sit there, then it moves you out of the battle free zone.
This discussion has been closed.