How to use upgrade tokens?

kmann14
kmann14
Greenhorn
Joined Mar 2019 Posts: 4
If someone could please help. I stopped playing the game for a long time, Came back to see all the cool upgrades. I had to ask on this forum how to unlock units. Now I have run into a different problem. I know how to upgrade using resources. I now have 2 upgrade tokens (total) for 2 different of my new units. Both are air units. Do I need a min level of certain building buildings to use these tokens? If so I would assume the barracks for infantry, war factory for vehicles, but do not know which if needed would be for air units- hangar or airfield. 
  • Jim93843
    Jim93843
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Oct 2013 Posts: 2,710
    you have to upgrade the units as high as they will go (usually level 10) with resources.
    once there, the next 10 levels of upgrades are done with tokens and thorium.
    level 11 will require 1 token, level 12 will require 2 more tokens. level 13 requires 3 more tokens... by the time you have the unit fully upgraded to level 20, you will have spent a total of 55 tokens all together.

hero units are different. they are tokens right from the start to level 10. requiring 1 token for level 2, and 2 more tokens for level 3, etc. until you've used a total of 45 tokens to reach level 10.
  • kmann14
    kmann14
    Greenhorn
    Joined Mar 2019 Posts: 4
    do i need both the token and the thorium for hero units? When I go to the tech center to uprade my air hero Neil it says it wants thorium but does not mention any token needed.