WrongThinker Thinks #06 - Show and Tell

• KrozeR
    KrozeR
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Feb 2014 Posts: 199

The answer is: by shifting to this new system, more build options become viable.  This is really, really a huge deal. Right now, if you don’t build your Hulls in a very specific way (which is sometimes different on a per-target basis), you’re going to take an insane amount of damage. ... 

Searching BP related blogs, asking players in the chat, spending hours on Huggy's Ship Builder, and watching videos on Youtube about event targets are all part of the game.
  • carol.roberts.988926
    carol.roberts.988926
    Potential Threat
    Joined Aug 2013 Posts: 89
    O joy another popup to crash flash
  • DoomsdayRebel_X
    DoomsdayRebel_X
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 1,964
    edited 22 Jan 2019, 11:04AM

I'll be honest. Looking at from a gamers point of view first and a game designers point of view secondly (I do have my Bachleors in Game Art & Design), I really don't mind the defensive rating system set with base values over percentages. If this had of been implemented before everyone's broken Erad builds, there wouldn't be nearly as many refits going on. Lets be honest here after 7 years the percentage based stats get a lot of people in turmoil by being married to a crap build from the start. If... If... If... Done correctly it will be more user friendly. Plus I don't mind learning new aspects of the game, so to me I'm not concerned about in the least. The main concern I see in the post is he says it opens up more creativity, well look how creativity worked out past few weeks. 😂

• whatever11
    whatever11
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Sep 2014 Posts: 262
    was warned  by players from other games that Wrongthinker wood  live up to his name , & HE HAS!!!, need i say more ?
  • sven.gabelbart.5
    sven.gabelbart.5
    Greenhorn
    Joined Jun 2017 Posts: 21
    BRING BACK PASS-THROUGH DAMAGE in PVP !!!!

its so ridiculous now. 
  • joe crossland
    joe crossland
    Incursion Leader
    Joined May 2012 Posts: 1,213
    sounds to me like more forced refits in hopes that it will make us coin ontop of set and fixed defense to insure that we take more damage when they decide to tune targets to do more damage than the set/fixed threshold is reached again in an attempt to make us coin more and still no outlook on fixing crap theyve broken with previous updates just more blah blah blah bs
  • UN Flash
    UN Flash
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Oct 2012 Posts: 419
    Soooo, since you are going to be giving us this wonderful report why not the whole picture? Damage taken charting to the left (negative) and damage given (positive) to the right. This report only gives half the picture. When I go into battle with mixed weapons, I sure would like to know what is being effective and what isn't. It is just as important as knowing what is killing you.

While it makes logical sense to put the stats in the order as shown, it would be better for understanding if the actual taken stat was on the left. That way the actual % damage would be per the % axis on the bottom. All the stats to the right would be a measure (relative) to the one you can relate to. The color order is fine, but the darkest should be for taken with the lighter one being avoided and negated.

No photo description available
  • GoBigOrGo Home
    GoBigOrGo Home
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Sep 2014 Posts: 322
    Battle Report sounds ok, we will see.

Defensive stat changes is bad period. How many times must I relearn the game due to massive changes? I want fun not study hall and chore time. I only pay for fun. This type change is not fun it's work.

How about more fun like the G.U.N.B.O.A.T. event.
    Now we have 4 events a month and all are boring or chore-y or both!
  • montgomery scott
    montgomery scott
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Mar 2012 Posts: 184
    How about letting us have fun?? These weekly event are every freakin week. I am sick of it. Quit changing things so drastically. This used to be a very fun game. 
  • Dan Stanley
    Dan Stanley
    Potential Threat
    Joined Apr 2012 Posts: 92
    UN Flash said:
    This report only gives half the picture. When I go into battle with mixed weapons, I sure would like to know what is being effective and what isn't. It is just as important as knowing what is killing you.

Exactly right!!

I really need to know how effective my attack is. At a minimum, the next tab has to show the amount of damage I did to the target - the reverse of the first tab.

summary is okay, I suspect that's all you can manage, but really, it should show damage by ship -- that would help the creativity you say you want us to use-- I could try different designs on each hull, then from the feedback I'd know which were doing good damage and which were just scratching the paint.

We know you collect that data, so start sharing!
    Battle Pirates: 5 minutes of game play, 12 hours of repair.
  • wwdavis50
    wwdavis50
    Greenhorn
    Joined Aug 2014 Posts: 12
    edited 22 Jan 2019, 3:33PM
    Just a reminder of all the lies we have been told by Kixeye and even the CEO this was back in 2014; And BTW most if not all that did this Video are no longer playing the game any more...   
  • Spartan 336
    Spartan 336
    Potential Threat
    Joined Dec 2014 Posts: 41
    Just more BS to add to the game. As if crashes are not bad enough already lol
    SPARTAN 336
  • Thomas Higgs
    Thomas Higgs
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Jun 2010 Posts: 650

Hello Captains, WrongThinker here.

The last WTT post talked about two upcoming improvements to Battle Pirates.  The first of these was Battle Reports, which is going to give you more information about combat than you’ve ever had before.  The second was a much-needed update to the way our Defense stat works.

It’s time for a progress update on these important features.

BATTLE REPORT

While the final design may differ slightly from what you see below, here is a work-in-progress showing off what the Battle Report feature will look like...

The initial release of Battle Reports will only feature the Damage tab, but we’re designing it with the ability to expand it.  We’ll be able to add more to it in the future, to make sure it’s as comprehensive as the community wants it to be!

As a reminder, damage is broken into three categories: Avoided, Negated, and Taken.  Avoided is what missed you, Negated is what hit you but was countered by Defensive Stats, and Taken is what contributed to your repair costs.  You will be able to use this information to sort out where you’re being successful and what’s giving you problems, helping you to better optimize your build and maximize your Fleets’ effectiveness.

DEFENSE STAT IMPROVEMENTS

Though we don’t have any pretty pictures to show of the Defense stat improvements we’re working on, I can talk about them in a little more detail than I could before.  While there are various aspects to these improvements, the two most important pieces are the conversion of some Defense to Armor and the conversion of the remaining Defense to a “Defense Rating” system.

At lot of Hulls, especially higher-tier Hulls, are going to get a LOT more Armor than they had before (which will not impact Repair Times in any way).  This will better convey the survivability of your Hulls in a way that was actually pretty hidden before, which should be useful.

With the Defense Rating system replacing the old system, all Defense will now be a flat value.  For example, something might have 1000 Corrosive Defense as opposed to 20% Corrosive Defense. As you place more defenses on your Hull, your survivability will increase, just as you would expect.  So, a total of 2000 Corrosive Defense will always be better than 1000 Corrosive Defense. It’s worth noting that this flat Defense is actually NOT the same as Deflection (Deflection is unchanged). When you equip defense, you’ll be shown how much longer your Hull will survive, which should make it all pretty straight-forward.

Of course, I would not be surprised if at this point you were wondering “what’s the heck’s the point of this new system?”

The answer is: by shifting to this new system, more build options become viable.  This is really, really a huge deal. Right now, if you don’t build your Hulls in a very specific way (which is sometimes different on a per-target basis), you’re going to take an insane amount of damage.  Imagine that someone takes a target for 3 coins and someone else with just 2 specials different can’t take it at all. That stinks! With these upcoming changes, you guys will suffer less for subtle differences in builds, which will allow you to experiment more creatively.  This doesn’t mean that all builds will be equally good, but it does mean that the differences between builds will be much more reasonable and you’ll have way more freedom to customize your Hulls and experiment without being brutally punished.

CONCLUSIONS

Right now, these changes are on track to go live in the month of February, but we’re not going to release them without significant internal testing and several limited player previews to ensure as smooth a release as possible (and we’ll delay them if necessary to ensure we get them right).  You’ll obviously get a lot more details at that time, since many of you will actually get to try out these features yourselves.

With these changes, we really believe we’ll restore some sense to Battle Pirates and restore more of the fun to customization and combat!

Until next time, Captains, this is WrongThinker signing off.

-WT

How about you guys stop locking ships out of targets for starters. If I want to try my tier 99 superhull in any target I should be allowed to. Enough with turning everything into an event we the players are sick of it. It has gotten so bad you guys have even turned vxp weekend into an event. The best hull you guys ever did was the skyfire carrier. You had similarities to it with the hydra and the boon but you severyly dropped the ball. You tuned the first event to be way overpowered, and did manythings purposely to hurt us the players after your "gifting mistake" with the bat rays. Instead of listening to those of us that actually know and understand the game, and take our gameplay experience based suggestions on how to make improvements you keep adding things we did not ask for or want to fix the game where you think it should be. If you look back to pre mcx that was a great time in the game for everything. PVE was almost perfect during the skyfire carriers time. You got rid of fvf because certain players whined about sniping in a pirate game. Then one of our  newest siege cycle ships is a submarine. You launched expeditions which was supposed to be a way to combat chore seat time which was a massive fail, Titanium and uranium extractors in our base which sounded good but also a major fail. You keep saying players first but how is any of this players first?  We have nothing for new players, no incentives to start playing, almost no story plot at all for pve side of things.Rogue crews and rolling for them is painful and a joke yet nothing has been done. You need to start thinking more about the non coiners as well as the moderate coiners. Granted that the coiners keep this game going but moderate coiners need to feel that their money is being spent in a gratifying experience and non coiners should be able to gain some enjoyment from playing a game as well. We do not need more and more features that make the game even more buggy and laggy. What needs to be done is rebuild the entire game from scratch on a new server test test test, and then bring over player accounts slowly. I am not just talking about copy and paste either. You guys have even said there is so much code that has been mixed together it is hard to fix simple things. I would really enjoy personally talking to one of your devs to explain what should be done and can be done to fix the game for "players first" but the chances of that happening are 1:1000000 against.
  • wwdavis50
    wwdavis50
    Greenhorn
    edited 22 Jan 2019, 4:19PM
    Proof is in the pudding as to how " they are," Money Hungry Kix is, I personally will never build one myself... 
     http://prntscr.com/man6ud
  • smartynwa
    smartynwa
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Sep 2013 Posts: 128
    We get these requests for feedback on the game or raid.  Has anyone at KIXEYE even read the response from one of the players?  It doesn't seem so.  Rather than trying to improve an existing game, you, KIXEYE, keep add stuff we don't care about or need, only to satisfy some illogical reasoning.
  • hanz heizer
    hanz heizer
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Oct 2014 Posts: 977

Hello Captains, WrongThinker here.

The last WTT post talked about two upcoming improvements to Battle Pirates.  The first of these was Battle Reports, which is going to give you more information about combat than you’ve ever had before.  The second was a much-needed update to the way our Defense stat works.

It’s time for a progress update on these important features.

BATTLE REPORT

While the final design may differ slightly from what you see below, here is a work-in-progress showing off what the Battle Report feature will look like...

The initial release of Battle Reports will only feature the Damage tab, but we’re designing it with the ability to expand it.  We’ll be able to add more to it in the future, to make sure it’s as comprehensive as the community wants it to be!

As a reminder, damage is broken into three categories: Avoided, Negated, and Taken.  Avoided is what missed you, Negated is what hit you but was countered by Defensive Stats, and Taken is what contributed to your repair costs.  You will be able to use this information to sort out where you’re being successful and what’s giving you problems, helping you to better optimize your build and maximize your Fleets’ effectiveness.

DEFENSE STAT IMPROVEMENTS

Though we don’t have any pretty pictures to show of the Defense stat improvements we’re working on, I can talk about them in a little more detail than I could before.  While there are various aspects to these improvements, the two most important pieces are the conversion of some Defense to Armor and the conversion of the remaining Defense to a “Defense Rating” system.

At lot of Hulls, especially higher-tier Hulls, are going to get a LOT more Armor than they had before (which will not impact Repair Times in any way).  This will better convey the survivability of your Hulls in a way that was actually pretty hidden before, which should be useful.

With the Defense Rating system replacing the old system, all Defense will now be a flat value.  For example, something might have 1000 Corrosive Defense as opposed to 20% Corrosive Defense. As you place more defenses on your Hull, your survivability will increase, just as you would expect.  So, a total of 2000 Corrosive Defense will always be better than 1000 Corrosive Defense. It’s worth noting that this flat Defense is actually NOT the same as Deflection (Deflection is unchanged). When you equip defense, you’ll be shown how much longer your Hull will survive, which should make it all pretty straight-forward.

Of course, I would not be surprised if at this point you were wondering “what’s the heck’s the point of this new system?”

The answer is: by shifting to this new system, more build options become viable.  This is really, really a huge deal. Right now, if you don’t build your Hulls in a very specific way (which is sometimes different on a per-target basis), you’re going to take an insane amount of damage.  Imagine that someone takes a target for 3 coins and someone else with just 2 specials different can’t take it at all. That stinks! With these upcoming changes, you guys will suffer less for subtle differences in builds, which will allow you to experiment more creatively.  This doesn’t mean that all builds will be equally good, but it does mean that the differences between builds will be much more reasonable and you’ll have way more freedom to customize your Hulls and experiment without being brutally punished.

CONCLUSIONS

Right now, these changes are on track to go live in the month of February, but we’re not going to release them without significant internal testing and several limited player previews to ensure as smooth a release as possible (and we’ll delay them if necessary to ensure we get them right).  You’ll obviously get a lot more details at that time, since many of you will actually get to try out these features yourselves.

With these changes, we really believe we’ll restore some sense to Battle Pirates and restore more of the fun to customization and combat!

Until next time, Captains, this is WrongThinker signing off.

-WT

The Problem is wen you start to believe ! STOP to make this Game more and more complicated !! Its a GAME and not a subject on a university.
  • johnshaw666
    johnshaw666
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Feb 2013 Posts: 244
    more trash that no one asked for, sorry 
    thats all you doing.
    please stop wasting our time with your trash post and do your job. 
    FIX THE LAG
    CUT BUILD AND REPAIRTIME
    BALANGE THE DAMAGE ON THE RAID
    STOP TO TRY MILK THE PLAYERS BASE       WE DONT COIN MORE IF WE DONT HAVE FUN

IF YOU WANTS MORE MONEY PUT EVERY DAY 1-2-3 DAY SHIPBUILD TOKEN FOR HALF COST IN THE SHOP 
    WE DONT NEED ANY SPECIFIC SHIP TOKEN  WE WANT SHIPBUILD ONES

Tired of closed threads and over moderation? Join a new forum where conversation is welcomed!
    http://www.thedarkalliance.org/forum/forum.php
    its working as intended. (which in Kixeye terms means its broken and they cant fix it) 
  • wwdavis50
    wwdavis50
    Greenhorn
    edited 22 Jan 2019, 5:04PM
    P.S. why the Hell does it say Greenhorn under my name, I have been playing over 7 years now and am a lvl 135, I don't see that as being a Greenhorn ??? Unless this is because I very seldom post in Forums... then I would get it, but I am far from being a Greenhorn..
  • wwdavis50
    wwdavis50
    Greenhorn
    BTW, what happened to all the Promises made in years past that were just put on the back burners, like B&D, upgrading Crews to current fleets, etc.
  • gus.hovey
    gus.hovey
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined May 2013 Posts: 217
    wth ... more crap is all im seeing .....  lmfao   guess lag is going to be worse an crashes too ......
  • hanz heizer
    hanz heizer
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Oct 2014 Posts: 977
    wwdavis50 said:
    P.S. why the Hell does it say Greenhorn under my name, I have been playing over 7 years now and am a lvl 135, I don't see that as being a Greenhorn ??? Unless this is because I very seldom post in Forums... then I would get it, but I am far from being a Greenhorn..
    cause you have only 12 posts,nothing to do with how long you play ;) 
  • Capt.Bly
    Capt.Bly
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined Sep 2014 Posts: 1,532
    Stephen_B said:
    I am concerned about "the conversion of some Defense to Armor".  What are the implications to repair time?
    That's my question also more armor usually means more repair time. If i'm not mistaken 1-sec/armor point or at least that's what it used to be
    players first my ****
  • wing-dang-doodle
    wing-dang-doodle
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Sep 2012 Posts: 1,151
    ill bet that by the time it reaches us it will have a, damage from unknown stat. kix always fecks up good ideas
    you keep whining like me but we are still here, i love broken pixels, how about you
  • Wild_G
    Wild_G
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Nov 2011 Posts: 837
    Stephen_B said:
    I am concerned about "the conversion of some Defense to Armor".  What are the implications to repair time?
    Stephen_B said:
    That's my question also more armor usually means more repair time. If i'm not mistaken 1-sec/armor point or at least that's what it used to be
    Repair times will NOT change.  I have clarified this in the post.  Sorry for the confusion.
    It better not change.  Cause when we all take notice repair times going up cause of more armor WE WILL REMEMBER WHO LIED TO US HERE!!  So far you have proved you have lied to us more then actually doing what you said you would do.  If you want us to start trusting you the kix needs to start proving to us you all want us to have fun and make changes WE want you to make. Right now  have no Trust in you at all

• michaelg21
    michaelg21
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 1,344
    Stephen_B said:
    He actually said in the post that it WILL NOT impact repair time. It always helps to read the entire post.