Beam Weapons and Phasing

Daniel Rose
Daniel Rose
Strike-force Captain
Joined Jul 2016 Posts: 931
Recently I fitted one of my Trojans with Surge Beams, just as a test to see how effective it would be. What I found was that beam weapons are absolute trash due to phasing. What happens is that the beam will start charging or be firing, but then phase, which causes the ship to reset it's firing cycle. What this means is that beam weapons become even more finicky to use, and are almost non-viable on Pharmakon hulls.

Some possible solutions to this would be:
-Allow the firing cycle to finish after it has passed a certain mark (25%, 50%, etc.), even if the ship phases after that mark.
-Pause the firing cycle instead of restarting it once the ship phases.
-Delay phasing until the firing cycle has completed, even if the phase bar has filled up.
Please, if you are going to reply to my posts, do not make the mistake of attacking me personally instead of my arguments. By the same token, do
not take anything I reply as an attack on you personally. I bear no ill will towards anyone.

• LilBasterd
    LilBasterd
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined Mar 2018 Posts: 1,600
    more specials to give to altairians,especially soverign , to counter phasing, since you know they are "so advanced compared to anything else we've seen" when that faction came out lol
    Sealcorps is my biggest fan, ty Sealcorps  for always reading what i write. :)
  • Flamin Hot
    Flamin Hot
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Dec 2016 Posts: 230

@LilBasterd said:
    more specials to give to altairians,especially soverign , to counter phasing, since you know they are "so advanced compared to anything else we've seen" when that faction came out lol

Well, the altarians are working on something to counter the pharmakon...we better hope it's something good

• RaptureAkaDino
    RaptureAkaDino
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Sep 2014 Posts: 937
    i use arrestor 3 on some of mine, with screen 2 x 2 and just before i phase i hold the ships just enough to get some hits in from other vessels. it depends what beam weapon your using and what special you have just increase your screen energy and dont use surge as its got a massive charge time
  • Sequestor
    Sequestor
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Aug 2013 Posts: 1,229
    I was about to make a similar thread, but concerning cavaliers, which nobody uses ever. Probably the most abandoned ship since T7 arrived. It should have had something like burst ray with additional magic instead. Hope for a rework.
  • Daniel Rose
    Daniel Rose
    Strike-force Captain
    i use arrestor 3 on some of mine, with screen 2 x 2 and just before i phase i hold the ships just enough to get some hits in from other vessels. it depends what beam weapon your using and what special you have just increase your screen energy and dont use surge as its got a massive charge time
    If I use Twinfire, my DPS suffers massively
    Please, if you are going to reply to my posts, do not make the mistake of attacking me personally instead of my arguments. By the same token, do
    not take anything I reply as an attack on you personally. I bear no ill will towards anyone.

• Aletheides
    Aletheides
    Joined Dec 2015 Posts: 1,933
    I have a sovereign with fury drones. Works better than my beam Sovereigns vs trojans.
  • Daniel Rose
    Daniel Rose
    Strike-force Captain
    Just to clarify, the topic of this thread is Beam weapons EQUIPPED to Trojans, not against Trojans. I thought this would be clear from my first post, but I think some people just read the title...

• Aletheides
    Aletheides
    Trojans need weapons with no charge time and high alpha damage. The Tera cannon is actually great for this job so there isnt really any reason to go with anything else imho.
  • Mateoski
    Mateoski
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Sep 2015 Posts: 118
    Sovs are useless against Trojans. Probably won't be any beam weapons with Pharmakon because of the phasing either.
  • Ersha66
    Ersha66
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Mar 2016 Posts: 368
    Mateoski said:
    Sovs are useless against Trojans. Probably won't be any beam weapons with Pharmakon because of the phasing either.
    Not entirely, the enguard works fine, maybe i should fit another version with drones in it.
  • Aletheides
    Aletheides
    Ersha66 said:
    Mateoski said:
    Not entirely, the enguard works fine, maybe i should fit another version with drones in it.
    Thats what im using currently. Works fine on both auto and manual piloting. Better on manual actually as you can make sure the Sov stays close to the Trojans so the drones dont have any travel time. Theres currently a bug that also impacts this, but it doesn't happen all the time. Drones will sometimes stick to a Trojan no matter that its cloaked. However it wont do any damage to it no matter that the drones looks like they are shooting, but that means as soon as the trojan decloaks the drones are already there firing doing instant damage. The bug is reported of course.
  • LilBasterd
    LilBasterd

How do 3 ships stay unphased lomg enough tobproc enguard, i farmed 110s and it didn't do Jack for shield regen, but the DOT supposedly stops shield regen anyway?

• Aletheides
    Aletheides
    edited 22 Jan 2019, 9:29AM

How do 3 ships stay unphased lomg enough tobproc enguard, i farmed 110s and it didn't do Jack for shield regen, but the DOT supposedly stops shield regen anyway?

Until they take damage they all have the same phase timer. Also DoT do not stop shield regen specifically, it counters ablative regeneration. Shield regen is stopped by any incoming damage. There has to be 10 seconds of no damage taken for regen to start up again. Unless you are affected by Enguard that removes the shield recharge delay.
  • Ersha66
    Ersha66
    Skilled Warrior
    edited 22 Jan 2019, 7:32PM

Having in mind only the shield regen in a enguard and not his 5% stackable damage reduction for fleet's shields is like watching **** for the music.

Enguard Overdrive

When 3 or more enemies are within the targeting arc, a Sovereign Carrier with the Enguard Overdrive Generator gains boosts to Counter Chain, Counter Pierce, Shield Defense, as well as the ability to recharge its shields instantaneously.

Enguard Overdrive I
    SPECIFICATIONS Notepad
    Counter Chain 5
    Counter Pierce 5
    Recharge Delay 0 s
    Shield Defense +10%

It also generates a support field that boosts the shield defense and shield damage of all other ships within.

Enguard Field I
    SPECIFICATIONS Notepad
    Support Range 11,000 m
    Shield Defense +5%
    Shield Damage +100%
    Weapon Speed +50%

• LilBasterd
    LilBasterd
    yes but with ships phasing they is very little if any time that enguard is active for shield regen, it doesnt activate for me, if one ship is unphased its gone, if a ship cant phase it dies

enguard cant activate if no 3 ships are unphased to strt shield regen hence it is not useful
  • Ersha66
    Ersha66
    Skilled Warrior
    yes but with ships phasing they is very little if any time that enguard is active for shield regen, it doesnt activate for me, if one ship is unphased its gone, if a ship cant phase it dies

enguard cant activate if no 3 ships are unphased to strt shield regen hence it is not useful
    mine is mostly active, maybe it's all about on your ships placement and to avoid spray and pray making the screen trigger in multiple target at once? I personally use a mixed fleet of bastions+paragons, your sov must not accompany the bastions but staying with the paragons instead, maybe you have issues because you put a supportive carrier between first line combat hulls and taking roaming shots more than a reef at sea.
  • Zero Calling Elite
    Zero Calling Elite
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Jul 2013 Posts: 1,435
    Phasing literally makes Beam Weapons trash on Pharmakon and against Pharmakon.
    Zᴇʀᴏ Cᴀʟʟɪɴɢ ɪs ɴᴏ ᴍᴏʀᴇ. Sᴇᴇ ʏᴏᴜ ɪɴ VEGA Cᴏɴғʟɪᴄᴛ!