Trojan Cruiser Armor Options

VEGA Security
VEGA Security
Minor Nuisance
Joined Feb 2018 Posts: 273
If the ship calc is to be believed, then you can apparently equip XXAL armors on the Trojan cruiser, which kind of breaks the rock, paper, scissors balance of power that is supposed to happen between the Altairians, Umbra, and Pharmakons. After all, you cannot equip blight resistance on Altairian ships or plasma resistance on Umbra ships, so why should alien resistance be equippable on Pharmakon ships? The Tungsten and Talonite armors in their XXAL forms needs to be restricted from being equipped on Pharmakon ships.
  • VEGA Security
    VEGA Security
    Minor Nuisance
    Update: I checked the restrictions in game and this is allowed like on the Ship Calc.
  • FreedomCobra
    FreedomCobra
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Feb 2013 Posts: 565
    I imagine the devs may have overlooked this. I'd say press the issue on Discord, and they may be able to apply a hotfix or update to add a restriction to keep this from being available. That is, if they don't see it on the forums.
    (Death Metal Playing In The Background)
    War Commander: Level 43
    Vega Conflict: Level 65
    Battle Pirates: Who cares?

• RyantheRed
    RyantheRed
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Oct 2013 Posts: 596
    Not an issue, XXAL is definately inferior to node III and debatable against node II. The devs did not overlook it.
  • Daniel Rose
    Daniel Rose
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Jul 2016 Posts: 947
    Not an issue, XXAL is definately inferior to node III and debatable against node II. The devs did not overlook it.
    How so?
    Please, if you are going to reply to my posts, do not make the mistake of attacking me personally instead of my arguments. By the same token, do
    not take anything I reply as an attack on you personally. I bear no ill will towards anyone.

• RyantheRed
    RyantheRed
    Skilled Warrior
    How so?
    Well, Node 3 has massively more health,
    Node 2 has more health (though weaker vs. XXAL against alien and whatever the XXAL specializes against), but also has the phase screen increase
  • VEGA Security
    VEGA Security
    Minor Nuisance
    The point isn't the health, but that the Trojan can equip armor that nullifies its counter. This could prevent the rock, paper, scissors idea that comprises T7.
  • RyantheRed
    RyantheRed
    Skilled Warrior
    The point isn't the health, but that the Trojan can equip armor that nullifies its counter. This could prevent the rock, paper, scissors idea that comprises T7.
    I don't think you understand. Even with the alien resistance XXAL is inferior to node 3 against alien damage. It does not grant resistance to the base ship health nor its phase, end of story.
  • VEGA Security
    VEGA Security
    Minor Nuisance
    My point wasn't that this was a good or bad strategy, simply that it is counter the the rock, paper, scissors Kixeye has set up with T7. The Altairians have alien weapons and plasma resistance which makes them effective against the Pharmakons. The Umbra have blight weapons and alien resistance, which makes them effective against the Altairians. The Pharmakon have blight resistance and plasma weapons, which makes them effective against the Umbra. If the the Pharmakons can equip anything that grants them alien resistance, then this invalidates the rock, paper, scissors system by virtue of making it untrue. I'm not trying to argue the viability of equipping it one way or another, just simply that it is counter to the system Kixeye has established.

Also, ship health is not two parts of base ship health and armor health, it is one part of base ship health plus armor health, so any resistances on the armor or ship effect that as a whole. 

Resistance explanation on the wiki:
    http://vega-conflict.wikia.com/wiki/Resistance_Stacking
  • Daniel Rose
    Daniel Rose
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Jul 2016 Posts: 947
    I don't think you understand. Even with the alien resistance XXAL is inferior to node 3 against alien damage. It does not grant resistance to the base ship health nor its phase, end of story.
    That's not technically true. Against Alien (and the XX type) damage XXAL armor will have a far better health/mass and health/repair ratio.
    Please, if you are going to reply to my posts, do not make the mistake of attacking me personally instead of my arguments. By the same token, do
    not take anything I reply as an attack on you personally. I bear no ill will towards anyone.

• RyantheRed
    RyantheRed
    Skilled Warrior
    edited 11 Jan 2019, 11:12PM
    My point wasn't that this was a good or bad strategy, simply that it is counter the the rock, paper, scissors Kixeye has set up with T7. The Altairians have alien weapons and plasma resistance which makes them effective against the Pharmakons. The Umbra have blight weapons and alien resistance, which makes them effective against the Altairians. The Pharmakon have blight resistance and plasma weapons, which makes them effective against the Umbra. If the the Pharmakons can equip anything that grants them alien resistance, then this invalidates the rock, paper, scissors system by virtue of making it untrue. I'm not trying to argue the viability of equipping it one way or another, just simply that it is counter to the system Kixeye has established.

Also, ship health is not two parts of base ship health and armor health, it is one part of base ship health plus armor health, so any resistances on the armor or ship effect that as a whole. 

Resistance explanation on the wiki:
    http://vega-conflict.wikia.com/wiki/Resistance_Stacking
    Now I'm confused, Cyrus states on that wiki page explicitly that

"For example resistance applies to all health if it comes from the hull or resistors. Otherwise the resistance only applies to the health of the tech itself."

Which makes XXAL have significantly less health against alien damage than node 3. I don't see how XXAL is any viable counter because it's not necessailry better due to its alien resistance even against alien damage than node armor.

I agree with daniel rose that health/mass and health/repair is better against alien damage, but that's why I called XXAL vs nodeII debatable, since you're not going to only encounter alien damage.
  • VEGA Security
    VEGA Security
    Minor Nuisance
    If you are replying to me, again, my point isn't about whether or not it is a good strategy, but that it shouldn't be equippable. 
  • Sequestor
    Sequestor
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Aug 2013 Posts: 1,247
    If you are replying to me, again, my point isn't about whether or not it is a good strategy, but that it shouldn't be equippable. 
    Why? The total alien resistance gained from xxal2 armor is not high enough to make it countereffective against altairians anyway.
  • Mr TopGear
    Mr TopGear
    Master Tactician
    Joined Aug 2014 Posts: 2,043
    Whilst the older alien resistance armour does not give as much health and screen energy bonus compared to node; what it does do is to offer the ship lower damage from all damage sources apart from void. This makes it good for farming with using the alien resit armour because you will take less damage on direct hull damage. Sure they wont be as durable but for farming targets that do alien damage tungsten and talonite alien variants are better than using node
    The problem with this game is the power curves. Just look at the graphs I made. Said no vega conflict player ever

• Sparrow Hawk 64
    Sparrow Hawk 64
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Nov 2014 Posts: 105
    The real reason the rock paper scissors is broken is that during phase the Trojans get a huge speed boost which means in pvp Altarian ships simply cant catch them to get in a single shot.