Running the game as a service

ipevac
ipevac
Minor Nuisance
Joined Feb 2016 Posts: 250
Last night the servers were unstable again.  Those things happen when you're running a game as a service and are up nearly 24/7.  What is unique to Kixeye is the response to the situation.  I have never played a game where upon a server outage there is nothing.  There is no acknowledgement of the disruption to the service.  There is no compensation to the players for time lost.  This is not an isolated incident either.  The same exact thing has played out a few times.  It is shocking to see a company that has run games as a service for years now, on a mature product such as Vega Conflict, behave in this way to a server outage situations.
  • ipevac
    ipevac
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Feb 2016 Posts: 250
    I guess we can add unannounced downtime to the list ...
  • Seardluin
    Seardluin
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Dec 2014 Posts: 267
    Yes from Kixeye's perspective, they never have a server/service outage.

Kix always says its on our end, never theirs.
    Sarcasm is implied where you think it is implied.

• Jamie Helm
    Jamie Helm
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Mar 2016 Posts: 955

They keep insisting it’s a beta release and not a mature product. I assume that’s just **** covering, but it really should be stable by now. I fully agree with your comment.

Every other game I play does give compensation when something like this happens, but I guess Kix either does not care or thinks it will impact their revenue.

You would think they would have close to 24/7 coverage with the offices they have located around the world. Instead, nothing announced we’ll after the incident...

• karthik Gopalan
    karthik Gopalan
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Feb 2015 Posts: 497
    There are server outages across games/online shopping sites etc ALL THE TIME! Even google has had server outages!! :tired_face:

• RaniRahn
    RaniRahn
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined Sep 2015 Posts: 1,701
    There are server outages across games/online shopping sites etc ALL THE TIME! Even google has had server outages!! :tired_face:

That is true that every server have problems at some point but google have like 10 times backup channels to make that invisible. Question is how many backups kixeye have that takes over when primary server have problems. If the answer is 0 then these this happens alot like we see here.
    52 45 38 67 54 6b 39 55 49 45 4a 56 57 53 42 44 54 30 6c 4f 55 79 45 3d
  • karthik Gopalan
    karthik Gopalan
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Feb 2015 Posts: 497
    RaniRahn said:

That is true that every server have problems at some point but google have like 10 times backup channels to make that invisible. Question is how many backups kixeye have that takes over when primary server have problems. If the answer is 0 then these this happens alot like we see here.
    Expecting something like what Google has from Kix would be unreasonable. Given that, When can we truly remember the last "outage" as such ? There was one a few months back but that was more of a AWS issue is what I remember. Why I specifically mentioned google, is that even someone at their scale, they have outages. Unplanned. Given the scale of Kix, this outage was fairly low. One thing they can do is, improve their communication over these.