Official Altairian Catch-up Discussion Thread

• SEAL Corps1
    SEAL Corps1
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined May 2015 Posts: 1,688
    edited 4 Jul 2018, 9:17PM

Quick question, do the turrets from altarian outposts fire piercing projectile/plasma rounds? Haven't attacked one yet so deciding what projectile resistor type to fit to my inq destroyers.

The lower level targets deal PR damage, but the Fortresses do a mix of PR and PL, starting at L90. I'd focus more on the PR resistance on the Inquisitors and make your decoys more PL resistant. The EN modules in the Fortresses are simply Arrestors, so they deal little damage. 
    Don't screw with me, I'm an Engineer. | Read this if you're jailed/banned.

VC News Hub Discord Server: https://discord.gg/Ewvt3zY
  • LilBasterd
    LilBasterd
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Mar 2018 Posts: 528
    edited 4 Jul 2018, 9:30PM

Quick question, do the turrets from altarian outposts fire piercing projectile/plasma rounds? Haven't attacked one yet so deciding what projectile resistor type to fit to my inq destroyers.

The lower level targets deal PR damage, but the Fortresses do a mix of PR and PL, starting at L90. I'd focus more on the PR resistance on the Inquisitors and make your decoys more PL resistant. The EN modules in the Fortresses are simply Arrestors, so they deal little damage. 
    they do lock your ships and prevent a lot dodging and make it  a real PIA to kill that onnnnnnne pylon that chain reacts everything.

I think the PR has a lot of phase s my ships don't loose shields but do loose a  bit of HP

@Daniel Rose Kixeye already are listening to the players. They have a control group of players they consult. Probably those preview server people + mods. If you believe they should start forum polls for design decisions then that is pretty unreasonable. Most of us on here may believe we know the game, as we perceive it, but that's just an illusion. It does not matter how we perceive the game or how well we believe we know it, its kixeyes vision that's canon.

We do not have the best interests of Kixeye as a business as a factor when we decide on that what we personally feel is really what's best for the game. Pretty much all of us only see to our own best interests and want vega to become the game we want to play personally. Preferably for free. That game we want may not even be the same game that the other guy sitting next to us here on the forums wants. It definitely may not fit within the targets kixeye have set for the game. The purpose of the game isnt primarily our enjoyment, its primary purpose is generating revenue for its creator. In fact one doesn't have to read far on this forum to see people wish to see Kixeye go bankrupt or for the game to die because it does not function the way they wish. Your own post just now predicted they are heading for bankruptcy as well.

Considering this, do you really think we are fit to tell them how to run their game? Im not surprised they go for a small control group of players with the toxicity and armchair developers that exists in this community. If the purpose of the game is to at least break even, then its pretty risky to listen to the people who want to see it fail.

Problem here is they are continuously making poor design choices and releasing OP ships that they later nerf after they of course sell lots of coin deals

This small group also lets by  many game play issues, and balance issues with events.

-They need to let in new people, who see problems like the tyrant and scourge coming, but as long as they continue the poor testing and whatever quality control method they have [ i doubt they do]   they will make the same mistakes , simple as that.

-Revenue will be made off a quality product very simple not conning and lying to your customer base to goad them into coining out of frustration which by the CEOS own words is how they operate
    -revenue will be made by selling many small well thought out coin deals vs the few that the whales buy
    -revenue will be made by attracting players not alienating your existing base and making it impossible for new players to catch up
  • Gary Pollock
    Gary Pollock
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Oct 2016 Posts: 943

@LilBasterd said:
    SEAL Corps1 said:

Gary Pollock said:

they do lock your ships and prevent a lot dodging and make it  a real PIA to kill that onnnnnnne pylon that chain reacts everything.

I think the PR has a lot of phase s my ships don't loose shields but do loose a  bit of HP

Aletheides said:

@Daniel Rose Kixeye already are listening to
    the players. They have a control group of players they consult. Probably
    those preview server people + mods. If you believe they should start
    forum polls for design decisions then that is pretty unreasonable. Most
    of us on here may believe we know the game, as we perceive it, but
    that's just an illusion. It does not matter how we perceive the game or
    how well we believe we know it, its kixeyes vision that's canon.

We
    do not have the best interests of Kixeye as a business as a factor when
    we decide on that what we personally feel is really what's best for the
    game. Pretty much all of us only see to our own best interests and want
    vega to become the game we want to play personally. Preferably for
    free. That game we want may not even be the same game that the other guy
    sitting next to us here on the forums wants. It definitely may not fit
    within the targets kixeye have set for the game. The purpose of the game
    isnt primarily our enjoyment, its primary purpose is generating revenue
    for its creator. In fact one doesn't have to read far on this forum to
    see people wish to see Kixeye go bankrupt or for the game to die because
    it does not function the way they wish. Your own post just now
    predicted they are heading for bankruptcy as well.

Considering
    this, do you really think we are fit to tell them how to run their game?
    Im not surprised they go for a small control group of players with the
    toxicity and armchair developers that exists in this community. If the
    purpose of the game is to at least break even, then its pretty risky to
    listen to the people who want to see it fail.

Problem here is they are continuously making poor design choices and releasing OP ships that they later nerf after they of course sell lots of coin deals

This small group also lets by  many game play issues, and balance issues with events.

-They need to let in new people, who see problems like the tyrant and scourge coming, but as long as they continue the poor testing and whatever quality control method they have [ i doubt they do]   they will make the same mistakes , simple as that.

-Revenue will be made off a quality product very simple not conning and lying to your customer base to goad them into coining out of frustration which by the CEOS own words is how they operate

-revenue will be made by selling many small well thought out coin deals vs the few that the whales buy

-revenue will be made by attracting players not alienating your existing base and making it impossible for new players to catch up

Sounds like eclipse driver turrets been used then so doesn't really what pr resistor I use of the echo, piercing and statis types

• Cyrus Leung
    Cyrus Leung
    VC Mod
    Joined Jan 2013 Posts: 3,316
    I know this dont go here ... but, I'm probably hallucinating, or kixeye is "giving us" 1-2% more damage "for free" in any battle, I've tried a multitude of fleets, a multitude of objectives, i dont have lag, i dont recibe any "last npc hit", is always with the same result.

the % in battle and after has always been having some difference as far as i can remember ,
    but it didn't affect repair time , sometimes you have 80% damage fleet , you hope in a battle and it's 81%

i suppose they round things up differently , maybe @Cyrus Leung can tell us a few things 
    It's a rounding issue afaik, your actual repair time is unaffected.
  • karthik Gopalan
    karthik Gopalan
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Feb 2015 Posts: 470

@Daniel Rose Kixeye already are listening to the players. They have a control group of players they consult. Probably those preview server people + mods. If you believe they should start forum polls for design decisions then that is pretty unreasonable. Most of us on here may believe we know the game, as we perceive it, but that's just an illusion. It does not matter how we perceive the game or how well we believe we know it, its kixeyes vision that's canon.

We do not have the best interests of Kixeye as a business as a factor when we decide on that what we personally feel is really what's best for the game. Pretty much all of us only see to our own best interests and want vega to become the game we want to play personally. Preferably for free. That game we want may not even be the same game that the other guy sitting next to us here on the forums wants. It definitely may not fit within the targets kixeye have set for the game. The purpose of the game isnt primarily our enjoyment, its primary purpose is generating revenue for its creator. In fact one doesn't have to read far on this forum to see people wish to see Kixeye go bankrupt or for the game to die because it does not function the way they wish. Your own post just now predicted they are heading for bankruptcy as well.

Considering this, do you really think we are fit to tell them how to run their game? Im not surprised they go for a small control group of players with the toxicity and armchair developers that exists in this community. If the purpose of the game is to at least break even, then its pretty risky to listen to the people who want to see it fail.

Again, most of the things you mention here are things based on YOUR PERCEPTION. Let's take the tyrant for example. Loads of complaints. But I see it as no different that echo RagnoDreads with NET's. This was the configuration everyone used. There will always be one configuration that is best above all. It is incredibly difficult to get a game balance RIGHT . And to be honest, for a P2W game, it is counter productive as well. Any P2W game has OP fleets/units/heroes/cards etc which EVERYONE wants and is incredibly expensive. It is a valid business model. It is not for me or you speculate saying it is right or wrong business model. Obviously Kix is able to stay alive and hence will continue to pursue something that WORKS FOR THEM

What Aletheides said is 100% spot on. None of us make games. We all want a game which is comfortable, playable and mostly free. If an event occurs, if we don't finish it in the first hour, we scream on the event difficulty. 

BTW, the control group needs to be small. It cannot be a large subset. Because no decisions will ever be taken. I don't necessarily see that the so called larger control group will catch any of these issues. They may or may not. But it would be counter productive to get anything done. 
  • Sequestor
    Sequestor
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Aug 2013 Posts: 946
    edited 5 Jul 2018, 3:34AM

No, they don't pierce, those are regular plasma eclipse driver. I wouldn't recommend a resistor on inquisitors, unless you plan using only eclipse drivers, which i wouldn't recommend as well, because they are much weaker. Let a bastion tank and give inquisitors more power instead.

• LilBasterd
    LilBasterd
    Skilled Warrior

Again they can make more money by having happy customers not alienating current ones, supporting new ones and not blocking them behind content walls.

Smaller coin deals that are worth buying , stop catering to 20 whales, when you have thousands of players who will spend regular sums for quality content , but they don't.

Diablo3 ring a bell, they ac tutally listen to player base, and get this have aprivatebtest realm where playees get to play, and they watch how players play and potentially abuse new builds and adjust those builds and items before they go live.

It's not rocket science to make a good game and change this one kixeye doesn't care and only care for short term growth.

Did you read the part where they believe in making more money by frustrating players...? What does that tell you about the company?

Oh Diablo3 very large group on player test realm to test things before they go live, large or small the one kixeye has is not working and they don't care to fix it, by taking any steps.

God forbid they make a poll asking for player input on changes they plan to make

I mean they really believe players like and want random weighted loot boxes, which everyone hated since their inception...

• LilBasterd
    LilBasterd
    Skilled Warrior

And @cm_lee if they want us to" catch up"?, do a 50% refit for 2 days at least...

• Daniel Rose
    Daniel Rose
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Jul 2016 Posts: 592

If i don't like something in the game, i will send constructive feedback to Kixeye about it. If i dislike something so badly that i feel it ruins my enjoyment then i will quit and play other games. That what i want may differ from what Kixeye want for this game does not mean Kixeye is wrong, it may just mean this isnt the game for me.

I'm going to go paragraph by paragraph to keep this clean and readable. Let's begin.
    I'm curious as to just how big that control group is, and as to what level all of those players are in the normal game. Also if they are all on the preview server, they all have infinite access to all the content, which means they cannot accurately represent all of us normal players. Tell me, why is it unreasonable to expect Kixeye to poll the players for how to design a game WE are paying for? That last sentence has it all backwards, it ONLY matters how we perceive the game, because WE are the ones paying for it.
    Firstly, please don't assume what my or anyone else in the communities interests are. You might not have Kixeye's best interest in mind when thinking about how this game should be, but I certainly do. Why? Because what is in their best interest is in my best interest. If they make a great game that I really enjoy, I'm going to pay for that game. If they use that money to make the game even better, then I'll encourage my friends to play and pay for that game. If they keep making the game better, they will keep making more players happy and more players will pay for the game. A situation like that is one that is in the best interest of me and Kixeye. This entire paragraph seems to be saying that player enjoyment and revenue for the company are two separate things, when in reality, they go hand in hand. Also I think you are confusing people wishing Kixeye to go bankrupt and people warning Kixeye that the path they are headed down leads to bankruptcy. Those two things have opposite intent. One wants Kixeye to burn to the ground (figuratively, I hope) and the other wants the opposite and is desperately trying to get Kixeye to make changes so they survive.

Yes, absolutely. If they are telling us to spend money on them, we should be telling them what we want and are willing to spend money on. I'm not sure where you get the perception that a huge part of the community wants this game to fail, because that doesn't make any sense. If the game fails, the community is gone. That'd be like wanting the captain flying your plane to die. Sure, the guy might be a piece of crap and handsy with the stewardesses, but if he dies, so do you and everyone on the plane you are flying. Even the people who are telling Kixeye to go f**k themselves probably don't want Vega Conflict to die, unless they have quit the game in which case they probably aren't giving serious suggestions about a game they aren't playing...
    If i don't like something in the game, i will send constructive feedback to Kixeye about it. If i dislike something so badly that i feel it ruins my enjoyment then i will quit and play other games. That what i want may differ from what Kixeye want for this game does not mean Kixeye is wrong, it may just mean this isnt the game for me.
    I agree wholeheartedly with this last paragraph. The only caveat I would give is that while what one player wants may not be important, what a large portion of the community wants may be worth some attention.

Summary: Customer satisfaction in a product such as a game is tied directly to manufacturer profit. If one rises, so does the other. If one falls, so does the other: https://steamcharts.com/app/339600
  • Daniel Rose
    Daniel Rose
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Jul 2016 Posts: 592

Again, most of the things you mention here are things based on YOUR PERCEPTION. Let's take the tyrant for example. Loads of complaints. But I see it as no different that echo RagnoDreads with NET's. This was the configuration everyone used. There will always be one configuration that is best above all. It is incredibly difficult to get a game balance RIGHT . And to be honest, for a P2W game, it is counter productive as well. Any P2W game has OP fleets/units/heroes/cards etc which EVERYONE wants and is incredibly expensive. It is a valid business model. It is not for me or you speculate saying it is right or wrong business model. Obviously Kix is able to stay alive and hence will continue to pursue something that WORKS FOR THEM

What Aletheides said is 100% spot on. None of us make games. We all want a game which is comfortable, playable and mostly free. If an event occurs, if we don't finish it in the first hour, we scream on the event difficulty. 

BTW, the control group needs to be small. It cannot be a large subset. Because no decisions will ever be taken. I don't necessarily see that the so called larger control group will catch any of these issues. They may or may not. But it would be counter productive to get anything done. 
    I'm going to go paragraph by paragraph to keep this clean and readable. Let's begin.
    Again, most of the things you mention here are things based on YOUR PERCEPTION. Let's take the tyrant for example. Loads of complaints. But I see it as no different that echo RagnoDreads with NET's. This was the configuration everyone used. There will always be one configuration that is best above all. It is incredibly difficult to get a game balance RIGHT . And to be honest, for a P2W game, it is counter productive as well. Any P2W game has OP fleets/units/heroes/cards etc which EVERYONE wants and is incredibly expensive. It is a valid business model. It is not for me or you speculate saying it is right or wrong business model. Obviously Kix is able to stay alive and hence will continue to pursue something that WORKS FOR THEM.
    The issue is not that the Tyrant is commonly used, it is why it is commonly used. It has the speed of a cruiser (slower than only Cutters and Frigates), a range only a hair less than destroyers (less than only destroyers and carriers), the firing arc of a carrier (best in the game), squadron immunity, and homing weapons. That's overpowered. Period. It's not a matter of perception at that point, it's a matter of definition. P2W is not a valid business model. IT DOES NOT WORK. The biggest games right now are F2P with only cosmetic purchases. This model is not working for Kixeye: https://steamcharts.com/app/339600. Switch the zoom to "All" and you'll see what I mean.
    Some of us actually do make games. And not all of us want comfortable free games. It's safe to assume we all want playable games, because I don't think anyone wants games they can't play...? And no, we don't all do that. Do you do that? Jeez, calm down, no need to get worked up. Not finishing it in the first hour is a good thing, it means you get more gameplay out of it. Moral of this paragraph: Stop assuming you know what all other players want and feel. You don't. No one does. And that's okay.
    Following this line of logic, a control group of one would be the best. Decisions would be instant and unanimous. They may or may not catch most of the issues, but that's okay, because at least things would get done. Who cares about quality anyways? ;P

Summary: Stop assuming things about all other players. Not everyone thinks everything should be handed to them freely. The purpose of "control groups" (term you are using so it is what I'm using) is to catch the problems in the game before they go out to the public. How fast this process happens is the second most important factor, with how effectively they perform this process being the first most important factor.
  • karthik Gopalan
    karthik Gopalan
    Skilled Warrior
    This can get into a long drawn argument. And I do not wish to do the same. Even supercell, who I thought had the best model of F2P out there, posted their first below expectation year, last year in terms of numbers. Simply put, the game wasn't making money as they thought it would. And if you really, really, don't think P2W is not a valid business model, I really don't know what to say. I can go on about the list of games that are P2W and doing well. I had even researched into such games, their models, player bases, incomes, output etc. Not going to spend time explaining all that. Daniel, I make no assumptions. Perhaps you do with your snide quote on a control group. 
  • Aletheides
    Aletheides
    Joined Dec 2015 Posts: 1,675
    edited 5 Jul 2018, 7:27AM
    @Daniel Rose  The forums is about 1% of the player community. Kixeye listens to constructive feedback. But feedback is feedback, its not demands or "truths" they are required to act on. Theres plenty of people on the forums who make themselves into spokespersons for "what a large part of the community wants", including you. If these people really were such a goldmine of "truths" about the game then of course kixeye would act on it, but thats also an illusion. Many of these people handle their ideas being turned down badly as well.

Less 1% of a community do not represent the wants of the whole. This isnt unique for Kixeye, this is basic for any online game. Listening to community interest groups in front of control groups has always been a bad idea for a game. Its less of a risk that control groups have a conflicting agenda and more likely that they make suggestions within the acceptable framework of the game.

So what do Kixeye think about the forums and armchair developers who believe they speak for the community? There have been posts about it in the past but heres a pair of youtube videos that may be enlightening. Especially the second.

• LilBasterd
    LilBasterd
    Skilled Warrior

Ah those videos speak volumes see if you can find the paul preece interview on battlevortex haha it's even BETTER

• Willyster
    Willyster
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Jul 2013 Posts: 628
    edited 5 Jul 2018, 7:28AM

No. The projectiles do NOT pierce.
             Admiral of the Elite Altairian Devastator Fleet.
                        Elite Altairian Devastator (150)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Struan Robertson
    Struan Robertson
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Feb 2018 Posts: 336
    edited 5 Jul 2018, 8:13AM

Ah those videos speak volumes see if you can find the paul preece interview on battlevortex haha it's even BETTER

are these the videos you are talking about

The part I like best is when Criminal Phil asked about any new/updates for the corvettes and they were told that it is only a "BEGINNER" ship, then we get Suppressor and then the Tyrant, both of which have 360 degree firing and with certain weapons/specials crazy ranges.

• karthik Gopalan
    karthik Gopalan
    Skilled Warrior
    That video(s) pretty much explains what I have been trying to say. Thanks Aletheides!!
  • Gary Pollock
    Gary Pollock
    Strike-force Captain

@Sequestor said:
    Gary Pollock said:

No, they don't pierce, those are regular plasma eclipse driver. I wouldn't recommend a resistor on inquisitors, unless you plan using only eclipse drivers, which i wouldn't recommend as well, because they are much weaker. Let a bastion tank and give inquisitors more power instead.

Valid point, thanks

• Got No Coin
    Got No Coin
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Sep 2013 Posts: 550
    I know this dont go here ... but, I'm probably hallucinating, or kixeye is "giving us" 1-2% more damage "for free" in any battle, I've tried a multitude of fleets, a multitude of objectives, i dont have lag, i dont recibe any "last npc hit", is always with the same result.

I have noticed the same thing but usually it is an extra 2% damage.
  • Got No Coin
    Got No Coin
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Sep 2013 Posts: 550
    Can't wait to find out what bugs are in this event.
  • LadyViper64
    LadyViper64
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jan 2014 Posts: 259
    i see all the Brigade's are still OP so this is a wastfull event 

• Big Red414
    Big Red414
    Greenhorn
    Joined Aug 2017 Posts: 4
    Agreed. I hit a mothership 70 with a SOV and fleet of Bastions and took 13% damage...very disappointing Kix, as usual. 
  • SEAL Corps1
    SEAL Corps1
    Joined May 2015 Posts: 1,688
    Fix the damage on the Sovereign in the Mothership targets. I hit a L110 with proper equipment and one cycle from the enemy Sovereign nearly destroyed one of my Bastions. 
    Don't screw with me, I'm an Engineer. | Read this if you're jailed/banned.

VC News Hub Discord Server: https://discord.gg/Ewvt3zY
  • Gary Pollock
    Gary Pollock
    Strike-force Captain

Hmmm motherships 110 buffed from last event, so much for a catch up event when kix ramp up the rep you get.

• LilBasterd
    LilBasterd
    Skilled Warrior

@SEAL Corps1 said:
    Fix the damage on the Sovereign in the Mothership targets. I hit a L110 with proper equipment and one cycle from the enemy Sovereign nearly destroyed one of my Bastions. 

You are suppose to let it target your sovering first to tank the death laser and put bastions behind

• MajorGavriel
    MajorGavriel
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Sep 2015 Posts: 120

@CM_Lee @DevLeonis

Reduce difficulty on 110 Brigades, this is a Catch-Up event, people need mk5 Bastion boxes to be competitive versus current target selection. And over an over again the Bastion Mk5 drop box is placed in a top level target where the people that need them, take way too much damage to get even enough boxes for one upgrade during one event.

• Struan Robertson
    Struan Robertson
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Feb 2018 Posts: 336
    Here is my attack on a level 110, that Sovereign sure packs a punch, definitely packs a punch, more than last week in any case

• Gary Pollock
    Gary Pollock
    Strike-force Captain

Last event mothership 110.....5 elite bastions, all energy resistant with a sov mk2 with plasma shells, 5.5 hrs rep

This event, 5 elite bastions, I changed shells to plasma, and same sov 2, 5.5 hrs rep

So I should have taken less dmg due to plasma resistance but no so tells me mothership 110 buffed from last event.

• Gary Pollock
    Gary Pollock
    Strike-force Captain

It is definitely the enemy sovereign that is now far too overpowered, watched it drain my sovereign to the point it was destroyed. This didn't happen last event.

Please look into this @CM_Lee

• Gary Pollock
    Gary Pollock
    Strike-force Captain

@LilBasterd said:

@SEAL Corps1 said:

You are suppose to let it target your sovering first to tank the death laser and put bastions behind

Your sovereign won't survive if you use as a tank, enemy sovereign melts it.

• RightSaidFred
    RightSaidFred
    Greenhorn
    Joined Jun 2018 Posts: 2
    edited 5 Jul 2018, 11:04PM
    you buffed the bejesus out of the Altarian Brigade 110s - typical kixeye BS. This isnt so much catchup as extra rep event.