Official Altairian Catch-up Discussion Thread

CM_Lee
CM_Lee
Skilled Warrior
Joined Jan 2018 Posts: 593
Post comments, questions, tips or tricks!
VC Community Manager
Community Rules: CLICK HERE
Submit a Support Ticket: CLICK HERE
  • CM_Lee
    CM_Lee
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Jan 2018 Posts: 593
    As many will ask with this week normally being monthly event, once I have a finalized plan from the dev team I will make a post about this months event plans and dates. 
    VC Community Manager
    Community Rules: CLICK HERE
    Submit a Support Ticket: CLICK HERE
  • SEAL Corps1
    SEAL Corps1
    VC Mod
    Joined May 2015 Posts: 1,816
    So, is this the Ashes event that was hinted in the community update post? I see the PR, AL and PL resistors in the store. I'll be hitting the L110 MS for my Sovereign. Still disappointed in the incorrect loot drops (Vanguards have Cavalier, supposed to be Bastion). 
    Don't screw with me, I'm an Engineer. | Read this if you're jailed/banned. | Pet the neko, you know you want to.
  • Daniel Rose
    Daniel Rose
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Jul 2016 Posts: 659
    So, is this the Ashes event that was hinted in the community update post? I see the PR, AL and PL resistors in the store. I'll be hitting the L110 MS for my Sovereign. Still disappointed in the incorrect loot drops (Vanguards have Cavalier, supposed to be Bastion). 
    They have been doing the incorrect loot drops on fleets for awhile, they always seem to do this. Halfway through the season, they switch all the loot drops up so targets have loot for the ships worst suited to take them on. No idea why they do this though, @CM_Lee could you shed some light on this?
  • FreeMann2018
    FreeMann2018
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Mar 2018 Posts: 301
    edited 4 Jul 2018, 4:53AM
    Four questions:
    - If this is going to be a "real catch-up event", the difficulty of the fleets will be adjusted downwards (to make it easier for low-mid players to win prizes), or it will be another event, where the difficulty goes to be "adjusted" more and more difficult every few hours with the excuse of "change is necessary"?
    - I see the loot of the fleets are still in the wrong fleets; when the loot of the fleets is going to be in the "necessary to fight them" instead of "random ship/weapon"? I mean, ships needed for combat: Cruises, loot / reward: battleship weapon; Necessary ships for combat: Destroyers, loot / reward: battleship parts ... no logic here, you need cars for win a race, and your reward is parts of a bicycle ..
    - Seems that fleets level 100 have disappeared, we have to wait, as always, the jump of difficulty between fleets level 90 to 110 is x3 or x4? What is the real reason to remove those fleets?
    - As the event unfolds, players will have to wait for significant changes in the "favorite" fleets without any warning / reason. you know, change the composition of event fleets, shooting ranges, type of damage, speed, armor / shields, resistance? One thing is to make the event a challenge, and another thing is to change something with the sole purpose of cheating the players disloyally.

Take into account these questions and act accordingly, a catch-up event must be viable for the advancement of all players, not an opportunity to continue to tease them.
    image"Don´t bite the hand that feeds you" should be the motto of any legal company
  • Sequestor
    Sequestor
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Aug 2013 Posts: 1,069
    I already forgot the co-op terms and rules. Where can i read about those again?
  • MRKY06
    MRKY06
    Potential Threat
    Joined Dec 2016 Posts: 97

I hope that thise event will be easy to normal difficulty and not wery hard to insaine,so i can CATCH-UP on mk upgrades

goran
  • LilBasterd
    LilBasterd
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Mar 2018 Posts: 1,139

@CM_Lee said:
    As many will ask with this week normally being monthly event, once I have a finalized plan from the dev team I will make a post about this months event plans and dates. 

Why won't they release VC 3? Why do mother ships drop obsolete xenoecho cannons when they should be dropping xeno cyclotrons ..

Sealcorps is my biggest fan, ty Sealcorps  for always reading what i write. :)
  • LilBasterd
    LilBasterd
    Incursion Leader

Unable to edit, more plasma resonant armor and xeno would be nice as well.. if it's a catch up event.. Maybe refit tokens to help us catch up as well, or does that cut into coin profits? Even though we have latest tier you change the fleets so much we must constantly refit and thus never cst check up BUT refit tokens would truly show you want players to" Catch up", but you don't really..?

@CM_lee

• LilBasterd
    LilBasterd
    Incursion Leader

@ipevac said:
    Is there a reason that 100 level targets are gone and the MK 5 materials are on the 110+ targets?
    Is that the intended design for a "catch up" event?

Yes..... and it is going against their own state of the game address. Things no longer trickle down, sometimes they now go up, go figure, and the most wanted items are not in fleets that are hit. I.E XENO echocannons in mother ship fleets makes no logical nor from a lore/dog standpoint. They should drop xeno cyclotron beams...

• horst.horstmann.7543
    horst.horstmann.7543
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jan 2015 Posts: 147
    Highest drops are still in targets with insane difficulty. Outpost lvl 120 is designed in a way that makes you fly forth and back through the whole base or lose all of your fleet, mothership 140 means that you hit one target and log off for the rest of the day. I am not interested in either way of playing. It is not even _playing_.
  • Aletheides
    Aletheides
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined Dec 2015 Posts: 1,785
    They have been doing the incorrect loot drops on fleets for awhile, they always seem to do this. Halfway through the season, they switch all the loot drops up so targets have loot for the ships worst suited to take them on. No idea why they do this though, @CM_Lee could you shed some light on this?
    The answer we have gotten in the past to this is that the drops are arranged in that way to "encourage" people to build other ships than Cruisers. If all people need is Cruisers each season to progress then what would be the point to invest developer resources in other ship classes for PvE now that we have a dedicated PvP branch?

In the altairian season you havent needed full fleets of the other ships to progress either. Two Cavalier cutters have been enough to assist your cruisers against the Regiments, One or two Paragons have been enough against the Batallions (not sure if i mix up regiments and batallions now but you know what im trying to say). Not like the Xeno season etc where you needed full fleets of cutters to beat those targets.
  • LilBasterd
    LilBasterd
    Incursion Leader

If they don't want us to use only cruisers? Make other hulls BETTER, the over drives all suck and have no thought put into them, why because they never ask for player input or ideas, go figure let players design an over drive and we may actually build the ship!

• Willyster
    Willyster
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Jul 2013 Posts: 907
    Will the Altairian Brigades have the Legacy or Current fleet formation?

This is an important question.
  • Aletheides
    Aletheides
    edited 4 Jul 2018, 8:07AM

If they don't want us to use only cruisers? Make other hulls BETTER, the over drives all suck and have no thought put into them, why because they never ask for player input or ideas, go figure let players design an over drive and we may actually build the ship!

If we let players design mechanics then kixeye will go for bankruptcy. Players naturally dont want the subtle and less subtle incentives to pay for the time they play games like this that the developers puts into the mechanics. "free to play" games arent a charity though. The devs are people as well that needs to pay for food on their table and roofs over the heads of their families. The money for this has to come from somewhere.

The Cavalier cutter overdrive is perfectly fine for the targets its designed for as they have stasis. It would be useful for PvP as well if stasis weapons were used more like they were in previous tiers of ships. But today you dont see much in form of stasis kiting as it has been more effective to use the bastions overdrive range bonus and the tyrants obviously broken range. As reported by some of the test server players Kixeye wanted to nerf both of these ships by removing the range to balance them with all other content they put in but elected not to do that after feedback from said test server players. But that has consequences for the usefulness of for example the anti stasis focused Cavalier in PvP. But for PvE its fine.

As for the paragon i agree on that one. Its overdrive should have the same trigger as the sovereigns Enguard overdrive.
  • siddsm
    siddsm
    Potential Threat
    Joined Jun 2016 Posts: 80
    This looks like the same fleets we saw in Decimation 19. I'd say they will have the 'correct' fleet formation for the Brigades, not the free repair one. 

• FreeMann2018
    FreeMann2018
    Skilled Warrior

Totally agre ... event after event all fleets have been modified to, can you guess? go against cruises and, you know what else? all fleets (except VERY FEW), can not be defeated without using cruisers, try to defeat mothership fleets using destroyers ... or cutters ... or battleships, yes, you will get massive repair rates due to "weakness" intrinsic to those ships.

If kixeye wants to make players stop using a type of ship, he must give "reasons" to use other ships, and not vice versa, making all fleets can only be defeats using one type of ship, causing the rest is useless.

The forum is always full of ideas and suggestions from the players, but kixeye does not listen, just focuses its action on one thing, coins.
    image"Don´t bite the hand that feeds you" should be the motto of any legal company
  • Sequestor
    Sequestor
    Incursion Leader
    Now i seriously plan to replace all xeno eclipse driver turrets on my base with explosive bombard turrets. A bastion with 83.31% xeno resistance plus 75% shield xeno resistance with total 66k hp against turrets with 305 dps each? Is that a bad joke or what?
  • GFKuka
    GFKuka
    Greenhorn
    Joined Jan 2016 Posts: 19
    Sequestor said:
    Now i seriously plan to replace all xeno eclipse driver turrets on my base with explosive bombard turrets. A bastion with 83.31% xeno resistance plus 75% shield xeno resistance with total 66k hp against turrets with 305 dps each? Is that a bad joke or what?

it's not a joke, working as intended )
    base weapon are more weak then ships weapon, thats good on kix point of view...
  • Sequestor
    Sequestor
    Incursion Leader
    A ship build discount bonus maybe? Something like 25-30% would be nice. Since we are "catching up" anyway.
  • FreeMann2018
    FreeMann2018
    Skilled Warrior
    I know this dont go here ... but, I'm probably hallucinating, or kixeye is "giving us" 1-2% more damage "for free" in any battle, I've tried a multitude of fleets, a multitude of objectives, i dont have lag, i dont recibe any "last npc hit", is always with the same result.

• LilBasterd
    LilBasterd
    Incursion Leader
    Sequestor said:
    A ship build discount bonus maybe? Something like 25-30% would be nice. Since we are "catching up" anyway.
    uh no we need refit bonus 50% for 2 days
  • shyva prime
    shyva prime
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Nov 2014 Posts: 589
    I know this dont go here ... but, I'm probably hallucinating, or kixeye is "giving us" 1-2% more damage "for free" in any battle, I've tried a multitude of fleets, a multitude of objectives, i dont have lag, i dont recibe any "last npc hit", is always with the same result.

the % in battle and after has always been having some difference as far as i can remember ,
    but it didn't affect repair time , sometimes you have 80% damage fleet , you hope in a battle and it's 81%

i suppose they round things up differently , maybe @Cyrus Leung can tell us a few things 
  • Gary P
    Gary P
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Oct 2016 Posts: 1,199

There been a 0-1% discrepancy for awhile now

• FreeMann2018
    FreeMann2018
    Skilled Warrior
    All I can see is, all my battles are round up in repair time, giving me 1-2% more damage, instead of round 1-2% less damage.  I need a oficial clarification please, thanks.
  • Daniel Rose
    Daniel Rose
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Jul 2016 Posts: 659
    The answer we have gotten in the past to this is that the drops are arranged in that way to "encourage" people to build other ships than Cruisers. If all people need is Cruisers each season to progress then what would be the point to invest developer resources in other ship classes for PvE now that we have a dedicated PvP branch?

In the altairian season you havent needed full fleets of the other ships to progress either. Two Cavalier cutters have been enough to assist your cruisers against the Regiments, One or two Paragons have been enough against the Batallions (not sure if i mix up regiments and batallions now but you know what im trying to say). Not like the Xeno season etc where you needed full fleets of cutters to beat those targets.
    But cruisers still work for all of the targets...? This just means that if you are building other ships primarily, like me building only Cavaliers, you can't always get the mark upgrades for them because they are in fleets that aren't cutter friendly. All this does is act as another incentive to build solely cruisers, not to make a variety of ships.

If we let players design mechanics then kixeye will go for bankruptcy. Players naturally dont want the subtle and less subtle incentives to pay for the time they play games like this that the developers puts into the mechanics. "free to play" games arent a charity though. The devs are people as well that needs to pay for food on their table and roofs over the heads of their families. The money for this has to come from somewhere.

The Cavalier cutter overdrive is perfectly fine for the targets its designed for as they have stasis. It would be useful for PvP as well if stasis weapons were used more like they were in previous tiers of ships. But today you dont see much in form of stasis kiting as it has been more effective to use the bastions overdrive range bonus and the tyrants obviously broken range. As reported by some of the test server players Kixeye wanted to nerf both of these ships by removing the range to balance them with all other content they put in but elected not to do that after feedback from said test server players. But that has consequences for the usefulness of for example the anti stasis focused Cavalier in PvP. But for PvE its fine.

As for the paragon i agree on that one. Its overdrive should have the same trigger as the sovereigns Enguard overdrive.
    Kix is already heading there without listening to us, so could it really hurt that much? And he's not saying players should have full control of every facet of the game, just that they should ask us what we would actually want to see in ships so they have some appeal to us. As someone who uses cutters almost exclusively I can tell you that the Cavalier overdrive is complete garbage. Yes, it works great against Altairian Regiments, but against everything else it is completely useless because it never activates. There are no other high end PvE targets with stasis weapons, and no one uses stasis in high end PvP. People just use fleets of Bastions, Sovereigns, and Tyrants and smash them into each other, wiping out Cavaliers in a matter of seconds, long before they are able to get in range with their microscopic weapon range. The Paragon Overdrive is at least good against bases. The problem with it is that it is too specific, similar to the Cavalier's Overdrive, in it's affect and activation. Compare that to the Bastion's which upgrades almost every part of the ship, and you start to see why people elect to use Bastions for everything over all the other ship classes.

Summary: Switching the target boxes around only makes people use Bastions more and other ships less. This is furthered by how bad the other hulls overdrives are compared to the Bastion. In general, overdrives are poorly thought out and even more poorly balanced.
  • Gary P
    Gary P
    Incursion Leader

Bet there is more bastion fleets than other type fleets

• Aletheides
    Aletheides
    edited 4 Jul 2018, 8:54PM
    @Daniel Rose Kixeye already are listening to the players. They have a control group of players they consult. Probably those preview server people + mods. If you believe they should start forum polls for design decisions then that is pretty unreasonable. Most of us on here may believe we know the game, as we perceive it, but that's just an illusion. It does not matter how we perceive the game or how well we believe we know it, its kixeyes vision that's canon.

We do not have the best interests of Kixeye as a business as a factor when we decide on that what we personally feel is really what's best for the game. Pretty much all of us only see to our own best interests and want vega to become the game we want to play personally. Preferably for free. That game we want may not even be the same game that the other guy sitting next to us here on the forums wants. It definitely may not fit within the targets kixeye have set for the game. The purpose of the game isnt primarily our enjoyment, its primary purpose is generating revenue for its creator. In fact one doesn't have to read far on this forum to see people wish to see Kixeye go bankrupt or for the game to die because it does not function the way they wish. Your own post just now predicted they are heading for bankruptcy as well.

Considering this, do you really think we are fit to tell them how to run their game? Im not surprised they go for a small control group of players with the toxicity and armchair developers that exists in this community. If the purpose of the game is to at least break even, then its pretty risky to listen to the people who want to see it fail.

If i don't like something in the game, i will send constructive feedback to Kixeye about it. If i dislike something so badly that i feel it ruins my enjoyment then i will quit and play other games. That what i want may differ from what Kixeye want for this game does not mean Kixeye is wrong, it may just mean this isnt the game for me.

• Gary P
    Gary P
    Incursion Leader

Quick question, do the turrets from altarian outposts fire piercing projectile/plasma rounds? Haven't attacked one yet so deciding what projectile resistor type to fit to my inq destroyers.