So about that Xeno Surge Beam range...

• LilBasterd
    LilBasterd
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Mar 2018 Posts: 1,269

@Daniel Rose said:
    @CM_Lee Can we get an official statement on this please? We've heard nothing about this from anyone. The only person who has said anything was Cyrus, who said he brought it up and the game team noted this, but that was a long time ago and we've seen nothing about that from them. All I'm asking for is a "Yes, this is recognized as a discrepancy and will be addressed soon" or a "No, this is intended/not something that is going to be changed." Please.

They made the item thus know it's stats and don't care that it sucks. Hence one or two things can be concluded..

A- Wasn't tested in any way.
    B- Tested and they didn't care that it was ****.

Seems like a very habitual pattern of behavior on kixeye part sadly...

Sealcorps is my biggest fan, ty Sealcorps  for always reading what i write. :)
  • Daniel Rose
    Daniel Rose
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Jul 2016 Posts: 744

@Daniel Rose said:

@Coelus said:
    i just find it really funny its been 3mo or more and @CM_Lee still hasnt even bothered to pretend to acknowledge the inquiry. bare minimum guys...

It'd be funny if it weren't so sad and disappointing.

This is but one item on the to-do list, no idea when they will get to this. ;)

I don't know how this was coded, but if it was coded the most practical way, range would be just a single integer that could be changed in 5 keyboard strokes (highlight with mouse, 3, 2, 5, 0). Wouldn't fixing the things that have a big (relatively) impact and are easy to fix would be the

@Daniel Rose said:
    @CM_Lee Can we get an official statement on this please? We've heard nothing about this from anyone. The only person who has said anything was Cyrus, who said he brought it up and the game team noted this, but that was a long time ago and we've seen nothing about that from them. All I'm asking for is a "Yes, this is recognized as a discrepancy and will be addressed soon" or a "No, this is intended/not something that is going to be changed." Please.

They made the item thus know it's stats and don't care that it sucks. Hence one or two things can be concluded..

A- Wasn't tested in any way.
    B- Tested and they didn't care that it was ****.

Seems like a very habitual pattern of behavior on kixeye part sadly...

My guess is that it was tested, but only against the Altairian Regiments (the signature PvE targets of Cavaliers). Against them, the range of 2000m actually works in the player's favor, allowing them to do the fleets with slightly less piloting. The problem is that against literally everything else, the range is a massive hindrance.
    Please, if you are going to reply to my posts, do not make the mistake of attacking me personally instead of my arguments. By the same token, do
    not take anything I reply as an attack on you personally. I bear no ill will towards anyone.

• LilBasterd
    LilBasterd
    Incursion Leader

Problem is even with 5 xeno surge beams they suck **** and can't kill effectively, they also need to be micro managed to stay on target even with focus fire set. So they are useless at what they are designed to do, not enough room for 6 full beams and armor/ shields. Not sure 6 would make a difference and ya mine was mk5 so I think that's bonus battleship dmg

• Daniel Rose
    Daniel Rose
    Strike-force Captain

Problem is even with 5 xeno surge beams they suck **** and can't kill effectively, they also need to be micro managed to stay on target even with focus fire set. So they are useless at what they are designed to do, not enough room for 6 full beams and armor/ shields. Not sure 6 would make a difference and ya mine was mk5 so I think that's bonus battleship dmg

Honestly, I think I am going to try to make one of my Cavaliers with Xeno Twinfire beams instead of Surge beams and see if it performs better.
    Please, if you are going to reply to my posts, do not make the mistake of attacking me personally instead of my arguments. By the same token, do
    not take anything I reply as an attack on you personally. I bear no ill will towards anyone.

• LilBasterd
    LilBasterd
    Incursion Leader

Honestly, I think I am going to try to make one of my Cavaliers with Xeno Twinfire beams instead of Surge beams and see if it performs better.
    not worth it build/refit something else, its  1k less DPS and the charge time reduction special doesnt add that much DPS even
  • Daniel Rose
    Daniel Rose
    Strike-force Captain

not worth it build/refit something else, its  1k less DPS and the charge time reduction special doesnt add that much DPS even
    More like 600 DPS less, and with the extra mass I could add an extra 10k armor and shields

• LilBasterd
    LilBasterd
    Incursion Leader
    edited 6 Jul 2018, 12:55AM
    More like 600 DPS less, and with the extra mass I could add an extra 10k armor and shields
    It depends on if you go full twinfire vs full xeno surge,  thats 1k dps ,plus  less armor shields
    -all xeno twinfire 2500 DPS
    xeno surge  [x5] 3.1kDPS
     -[x6] 3.6k DPS
    so ya u are right

- point is its  a  stupid weapon that isnt worth the ton of grinding i did  to craft a mk6 cutter and 5 xeno surgesto find out its useless for what its designed to do.
  • Daniel Rose
    Daniel Rose
    Strike-force Captain
    It depends on if you go full twinfire vs full xeno surge,  thats 1k dps ,plus  less armor shields
    xeno surge  [x5] 3.1kDPS
     -[x6] 3.6k DPS
    so ya u are right

- point is its  a  stupid weapon that isnt worth the ton of grinding i did  to craft a mk6 cutter and 5 xeno surgesto find out its useless for what its designed to do.
    I wonder how much effective DPS the Surge beam loses when you account for the huge range difference and all of that. It really isn't worth it, and it's sad because cutters are already so weak in the current meta of the game. Although at this point, anything that isn't a cruiser, carrier, or Tyrant is weak :P

• Coelus
    Coelus
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Jul 2015 Posts: 1,193

@LilBasterd said:
    Daniel Rose said:

LilBasterd said:

xeno surge  [x5] 3.1kDPS

-[x6] 3.6k DPS

so ya u are right

• point is its  a  stupid weapon that isnt worth the ton of grinding i did  to craft a mk6 cutter and 5 xeno surgesto find out its useless for what its designed to do.

I dont think any RI is worth a ton of grinding. Theyre just proof kix are greedy shitheads

• Daniel Rose
    Daniel Rose
    Strike-force Captain
    Coelus said:

@LilBasterd said:
    Daniel Rose said:

LilBasterd said:

xeno surge  [x5] 3.1kDPS

-[x6] 3.6k DPS

so ya u are right

• point is its  a  stupid weapon that isnt worth the ton of grinding i did  to craft a mk6 cutter and 5 xeno surgesto find out its useless for what its designed to do.

I dont think any RI is worth a ton of grinding. Theyre just proof kix are greedy shitheads

Sad part is that they aren't even reusable items, they are just credits :/

• Daniel Rose
    Daniel Rose
    Strike-force Captain

Another downtime, another lack of Xeno Surge Beam range fix. Greaaaaaat. It would take literally 5 key strokes, but sure, not worth the handful of seconds it would take to fix o.O

• Zero Calling
    Zero Calling
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Jul 2013 Posts: 1,070
    I think the short range is intentional.
    Zᴇʀᴏ Cᴀʟʟɪɴɢ ɪs ɴᴏ ᴍᴏʀᴇ. Sᴇᴇ ʏᴏᴜ ɪɴ VEGA Cᴏɴғʟɪᴄᴛ!

• Daniel Rose
    Daniel Rose
    Strike-force Captain

@Willyster said:

Why would the Xeno variant have 50% less range than the Energy variants? That wouldn't make any sense. Of course we don't know for sure because NO ONE WHO WOULD KNOW EVER COMMUNICATES.

• Zero Calling
    Zero Calling
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Jul 2013 Posts: 1,070

@Willyster said:

Why would the Xeno variant have 50% less range than the Energy variants? That wouldn't make any sense. Of course we don't know for sure because NO ONE WHO WOULD KNOW EVER COMMUNICATES.

You could have told me earlier and saved me the bother!
    Zᴇʀᴏ Cᴀʟʟɪɴɢ ɪs ɴᴏ ᴍᴏʀᴇ. Sᴇᴇ ʏᴏᴜ ɪɴ VEGA Cᴏɴғʟɪᴄᴛ!

• Daniel Rose
    Daniel Rose
    Strike-force Captain
    edited 9 Jul 2018, 10:44PM
    Yeah it's not getting fixed. Xeno Surge Beams are just trash. Don't use them. Honestly I'm just going to refit all my Cavaliers with Xeno Twinfires. Good job making T7 tech worse than T6.5 tech Kixeye.

• Ersha66
    Ersha66
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Mar 2016 Posts: 269
    Yeah it's not getting fixed. Xeno Surge Beams are just trash. Don't use them. Honestly I'm just going to refit all my Cavaliers with Xeno Twinfires. Good job making T7 tech worse than T6.5 tech Kixeye.
    t6 weapons were not worse than t6.5?or you seriously think that shatter drivers, ruptures and cluster missiles are better than eclipse, twinfire and bombardment torps? Next season will be the same so expect to find more powerful or faster weapons, first seasons seems to always have "experimental" and prototype weapons
  • Daniel Rose
    Daniel Rose
    Strike-force Captain
    Ersha66 said:
    t6 weapons were not worse than t6.5?or you seriously think that shatter drivers, ruptures and cluster missiles are better than eclipse, twinfire and bombardment torps? Next season will be the same so expect to find more powerful or faster weapons, first seasons seems to always have "experimental" and prototype weapons
    Erm...you just said that T6 weapons weren't worse than T6.5 weapons and then asked if I seriously thought that the T6 weapons were better than the T6.5 weapons. And then you went on to explain that earlier seasons weapons are worse than later seasons weapons usually, which is why in the post you are quoting I was pointing out how backwards it is that a T7 weapon is worse than its T6.5 counterpart. Your reply contradicts itself and I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say, could you rephrase in a less confusing way?

• Ersha66
    Ersha66
    Minor Nuisance
    edited 11 Jul 2018, 6:44AM
    you are confused, my message is clear as it is. Each tier have 2 season, the first one comes with prototype weapons, the second one with more "smarter" stuff. T6 weapon sucked so badly that even the latest t5 weapons still had a place during the xeno season (people still preferred to use nova and manifold missile on their t6 hulls). It's just the same story repeating again and again.

Then you have kixeye that stated t7.5 will reward aggressive and bold gameplay, and how do you endorse that kind of gameplay? usually with HUGE RAW FIREPOWER.

• Daniel Rose
    Daniel Rose
    Strike-force Captain
    Ersha66 said:
    you are confused, my message is clear as it is. Each tier have 2 season, the first one comes with prototype weapons, the second one with more "smarter" stuff. T6 weapon sucked so badly that even the latest t5 weapons still had a place during the xeno season (people still preferred to use nova and manifold missile on their t6 hulls). It's just the same story repeating again and again.

Then you have kixeye that stated t7.5 will reward aggressive and bold gameplay, and how do you endorse that kind of gameplay? usually with HUGE RAW FIREPOWER.

At the start of your post you said that "t6 weapons were not worse than t6.5". Now you are saying the opposite. My point is that that is correct, the previous tiers should be worse than the current tiers, hence why it is weird that a T7 weapon is worse than it's T6.5 counterpart.

• Ersha66
    Ersha66
    Minor Nuisance
    change your glasses asap. There is a reason why in my phrase there was a Question Mark. Eeeew i think i can guess what you have on your internet history ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
  • Revann
    Revann
    Master Tactician
    Joined Jan 2014 Posts: 2,399

@Ersha66 said:
    Daniel Rose said:

t6 weapons were not worse than t6.5?

What part of this ^^^ makes sense? Your wording may be off from the point you’re trying to make. I can almost make sense if it off i say it out loud and change inflection. It sounds like a bad sentence my 4 year old would use. What he is saying Ersha is because of the range difference, it makes THIS tier weapon worse than the previous tiers variant. Stop being stupid please.

-Git Gud 
  • Revann
    Revann
    Master Tactician
    Joined Jan 2014 Posts: 2,399

I think the way it should be worded Ersha is “Were tier 6 weapons not worse than tier 6.5?”

-Git Gud 
  • shyva prime
    shyva prime
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Nov 2014 Posts: 593
    there was maybe 2 or 3 T6 weapon that were better than T6.5 in *some* scenario .

Xeno shatter driver lvl2 could output way more firepower and had better weight /dps ration than xeno eclipse for basing ( iirc ) 

xeno seeker lvl2 is still the best anti squadron weapon i think 

and then the xeno rupture beam has way better weight to damage than the xeno twinfire beam , but has a ridiculously long charge time.

so yeah , some T6 weapon were better than T6.5 in some situation , but in general , T6.5 was just better.
  • Daniel Rose
    Daniel Rose
    Strike-force Captain
    Ersha66 said:
    change your glasses asap. There is a reason why in my phrase there was a Question Mark. Eeeew i think i can guess what you have on your internet history ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    I...but...what? Literally scratching my head trying to figure out what you are saying here.

1. I don't have glasses.

2. I understand that sentence is asking a rhetorical question, the problem is what that question even means. Was "t6 weapons were not worse than t6.5?" supposed to be a simplified quote from me? Essentially were you trying to say: "What do you mean T6 weapons were not worse than T6.5 weapons? Of course they were!" or were you trying to say: "T6 weapons were not worse than T6.5 weapons, what are you talking about?" Either interpretation makes no sense in the given context.

3. This has literally nothing to do with anything. If you are trying to imply that I am stupid or don't understand English, how would that relate to my internet history? Maybe you are trying to imply that my glasses are dirty and impairing my vision because of all the dirty stuff that is in my internet history? But that's really stretching it.

• Daniel Rose
    Daniel Rose
    Strike-force Captain
    there was maybe 2 or 3 T6 weapon that were better than T6.5 in *some* scenario .

Xeno shatter driver lvl2 could output way more firepower and had better weight /dps ration than xeno eclipse for basing ( iirc ) 

xeno seeker lvl2 is still the best anti squadron weapon i think 

and then the xeno rupture beam has way better weight to damage than the xeno twinfire beam , but has a ridiculously long charge time.

so yeah , some T6 weapon were better than T6.5 in some situation , but in general , T6.5 was just better.
    The T6 weapons in general had better base stats than T6.5 weapons, but the practical stats of T6.5 weapons were far greater than T6 weapons i.e. the Eclipse Driver had a faster projectile speed, fired in bursts, longer range, and a much lower minimum range making it much more viable in combat, the Twinfire Beam had almost half the charge time and a longer range making it much more viable in combat, and the Bombardment Torpedo sucked, but so did the Cluster Missile so it really doesn't matter :P The Pulse Ray was only slightly better than the Disintegrator Cannon and the Seeker Missile and Redeemer Missile aren't really comparable. So yeah, I agree that T6.5 was overall better.

• John the Savage
    John the Savage
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Nov 2016 Posts: 956
    You know, over the years I have come to accept kixeyes lack of quality control as being a part of the game.  Instead of "everything works and is equal in effectiveness", what we get instead is "not everything is equally useful" and even "not everything works right".  Very much how I would imagine a real technological arms race unfolding in a sci fi setting.

Broken items like the xeno surge beam, are in actuality, an immersion-generating feature.  We can imagine that that there is some faulty component used in the rushed construction of the weapon, therefore it does not function as per specification. 

Part of the game strategy is learning to identify which technologies are under-performers and avoid them, while building upon what works.

Each season brings us a few hits, and many, many misses.  The altairian season was really all about the Bastion and the Sovereign, with their accompanying tech.  Most of the altairian weapons and specials were pretty subpar, some downright dysfunctional.

AXIS was all about the Paladin, Guardian and Liberator.  Pulse cannon and eclipse drivers were king.  Eclipse drivers still rank pretty high on the meta a whole season later.

Pegasus was a thrill for a couple weeks, but then the Tyrant came.  And well....... you all know how that turned out

Xeno had the Punisher and Exterminator.  Disintigrators and shatter drivers everywhere.

And so it shall continue, each season bringing us a few things that actually work as expected, a handful of things that work better than expected, along with a whole lot of broken junk that only the coiners have the luxury to experiment with, but the practical minded will have learned to avoid.

And I am not being sarcastic when I say it is all just a part of the game to me at this point.

• Daniel Rose
    Daniel Rose
    Strike-force Captain

@Stormer-M said:
    You know, over the years I have come to accept kixeyes lack of quality control as being a part of the game.  Instead of "everything works and is equal in effectiveness", what we get instead is "not everything is equally useful" and even "not everything works right".  Very much how I would imagine a real technological arms race unfolding in a sci fi setting.

Broken items like the xeno surge beam, are in actuality, an immersion-generating feature.  We can imagine that that there is some faulty component used in the rushed construction of the weapon, therefore it does not function as per specification. 

Part of the game strategy is learning to identify which technologies are under-performers and avoid them, while building upon what works.

Each season brings us a few hits, and many, many misses.  The altairian season was really all about the Bastion and the Sovereign, with their accompanying tech.  Most of the altairian weapons and specials were pretty subpar, some downright dysfunctional.

AXIS was all about the Paladin, Guardian and Liberator.  Pulse cannon and eclipse drivers were king.  Eclipse drivers still rank pretty high on the meta a whole season later.

Pegasus was a thrill for a couple weeks, but then the Tyrant came.  And well....... you all know how that turned out

Xeno had the Punisher and Exterminator.  Disintigrators and shatter drivers everywhere.

And so it shall continue, each season bringing us a few things that actually work as expected, a handful of things that work better than expected, along with a whole lot of broken junk that only the coiners have the luxury to experiment with, but the practical minded will have learned to avoid.

And I am not being sarcastic when I say it is all just a part of the game to me at this point.

I get what you are saying...but that's not how games are or should be. It's not a sign of clever game design, it's a sign of rushed game design. This is an inevitable side effect of content spam. When they pump as much as they do out as fast as they do, they can't properly balance it. And the sad part is that this completely defeats the purpose of the content spam, because such a large quantity of the stuff released is so useless that it might of well never have been released. Instead of everything being released having a use and adding to the game experience, almost everything released feels like it was thrown together at the last minute and actually ends up detracting from the experience. As far as it making the game more immersive, it's not because of stuff is complete trash in a real war, no one is gonna be using it or selling it OR it will quickly get fixed to be useful.

As a side note, I noticed that all the "useful" tech you listed was either a cruiser, a destroyer, or a carrier. The reason this is, is because those ship classes are inherently strong, so producing good content for them is a breeze. As for cutters, battleships, and frigates/specialists those take effort to properly make up for their inherent weaknesses, which is why they always come up short. Seriously, have you ever seen someone effectively use any of those ships with their intended weapons effectively against people using the stronger classes?

• Sequestor
    Sequestor
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Aug 2013 Posts: 1,104
    How can i unsubscribe from this pointless thread? I don't want to get notified when somebody bumps it.
    They are not going to increase the range of this quite useless weapon and the increased range wouldn't help it anyway due to its extreme mass and the overall cutter vulnerability. The whole cutter idea in pve is anything but actually combat. Kix failed to make cutters and missiles useful starting from the T6 season. A vulnerable ship with a useless weapon in close combat? A brilliant idea. Players would be mostly glad if kix stop making cutters and add one more catch up month between seasons.
  • Daniel Rose
    Daniel Rose
    Strike-force Captain
    Sequestor said:
    How can i unsubscribe from this pointless thread? I don't want to get notified when somebody bumps it.
    They are not going to increase the range of this quite useless weapon and the increased range wouldn't help it anyway due to its extreme mass and the overall cutter vulnerability. The whole cutter idea in pve is anything but actually combat. Kix failed to make cutters and missiles useful starting from the T6 season. A vulnerable ship with a useless weapon in close combat? A brilliant idea. Players would be mostly glad if kix stop making cutters and add one more catch up month between seasons.
    I think there's a button somewhere, you're right they probably aren't going to change it, and while you are correct that cutters in PvE are pretty sh*t and are also pretty sh*t in PvP these days, if Kixeye stopped making them I would probably stop playing :P It is unlikely that is going to happen because cutters are the best ships for Kixeye due to the fact that they always take damage.

• Sequestor
    Sequestor
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Aug 2013 Posts: 1,104
    edited 12 Jul 2018, 5:00AM
    Cutters don't take damage if nobody plays with them. *insert a meme with an african here*
    In pve you can't defeat anything with cutters without taking heavy damage and a lot of repair time. Same goes to pvp. They have some purposes, but they are totally not worth a whole month dedicated to a useless ship with useless weapons.