Genies, unsolved mysteries and conspiracies!

Thane Mantis
Thane Mantis
Strike-force Captain
Joined Jul 2017 Posts: 653
edited 30 Jan 2018, 1:56PM
Back to nick more questions from /r/AskReddit. Now this is a good one.
Question: Instead of three wishes, a genie grants you one truth to an unsolved mystery/conspiracy. What mystery/conspiracy would you wish to find the answer to?
Asked by: themacattackk

So everyone, what mystery do you want the answers to?
  • Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Nov 2010 Posts: 11,948

Why the hell were the ancient Egyptians so bad at walking normally?

• KrisK
    KrisK
    Master Tactician
    Joined Apr 2012 Posts: 2,499
    Are the UFO pictures real or photoshopped?
  • Thane Mantis
    Thane Mantis
    Strike-force Captain
    Are we really living in a giant computer simulation?
  • Thane Mantis
    Thane Mantis
    Strike-force Captain
    Yard said:

Why the hell were the ancient Egyptians so bad at walking normally?

I see you're asking the big questions Yard, lol.
  • Thane Mantis
    Thane Mantis
    Strike-force Captain
    Is Elon Musk really secretly trying to create a zombie apocalypse to sell Flamethrowers?
    (I know I already posted my question, but since Genies typically give 3 wishes, I'd say it won't hurt to have a couple more questions to want answers to. And this is important anyways.)
  • Axel L
    Axel L
    WC Mod
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 10,198
    I'm sorry to disappoint you that we will never be able to know if this were the case.
    Video games don't cause violence, lag does.
  • Thane Mantis
    Thane Mantis
    Strike-force Captain
    Axel L said:
    I'm sorry to disappoint you that we will never be able to know if this were the case.
    Did you miss the original question this thread was asking Axel?
  • Axel L
    Axel L
    WC Mod
    Axel L said:
    It would be revolutionary if it could be proven. Another interesting question to ask is if we are real.
  • Thane Mantis
    Thane Mantis
    Strike-force Captain
    Axel L said:
    Axel L said:
    It would be revolutionary if it could be proven. Another interesting question to ask is if we are real.
    Uh, I basically already asked that question when I enquired about the possibility of our entire reality being simulated.
    Might want to think of another question Axel.
  • Axel L
    Axel L
    WC Mod
    edited 31 Jan 2018, 5:55AM
    Axel L said:
    Axel L said:
    Uh, I basically already asked that question when I enquired about the possibility of our entire reality being simulated.
    Might want to think of another question Axel.
    Then, I would ask a slightly more historical question which is probably impossible to solve.
    What happened before the beginning?
  • No..Beard
    No..Beard
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Jun 2010 Posts: 3,789
    edited 31 Jan 2018, 4:05PM
    Why can people accept that everything is composed of a bewildering array of subatomic particles bound together by weird forces without requiring any direct evidence, yet feel compelled to test if a 'wet paint' sign is correct by touching the painted surface?

BTW, my pattern for KE games has always been to join them in Beta and then quit them once the pay-to-play effects get too egregious.
    VC was the last game I was playing, and I quit that months and months ago.
    KE has failed to add any new games in a long, long time.
    The only thing I do now is check OT once in while.
    Reddit has been getting most of my 'free time to screw around on the internet' allocation lately.
    I expect that there will come a time where I won't be here at all (assuming that there is a 'here' here if present trends continue).

BP ID: 1038         WC ID: 1476        VC ID: 18589     Tome ID: 3698   

• Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord

@No..Beard said:
    Why can people accept that everything is composed of a bewildering array of subatomic particles bound together by weird forces without requiring any direct evidence, yet feel compelled to test if a 'wet paint' sign is correct by touching the painted surface?

BTW, my pattern for KE games has always been to join them in Beta and then quit them once the pay-to-play effects get too egregious.
    Reddit has been getting most of my 'free time to screw around on the internet' allocation lately.
    I expect that there will come a time where I won't be here at all (assuming that there is a 'here' here if present trends continue).

That's sad to hear, Beard, but I can't blame you. I hope we'll still see you around from time to time while there's still a community to be found in OT though.

• Thane Mantis
    Thane Mantis
    Strike-force Captain
    edited 31 Jan 2018, 6:17PM
    No..Beard said:
    Well for some (such as those who painted the wall,) they would need to be sure that the paint is dry before the sign gets removed.
    No..Beard said:
    Where is this coming from? Bit of a random thing to start talking about. Also, fair reason to quit there.
    No..Beard said:
    For me it was War Commander. The treadmill became far too tiresome to put up with. They would introduce in every 3 months or so units that, I sh*t you not, would take you around 195 to max out. Every. Three. Months. You get that sh*t to deal with.

Its funny talking about it now, cause I remember seeing WrongThinker (WC's Lead Designer if you didn't know) in the WC forums very recently, talking about how their down to introducing like 1 to 2 new units every month in the monthly events as opposed to alot more. As if its some kind of big improvement to the brutal treadmill they keep the players running on. All the while totally ignoring the upgrading time aspect of it all. Guy's so full of hot air I bet if you poked him with a pin he'd burst.
    No..Beard said:

Do you think all the stuff I dug up back in this thread here will go anywhere No.. Beard? As far as I can tell, the info I have is all still valid. The KIXEYE.corp site still has the same stuff in David Scott and Paul Preece's bios, the hyperlinks still do the same stuff, etc. So do you think any of it will go anywhere or its doomed to die?

Sidenote to that: I meant to post this awhile ago on that thread, but some of you may remember a good month (and nearly a half) ago how I posted about my intentions to contact one of the former folks who worked on Shadow Forge. Well I did, and if anyone was curious if I'd found anything, just to say, Im sad to say that I didn't.

According to my now expired Premium Trial from LinkedIn which, in addition to the "privilege" of being able to send PM's, tells you who's look at you profile. So thanks to that, I know he saw mine, but he never responded. Shame too, I had hopes that I would get something good out of the conversation. Thought for sure he'd have at least been curious as to how I knew about Shadow Forge or something.
    No..Beard said:
    I spend alot of time on Reddit as well. What sub-reddits do you like looking around No.. Beard?
    No..Beard said:
    I expect that there will come a time where I won't be here at all
    I hope not. Lomo seems to have quietly bowed out of O_T (and returned to the darkness of KIXEYE games, spending time in BP) so it'd be a shame to lose another one of our members. How many consistent residents do we have left now?
    No..Beard said:
    (assuming that there is a 'here' here if present trends continue).
    Are you expecting O_T to be closed by KIXEYE, No.. Beard? Following the fallen forums of Backyard Monsters, Backyard Monsters: Unleashed, Tome: Immortal Arena and others into the void? Or are you expecting the entire company to sink, by default taking the forums with them?
  • Thane Mantis
    Thane Mantis
    Strike-force Captain
    edited 31 Jan 2018, 6:40PM
    Yard said:
    No..Beard said:

That's sad to hear, Beard, but I can't blame you. I hope we'll still see you around from time to time while there's still a community to be found in OT though.

Me too. I honestly hope that this small community continues to stick around at least on occasion as well.
    I'd really hate to see these forums became devoid of any sort of life. Its a nice place to be with good discussion to be had.
  • Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord

@Thane_Mantis said:
    I hope not. Lomo seems to have quietly bowed out of O_T (and returned to the darkness of KIXEYE games, spending time in BP) so it'd be a shame to lose another one of our members. How many consistent residents do we have left now?

There's you, myself, and Axel all posting fairly regularly.

Then posting occasionally are DreamCat, No..Beard, and Kris K.

Sorry if I missed anyone.

• Thane Mantis
    Thane Mantis
    Strike-force Captain
    edited 31 Jan 2018, 8:40PM
    Yard said:

There's you, myself, and Axel all posting fairly regularly.

Then posting occasionally are DreamCat, No..Beard, Kris K, MX36, AncientViper, Void and Master of Warring.

Sorry if I missed anyone.

Fixed that for you. Added some more names to the "Occasional Poster" category. (Though considering how much rarer their appearances are, AV, Void, and MoW may belong in a "Rare Poster" category.)
    If we had an "Almost Never" category, we'd probably have Hyperius, Lomo and possibly a few other names.
    Its a shame how things have changed, since most of the names above used to be quite consistent.
  • Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord

The period OT just had of barely any discussion or new threads probably didn't help, so I'm glad that's over and you're posting these. I would have posted something myself but I wasn't really free much due to being busier with uni.

• Thane Mantis
    Thane Mantis
    Strike-force Captain
    Yard said:

The period OT just had of barely any discussion or new threads probably didn't help, so I'm glad that's over and you're posting these.

Might please you to know I've got a new Thane_Thinks thread in the works as well. Glad to see my threads are appreciated.
    Yard said:
    I would have posted something myself but I wasn't really free much due to being busier with uni.
    Hope you can get something posted soon Yard. Hope University is going well as well.
  • Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord

Good stuff!

Uni's going fine thanks, but I'm writing my dissertation currently so it's rather hectic. It'll get worse before it gets better.

Did you ever apply to anywhere in the end, if you don't mind my asking Thane?

• Thane Mantis
    Thane Mantis
    Strike-force Captain
    edited 2 Feb 2018, 12:58AM
    Yard said:

Good stuff!

Uni's going fine thanks, but I'm writing my dissertation currently so it's rather hectic. It'll get worse before it gets better.

As in like a dissertation for a doctorate? Or is there a different kind? Good luck with it by the way.
    Yard said:

Did you ever apply to anywhere in the end, if you don't mind my asking Thane?

I had applied for a couple courses, but I kinda lost interest and wanted to push some cash in my pocket instead, so I went out looking for work. I may go back to it though after I get some solid cash and work experience in my pocket, since Im a bit short on both.
    With any luck that'll all pay off and help me out sometime down the line.
  • Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord

It's a dissertation for an undergraduate degree, you tend to do one in your final year. I'm going to do a master's degree as well though.

What kind of course were you looking to get into? Can't blame you for looking for a bit of work first though, experience is always good.

• Thane Mantis
    Thane Mantis
    Strike-force Captain
    Yard said:

It's a dissertation for an undergraduate degree, you tend to do one in your final year.

Ah, fair enough. I wasn't aware dissertations were done at other levels.
    Yard said:

I'm going to do a master's degree as well though.

Best of luck with it man. Mind if I ask what you're studying right now and what sort of Masters Degree you're hoping to get?
    Yard said:

What kind of course were you looking to get into?

Originally Game Development but my Coding Skills were/are pretty lousy. I probably wouldn't have lasted when the time came to fire up Visual Studio and get some programming done. I might pick up the coding habit again and try get better at it. If I do, I may reconsider going onto to do a Uni course with a programming element to it.
    Yard said:

Can't blame you for looking for a bit of work first though, experience is always good.

Yeah I agree. The experience is something I think that in place of a Uni qualification will be the best thing I can get.
    Plus like I said, some cash would be nice to.
  • Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord

Yeah, I think most courses have you do one, or at least something akin to one.

I'm studying History with Politics currently, and my MA will be in Global Security and Development (a fancier, more specific way of saying International Relations). I've got what amounts to an unconditional offer at my current institution so I don't have to worry about my application it anything, which is nice.

I've tried learning to code before but didn't have the patience to stick with it. I feel you. I probably would have gone into something like that had I the skill. What languages have you studied coding in?

I lack experience currently as I've not been able to find a suitable part-time job. Cash is definitely nice, I agree lol. I wouldn't know the feeling with this debt hanging over me now, but in for a penny, in for a pound.

• Thane Mantis
    Thane Mantis
    Strike-force Captain
    edited 2 Feb 2018, 6:43PM
    Yard said:

Yeah, I think most courses have you do one, or at least something akin to one.

Hmm, that's useful info, I didn't know that. Thanks.
    Yard said:

I'm studying History with Politics currently, and my MA will be in Global Security and Development (a fancier, more specific way of saying International Relations).

Enjoying it?
    Yard said:

I've got what amounts to an unconditional offer at my current institution so I don't have to worry about my application it anything, which is nice.

I can imagine. I got a conditional offer, and whilst I think my grades were ultimately up to scratch at the end, (I can't remember since it was awhiles back at this point) that was another factor in my reason to go do something other than Uni. Worried about my grades.
    Yard said:

I've tried learning to code before but didn't have the patience to stick with it. I feel you.

Yeah, alot of it is patience. My old teacher used to tell us programming is like 10% actually doing the coding, 30% debugging the bloody_ stuff you've wrote, and 60% of it compiling or something like that. Whatever it is, most of your time is spent less doing actual coding and more trying to make whatever you've written start running.

Plus you can't f_ck it up, or you're going to end up with something that won't compile. And all it takes is one typo to render the entire thing unreadable by a computer (I speak from experience lol. So many times I tried writing something that wouldn't compile because I forgot to end a line with a semi colon ; or something else.)
    Yard said:

I probably would have gone into something like that had I the skill. What languages have you studied coding in?

My first year of college had us using Gamemaker which uses the proprietary Gamemaker Language (or GML for short) if you weren't using its drag and drop interface to do most of the work for you. If I remember right, GML was actually derived from the C, or possibly C++ Programming Language. And C++ was what they had us learning in our second year.

I do actually remember some of what I was taught in those programming classes, and I think I still have my notebooks with what I learnt scribbled down inside. I hope that I might be able to use those to pick up the skill again, and this time actually get good at it, since its useful to have. Especially in today's world where its applicable to alot of stuff.
    Yard said:

I lack experience currently as I've not been able to find a suitable part-time job.

Mind if I ask, don't some Uni's have Job Centre type places where you can take up a part time job if you need some cash? Just curious, cause if they do, maybe look there? Or have you done that and you simply don't like the look of any jobs they offer?
    Yard said:

Cash is definitely nice, I agree lol. I wouldn't know the feeling with this debt hanging over me now, but in for a penny, in for a pound.

And there is another reason I gave Uni a pass lol. The debt. I know that technically Uni's are very flexible with students repaying their debts (plus if you go like 30 years they just wipe it anyways) and its not like they'll go and seize your possessions to pay it off or whatever, but regardless that's another reason I didn't want to go. I just don't like the idea of having a debt hanging over my head.
  • Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord

Yeah, I'm enjoying it thanks.

One factor to consider is that grade requirements are sometimes lowered depending on the number of successful applicants to a course. A friend of nine had their UCAS point requirements reduced massively because not many people applied (it was a teaching degree, and we have a shortage of teachers). Also depends on the university itself obviously.

A friend of mine does programming and hates C and C++. How did you find it? I agree, coding is very useful in the modern world, another reason I wish I could do it.

My uni has a careers hub thing but most of the part time jobs are gone. I tried applying over the summer as well, thinking I'd get an edge since most students wouldn't be around, but places weren't really hiring that early. I didn't want to have to bus as well, so that limited my choice. I plan on doing volunteering next summer though, so I'll gain experience from that at least.

I played up the debt aspect somewhat jokingly; it's not nice to have, but on the other hand it's the most generous terms for a loan you'll ever come across in life in regards to how it's repayed. I also get government assistance for living costs, I think nearly everyone does to at least a degree, and I get by OK. Helps I found a cheap place to live. Word of advice if you do go to uni: private housing is much better value for money.

• Thane Mantis
    Thane Mantis
    Strike-force Captain
    edited 4 Feb 2018, 2:45AM
    Yard said:

Yeah, I'm enjoying it thanks.

One factor to consider is that grade requirements are sometimes lowered depending on the number of successful applicants to a course. A friend of nine had their UCAS point requirements reduced massively because not many people applied (it was a teaching degree, and we have a shortage of teachers). Also depends on the university itself obviously.

Another thing I didn't know. Thanks.
    Yard said:

A friend of mine does programming and hates C and C++. How did you find it? I agree, coding is very useful in the modern world, another reason I wish I could do it.

I find it to be a pain in the arse. Im interested in programming, its just a nightmare to learn, because of the aforementioned perfection that it demands in your work. If I could get away with making some mistakes but still get the end result I want, I'd probably have a much better time with it lol. But alas, computers don't work that way. Give them stupid instructions, you get stupid results.

Any idea how your friend motivated themselves to learn programming in C/C++ when they do't like it?
    Maybe they know something that could help me lol.
    Yard said:

My uni has a careers hub thing but most of the part time jobs are gone. I tried applying over the summer as well, thinking I'd get an edge since most students wouldn't be around, but places weren't really hiring that early. I didn't want to have to bus as well, so that limited my choice. I plan on doing volunteering next summer though, so I'll gain experience from that at least.

Good luck with it man. Here, piece of knowledge that may be of use to you. I actually went to a Job/Careers Fair type event recently and I actually spoke to a dude who said Volunteer work can be good for progressing into an Apprenticeship. So hey, maybe similar logic could apply for you with progression and whatnot?

Like I said, good luck with it. If nothing else, like you said, its experience. Something you can slap on the CV and point to.
    Yard said:

I played up the debt aspect somewhat jokingly; it's not nice to have, but on the other hand it's the most generous terms for a loan you'll ever come across in life in regards to how it's repayed.

Yeah, I agree.  The repayment schemes are exceedingly generous. Especially the fact they'll eventually just wipe away completely. (Granted its 30 years away before that happens, and unless you find yourself living on the fringe for that time you'll probably have paid back most if not all of it by then, but still. That's a nice thing to do, especially since its what, 9K per year? And some courses last several causing that to multiply.)

Whilst its still a bit of a pain having to organise student finances and loans and **** like that (especially since they went up a few years ago) but they're still alot less painful than if you went about getting a loan some other way to pay off student debts and whatnot. But still, I'd rather avoid debt if I can. I just don't like the idea of having that hang around in the background, even if technically its nothing to worry about.
    Yard said:

I also get government assistance for living costs, I think nearly everyone does to at least a degree, and I get by OK. Helps I found a cheap place to live.

Glad to hear about it man.
    Yard said:

Word of advice if you do go to uni: private housing is much better value for money.

Cheers for the advice Yard. I must say you seem to be full of good advice in this thread Yard, lol.
    Maybe you should do a series on it here in O_T.
  • Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord

My friend stuck with it just because it was a requirement for their course. Apparently it's weird with how it handles arrays or something.

Unfortunately the volunteering I plan to do is unlikely to net me further work (it's at a record office) due to their staffing structure - apparently they're even inundated with unpaid volunteers, but I'm hoping my being a history student (therefore it being related to my degree) and my hour flexibility will get me on a volunteering scheme regardless. If not, I'll find something else.

Side note, but it's ridiculous how hard it is to even get a job at somewhere like Tesco, Lidl or KFC these days. I envy you if you've managed to find a good job somewhere.

Yeah, it's 9K a year (and the government were even thinking of increasing it more a while back). One other good thing about the student debt is that it doesn't negatively impact your credit score. One negative, though, is that interest starts accumulating at substantial rates even while you're still studying, which is a bit of a piss_take to me.

Regarding the living cost loans, the amount you get depends on the income of you and your parents, but unless that amounts to a fairly high figure (I think it was 70K) you're entitled to at least something. It's more to pay back as well, though. I get about 4K on living costs, so I'm basically paying 13K a year to be here, for three years. And I plan on doing master's degree. I must be crazy lol.

Our uni fees are actually more expensive than America's notoriously expensive colleges in most cases, we just offer loans so they're more accessible to the less wealthy.

As for offering advice, I doubt I'd be of much use for most other subjects lol. At least anything any other otters wouldn't know. If I can think of any kind of specialist knowledge on anything I'll be sure to pass it in nonetheless.

• Thane Mantis
    Thane Mantis
    Strike-force Captain
    edited 5 Feb 2018, 12:36AM
    Yard said:

My friend stuck with it just because it was a requirement for their course.

Ah, that's a shame. I was hoping he knew something I didn't that would help motivate me or help me clock programming.
    Yard said:

Apparently it's weird with how it handles arrays or something.

Yeah, I vaguely remember arrays and stuff like that. For my course we were doing a text adventure game in the vein of Zork. We had to do a grid in array if I remember right and programming the thing was a bloody_ nightmare.
    Yard said:

Unfortunately the volunteering I plan to do is unlikely to net me further work (it's at a record office) due to their staffing structure - apparently they're even inundated with unpaid volunteers, but I'm hoping my being a history student (therefore it being related to my degree) and my hour flexibility will get me on a volunteering scheme regardless. If not, I'll find something else.

That's a shame. The guy I spoke too briefly seemed to think volunteer work was good and great to have. Then again I don't know what his situation was/is, or what he was actually doing since we didn't chat for long. It probably varies depending on what volunteer work you're doing.
    Yard said:

Side note, but it's ridiculous how hard it is to even get a job at somewhere like Tesco, Lidl or KFC these days.

Yeah, the job market can be a royal pain in the arse if Im honest. I think its probably because companies just want people who know what their doing right out the gate, and have experience to back it up so they don't have to spend much time (and money) training people.
    Thinking about it now calls to mind an old meme (like this one here for example) about how "you need work experience to get work, but you can't get work experience without having worked, so you can never find work.

Hell in my job search I've even seen some bloody_ apprenticeships, you know the places which are basically intended to give people work experience (cause they sure as sh_t don't pay you much while you're there, so experience is what you primarily get out of it) and some of them have even put down (admittedly as a desired quality, but still) that you have 1 to 2 years in the profession you're dong. Example: I search IT Apprenticeships for Customer Service, they ask I have 2 years as a desired qualification. What the hell_?
    Yard said:

Yeah, it's 9K a year (and the government were even thinking of increasing it more a while back). One other good thing about the student debt is that it doesn't negatively impact your credit score.

Yeah, its good that it doesn't impact credit (otherwise I dread to think how many fresh out of un students in their early 20's would be stuck with negative credit or whatever before they've even found themselves a job. That'd be brutal.
    Though I don't like the idea of the government increasing it more. Nick Clegg already did that too us back in 2012 (when he promised they wouldn't.) We don't need to strap more debt on students who are only just finishing studying, that's bs.)
    Yard said:

One negative, though, is that interest starts accumulating at substantial rates even while you're still studying, which is a bit of a piss_take to me.

So the amount you need to pay back can actually increase as you're studying even if you've only taken out a fixed amount at the start of the year and nothing more? If so, I 100% agree, that is a piss_ take. You're debt shouldn't start creeping up in the background, it should stay fixed at whatever rates you had at the start of the year.

No wonder more people are dropping out. Who wants to deal with being stuck with £27K (minimum if you ignore any additional loans and most people do a 3 year course) before their likely in their mid 20's. Screw that.
    Yard said:

Regarding the living cost loans, the amount you get depends on the income of you and your parents, but unless that amounts to a fairly high figure (I think it was 70K) you're entitled to at least something.

Ah yeah, I think I remember hearing a bit about that when my brother was going to uni.
    Yard said:

It's more to pay back as well, though. I get about 4K on living costs, so I'm basically paying 13K a year to be here, for three years. And I plan on doing master's degree. I must be crazy lol.

Average Masters Degree takes 1.5 to 2 years study.  If we assume yours is the lower of 1.5 years, then that should be an extra £18.5K or so. You're already doing a 3 year course, so that'd be £39K debt (£27K in standard tuition costs + £12K in living costs.)
    £39K (Undergraduate Course Costs) + £18K (Masters Degree costs if you do it in 1.5 years) = £57.5K debt if I have it worked out right.

If it took you a full 2 years then it'd be £18K for the 2 years alone + an additional £8K for the living costs. £26K total. Add that to £39K undergraduate course = an eye-watering £75K total. Again though, that's just if my maths is right.
    So, yeahhhhhhh... if you don't mind me saying... I think you are crazy lol. I hope to hell you get far with that Degree at the end of it man.
    Need to max out the value for money there lol.
    Yard said:

Our uni fees are actually more expensive than America's notoriously expensive colleges in most cases, we just offer loans so they're more accessible to the less wealthy.

Im surprised we don't hear more about our own system then. Loans or no loans if that's the case you think more people would be railing the UK's system for how much debt it can leave you with. I mean, if my maths above is right, it can leave you with enough to buy a couple base model Tesla's and still maybe have some left over.
  • Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord

Sorry I'm late to reply to this one. IRL stuff has kept me busy again.

A lot of so-called apprenticeships are actually little more than scams to prevent paying a decent wage to employees - there was a lot of attention drawn to it a couple of years ago, where people were getting apprenticeships in non-skill based employment (I remember one example being a tea shop) and employers were just taking advantage of their lack of options/inexperience. Obviously these don't form the majority, but it's sad to hear about nonetheless.

Yeah, the amount we need to pay starts increasing before we finish studying. It's bull.

My master's is only one year actually, so it's not quite that bad. I think most of them are only two years if you study part-time. Still a lot of debt though.

• Thane Mantis
    Thane Mantis
    Strike-force Captain
    Yard said:

Sorry I'm late to reply to this one. IRL stuff has kept me busy again.

Understandable man.
    Yard said:

A lot of so-called apprenticeships are actually little more than scams to prevent paying a decent wage to employees - there was a lot of attention drawn to it a couple of years ago, where people were getting apprenticeships in non-skill based employment (I remember one example being a tea shop) and employers were just taking advantage of their lack of options/inexperience. Obviously these don't form the majority, but it's sad to hear about nonetheless.

Yeah it is. Its a real pisstake seeng employers take advantage of people. Hearing about this actually reminds me of something I heard about awhile back. Something similar though I think it was about internships I think it was. As you know by now, I spend alot of time in AskReddit subreddit. And one interesting question I saw asked was "What is unethical as **** but legal?" or something similar, where they asked redditors what kind of practices they've seen in use since their still permitted by law.

In amongst the various other practices I heard about, one person discussed their experience interning for a company I think it was, and then they got fired for some reason or another, and they were later told by a full time employee that they were simply terminated not due to them not being a bad employee or anything, but because it was cheaper for a company to cycle through interns and/or other temporary employees to avoid paying employee benefits. They had supposedly done this to like 9 other people beforehand. Its ridiculous.

Speaking of deceptive job practices, I think I may have sort of encountered one myself in my search for a job. I use alot of job searching sites, and on one of them, I actually saw a bunch of listings by a couple companies for Security Trainee's. I actually applied for a few of them, but when I got a call back from one of the people working there advertising these jobs, I basically just found out they were sneakily advertising training courses that can cost you £4K or so.

Instead of getting a callback for a potential job, they just asked me if they wanted them to forward me a listing for courses that would cost me money. What makes it even more stupid, is the site where I applied for these actually has a dedicated training courses section, so these listings shouldn't even be where they were. Needless to say, I didn't really bother with them after that.
    Yard said:

Yeah, the amount we need to pay starts increasing before we finish studying. It's bull.

Like I said, it shouldn't increase in the background whilst people are just trying get on with studies. That's cruel. It should be fixed at whatever it was at the start of the first year and should remain that way all the way up until the course is done. Whoever came up with the idea of increasing rates shouldn't be in charge of that sort of stuff, its plain greedy.
    Yard said:

My master's is only one year actually, so it's not quite that bad. I think most of them are only two years if you study part-time. Still a lot of debt though.

Like I said, I really hope you get good value out of it man.