Game was lagging real bad and then I found something interesting.

carl.wear.3
carl.wear.3
Unicorn Overlord
Joined May 2013 Posts: 5,281
About 1/2 an hour ago the game was lagging so bad it was unplayable. Cleared cache did nothing. Reloading game and browser did nothing. Checked memory usage. 8 gig maxed out. Hmmm.  Shut down browser and reopened it and cleared cache. Memory still maxed out. Rebooted PC; problem currently fixed.
Had a nosy on line and found some interesting notes. Seems that this update "Windows 10 v1709 " has created some memory leak issues.
  • michael.west.750
    michael.west.750
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 1,555
    I found this out as well. My laptop has a total of 4GB RAM and this game is eating up 2GB. Add loading OS, programs, and game and I'm at 80%+ of my RAM being used. The game itself starts at 600MB when loaded and it doesn't take long to climb. Once you go to world map it goes to 900MB. A few minutes later I'm over 1GB and it keeps climbing. I've seen it get to 2GB many times and over a few times. I did some research into google chrome stuff and found instructions to pull up a google task manager and it showed how to look for memory leaks. It said if the numbers there kept growing there was a memory leak. So the game has a big memory leak.  I've tried three different browsers and it's the same on each browser, so it's not the browser. I've tested other games, on all three browsers and they don't have the same memory leak issue at all. I can even play a different game on two different tabs, on two different browsers and still not use the same amount of RAM as Battle Pirates is using by itself.

This is why the game is so glitchy and people are having some many problems with the game. Huge memory leak.
  • RandySpeedo
    RandySpeedo
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Sep 2014 Posts: 249
    Tested on linux mint about 1 month ago. Memory leaks like hell.
    I think its because they are not disposing of the previous battle correctly.
    The bigger the map the larger the memory jump.
    I would try to report to CS but they would either turn around and go linux meh, or try to blame the connection/PC.
    My work around was to write a memory monitor script that flashes me when the leak gets a bit mad. So I can refresh.
    Guess crashes mean $$ and battle pirates code base is rotten, e.g., the ingame stat blocks have to be manually added to the display (wtf), so I wouldn't hold my breath on any any resources being thrown at this.
  • michael.west.750
    michael.west.750
    It'd be nice if this got passed up to the developers/programmers to see if they can do anything about it.
  • michael.west.750
    michael.west.750
    It'd be nice if this at least got acknowledged.
  • Cyanide Sandwich
    Cyanide Sandwich
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Feb 2012 Posts: 921

It'd be nice if this at least got acknowledged.
    it's the weekend, with monday being a holiday. CMs dont work on weekends (must be nice) and sometimes on holidays,

moral of the story....
    don't post game issues on fridays/the weekend, or at weird hours of the day.
    Battle Pirates
    In-game name: Cyanide Sandwich              
    Home Sector: 21                                          Ship Design Discussion Group (Open to all): https://www.facebook.com/groups/118022991724717/
    KIXEYE logic is the only logic and you ain't never logic'd till you've KIXEYE logic'd.

• FireStorm91
    FireStorm91
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Aug 2012 Posts: 808
    About 1/2 an hour ago the game was lagging so bad it was unplayable. Cleared cache did nothing. Reloading game and browser did nothing. Checked memory usage. 8 gig maxed out. Hmmm.  Shut down browser and reopened it and cleared cache. Memory still maxed out. Rebooted PC; problem currently fixed.
    Had a nosy on line and found some interesting notes. Seems that this update "Windows 10 v1709 " has created some memory leak issues.
    Good info, I will pass this out to a few people. What browser were you using at the time? I know Chrome was always ram hungry, but not "memory leak" bad.

I didn't notice a thing, I am sticking to Windows 8.1, and have 32gb of ram (I need it for stuff other than this game). But I have plenty of experience with memory leaks (couple Alpha games I have played in the past) and I know they can be fun to find.
    Been playing too long
  • carl.wear.3
    carl.wear.3
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined May 2013 Posts: 5,281
    Good info, I will pass this out to a few people. What browser were you using at the time? I know Chrome was always ram hungry, but not "memory leak" bad.

I didn't notice a thing, I am sticking to Windows 8.1, and have 32gb of ram (I need it for stuff other than this game). But I have plenty of experience with memory leaks (couple Alpha games I have played in the past) and I know they can be fun to find.
    Google Chrome.
    From what I was reading, I got the impression alot of the problem arise as windows 10 gets more updates; it creates more issues with memory leaks on older programs.  
  • iwrk4dedpr
    iwrk4dedpr
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Aug 2011 Posts: 887
    TBH I've always thought Battle Pirates was sucky at memory management.  I've watched the memory usage for years on my PC when playing.  Yup if I refreshed it would drop a gig .... if I only had 2 tabs open a static personal web page at no more than 3kb and BP and closed the browser completely I could see drops of up to 3GB.

Started playing back when with FireFox ( then it got bloated with all the crap you could add to it ) seen something about clearing cache ad nauseum in forums.  So, a private session is supposed to dump the cache on exit, so .... Because I got fed up with Firefox went to Chrome yeah mostly the same browser things seemed to improve then .... again memory usage became rampant again.  So decided ok .. USE TORCH ONLY FOR BP AND ONLY IN PRIVATE MODE.  Still seem to have issues.  Also thought maybe if ad blocker would not let me load images maybe that would help.  Don't feel that it does.

I don't know what to think I run 12g memory on my laptop ... and I do ok most of the time.  Sometimes tho .... Like rolling crews .... OMG It just bogs the "F" down.  

Does Kix know?  Problem's been around for years.  Still not fixed .... Could be issue with the core of the game or ... well who knows .... but because it's been around this long .... Must not affect the bottom line bad enough to have them spend time/money doing code audits.
  • FireStorm91
    FireStorm91
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Aug 2012 Posts: 808

Google Chrome.
    From what I was reading, I got the impression alot of the problem arise as windows 10 gets more updates; it creates more issues with memory leaks on older programs.  
    A lot of it has to do with Meltdown and Spectre. Older programs will need to be updated ASAP.
    Been playing too long
  • BattlePirate_BlackShark
    BattlePirate_BlackShark
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Sep 2011 Posts: 1,467
    I am playing on a 10 years old windows XP PC and i am getting the same memory overload from the flashplayer.
    Sometimes, i only need to change a ship in a fleet and the rendering from the little pics in the slide from the dock causes massive memory.
    The flashplayer on a windows XP PC doesnt get support since a long time, also the windows XP program doesn´t get updates,
    so its probably an other problem.

Since 3-4 months, it is more and more memory in shorter time on the flashplayer plugin-container.exe.
    I guess, it has something to do with the OP10 upgrade...or it was something at the time around the OP10.
    I am trying to autoing as much i can, to slowing down the time, i have to refresh the game.
    BlackShark        Born in Sector 429

Decoding Pirateslangword "F.A.R.M." = Foolish Amateur Reaches Midgame
  • Carlo DeNauw
    Carlo DeNauw
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Aug 2012 Posts: 4,035
    Memory leakage has been a problem again starting since Bounty 1. Someday they may address it...
    "I'll admit- I avoid the forums, it's where motivation goes to die."
    -Unknown Game Developer... or is it?