Happy New Year!

Axel L
Axel L
Unicorn Overlord
Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 6,580
edited 31 Dec 2017, 11:06PM
2017 has just ended or is just about to end at this time so I decided to make this thread. Firstly, thanks for this wonderful and I have actually surprisingly got about 4,000 forum posts in since February in 2017 which is totally impressive in my mind. One of the most interesting posts for 2017 is probably the post about letter openers which got accidentally bumped by someone and the poll which CM Sulaco created which got trolled so badly because he replaced the Bacon option with Taco.

Image result for firework animated gif

Here is a extra big thanks to some forum contributors in 2017.
  • lomolife1174
  • Thane_Mantis
  • Yard
  • DreamCat
  • MX36
  • No..Beard
  • Initial_Degeneration
  • DarkSkinNinja
  • CM Chris
Video games don't cause violence, lag does.
  • Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Jul 2017 Posts: 394
    edited 31 Dec 2017, 11:23PM
    I think you're at least an hour early Axel, at least according to the posts creation time.

Happy New Year though...
  • lomolife1174
    lomolife1174
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Sep 2014 Posts: 9,051
    I think you're at least an hour early Axel, at least according to the posts creation time.

Happy New Year though...
    Swedish time is an hour ahead of English time, so for Axel it's already 2018. 
  • Axel L
    Axel L
    Unicorn Overlord

Happy New Year though...
    I'm sorry to say that you will have to move to a country that uses the timezone CET in order to achieve full accuracy. I don't know who invented timezones but it's actually one of the most confusing things ever created.
  • Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Skilled Warrior
    edited 1 Jan 2018, 12:01AM
    Axel L said:

Happy New Year though...
    I'm sorry to say that you will have to move to a country that uses the timezone CET in order to achieve full accuracy.
    I did actually check and saw that Sweden is ahead of the UK, Im just messing with you a bit lol, since here its still before 2017 (3 minutes to go at the time of me posting this.)
    Axel L said:
    I don't know who invented timezones but it's actually one of the most confusing things ever created.
    I agree. If there was ever something that never failed to confuse the hell_ out me, its timezones. Fun Fact: Did you know Australia has 5 timezones? Look here to observe the madness that is "Time in Australia." And if that's not enough confusion for you, have a look at Arizona, which has timezones within its timezones.

Arizona's timezone madness has even ascended to some limited extent into memedom.
    Google "arizona daylight savings meme" if you want to see what I mean lol.
  • Axel L
    Axel L
    Unicorn Overlord
    Axel L said:

Happy New Year though...
    I'm sorry to say that you will have to move to a country that uses the timezone CET in order to achieve full accuracy.
    I did actually check and saw that Sweden is ahead of the UK, Im just messing with you a bit lol, since here its still before 2017 (3 minutes to go at the time of me posting this.)
    Axel L said:
    I don't know who invented timezones but it's actually one of the most confusing things ever created.
    I agree. If there was ever something that never failed to confuse the hell_ out me, its timezones.
    Fun Fact: Did you know Australia has 5 timezones? Look here to observe the madness that is "Time in Australia."
    And if that's not enough confusion for you, have a look at Arizona, which has timezones WITHIN other timezones.
    Arizona's timezone madness has even ascended to some limited extent into memedom. Google "arizona daylight savings meme" if you want to see what the internet has come up with lol.
    I do also highly recommend checking the video made by Tom Scott about timezones as it explains every issue with timezones.

• Breaking Barriers
    Breaking Barriers
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Oct 2013 Posts: 593
    Nice post & yep some great contributors.

Happy New Years & may your new year be fun, safe & filled with all you put your heart into. 
    Be Better Than Yesterday & Greater Than The Day Before That. Knowledge Is Power. 
    PAL Admin

• Axel L
    Axel L
    Unicorn Overlord
    edited 1 Jan 2018, 12:18AM
    Nice post & yep some great contributors.

Happy New Years & may your new year be fun, safe & filled with all you put your heart into. 
    I can say that some of them that I have listed cannot be forgotten like Thane mainly because of his rulebook. CM Chris did also get listed just because of one of his forum comments.

@CM Chris said:
    UPDATE: Defensive Wave Rule Change! 

Defensive Waves are no longer single attempt. You can choose to Skip or Defend before starting those waves. If you choose to Defend each time, you will need to be victorious to proceed.

(Briefing has been updated)

Oh nice an actual update or a kind of response. Hey @CM Chris what I want to know is if I click Defend will it be atrition based. Were I can eventually wear down the attacking force or am I just fu.ck.ed. kinda of an end of event kind of deal.

Enemy force will be replenished in full, you cannot wear them down over time.

As a heads up, since you seem to be getting a little frustrated, I typically don't answer questions that can be answered by playing the game. We provide the rails - it's up to you to drive the train.
  • Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Nov 2010 Posts: 11,835

Happy new year (again)!

I agree, timezones are a pain. I approve of the Tom Scott video though, I've been watching his channel a lot recently.

• Axel L
    Axel L
    Unicorn Overlord
    Yard said:

Happy new year (again)!

I agree, timezones are a pain. I approve of the Tom Scott video though, I've been watching his channel a lot recently.

Tom Scott is at least amazing at informative speaking and I would guess that he works with being some form of science communicator. However, there are by far way too many great YouTubers to choose from when it comes to informative science videos like Vsauce, Tom Scott, Veritasium and ect.
  • No..Beard
    No..Beard
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Jun 2010 Posts: 3,769
    edited 2 Jan 2018, 3:55PM
    Belated, but I was mostly computer free over the holidays...

For Axel:
    Image result for swedish happy new year

For Everyone Else:
    Image result for moose new year

About those time zones:
    Try living in a country with 6 official time zones and a (province by province / town by town) freedom to decide if and when they are switching from Standard to Daylight and back.

For work just now, I just finished a quick conference call (with only 5 people total), with local meeting start times of
    • 8:00 a.m.
    • 9:00 a.m.
    • 10:00 a.m.
    • 11:30 a.m. 

Yes, one of our time zones is only 30 minutes difference from the one next door to it.

Image result for time zones funny

BP ID: 1038         WC ID: 1476        VC ID: 18589     Tome ID: 3698   

• Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord

@Axel L said:
    Yard said:

Happy new year (again)!

Tom Scott is at least amazing at informative speaking and I would guess that he works with being some form of science communicator. However, there are by far way too many great YouTubers to choose from when it comes to informative science videos like Vsauce, Tom Scott, Veritasium and ect.

Too true, we've been spoilt for choice for informative videos lately in YouTube.

Sorry to hear about your timezone woes, No..Beard, hope you enjoyed the holidays though.

• Axel L
    Axel L
    Unicorn Overlord
    Yard said:

@Axel L said:
    Yard said:

Happy new year (again)!

Too true, we've been spoilt for choice for informative videos lately in YouTube.

Sorry to hear about your timezone woes, No..Beard, hope you enjoyed the holidays though.

This issue will probably be solves after few centuries when someone comes up that a better standard is needed.
  • Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord

@Axel L said:
    Yard said:

@Axel L said:

Yard said:

Happy new year (again)!

This issue will probably be solves after few centuries when someone comes up that a better standard is needed.

I propose "Yard time". It involves holding up a pineapple and calculating the time based on the position of its shadow.

• Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Skilled Warrior
    Yard said:

@Axel L said:

The issue will probably be solves after few centuries when someone comes up that a better standard is needed.

I propose "Yard time". It involves holding up a pineapple and calculating the time based on the position of its shadow.

So basically using a Pineapple as a sundial.
    Sounds great, when do we start?
  • No..Beard
    No..Beard
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Jun 2010 Posts: 3,769
    Sundial Cats

Sorry, another OT member already cracked that technology

BP ID: 1038         WC ID: 1476        VC ID: 18589     Tome ID: 3698   

• Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Skilled Warrior
    No..Beard said:
    Sundial Cats
    Sorry, another OT member already cracked that technology
    I didn't know DreamCat was in the business of time pieces, lol.
  • Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord

@Thane_Mantis said:
    Yard said:

@Axel L said:

The issue will probably be solves after few centuries when someone comes up that a better standard is needed.

We start at 2pmYT tomorrow. Ignore the cat thing, no one in the time business takes that seriously.

• Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Skilled Warrior
    Yard said:

@Thane_Mantis said:
    Yard said:

@Axel L said:

We start at 2pmYT tomorrow. Ignore the cat thing, no one in the time business takes that seriously.

OK, how does that convert into BST? I can't start operating on YT until I know where it starts in BST.
  • Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord

@Thane_Mantis said:
    Yard said:

@Thane_Mantis said:

Yard said:

@Axel L said:

OK, how does that convert into BST? I can't start operating on YT until I know where it starts in BST.

I probably should have worked out the conversions before universally changing to YT. Oops.