Star Wars: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread *SPOILERS*

DreamCat
DreamCat
Unicorn Overlord
Joined Apr 2013 Posts: 2,966
We need to talk about this movie. Like right now. For those of you who have seen it, what are your thoughts? Did you like it? Why? Where do you see this trilogy heading? DISCUSS. Also, remember to use spoiler tags on spoiler content. (Mainly I want to hear people's thoughts on Rey's parentage. Do you like her coming from two nobodies? Why?)

• Axel L
    Axel L
    WC Mod
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 10,460
    I'm sorry to tell that I haven't bothered to watch it yet. Are the most recent Star Wars Movie even worth watching at this time?

Finally, it's most likely that I will stick with watching Kenny Starfighter as it's a masterpiece.

Video games don't cause violence, lag does.
  • DreamCat
    DreamCat
    Unicorn Overlord
    I'd say the new movies are worth watching. Just go in with the understanding that the worst thing that can happen is you not liking it and the best thing that can happen is you like it. These movies won't revolutionize your understanding or expectations of media, nor will they ruin how you feel about any other movies. They're just movies, just entertainment. Treating Star Wars as anything else is most people's first mistake.
  • Axel L
    Axel L
    WC Mod
    DreamCat said:
    I'd say the new movies are worth watching. Just go in with the understanding that the worst thing that can happen is you not liking it and the best thing that can happen is you like it. These movies won't revolutionize your understanding or expectations of media, nor will they ruin how you feel about any other movies. They're just movies, just entertainment. Treating Star Wars as anything else is most people's first mistake.
    I can at least say that I saw the 7th episode and it was at least worth watching and I have to praise them for the editing as it looked slightly too real.
  • Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Nov 2010 Posts: 11,948

I liked the visuals and generally speaking liked the characters. I thought the plot, however, was convoluted and at times pointless and illogical, and character motivations seemed to change on a dime. I did like the twist with Snoke, though, that was an interesting and original direction to go, but ultimately there was almost no action, and this would have been forgivable only if the sections dedicated to character development were handled better than they were.

As for Rey's parents, I liked that they were nobodies; not everyone is important, and the "supposedly dead parent was _ important character all along" is cliche at this point.

• DreamCat
    DreamCat
    Unicorn Overlord
    Yard said:

I liked the visuals and generally speaking liked the characters. I thought the plot, however, was convoluted and at times pointless and illogical, and character motivations seemed to change on a dime. I did like the twist with Snoke, though, that was an interesting and original direction to go, but ultimately there was almost no action, and this would have been forgivable only if the sections dedicated to character development were handled better than they were.

As for Rey's parents, I liked that they were nobodies; not everyone is important, and the "supposedly dead parent was _ important character all along" is cliche at this point.

I think that's a fair assessment Yard. I definitely agree on the parentage of Rey. I'm not sure who you're referring to on the character motivations though. Can you elaborate?

• Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord

@DreamCat said:
    Yard said:

I think that's a fair assessment Yard. I definitely agree on the parentage of Rey. I'm not sure who you're referring to on the character motivations though. Can you elaborate?

Luke being a **** was sort of hard to justify, and he goes from that to pretty much accepting Ray almost instantaneously. I was mainly thinking of the ship captain (Leia's temporary replacement) though; if she had explained her plan, which she had no reason not to, the whole pointless subplot with Finn and Rose would have been avoided. She goes from being this stoic **** to a hero in seconds just because we learn of a motivation she had no reason not to share.

• Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord

Dee-eye-see-kay was the word censored both times.

• DreamCat
    DreamCat
    Unicorn Overlord
    Yard said:

@DreamCat said:
    Yard said:

Luke being a **** was sort of hard to justify, and he goes from that to pretty much accepting Ray almost instantaneously. I was mainly thinking of the ship captain (Leia's temporary replacement) though; if she had explained her plan, which she had no reason not to, the whole pointless subplot with Finn and Rose would have been avoided. She goes from being this stoic **** to a hero in seconds just because we learn of a motivation she had no reason not to share.

Apparently, everything Holdo did was because she was under the impression that there was had to be a mole on their ship feeding information to the First Order, because that was the most logical way the FO could be tracking them through hyperspace. She was telling people her plan, otherwise nobody would have known to prepare the escape ships, but the people she told were people who needed to be directly involved. She had to keep the plan as secretive as possible to give it the best chance of not being relaying to the FO. Of course she was wrong and there was no mole, but considering the circumstance, it was actually a fairly good leadership decision. Poe wasn't involved in preparing those ships, so he didn't need to know. 

My problem with it isn't what or why she did it, but more on how it's presented. For the viewers, something could have been done visually to tip them off that Holdo actually had a plan that she was sharing with certain crew members and wasn't just giving up. Instead, the audience only gets the situation from Poe's limited point of view. If that's what Rian Johnson intended, I get it. It really helps the audience to connect to Poe as they're literally seeing what he sees and feeling how he feels, but in the grand scheme of the movie it leaves some things too vague to be considering successful.

Overall I give the Holdo arc a C+ rating. She was a good character and good leader who made good, level-headed decisions in a seemingly impossible situation, but was presented in a way that the viewer doesn't connect to her or understand what she's doing because there's not enough there in the finished product to communicate the why of it all.
  • Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord

OK, that's a logical explanation. I don't recall that being mentioned on screen even in passing though, unless I just missed it somehow.

• DreamCat
    DreamCat
    Unicorn Overlord
    Yard said:

OK, that's a logical explanation. I don't recall that being mentioned on screen even in passing though, unless I just missed it somehow.

That's what I'm talking about. It WASN'T mentioned on screen even in passing. What I noticed a lot of in the movie was that Rian Johnson rode a fine line between being subtle and letting viewers come to realizations on their own through clever hints and clues and being so vague that things don't connect how they should and come off as being poorly considered. It shows too. When the subtle touches worked, they worked BEAUTIFULLY, and when they didn't, it was just more than confusing.
  • DreamCat
    DreamCat
    Unicorn Overlord

I should probably mention a moment that I thought was well done with sufficient hints and clues after going into length about one that wasn’t.

When Rey fell into the Dark Side ****, she found the mirror and asked it who her parents were. What happens is two shadowy human-shaped figures come forward out of the darkness, converge, form a mirror image of Rey, and immediately vanish. If that’s not the exact backstory that Rey and Kylo discuss later on, I don’t know what is. First off, the shady, shadowy figures represent Rey’s parents; obscure shady nobodies who were willing to sell a child for some things. Second, the two figures converging is just straight up S.E.X. Rey’s parents conceiving her. Not much else to say there. Third, Rey appearing in full reflection after the figures converge is her own emergence as an important figure out of an origin of obscurity. Fourth, the figures disappearing after converging represents how they abandoned her as a small child on Jakku and disappeared back into obscurity to die somewhere.

It’s masterful visual storytelling. Rey asked the Dark Side **** to show her parents, and that’s exactly what it did. She didn’t get duped or scammed. She got answers. So did the audience. It was all there before our eyes.

• DreamCat
    DreamCat
    Unicorn Overlord

Oh that’s adorable. The forum filter censors “b.u.t.t.h.o.l.e.”

• Axel L
    Axel L
    WC Mod
    DreamCat said:

Keep in mind that there is a way to bypass the forum auto censorship system as long as you have you message wall set to public as the message wall isn't as strict when it comes to censoring words.

Time to see if one of the more obscure measuring units for volume called "buttload" are censored.
  • Thane Mantis
    Thane Mantis
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Jul 2017 Posts: 653
    DreamCat said:

And again the forums are showing a bizarre lack of priority over what to censor.
    Dunno if you've noticed this, but interestingly enough the forums don't censor the word crap.
  • Axel L
    Axel L
    WC Mod
    DreamCat said:

And again the forums are showing a bizarre lack of priority over what to censor.
    Dunno if you've noticed this, but interestingly enough the forums don't censor the word crap.
    <sarcasm> I suggest not giving Harbin any good ideas as we all know his plans for 2018. </sarcasm>

Seriously, it may have been an oversight but at least we can swear with 1 word without being censored.
  • Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord

This isn't really a new discussion point, just an observation, but everyone I've spoken to about it in real life has broadly agreed with a lot of the criticisms here. I do wonder how it will hold up in terms of image once the last one comes out.

Also, maybe it's just me, but I hadn't heard they'd already confirmed another trilogy until recently. Anyone else?

• No..Beard
    No..Beard
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Jun 2010 Posts: 3,789
    It is the Disney cashcow-milking system.

They paid a lot of money for the Franchise.

OF COURSE there will be at least one more trilogy of some kind.

Star Wars Trivia:

At the time they were cast for Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, neither Mark Hamill nor Harrison Ford had ever seen a Star Wars Movie, or read a Star Wars book!

Image result for luke han confused

BP ID: 1038         WC ID: 1476        VC ID: 18589     Tome ID: 3698   

• Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord

Shocking! And with so much material available back then...

In all seriousness, it seems Hamill doesn't much like the new films.