YouTube Rewind, 2017 - Thoughts?

Thane Mantis
Thane Mantis
Strike-force Captain
Joined Jul 2017 Posts: 653
edited 9 Dec 2017, 12:14AM
So the YouTube Rewind dropped a couple days ago. I was wondering what you guys all thought of it? Do you think its gotten better or worse compared to last years? Are they getting better or worse overall and have they done either over the past few years?
Were you able to recognise most of the faces they brought in for this years?
Thoughts everyone?
  • Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Nov 2010 Posts: 11,948

I've only seen I Hate Everything's take on it and broadly agree. Don't really recognise anyone, and it all looks a bit fake and cosmopolitan.

• DreamCat
    DreamCat
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Apr 2013 Posts: 2,966
    There was one good thing I found in it. For the first time, Stephanie Patrick aka. the wife of MatPat (the Game Theory guy)  got invited for the rewind. Considering that she's been working on and off screen with him for 6 years now on that channel, I say it's deserved that she's in the rewind on the year that their live-streaming channel hits 1 million subs. Too bad they were on screen for 0.5 seconds.

Other than Steph, TheOdd1sOut getting recognized by Youtube, and TomSka's annual appearance, the Rewind was total out-of-touch garbage and can burn. Part of it being out of touch isn't on Youtube though IMO. Youtube trends move too quickly to try to reference what was popular in January here in December and have it come out relatable or remotely amusing.

Also, Youtube never touches on what was ACTUALLY popular when they try to. If they did, the Bee Movie trailer or We Are Number One would have played every time a Paul brother came on screen. Or were those last year's memes? I can't rememeber anymore.
  • Thane Mantis
    Thane Mantis
    Strike-force Captain
    edited 10 Dec 2017, 2:44AM
    Yard said:

I've only seen I Hate Everything's take on it and broadly agree. Don't really recognise anyone, and it all looks a bit fake and cosmopolitan.

Had to rewatch IHE's take on it, but now that I have I also find myself agreeing with him. It does look pretty fake, and rather forced to be honest. Especially that whole section where everyone joins hands, whilst some voice clips talk about the real life and the state of the world, and then how the video merrily dips back into the memes and whatnot. He was dead on about how insincere that seemed.

Thinking about it, I wouldn't be surprised part of the reason the video was so bad was probably in part because this year has been, to be straight up honest, a pretty **** one for YouTube really. You've had like 2 "Apocalypses" and a shedload of drama. So its not like there's a whole lot one could sincerely celebrate on YouTube this year really.

I watched a couple other YouTubers take on it, including PewDiePie whom everyone was kinda shocked wasn't in this years rewind (personally I was only half surprised, what about you Yard?) and I remember him mentioning that the Rewinds are kinda just "ads" for YouTube itself, and I sort of agree. They are kinda just meant to show off the YouTube community. Shame there was practically nothing to show off this year.

Also, on your point on recognising people, I agree with that too. Discounting the animators they put in the credits, which was kind of a **** thing for YouTube to do (I'll have more to say about that later) I found myself only able to recognise around 9 people in the video, and 3 of those 9 I only recognised because they were starting drama and trouble with others in the community.

AkilahObviously cause she's suing Sargon of Akkad for $150K dollars because he nicked 90 seconds out of one of her videos (<sarcasm> that's not childish at all </sarcasm>) and the Paul brothers because those morons started alot of that aforementioned drama. How and why they got spots in the video was beyond me, considering how their both two big detriments to the community if you ask me. To be honest at this point I wonder if one of the few pre-requisites for being featured in a Rewind at this point is having alot of subscribers, since it doesn't seem like you had to have done anything meaningful or noteworthy to get featured. Otherwise I doubt those aforementioned three or alot of others would have been in it.
    DreamCat said:
    There was one good thing I found in it. For the first time, Stephanie Patrick aka. the wife of MatPat (the Game Theory guy)  got invited for the rewind. Considering that she's been working on and off screen with him for 6 years now on that channel, I say it's deserved that she's in the rewind on the year that their live-streaming channel hits 1 million subs. Too bad they were on screen for 0.5 seconds.
    I agree. I missed her spot because of that aforementioned 0.5 second callout, but I'll go back and watch it to see if I can spot her and MatPat. Possibly the only other good thing I found was the segment they gave to soe of YouTubes best known animators and channels centred around/prominently featuring cartoons. Extra Credits, TheOdds1sOut as you mentioned, and JaidenAnimations, as well as a few others.

Considering how hard it is to succeed in the genre of animation on YouTube due to the way the algorithms work, it was nice to see the animators getting the respect they deserve for once. Its sad he passed away in general, but its a particular shame now that since animators are getting more successful on YouTube and getting recognition that Edd from EddsWorld never lived so they could have hopefully gotten a spot. EddsWorld was a great animation series from a few years back.

It was also a **** shame they opted to put them in at the end though in the credits sequence, showcasing them whilst also listing out the horde of other people they also brought in for this otherwise totally crap video, and also at the point where its possibly, and likely, that most folk would tune out of the video and go watch something else (assuming they didn't leave much earlier due to how bad it is.)
    DreamCat said:
    Other than Steph, TheOdd1sOut getting recognized by Youtube, and TomSka's annual appearance, the Rewind was total out-of-touch garbage and can burn. Part of it being out of touch isn't on Youtube though IMO. Youtube trends move too quickly to try to reference what was popular in January here in December and have it come out relatable or remotely amusing.
    Yeah, its a bit of a shame. YouTube is one hell_ of a treadmill so keeping up with it all is a monumental task even for a company like Google and YouTube. At the same time though, I can't help but wonder what exactly YouTube were thinking for this video. There are alot of moments that are unrecognisable compared to some of the previous videos, and Im personally left wondering where the hell_ they came from. Like, the paint/jelly fight section. What was that? Was that a thing this year? When did that happen?

Like seriously, I actually went back to the previous YT rewinds from 2013 and onwards after watcing YT Rewind 2017, and there were plenty of moments I could recall being big for those years. Wrecking Ball and the Harlem Shake for 2013, Turn down for What and Spiderdog for 2014, Evolution of Dance and The Inspirational Speech for 2015, the "Famous" music video and Bottle Flip Challenge for 2016, (and many other trends all these videos reference besides these ones.)

But for this year I really couldn't identify much beyond the various music video references, (which seem to become more prominent as the years pass, at least to me) Like, the guys with the owl mask and smiley faced cylinder head... thing? Is that a reference to something? I have no idea. That aforementioned paint/jelly fight. What was that? KSI rewinding a train with a fidget spinner? Was a train significant to some aspect of YouTube this year? That section with the terrible blue screen. Was that also a thing?

Nothing in that video makes sense, and you're right in that it can burn.
    DreamCat said:
    Also, Youtube never touches on what was ACTUALLY popular when they try to. If they did, the Bee Movie trailer or We Are Number One would have played every time a Paul brother came on screen. Or were those last year's memes? I can't rememeber anymore.
    Pretty sure those were this years.
  • Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord

Agree with you totally about the animators. And PewDiePie probably wasn't in it because of all the drama he has started, and, correct me if I'm wrong, hasn't he been critical of YouTube as a platform for a while now?

• Thane Mantis
    Thane Mantis
    Strike-force Captain
    Yard said:

Agree with you totally about the animators. And PewDiePie probably wasn't in it because of all the drama he has started, and, correct me if I'm wrong, hasn't he been critical of YouTube as a platform for a while now?

Hmm, dunno about him being critical of the platform, but I do know about all the drama he started. Still, if YouTube are using that as reasoning to not invite him, then by that logic AkilahObviously, and both the Paul Brothers (or at the very least that idiot Jake) shouldn't be there either. They've done just as much bad as PewDiePie, except they seem to be more deliberate.

As for critical of the platform, Philip DeFranco has been doing that for a long time and he's also in the video (for the first time actually too.) Personally though Im glad to see him as part of it, since he's not a bad guy and has a good channel, unlike the Paul brothers. Either way, if drama and criticism are why PewDiePie never made it into the Rewind, then YouTube seem to be rather selective at the end with who they let in or cut out.
  • Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord

I was thinking more along the lines of him supposedly making racist jokes in the past that even made it to online news sites. He's probably too controversial in their eyes after that kind if attention. Not sure if that stuff was this year or not though.

• Thane Mantis
    Thane Mantis
    Strike-force Captain
    edited 11 Dec 2017, 6:39PM
    Yard said:

I was thinking more along the lines of him supposedly making racist jokes in the past that even made it to online news sites. He's probably too controversial in their eyes after that kind if attention. Not sure if that stuff was this year or not though.

Yeah, that was this year. Mid-February specifically. I remember that disaster. What on earth was PewDiePie thinking I wonder.
    Also, on your point about PewDiePie making racist jokes which may be why he was excluded, well again, by that logic then Jake Paul should definitely be out. Did you not hear what he did to the Martinez twins?

According to them, apparently Paul also made racist "jokes" towards them as well referring to them as "beaners" which is a racist term for Mexicans, (its worth noting the Martinez twins are Spanish) and using that to make a play on words, referring to fans of them as "martiners" as well doing several other sh*tty things to them as well. Treating them like second class citizens, pretending to not understand them despite them having the capacity to speak enough English to make themselves understood, and so on.

So yeah. All in all, Jake Paul has landed himself in just as much controversy if not potentially more than PewDiePie over the last year, from the accusations of racism and bullying, to disrupting his local area by causing fans to swarm to his house, tearing up and down the street on his motorbike, setting furniture on fire in his pool, dabbing, and many other things aside (seriously, there is like a laundry list of awful, terrible and stupid things he's done at this point) so why YouTube may potentially see PewDiePie as too controversial and not Jake Paul and potentially his brother seems very unusual (and selective if you ask me) to say the least.
  • Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord

I hadn't heard about any of that. I don't really follow JP news, I've never even seen a video by him.

Also, this:

@Thane_Mantis said:
    dabbing

In between all the other stuff did make me chuckle. If only dabbing were criminal.

• Thane Mantis
    Thane Mantis
    Strike-force Captain
    Yard said:

I hadn't heard about any of that. I don't really follow JP news, I've never even seen a video by him.

Yeah, I don't make any real effort to intentionally keep up with news surrounding that idiot either to be honest. But I do watch alot of Philip DeFranco's videos as their a decent way to keep up with news, so inevitably Jake Paul crops up in amongst the rest of it all.
    Yard said:
    Also, this:

dabbing

In between all the other stuff did make me chuckle. If only dabbing were criminal.

Indeed. It would make the world such a better place...
  • Thane Mantis
    Thane Mantis
    Strike-force Captain
    edited 18 Dec 2017, 5:28PM
    DreamCat said:
    Other than Steph, TheOdd1sOut getting recognized by Youtube, and TomSka's annual appearance, the Rewind was total out-of-touch garbage and can burn.
    Speaking of out of touch garbage that can burn, that smug asshat Ajit Pie made this recently...

Oh, and this.

Thoughts everyone?