100 years of Finland

Axel L
Axel L
Unicorn Overlord
Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 6,162
edited 6 Dec 2017, 11:29AM
Today, it's time to take a moment and celebrate the 100 year anniversary for Finland This is because Finland got declared as an independent country instead of being a part of Russia 100 years ago.

To celebrate this moment, I decided to make this thread and to post a image of there flag and a photo of the phone which got famous on the internet for being nearly indestructible.

Video games don't cause violence, lag does.
  • Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Nov 2010 Posts: 11,801

I've only heard positive things about Finland as a whole. Would be nice to visit some day.

• Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Jul 2017 Posts: 324
    Axel L said:
    Today, it's time to take a moment and celebrate the 100 year anniversary for Finland This is because Finland got declared as an independent country instead of being a part of Russia 100 years ago.

To celebrate this moment, I decided to make this thread and to post a image of there flag and a photo of the phone which got famous on the internet for being nearly indestructible.

Fun Fact about that infamous phone. Did you know that a company called HMD Global has recently revived the Nokia brand?
    4 new retro phones (styled after that infamous 3310 you've posted a pic of) and 4 new android phones. Thoughts on how they'll do?
  • Axel L
    Axel L
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 6,162
    Axel L said:

Fun Fact about that infamous phone. Did you know that a company called HMD Global has recently revived the Nokia brand?
    4 new retro phones (styled after that infamous 3310 you've posted a pic of) and 4 new android phones. Thoughts on how they'll do?
    There is still a slime chance for Nokia to grow up and be one of the leading phone companies in northern Europe as long as the focus on being different compared to the competing companies. Oe of the aspects they could win a lot on is actually to focus on making more long lasting phones compared to the competing companies. Most of the moderns global phone companies usually focus on replacing the current phone in approximately 1 year with a new.
    Video games don't cause violence, lag does.
  • Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Jul 2017 Posts: 324
    edited 7 Dec 2017, 6:21PM
    Axel L said:
    Axel L said:

There is still a slime chance for Nokia to grow up and be one of the leading phone companies in northern Europe as long as the focus on being different compared to the competing companies. Oe of the aspects they could win a lot on is actually to focus on making more long lasting phones compared to the competing companies. Most of the moderns global phone companies usually focus on replacing the current phone in approximately 1 year with a new.
    Hmm, perhaps. Maybe they could support Android on their phones for longer compared to other companies as well.
    The typical consensus I believe amongst phone developers is your Android Phone gets 2 years OS Updates, 3 years Security, (except for Google and their Pixels which get 3 year support for both instead) so if they worked to give an extra year or, heck maybe even twos, support for OS and Security Updates I expect that would attract alot of interest to the company.

I do know they already have a couple features for their phones that sort of help them standout. For example, their implementation of stock Android which is relatively uncommon amongst other manufacturers. They also have that "bothie" mode to let people take pics and videos with the front and back camera's. But beyond that, they don't have alot to help set themselves apart from the rest of the crowd.

You know on the topic about this, I was actually on the Nokia Community Forums awhile ago and also saw a person suggest they provide a focus on security to help them stand out as well compared to their competition, which doesn't sound like a bad idea. I don't think many companies in the Android space do seem to put a high value on security beyond implementing a few new bio-metric techniques (face and iris scanning for example) and a secure folder (like what Samsung does with their KNOX programs I believe.) 

Personally, Im the kind of guy who values security and privacy alot so if they brought that in force to their phones I would definitely stick with the brand. In this day and age where security is a huge concern, we need companies to start working towards better security for their users I think, so stuff like this would.