Scourge Undersea Web Explanation

CM Major_Rampage
CM Major_Rampage
KIXEYE Community Manager
Joined Jul 2017 Posts: 514
edited 5 Dec 2017, 1:40AM
Howdy Folks,

There has been some confusion about the Scourge Undersea Web.  Some of this is due to the early release we didn't have full messaging prepared for this new feature.  Our Lead Game Designer did a write up about this last night and I am going to share it here.

We've shipped our first "sandtrap"-style Channel Defense Trap: The Scourge Undersea Web! 

A sandtrap is not a wall, it's more of a minefield. You can tear down a wall, and the wall is gone. The benefit of a sandtrap is you can't tear one of those down, no matter how much you shoot it, it's still there.

So what is different with a sandtrap?

A wall blocks ships from passing by. It also may have other properties like auras and the like. All this goes away when the wall is destroyed.

A sandtrap never blocks ships. It is a constant effect on the battlefield. Some effects are obvious: driving through it slows you and does some other nasty things depending on your faction membership.

For the Undersea Web, the primary sandtrap effect is apparent -- it has a permanent cavitation field for quite a distance around it -- and you can't shut it down. Cavitation fields surface subs, which makes your Gluttony fleets a much riskier proposition!

It further slows ships passing through and buffs the defense of buildings around it.

For the non-Scourge player, it has a nasty Corrosive DOT on it as you pass through. Won't kill you, but it will hurt badly. A smart defender will set up stuns and slows to lengthen the time spent in the sandtrap.

For Scourge players, there is an exceptional additional building defense buff around it, giving you the incentive to build a strong defensive cluster around the sandtrap centered on pure burst damage.

So to review, we now have 2 types of Traps:

1) Walls. They block you. You have to destroy them to pass. They are destroyed when you do enough damage to them. Their turrets and buffs/penalties end when you destroy it, as you would expect from a wall.

2) Sandtraps. They slow you. You can't permanently destroy them. The turrets mounted on them are destroyed when you do enough damage. The buffs/penalties never end, however. If you think "you can't destroy a minefield by shooting a missile at it" you will get the analogy.

I hope this helps understand our newest PVP Trap!

There you go folks!  That is the Scourge Undersea Web!

EDIT: Added fancy stat courtesy of Templar

If you have technical questions, please submit a ticket here.
Having trouble submitting a ticket? Try this link.
Not sure about the rules
I cannot discuss your account ban. Don't ask.
Twitter:  @Major_Rampage
Facebook:  Major Rampage
  • Professor Yana
    Professor Yana
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined Aug 2012 Posts: 1,660
    beel78 said:
    Howdy Folks,

There has been some confusion about the Scourge Undersea Web.  Some of this is due to the early release we didn't have full messaging prepared for this new feature.  Our Lead Game Designer did a write up about this last night and I am going to share it here.

We've shipped our first "sandtrap"-style Channel Defense Trap: The Scourge Undersea Web! 

A sandtrap is not a wall, it's more of a minefield. You can tear down a wall, and the wall is gone. The benefit of a sandtrap is you can't tear one of those down, no matter how much you shoot it, it's still there.

So what is different with a sandtrap?

A wall blocks ships from passing by. It also may have other properties like auras and the like. All this goes away when the wall is destroyed.

A sandtrap never blocks ships. It is a constant effect on the battlefield. Some effects are obvious: driving through it slows you and does some other nasty things depending on your faction membership.

For the Undersea Web, the primary sandtrap effect is apparent -- it has a permanent cavitation field for quite a distance around it -- and you can't shut it down. Cavitation fields surface subs, which makes your Gluttony fleets a much riskier proposition!

It further slows ships passing through and buffs the defense of buildings around it.

For the non-Scourge player, it has a nasty Corrosive DOT on it as you pass through. Won't kill you, but it will hurt badly. A smart defender will set up stuns and slows to lengthen the time spent in the sandtrap.

For Scourge players, there is an exceptional additional building defense buff around it, giving you the incentive to build a strong defensive cluster around the sandtrap centered on pure burst damage.

So to review, we now have 2 types of Traps:

1) Walls. They block you. You have to destroy them to pass. They are destroyed when you do enough damage to them. Their turrets and buffs/penalties end when you destroy it, as you would expect from a wall.

2) Sandtraps. They slow you. You can't permanently destroy them. The turrets mounted on them are destroyed when you do enough damage. The buffs/penalties never end, however. If you think "you can't destroy a minefield by shooting a missile at it" you will get the analogy.

I hope this helps understand our newest PVP Trap!

There you go folks!  That is the Scourge Undersea Web!
    "you can't destroy a minefield by shooting a missile at it" you will get the analogy.
    You should check out the, MICLIC then....It is used fairly often.  Even though it is a rocket and not a "missile" and deploys a high explosive trailing line behind it.....Just pointing that out.  :D 

There's also the APOBS, the Giant Viper, the Bangalore Torpedo... and I believe the Daisy Cutter has been used in mine clearance, as well.
  • sneak-153
    sneak-153
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Feb 2013 Posts: 178
    Does the deflection field of effect apply to the damage dealt to the turrets on the trap?
  • TheOctopus
    TheOctopus
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Dec 2016 Posts: 1,266
    There is one final block of stats on the trap that gives deflections to buildings, including 200k explosive deflection. This stat block has no range, so am I right in assuming it will only be applied to the portal?
  • rgsmith1966
    rgsmith1966
    Potential Threat
    Joined Aug 2013 Posts: 61
    I've only run in to one of these thus far and backed out of the base for other reasons. So my question is - if you kill the portal, does that kill the web, or do we now have invincible portals?
  • DogStar123
    DogStar123
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 968
    Looks like this will nerf the P Glut pretty awesomely. I wonder how many people have coined the research on this? It is quite coincidental that this was "mistakenly" released two days before the Bounty season began. I don't know why I have such negative thinking about such wonderful mistakes.
  • Firth of Clyde
    Firth of Clyde
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 137
    How many coined the Pglut and glut fleet refits in anticipation of bounty 4,only to get smacked in the face again???? Pretty normal circumstances these days, like rushing the release of new tech before having written the brief for that new tech. A lot of what happens in BP lately seems to be re-active rather than pro-active.... OP hull followed by OP turret followed by...well you get the picture. Wildly slewing from left to right seems more in keeping with kix' gameplan these days,rather than slight deflections from the straight and narrow.

rgsmith1966
     It would appear that Rampages second point indicates the turrets on the portal can be killed but not the net , or it's effects, which are a permanent feature retaining the buffs/penalties associated with the trap.
  • The_Vengeful_One
    The_Vengeful_One
    Master Tactician
    Joined Jun 2012 Posts: 2,366
    I've only run in to one of these thus far and backed out of the base for other reasons. So my question is - if you kill the portal, does that kill the web, or do we now have invincible portals?
    The buffs and penalties are stay even after you kill the portal, but the turrets die.

• daniel.ghizdavu
    daniel.ghizdavu
    Potential Threat
    Joined Sep 2013 Posts: 44
    yes , they nerfed the BUS fleet with super explosive bounty defence and now killed the phantom glut fleet too , let s play bounty 4, keep coinig new fleets guys
  • GrandPaSunshine
    GrandPaSunshine
    Joined Dec 2012 Posts: 1,528
    slows you down AND surfaces you ?  why bother with subs in PVP and i will assume future PVE also.   Taking damage if you can't drive or attack smartly is acceptable.  getting killed just by showing up is unbelievably stupid.  Wonder why the design tech didn't give you the correct information in the beginning.

Just one old man's opinion :)
  • FishBite
    FishBite
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Jun 2015 Posts: 575
    Next month there will be some ship that bypasses the web thing.  No doubt in my mind at all.   It will be just before next bounty event.
  • blake.matz
    blake.matz
    Greenhorn
    Joined Jul 2016 Posts: 3
    and then theyll release a counter to that ship imeadiatly after
  • Firth of Clyde
    Firth of Clyde
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 137
    ......and then they'll release a brief telling you they rushed it before they had a chance to post the Item descriptor, but thought we'd appreciate the hasty introduction more than the fully tested Q & A version, so we can test it ourselves. All working as intended... This Warn you!
  • carol.santti
    carol.santti
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Apr 2013 Posts: 179
    when did this sand trap come out?    first I am seeing a post about it and today is sunday    :(     dont mater U.T.T dont see subs and we are expected this to work   yea right        would have been nice to get a heads up about it tho

• The_Vengeful_One
    The_Vengeful_One
    Master Tactician
    Joined Jun 2012 Posts: 2,366
    edited 4 Dec 2017, 2:53AM
    when did this sand trap come out?    first I am seeing a post about it and today is sunday    :(     dont mater U.T.T dont see subs and we are expected this to work   yea right        would have been nice to get a heads up about it tho

It came out on Wednesday with the update.

• carol.santti
    carol.santti
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Apr 2013 Posts: 179
    just re-read the up-date from wednesday     no menchion of the new trap    better commuation should be given out from kixeye and the coustermer base     instead we get emerancy up-date game down    4 hours later no explation why    yet something gets broken in the game durring a event     and yet the u/t/t still don't see subs    why don't you fix what is actually broken before adding something new and untested

• steshot
    steshot
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Dec 2012 Posts: 163
    stll confused with the stats of the trap? Ie hich stats refer to which faction, as there is several for deflections. the lines in the stats are confusing. eg, does reaver also have the building deflections for explosice/conc/corr?
  • Lady-Jessica
    Lady-Jessica
    Joined Jun 2013 Posts: 1,530
    do all the effects stay when the portal is dead or do only some stats stay
  • TheOctopus
    TheOctopus
    Incursion Leader
    I made a nifty little chart breaking down which stats go where.

Enjoy!

I also added this chart to the OP for future reference so folks don't have to scroll through the thread.
    Thank you very much, mate! However if this is true, Kixeye needs to change the stat blocks in-game, because there is NOTHING there to indicate that the speed debuffs are Scourge-only.
  • Templar614
    Templar614
    Joined Jul 2012 Posts: 10,303
    do all the effects stay when the portal is dead or do only some stats stay
    The sub cav, slow effect, and corrosive field should all stick around.

Obviously the Portal based deflections are irrelevant at that point in time.

The extra Scourge concussive deflection is the only one I am really questioning. I will double check it, but I would imagine it would stick around as well.
  • TheOctopus
    TheOctopus
    Incursion Leader

Enjoy!

I also added this chart to the OP for future reference so folks don't have to scroll through the thread.
    Not to be nitpicky, but if the Scourge deflection bonuses only apply to the portal and not surrounding turrets and buildings, this sentence by Major Rampage needs to be edited, because it clearly suggests the latter:

"For Scourge players, there is an exceptional additional building defense buff around it, giving you the incentive to build a strong defensive cluster around the sandtrap centered on pure burst damage."
  • Templar614
    Templar614

Enjoy!

Thank you very much, mate! However if this is true, Kixeye needs to change the stat blocks in-game, because there is NOTHING there to indicate that the speed debuffs are Scourge-only.
    Actually, there is. It is just one of those things that was said once or twice and forgotten.

When looking at a stat block for something like this that has faction specific buffs the items listed above the faction line apply to everything, and everything below the faction specific line applies only to that faction, until you find another faction line.

As an easy example, here is the Drac Sea Wall.
    Everything above the red line applies regardless of faction.
    Between the red and green lines only apply when your faction is Forsaken, Reaver, Legion, or Scourge.
    Below the green line only applies when your faction is Draconian.

So applying the same thing to the Scourge Web, your breaks are there.

• TheOctopus
    TheOctopus
    Incursion Leader

Enjoy!

Actually, there is. It is just one of those things that was said once or twice and forgotten.

When looking at a stat block for something like this that has faction specific buffs the items listed above the faction line apply to everything, and everything below the faction specific line applies only to that faction, until you find another faction line.

Between the red and green lines only apply when your faction is Forsaken, Reaver, Legion, or Scourge.

Good to know, but wow... this is one MESSY way to present information. o.O
  • Templar614
    Templar614

Enjoy!

Hence my fancy chart. I had some real life stuff going on, otherwise I would have tried to push it out sooner. I think part of the issue with the Scourge Web stat block is because it was prematurely released. So we may see a revised stat block for clarity in the future maybe?
  • Templar614
    Templar614

Enjoy!

Not to be nitpicky, but if the Scourge deflection bonuses only apply to the portal and not surrounding turrets and buildings, this sentence by Major Rampage needs to be edited, because it clearly suggests the latter:

"For Scourge players, there is an exceptional additional building defense buff around it, giving you the incentive to build a strong defensive cluster around the sandtrap centered on pure burst damage."
    Probably a reference to the top block under the Scourge. One of their bonuses is 2k deflection to buildings within 70 range. So, basically it applies against Kings Writs at the moment.
  • TheOctopus
    TheOctopus
    Incursion Leader

Enjoy!

Hence my fancy chart. I had some real life stuff going on, otherwise I would have tried to push it out sooner. I think part of the issue with the Scourge Web stat block is because it was prematurely released. So we may see a revised stat block for clarity in the future maybe?
    I hereby vote for you to in the future design Kixeye's stat blocks for an ample salary. :)
  • GrandPaSunshine
    GrandPaSunshine
    Joined Dec 2012 Posts: 1,528

Enjoy!

I hereby vote for you to in the future design Kixeye's stat blocks for an ample salary. :)
    Gets my vote also
    Just one old man's opinion :)
  • leonvdburgh
    leonvdburgh
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Oct 2013 Posts: 501
    Just another money scheme
  • Carlo DeNauw
    Carlo DeNauw
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Aug 2012 Posts: 3,248
    edited 7 Dec 2017, 3:02AM
    Just to point this out - what the dev wrote is not accurate at all. Templar's post is accurate in game. Can someone correct this please?