Marauders SUCK.

Jim Bo
Jim Bo
Strike-force Captain
Joined Jan 2016 Posts: 642
edited 16 Nov 2017, 3:14AM
1. Inferior range of Void plasma cannon. It should be same range as Xeno plasma cannon. This has become more obvious now that the Void Bombardment Torpedo is out
2. Circuit shield only protects against Void damage, Ship and armour available only has resistance to Void damage. So they're only meant to fight other Marauders? This is, for want of a better word, stupid.
3. Circuit shield has high repair time, 50% longer than other shields except exophase, making a lie out of the "lower repair time".

I suspect Kixeye hasn't really been thinking through the Marauder faction. Currently, it doesn't make much sense to build them because their disadvantages outweigh any advantages. What are the advantages? Oh, higher dps weapons. That's it. Not enough.
  • Jim Bo
    Jim Bo
    Strike-force Captain
    What do they need? A list of things:

1. Void Plasma Cannon needs same range as Xeno Plasma Cannon
    2. Circuit shield either needs less than 1 second per 1 energy repair time, or needs to protect against more than just void damage
    3. Built-in Alien resist, and the void resist armour needs alien resist too - VAL, like PRAL/EXAL/ENAL
    4. Void Bombardment Torpedo is ridiculously high mass, needs at least a small reduction
    5. Some sort of stasis weapon or special

...then they might be seen as competitive vs tier 6 ships
  • Paul Welch
    Paul Welch
    Potential Threat
    Joined Nov 2017 Posts: 39

Kix should have made us use void weapons but everything else reg equipment. Then we could have some alien resistance and good shields and armor, not the cruddy void shields with high rep. Yes the void shield rep is a lil less than exophase shield, but few use exophase shield because it has a super long rep. Give me void version of metaphase shield.

• OnionD
    OnionD
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Oct 2017 Posts: 161

No wonder they gave us a free berserker lol

• Brutalitywarlord
    Brutalitywarlord
    Potential Threat
    Joined Jul 2015 Posts: 95
    personally i would have prefered a marauder version of the Rancor, something with maybe a few more weapons slots, just a little more max mass but still able to become an instant repair vessel, i feel like that would have made the faction much more useful if the ships were able to be insta repped at the lowest amount of shields and armor possible
  • Andrea Nard1
    Andrea Nard1
    Master Tactician
    Joined Nov 2015 Posts: 2,283
    Stormer-M said:
    Jim Bo said:
    What are the advantages?
    None.  Absolutely none.  I think every player with an IQ over 85 has figured out that there is absolutely no reason to waste time building these ships.  Let alone upgrade them.

Oh, kixeye will tell you that they have lower build and repair times than their axis counterparts.  Technically that is true.  So do you want a ship with 3 hours repair time that can only be used to fight other players, or do you want a ship with 4 hours repair time that can be used to fight everything?

As you said.. not enough.
    So... you have an IQ above 85... good to know! Nice also to know that you are calling idiots the rest of the players, nothing new..you always stand as the smartest guy.

Now... let me explain to you, from my well below 85 IQ how things works... maruders have been introduced for pvp among maruders, not to fight anything else ... can you get the point? no aliens...no other players fleets! I might repeat, they are designed to fight among themselves, and has the CM has said...the technology is trickling... not to unbalance the game. 
    Now... where is written that you need to build and have of fleet of those ships? Nowhere! Is an option that players have... so stop whining, you do not need them to farm, you do not need them to show off, just need them to fight... and if you do not find them useful, just ignore those ships...but please stop complaining for the sun raising and setting every day!
  • Kereg the Fallen
    Kereg the Fallen
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Dec 2014 Posts: 146

So with all the battles I've watched with Marauder tech, coiners vs coiners, I have yet to see marauder vs marauder. Why would you do it even? It's the same repair as other factions and has no real place it seems since everyone wants a counter. Even if I see a marauder fleet, why bring another marauder when the counter could be anything else. Maybe with marauder battleships, we may see some use but it's still lacking practicality.

For the mighty Pangolin
  • Starchaser2014
    Starchaser2014
    Potential Threat
    Joined Sep 2014 Posts: 38

They make nice cargo ships...

• Kereg the Fallen
    Kereg the Fallen
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Dec 2014 Posts: 146

That is valid. 
    For the mighty Pangolin
  • Nightmare Deathlock
    Nightmare Deathlock
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Oct 2014 Posts: 8,462

@Starchaser2014 said:

Like frigates? XD

born in sector 1100

alliance: LORD (VC only)

VC: lv42 base (only game worth playing) likes to mess with noobs. loves being an insector (who doesnt? lol)

BP: lv46 base (i think) retired

WC: lv14 base (i think) hate this game...

• OnionD
    OnionD
    Minor Nuisance

Needs resist to all damage types. Needs at least 50% more dps on all weapons. Needs similar range.

• protopyre
    protopyre
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jun 2013 Posts: 199
    edited 13 Nov 2017, 7:29PM
    This thread is hilarious already, lol.

I think the reason people are saying marauders suck is that the cruiser that was released first is garbage.
    Marauders are all about trading big damage, but cruisers are meant to be tanks. The only thing Berserkers can tank against are other Marauders, so there's not much point in them yet. The other giant issue is the low range pulse, which is supposedly going to benefit from some kind of void special, but that remains to be seen.
    The Ravager suffers a similar problem, sure once it gets in range it devastates stuff, but with no resistance to anything but void they'll get smashed trying to get close to most fleets.

But just wait for it, think about what is on the horizon . . . 
    The problem with the first two Marauders ship is that they take the first hits in the no resistance damage dance. But when the battleship and teh destroyer hit the floor, all **** will break loose. Destroyers are already rather OP, longest range, better targeting, and already cheap to rep. Now add the discount that Marauders get, a little dps buff, and unresisted damage; Marauder Destroyer is terrifyingly good.
    ~ ԬռѻᵯԭŁצ ~
    http://i.imgur.com/80deZPv.png
  • Jim Bo
    Jim Bo
    Strike-force Captain
    edited 13 Nov 2017, 8:01PM
    "Marauders have been introduced to fight among themselves" - if this is true, they have no reason to exist.

protopyre said:
    ...when the battleship and teh destroyer hit the floor, all **** will break loose. Destroyers are already rather OP, longest range, better targeting, and already cheap to rep. Now add the discount that Marauders get, a little dps buff, and unresisted damage; Marauder Destroyer is terrifyingly good.
    This is assuming that we get a void version of Eclipse driver, or some other decently ranged weapon.

I didn't bother quoting the rest of what you said @protopyre, since you just re-stated what I already said in OP. 
  • Nightmare Deathlock
    Nightmare Deathlock
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Oct 2014 Posts: 8,462

@Andrea Nard1 said:
    Stormer-M said:

Jim Bo said:

What are the advantages?

None.  Absolutely none.  I think every player with an IQ over 85 has figured out that there is absolutely no reason to waste time building these ships.  Let alone upgrade them.

Oh, kixeye will tell you that they have lower build and repair times than their axis counterparts.  Technically that is true.  So do you want a ship with 3 hours repair time that can only be used to fight other players, or do you want a ship with 4 hours repair time that can be used to fight everything?

As you said.. not enough.

So... you have an IQ above 85... good to know! Nice also to know that you are calling idiots the rest of the players, nothing new..you always stand as the smartest guy.

Now... let me explain to you, from my well below 85 IQ how things works... maruders have been introduced for pvp among maruders, not to fight anything else ... can you get the point? no aliens...no other players fleets! I might repeat, they are designed to fight among themselves, and has the CM has said...the technology is trickling... not to unbalance the game. 
    Now... where is written that you need to build and have of fleet of those ships? Nowhere! Is an option that players have... so stop whining, you do not need them to farm, you do not need them to show off, just need them to fight... and if you do not find them useful, just ignore those ships...but please stop complaining for the sun raising and setting every day!

Go take your marauder fleet and get hit or hit a axis fleet and come back with that bullshit statement :p

born in sector 1100

alliance: LORD (VC only)

VC: lv42 base (only game worth playing) likes to mess with noobs. loves being an insector (who doesnt? lol)

BP: lv46 base (i think) retired

WC: lv14 base (i think) hate this game...

• Jim Bo
    Jim Bo
    Strike-force Captain
    So... Kixeye are so cautious about not "unbalancing the game" that they made marauders rubbish.

The Circuit shield is really crap. It has a repair time within 15% of the Exophase shield. 

The Exophase shield protects against 4 damage types - all the player damage types except void, so covers everything except marauders, it's very versatyle. PLUS it gives a free harmonic shield bonus to all ships in the fleet.
    The Circuit shield protects against ONLY void damage, which is really stupid, because it's only effective against other marauders. It should have a repair time comparable to other single-damage-type shields of 1:1. If it is supposed to be "low repair time" it should be lower, like 0.6 seconds per 1 energy. Instead it's 1.5 seconds per 1 energy. HIGH repair time. Not lower.

Anyone fitting the circuit shield as it is now is either not caring about repair time, or is just dumb.
  • dantevega
    dantevega
    Greenhorn
    Joined Mar 2015 Posts: 22

@Stormer-M said:
    Andrea Nard1 said:

Now... let me explain to you, from my well below 85 IQ how things works... maruders have been introduced for pvp among maruders, not to fight anything else ... can you get the point? no aliens...no other players fleets! I might repeat, they are designed to fight among themselves

Hm, not sure if troll.....

In what abstract alternate reality is the scenario you describe even remotely possible?  Do you play vega conflict?  That is to say, are you aware of the game's rules and more importantly, the psychology of the community?  The fleet icon does not magically turn purple to denote the presence of marauder ships, and there is no technical restriction regarding which fleet can fight which besides the fleet level. 

So without a special "Marauder only" sector, the only way to make sure marauder ships stick to fighting other marauder ships is for players to agree to such terms in advance.

Yes, I can see it all unfolding in sector chat now.....

Player 1 - "I say good chap, would you be interested in a friendly match pitting our Marauder fleets against one another in gentlemanly combat?"

Player 2 - "Yo dawg, I've been itching for some M v M action all day loooooooong!  I just love all that purple goodness mixing it up all over my screen!!!!  Let me coin up some fresh fleets!"

Player 1 - "Stupendous!  I very much look forward to our contest of wills upon the field of honor.  Standby for rendezvous coordinates."

(Player 3 launches his MK Elite NET/Eclipse Enforcer fleet)

Player 3 - Hey guys... can I play too?  >:) >:) >:)

@Stormer-M said:
    Andrea Nard1 said:

Now... let me explain to you, from my well below 85 IQ how things works... maruders have been introduced for pvp among maruders, not to fight anything else ... can you get the point? no aliens...no other players fleets! I might repeat, they are designed to fight among themselves

In what abstract alternate reality is the scenario you describe even remotely possible?  Do you play vega conflict?  That is to say, are you aware of the game's rules and more importantly, the psychology of the community?  The fleet icon does not magically turn purple to denote the presence of marauder ships, and there is no technical restriction regarding which fleet can fight which besides the fleet level. 

So without a special "Marauder only" sector, the only way to make sure marauder ships stick to fighting other marauder ships is for players to agree to such terms in advance.

Player 1 - "I say good chap, would you be interested in a friendly match pitting our Marauder fleets against one another in gentlemanly combat?"

Player 2 - "Yo dawg, I've been itching for some M v M action all day loooooooong!  I just love all that purple goodness mixing it up all over my screen!!!!  Let me coin up some fresh fleets!"

Player 1 - "Stupendous!  I very much look forward to our contest of wills upon the field of honor.  Standby for rendezvous coordinates."

I clearly remember the announcement that marauders would only be for pvp among each other but your point is also very true so the discussion here is pointless as there won’t be any improvement by kix.

• RedShift Vega
    RedShift Vega
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jan 2014 Posts: 103
    I think all your points are valid and invalid at the same time, because there is only 1 truth. Put simply, the Vega player base is smarter than the development team.....
    Go forth and take a walrus.
  • Old School VC player
    Old School VC player
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Jul 2013 Posts: 417

The free blank is only good for a cargo huller that's about it **** to fill a gap as is ****

• Stormer-M
    Stormer-M
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Nov 2016 Posts: 465

The free blank is only good for a cargo huller that's about it **** to fill a gap as is ****

They have a second use actually:

You can scrap them for a big chunk of helium and antimatter.
  • RavenDrakar
    RavenDrakar
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Jul 2013 Posts: 1,067
    dantevega said:

@Stormer-M said:
    Andrea Nard1 said:

@Stormer-M said:
    Andrea Nard1 said:

I clearly remember the announcement that marauders would only be for pvp among each other but your point is also very true so the discussion here is pointless as there won’t be any improvement by kix.

No the statement was that the Marauders would be a PVP only faction.  It was never stated that they were intended for use only against other Marauder ships.   Just that you can't use them for PVE battles since they gave them void resist.  

As it stands the new faction are pretty grape soda colored trophies.

Death flies on the wings of the Blackbird of ****.
  • gao.jeff3-trade.tf
    gao.jeff3-trade.tf
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jun 2013 Posts: 151

What can marauders be used for:

• Damage sponge in farming Vega 50s.
    • Damage sponge in basing.
    • Cargo freighter.
    • Armored cargo freighter.
    • Weaponized cargo freighter.
    • Resource sink
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ArL7MYb0uP4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • OnionD
    OnionD
    Minor Nuisance

@gao.jeff3-trade.tf said:
    What can marauders be used for:

>
    • Damage sponge in farming Vega 50s. >
    • Damage sponge in basing. >
    • Cargo freighter. >
    • Armored cargo freighter. >
    • Weaponized cargo freighter. >
    • Resource sink >

It can be used for base decoys but remember no resistance a guardian with hardened resistor would be 50% better than a berserker

• Houka-4
    Houka-4
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jul 2015 Posts: 129

You know, today I saw something that truly solidified how useless marauders are. One of these super-powerful berserker cruisers got kited to death.

By a SINGLE MK 4 COVENANT.

• Simon_Po
    Simon_Po
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined May 2016 Posts: 100
    they are just another try to make some money out of the game...nothing more, nothing less.

I use the marauder ships that i got, as a gift or whatever, in my cargo fleets...sure they make the level higher but they carry alot and if killed...who cares.
  • AirChronic
    AirChronic
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Nov 2016 Posts: 281
    Simon_Po said:
    they are just another try to make some money out of the game...nothing more, nothing less.

I use the marauder ships that i got, as a gift or whatever, in my cargo fleets...sure they make the level higher but they carry alot and if killed...who cares.
    excellent idea.  *grabs cargo extenders and slams them on all his useless marauder hulls that are coincidentally still UNFITTED because this game has a stupidly mind-bogglingly-idiotic ONE REFIT BAY

• Daniel3346
    Daniel3346
    Greenhorn
    Joined Mar 2016 Posts: 12
    Part of their brain washing scheme.
    Legion battleship was in the same fate. Very unconvincing.