A Request for Mobile

Yard
Yard
Unicorn Overlord
Joined Nov 2010 Posts: 11,778

Can we PLEASE get the option to view the site in its desktop format? The mobile version is trash. No PMs, no signatures, no easy navigation, it doesn't recognise when I'm signed in, etc. Etc. I know it wouldn't look that pretty but please give us the option to view the desktop version instead.

• Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jul 2017 Posts: 293
    I think they should consider a mobile app for the forums from the ground up. Considering alot of people have phones and do things on the move now it'd make so much sense, and in this day and age any competent company should have the capacity to do it.
  • Axel L
    Axel L
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 5,848
    Here is a link to the kixeye mobile site if anyone wants to try it on your computer. https://m.kixeye.com/

I can confirm that this isn't a high standard website which you can be happy about. I do also have a question, is it possible in some way to use the PC site on mobile?
    Video games don't cause violence, lag does.
  • Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Minor Nuisance
    edited 24 Oct 2017, 11:31PM
    Axel L said:
    Here is a link to the kixeye mobile site if anyone wants to try it on your computer. https://m.kixeye.com/

I can confirm that this isn't a high standard website which you can be happy about. I do also have a question, is it possible in some way to use the PC site on mobile?
    Closest I've gotten is using the famous Puffin browser (I should point out that I've only tried this on my tablet, not phone.) If I load up a game in Puffin I would get a view pretty much identical to desktop, with the bar at the top with the various tabs like group, forum, support, and the various options in the top right, like the username search feature, PM's (and I believe I could read and write PM's if I wanted) and so on.

However, curiously enough if I recall correctly, I found if you try view the regular forums in Puffin and not load up a game, you seem to get the typical, poorly designed mobile forum view where you can't do anything beyond write out comments and read threads that display poorly in the mobile site. KIXEYE needs to do something about the mobile forum. You can't even edit bloody_ comments on the mobile forum.
  • Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Nov 2010 Posts: 11,778

Does anyone know if Kixeye have ever commented on this issue before? I'd search myself, but, y'know, mobile.

I wasn't just posting this to be arsey, I'm genuinely interested in whether they've expressed interest in updating the mobile site in the past.

• Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Minor Nuisance
    Yard said:

Does anyone know if Kixeye have ever commented on this issue before? I'd search myself, but, y'know, mobile.

I wasn't just posting this to be arsey, I'm genuinely interested in whether they've expressed interest in updating the mobile site in the past.

Aside from that one time 4 years ago, where some former KIXEYE rep said their "just getting started" with re-designing the site, I dunno.
    I'll run a search for you.
  • Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Minor Nuisance
    edited 11 Nov 2017, 6:22PM
    Alright, Im getting results already.
    KIXEYE CS RUBI said this here about who looks after the mobile forum:
    The thread was moved to the appropriate place, it doesn't mean they can help with the answer to your queries.

There isn't a different team looking after the mobile site, it is the same team that work on the site. The mobile side of the site is still evolving and will continue to see changes. An app may not be the best way forward though, as it would need separate coding to the site and increase delays for updates etc.
    So... there's that. RUBI also said this on that same thread:
    thanks for the update.  All i can say at the moment is that it won't always be like this, i just don't have firm dates for changes.
    RUBI also said this here:

On mobile how do you add friends? Or accept friend invites?

at the moment you can't, you have to use the desktop version of the site. Mobile users will see more changes to the site in the coming months, and friends is part of that.
    I'll let you know if I find anything else.
  • Axel L
    Axel L
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 5,848
    edited 16 Nov 2017, 8:23PM
    The thread was moved to the appropriate place, it doesn't mean they can help with the answer to your queries.

There isn't a different team looking after the mobile site, it is the same team that work on the site. The mobile side of the site is still evolving and will continue to see changes. An app may not be the best way forward though, as it would need separate coding to the site and increase delays for updates etc.
    thanks for the update.  All i can say at the moment is that it won't always be like this, i just don't have firm dates for changes.

at the moment you can't, you have to use the desktop version of the site. Mobile users will see more changes to the site in the coming months, and friends is part of that.
    The evolution of the mobile site must be very slow as these comments are not that new. The computer site has also a similar issue where many features have been in the state of coming soon for years.
    Video games don't cause violence, lag does.
  • Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Minor Nuisance
    Axel L said:

The evolution of the mobile site must be very slow as these comments are not that new. The computer site has also a similar issue where many features have been in the state of coming soon for years.
    Its KIXEYE, what do you expect? Their tactic when it comes to adding content to their products including their site is they either shovel content into their products endlessly until it overwhelms us, or they make a bunch of vague promises with no specifics and ultimately never follow through on them.