Base Defense vs Zombies - Tips

MX36
MX36
Unicorn Overlord
Joined May 2012 Posts: 3,191
edited 17 Oct 2017, 9:00PM
Know Your Zombies
♦ Zombies are infantry that are weak to area and fire damage.
♦ Walkers, Crawlers, Gorillas, Mini Gorillas, Ninjas, Juggernauts, and Thorium Juggernauts are all melee units.
♦ Normal zombies (Crawlers, Walkers, Mini Gorillas, and Bombers) can be easily killed with normal turrets and splash damage.
♦ Ninjas will rush towards you in seconds! use Vindicators, Nightmares, Hammers or Spartans to kill them when they're tightly grouped behind walls.
♦ Bombers detonate causing huge splash damage. can be easily killed.
♦ To kill Juggernauts, you need heavy damage dealers paired with Corrosion & fire, Rail guns, Purifiers, Hammers..etc.  
♦ Yellow spitters are the only ranged zombies that can target both air & ground with a wide splash radius. the safest way to kill a Spitter is to snipe it from a far-away position before it has the chance to retaliate. other ways including flanking them with a fast moving unit, distracting them with silo drones\Titans, or by using brute force Hammers+Spartans\Acolytes.
New Mech zombie: ??? 

The most universally effective way is to kill them with fire. but there's a few other tricks you can use for a more efficient kill  ;) 
✅ Corrosion: corroded units take +50% more damage from all sources. best units to apply this effect
  • Lead Commandos with Corrosive Cores (best used in Bunkers)
  • Jackals with Corrosive Coating
  • ViperX or the one from the VIP Room spec ops.
  • Scorpions
  • Elite Heavy Gunners with Corrosion Shells.. (Best used in Bunkers, but it has short range)

✅ Damage Combos: combining Area & Fire.. or stacking both Corrosion & Fire is super effective! using Spartans with Fire Grenades will both burn and splash damage secondary targets.

✅ Barricades: can be used to funnel zombies into narrow lines or to guide them to minefields. if placed at the right distance from your turrets, they can buy you enough time to kill the wave before things get close and personal.

✅ Special Ops: top 3 that are relevant to this event are:
  • Terrible Two: can be used to kill normal zombies or as a distraction to those Yellow Spitters while your turrets do the rest.
  • VIP Room: a free ViperX that can be used to bait\distract zombies and to spray them with corrosion.
  • Serious Tail: Scorpions that can be used to spray corrosion, but they're very weak so be careful! 
✅ Drone Silos: for waves that have Yellow Zombies, try to put your silos a little bit outside your base (but not too far outside!) in order to trigger them earlier to swarm & distract those Yellow zombies while flanking them with Howlers, Jackals, or Phalanx.. OR to keep them distracted until you kill all the other types.
Best units for these waves are: lots of Incendiary Wing Drones - Night Owls - Yellow Jackets.

Evolution of Base Defenders: 
- Legacy Era: Wing Drones - Elite Flamethrower - F.A.V. - Suicide Truck    
- Fire Nation: Scorcher - Torch - Ronin                                          
- SF Era: Grenadiers - Jackals - Nightmares                                        
- Gen-1 Factions: Hammers - Spartan ZK - Acolytes                          
- Gen-2 Factions: Chaplains - Technical                                                               
Your best option is to use units from Gen 1 and 2. if you don't have enough, you can use some of the older SF Era units like Grenadiers, Jackals, and Nightmares.  

✅ Disruptors are rarely used during normal gameplay, but their shock\scramble\burn effects might have a role in this event. so prepare yourself and have a few built and ready!

✅ Orbital Hammer Bastion is another useful defense option that can cover a wide section of your base with over 135K damage at level 3.

It's not too late to pick a side

The opportunity cost of staying neutral is very high, and choosing the right faction for this event is a tricky part!
Corpus' Adaptive Armor comes in handy during attacks when sniping Hunters & Rails (especially if they're supported by Fusions), but not that good against zombies, as it won't protect you from getting slowly chewed by those melee crawlers!
Sentinels' Devotion will protect you from getting shocked, stunned, or zombified.. but all this can be avoided if you're a careful player.
Survivors' Warlust is super effective in both defense & attack. when it reaches its full % your units' damage doubles! which is great if you're  used to using Hammers & Liberators in defense, or for rushing bases with Hammers, Dogs, and Liberators.

Protect the Crown Jewel 

Not all waves have zombies spawning from all 6 directions. So, for waves that has one or two spawn points, move your important buildings to the opposite sides to keep them standing as long as possible during that wave. such as:
  • Command Center: the Victory Condition for defense waves. if it falls, game over!
  • GoGo-Bar: keep it alive for its +Damage boost.
  • Defense Lab: provides +Armor boost for defenders.
  • Power Plants: Keep your Turrets operating at 100%.. don't forget to put them on Overdrive before starting the wave! 
Be flexible with your design 

Don't stick with one setup! move things around and adapt to each wave.. some waves will have only anti-ground zombies, so you can move all your floaters closer to the spawn points to give them more time.
- Bunkers should be placed in positions that will cover the entire wave (or as much as possible).
- Bunkers behind walls supported by Vindicators (long range) and Hammers (short range) are a good combination.
If you're going to use multiple Hammers, sometimes it's not a good idea to place them all in the same spot, instead, place them one after the other to stagger their shots.

Maximize your turrets potential

Overwatch turrets are one of the best AoE damage dealers, but their DPS needs a good boost to make up for the long reload. so get a few Fusion turrets and link them together.
- Napalms, Fire Bomb Artillery, and Rocket Barrage are all outdated and don't do **** against the new generation of zombies. don't waste your time.
- Floating Avalanches works very well, and their damage will multiply very quickly thanks to the continuous stream of zombie hordes.
- Forget about using Absorption turrets unless they're at level 4-5.

Rail Launcher or Overwatch? 
Rails damage is insane! they're excellent against Juggernaut & Boss Zombies, but most of the time they waste their first shot on one of the weaker zombies then take ages to reload.
Overwatches base damage is no where near that of a Rail Launcher, but their shots cover a large area and weaken multiple zombies at once. also keep in mind that we might have a new type of Mech zombie in this event. we still not sure if Overwatches are enough or Rails are needed to kill it!

Brute force is still a tactic (Meant for Invasions)

[War Dog Shield]
-War Dogs with Resistance + Clones + Damage to Infantry
-Chaplains with Splash + Explosions to secondary targets + Speed.
-Acolytes with Flamethrower + Area Resistance + Damage resistance while moving.

[Hammers\Purifiers Shield] Hammers are better than Purifiers vs area damage and can defend themselves well against zombie hordes.
Frontline: Hammers with Fire Ammo + Reload Speed + Damage Resistance
Chaplains & Acolytes with the same setup as the previous combo 

Take all the time in the world
Since event waves are different from Invasions, and you're not in a race against the clock, take all the time you need to study the wave (watch some Youtube videos) and take notes about where zombies are coming from, how many of each type, and which ones you need to kill first.

Zombies rain from above!!
There might be some Undead Valkyries and Vanquishers during early waves . Valkyries are super annoying, as they will swoop in and zombify your PowerPlants causing some implosions, but they're very easy to kill anyway.  ;) 

EDIT:
1-  Zombie names listed above are what we used to call them based on appearance\attacks, but some of them has different names when using Adv. Scout.. For more details about Zombie profiles & photos, Check out this post which also has so many valuable info & tips [Tips to defend against the Zombie Onslaught] credit goes to Thane Mantis 

2- Another post worth referencing here is [THE ULTIMATE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL CAMP] which has many detailed tactics to fight zombies. credit to Make_Me 
P Sherman, 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney.
  • Vermell
    Vermell
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Feb 2013 Posts: 444
    ty great post
  • Axel L
    Axel L
    WC Mod
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 10,156
    Nice post MX but you forgot about the thing that most zombies are very slow and has short range which means there are very weak to units that can move and shoot and have at the same time high movement speed/damage. This would actually make Howlers to an insane anti zombie unit if you have them as they are as fast as Runner Zombies and much fast movement speed as any other zombies.
    Video games don't cause violence, lag does.
    The day has come and I'm finally beyond the 10k mark. https://www.kixeye.com/forum/discussion/745288
  • K Sai Ram
    K Sai Ram
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Sep 2012 Posts: 356
    Nice post there @MX36 ; , Btw I did check jackals with corrosive coating tech during the invasion , but the fire rounds on it were doing almost alot of damage from what i have seen . so i replaced them with fire rounds and use hercules with ( corrosion+cyro effect ) for better corrosion effect for zombies  :) , as soon as those Juggernaut zombies step on the cyro they get corroded and get killed in a second with the Acolyte+jackal ( fire tech combo ) & also rail launcher taking care of the ones that were too close ( rail launcher do kill multiple zombies if grouped nearer ) and also looks like those boss and juggernaut zombies seems to have some kind of high priority like hammers & purifiers do .

Game Name:  _SAIRAM_    Lvl : 46
  • Jason Ensinger
    Jason Ensinger
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Sep 2012 Posts: 3,613
    If you have enough rare and uncommon tech for Expert Grenadiers, they are the best area/fire damage dealers against zombies hands down. Level 20 Spartans can come close in damage, but their splash radius isn't nearly as much as Grenadiers. Other than that, great post. Just wanted to point out that sometimes SF units are much more effective than Faction units.
  • MX36
    MX36
    Unicorn Overlord
    Axel L said:
    Nice post MX but you forgot about the thing that most zombies are very slow and has short range which means there are very weak to units that can move and shoot and have at the same time high movement speed/damage. This would actually make Howlers to an insane anti zombie unit if you have them as they are as fast as Runner Zombies and much fast movement speed as any other zombies.
    Oh you're still thinking about that red envelop thing :D good point though! 
    I actually did mention them in the Drone Silo point ^. they were great at flanking & killing those Yellow Zombies, but the sheer amount of units on the screen made it so difficult for me to control and keep them moving. 

K Sai Ram said:
    Nice post there @MX36 ; , Btw I did check jackals with corrosive coating tech during the invasion , but the fire rounds on it were doing almost alot of damage from what i have seen . so i replaced them with fire rounds and use hercules with ( corrosion+cyro effect ) for better corrosion effect for zombies  :) , as soon as those Juggernaut zombies step on the cyro they get corroded and get killed in a second with the Acolyte+jackal ( fire tech combo ) & also rail launcher taking care of the ones that were too close ( rail launcher do kill multiple zombies if grouped nearer ) and also looks like those boss and juggernaut zombies seems to have some kind of high priority like hammers & purifiers do
    Thank you, Sai Ram! first-hand experience with units & tech is exactly what I was hoping to read.. unfortunately, the time factor was one of the reasons why I couldn't try the other Fire tech on SF like Jackals, and I was mainly focusing on using Hammers for that. but it's good to know they still a viable option.
    -Regarding Hercules, their multi-weapon systems are pretty unique, and I'm going to give them a try during the event, but the problem is that I always get lag spikes whenever I encounter one in a rogue base.. especially when they fire all 3 or 4 weapons at the same time.

-Does the Cryo work against boss zombies? some of them get crazy speed boost once their health drop under 50% or so. :|
  • MX36
    MX36
    Unicorn Overlord
     their splash radius isn't nearly as much as Grenadiers.
    Aaaand that's why the SF era is always superior to Factions.. the workshop alone was so much fun to use and experiment with..now all we have is just one or two tech per slot with limited functionality.  :/

Are you still using SF with Grenadiers in bunker or a mix of Grenadiers and Factions? 
  • K Sai Ram
    K Sai Ram
    Skilled Warrior
    edited 17 Oct 2017, 5:55PM
    MX36 said:
    -Does the Cryo work against boss zombies? some of them get crazy speed boost once their health drop under 50% or so. :|
    All of them are immune Cyro & Stun :neutral:

Edit : Splitter Zombies shots do attack ground and air and the same time like the Oni MK II bombs 
  • Vermell
    Vermell
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Feb 2013 Posts: 444
    Does corrosion have an effect on zombies in upcoming event?
  • ali33166
    ali33166
    Potential Threat
    Joined Jan 2017 Posts: 44
    also the place of mines can help a lot
  • Axel L
    Axel L
    WC Mod
    MX36 said:
    Axel L said:
    Oh you're still thinking about that red envelop thing :D good point though! 
    I actually did mention them in the Drone Silo point ^. they were great at flanking & killing those Yellow Zombies, but the sheer amount of units on the screen made it so difficult for me to control and keep them moving. 

K Sai Ram said:
    Nice post there @MX36 ; , Btw I did check jackals with corrosive coating tech during the invasion , but the fire rounds on it were doing almost alot of damage from what i have seen . so i replaced them with fire rounds and use hercules with ( corrosion+cyro effect ) for better corrosion effect for zombies  :) , as soon as those Juggernaut zombies step on the cyro they get corroded and get killed in a second with the Acolyte+jackal ( fire tech combo ) & also rail launcher taking care of the ones that were too close ( rail launcher do kill multiple zombies if grouped nearer ) and also looks like those boss and juggernaut zombies seems to have some kind of high priority like hammers & purifiers do
    Thank you, Sai Ram! first-hand experience with units & tech is exactly what I was hoping to read.. unfortunately, the time factor was one of the reasons why I couldn't try the other Fire tech on SF like Jackals, and I was mainly focusing on using Hammers for that. but it's good to know they still a viable option.
    -Regarding Hercules, their multi-weapon systems are pretty unique, and I'm going to give them a try during the event, but the problem is that I always get lag spikes whenever I encounter one in a rogue base.. especially when they fire all 3 or 4 weapons at the same time.

I think all zombies are completely immune to status effects as I don't have any memories seeing zombies being affected by Cryo in the last zombie event. However, it's always worth a test to make sure.

On the other hand, when it comes to using fast moving vehicles against zombies. It's never recommended to use them if there is way too many units in the battle as it's highly likely that you won't be able to control your units because of performance issues. However, when it comes to base attacking. It will probably be one of the best assets as they can out maneuver the zombies. I think the War Rig will probably be a very effective zombie killer this time around as it has everything that is required to be an effective zombie killer.
    The day has come and I'm finally beyond the 10k mark. https://www.kixeye.com/forum/discussion/745288
  • Jason Ensinger
    Jason Ensinger
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Sep 2012 Posts: 3,613

@MX36 said:
    Jason Ensinger said:

Aaaand that's why the SF era is always superior to Factions.. the workshop alone was so much fun to use and experiment with..now all we have is just one or two tech per slot with limited functionality.  :/

Are you still using SF with Grenadiers in bunker or a mix of Grenadiers and Factions? 

A mix. I had to get all tech from Alliance Raids due to an absence, so only have enough rare and uncommon tech for 2 teams for 2 bunkers. Typically I keep 3 Commandos, a Grenadier and an Infiltrator, but switch it up to Lead Commando and 4 Grenadiers for zombies. Rare HC ammo, rare or uncommon Drum Magazine, Heavy Ordinance and Fire Rounds and Infantry damage/splash tech for custom tech.

• IronCorps
    IronCorps
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Mar 2015 Posts: 1,000
    MX36 said:

Yeah, Kixeye did away with the SF workshop customizations because players were complaining that they had to think...

So now strategy and tactics are spoon fed.
  • Commander Sarkis
    Commander Sarkis
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Apr 2013 Posts: 129

Last year during the zombie events, I found Sarkis very useful against the zombies since his rpg damage/splash is insane. I would recommend using Sarkis since he also can cloak.

• SNEAKY_FOOKER
    SNEAKY_FOOKER
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Feb 2014 Posts: 274

Verry good thread, thanks a lot bud!

image
  • MX36
    MX36
    Unicorn Overlord
    K Sai Ram said:

Edit : Spitter Zombies shots do attack ground and air and the same time like the Oni MK II bombs 
    I had to go back and watch a few of last season's videos (including yours) to refresh my memories, and yes! all of them were immune to both effects!

-I noticed that as well when they were shooting at Night Owls without affecting the ground units below.. but Splash is inconsistent and very weird sometimes! you'll certainly know what I mean when you see this photo from the Sentinel token base:
    Floating Artillery + Armored Ion.. Shooting any of these two with Furies will splash damage & destroy the other.

Vermell said:
    Does corrosion have an effect on zombies in upcoming event?

Based on the zombies from this Invasion, yes it should work vs all of them. and I hope it stays this way. :) 

ali33166 said:
    also the place of mines can help a lot

Good point! this was helpful during Invasion at wave 10 vs the large group of Spitter zombies.

• MX36
    MX36
    Unicorn Overlord
    Axel L said:
    On the other hand, when it comes to using fast moving vehicles against zombies. It's never recommended to use them if there is way too many units in the battle as it's highly likely that you won't be able to control your units because of performance issues. However, when it comes to base attacking. It will probably be one of the best assets as they can out maneuver the zombies. I think the War Rig will probably be a very effective zombie killer this time around as it has everything that is required to be an effective zombie killer.
    Yeah I learned that the hard way. it was dead before I could move it, so I switched to Phalanx. at least their Spartans can do some damage if the main unit got killed.
    War Rigs should be useful in open bases, where you can run freely through and around the base. let's wait and see :) 

A mix. I had to get all tech from Alliance Raids due to an absence, so only have enough rare and uncommon tech for 2 teams for 2 bunkers. Typically I keep 3 Commandos, a Grenadier and an Infiltrator, but switch it up to Lead Commando and 4 Grenadiers for zombies. Rare HC ammo, rare or uncommon Drum Magazine, Heavy Ordinance and Fire Rounds and Infantry damage/splash tech for custom tech.

Good combination and setup! that should be able to melt them zombies right away. another good thing about Grenadiers is how frequent their shots are compared to Spartans.
    I still feel something's wrong after I took both Infiltrators & Grenadiers out of my bunkers.. but I had to do that for the warlust to work!
  • K Sai Ram
    K Sai Ram
    Skilled Warrior
    MX36 said:
    K Sai Ram said:

Edit : Spitter Zombies shots do attack ground and air and the same time like the Oni MK II bombs 
    I had to go back and watch a few of last season's videos (including yours) to refresh my memories, and yes! all of them were immune to both effects!

-I noticed that as well when they were shooting at Night Owls without affecting the ground units below.. but Splash is inconsistent and very weird sometimes! you'll certainly know what I mean when you see this photo from the Sentinel token base:
    Floating Artillery + Armored Ion.. Shooting any of these two with Furies will splash damage & destroy the other.
    I did notice it when one of the splitter zombie targeted the wall beside rail launcher and floating rail launcher got damaged  ( there is nothing in the wave expect splitters to hit the floaters right ?? ) and also yes furies & ss drones also do the same kind of damage that can damage air and ground simultaneously
  • Axel L
    Axel L
    WC Mod
    MX36 said:
    Axel L said:
    Yeah I learned that the hard way. it was dead before I could move it, so I switched to Phalanx. at least their Spartans can do some damage if the main unit got killed.
    War Rigs should be useful in open bases, where you can run freely through and around the base. let's wait and see :) 
    If you have noticed that the most recent War Rig tech has some very interesting design decisions which will make the War Rig even more powerful against zombies. The acceleration is also a great addition for making it easy to outrun zombies and the reduced turning radius will help it to turn more effectively.
  • Axel L
    Axel L
    WC Mod
    edited 18 Oct 2017, 6:27AM
    K Sai Ram said:
    MX36 said:
    K Sai Ram said:

I did notice it when one of the splitter zombie targeted the wall beside rail launcher and floating rail launcher got damaged  ( there is nothing in the wave expect splitters to hit the floaters right ?? ) and also yes furies & ss drones also do the same kind of damage that can damage air and ground simultaneously
    The sandstorm drones cannot target airborne buildings and damage them. The function of being able to have splash damage that targets air and ground at the same time is unique for the Omega Titan Bomber drones. There are few other units like Furies, Juggernauts and Heralds that also has a splash that will affect air and ground targets at the same time.
  • Kairento
    Kairento
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Jun 2016 Posts: 518
    Great post you make there! 
    Really enjoy reading it. 
    Kết quả hình ảnh cho samuel hayden doom
  • FreedomCobra
    FreedomCobra
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Feb 2013 Posts: 496
    Very helpful.
    (Death Metal Playing In The Background)

War Commander - Level 42
    Vega Conflict - Level 36
    Battle Pirates - Who cares?
  • K Sai Ram
    K Sai Ram
    Skilled Warrior
    Axel L said:
    The sandstorm drones cannot target airborne buildings and damage them. The function of being able to have splash damage that targets air and ground at the same time is unique for the Omega Titan Bomber drones. There are few other units like Furies, Juggernauts and Heralds that also has a splash that will affect air and ground targets at the same time.
    here is a testing video of the drones of sandstorm , as you clearly see them damage the overwatch turrent next to walls , i did take a SS after the attack to make sure it isnt visual :smile:  ( btw something went wrong with the sound , lol )

• MX36
    MX36
    Unicorn Overlord

Last year during the zombie events, I found Sarkis very useful against the zombies since his rpg damage/splash is insane. I would recommend using Sarkis since he also can cloak.

You're one of the few (if not the only one) I know that still uses Sarkis :) .. He's indeed a powerful unit when it comes to damage output. I've used him recently during one of the Sentinels events vs a level cave base I think.. and he was able to solo the base & kill all acolytes without getting a scratch! 
    of course I was taking advantage of his stealth, but I felt that wasn't enough and he really still needs a workshop capacity increase and reduced repair time. 

BTW what's your favorite workshop design for him vs Zombies? 
  • Axel L
    Axel L
    WC Mod
    edited 18 Oct 2017, 7:51PM
    K Sai Ram said:
    Axel L said:
    here is a testing video of the drones of sandstorm , as you clearly see them damage the overwatch turrent next to walls , i did take a SS after the attack to make sure it isnt visual :smile:  ( btw something went wrong with the sound , lol )

This is very weird as I have used the sandstorm a lot and haven't noticed it. However, the Sandstorm drones doesn't deal that much damage and a very small splash radius which could be one of the reasons why I haven't detected this behavior.
  • Breaking Barriers
    Breaking Barriers
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Oct 2013 Posts: 855
    Also another small little tip just to throw it out there. People get caught up in these new era units & new era techs, but often times they forget they have access to MANY basic fire techs within the workshop on OLD units within the game. Zombies hate "fire status" no matter the type it is, just so long as that 'status fire effect' is being put on the zombie, then your doing more damage over time, then not having anything with fire applied. I myself personally love LOVE the old fire tech to Heavy Gunners & this is often event breakers for lower levels just coming into the game during zombie events. Good luck commanders and very awesome post MX36. 
    Be Better Than Yesterday & Greater Than The Day Before That. Knowledge Is Power. 
    PAL Admin

• Aage Jepsen
    Aage Jepsen
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined May 2014 Posts: 319
    edited 24 Dec 2017, 8:24PM
    Hey protect the Crown jewel.  CC -GOGO bar- power plants i see many  use time on protect theirs Defense lab. i did try find info and i cant see any point in secure it.! 
  • Axel L
    Axel L
    WC Mod
    Hey protect the Crown jewel.  CC -GOGO bar- power plants i see many  use time on protect theirs Defense lab. i did try find info and i cant see any point in secure it.! 
    There are few ways to protect buildings like Power Plants, Go-go Bar and the Defense Lab. My current strategy is a way that is actually pretty effective in PvE and it's based around having these building so close to the defenses as possible but still so spread apart from each other as possible.