Classic units still used by high-level players?

Mulliganaceous
Mulliganaceous
Skilled Warrior
Joined Dec 2014 Posts: 366
At 2017, the Faction units have arrived, and have proven incredibly powerful even with low-level Unique units and heavy tanks (Vanquisher, Hovertank). It put most of the units into obsolescence, such as the Mega Tank and even most SF units!

As of now, which classic (I mean at most any Legacy) units are still used by high-level players?
Back from a 2-year pause from gaming!
  • Sneaky Pete
    Sneaky Pete
    Potential Threat
    Joined Jun 2014 Posts: 77
    I'm level 41. The only classic units I still have in platoons are Scorpion and Torch. High-level, workshopped Scorpions make excellent scouts. I keep the Torches around to support the specialized SF I use during Zombie events.
  • Gudari43
    Gudari43
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Oct 2013 Posts: 957
    The only classics I use are elite rifle squads as shields against rail guns and a couple of scorpions for scouting.   Pre faction units I use are expert howlers and adv jackals with shock when paired with expert Jericho.  
  • Mulliganaceous
    Mulliganaceous
    Skilled Warrior
    Back in 2016 and 2015 which classic units do you still use?
  • Axel L
    Axel L
    WC Mod
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 9,164
    edited 9 Oct 2017, 10:01AM
    I think the only truly old units that can be seen used today are the following units. Classic units is defined in my opinion as units that are released before the Dynamic Turret update.

Rifleman
    The Rifleman most commonly used meat shield in the game because a platoon with 23 of them has instant repair. They do also only consume 10 space each which means that they can easily be combined with many other units.

Heavy Gunner
    The Heavy Gunner is one of the most powerful bunker units up to this date as it can provide the Corrosion status effect to incoming units when they are placed inside of a bunker. The special thing about the tech that gives there attacks corrosion status effect is that it's a permanent corrosion status effect.

Attack Dog
    Attack Dogs has always been a very important asset to any army in War Commander as the Dog itself has a very unique world map platoon icon only shared by the War Dog and the attack dog is also  unique for having instant repair time and can sniff out land mines from any base.

Rocket Buggy
    The Rocket Buggy is the most commonly used world map scouting unit because of the map speed of 0.6 and that they have instant repair. They do also only consume on top of that 30 Vehicle storage capacity with a fully upgraded War Factory which is the minimum storage capacity consumption for any ground vehicle in the game.

Wing Drones
    Drone Silos are a very effective building at base defense and 1 or 2 Wing Drones is an important asset to any army as it's the only drone class unit that can deal the Shock status effect which can temporary disable incoming ground vehicles.

Video games don't cause violence, lag does.
  • IronCorps
    IronCorps
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Mar 2015 Posts: 1,000
    edited 15 Oct 2017, 6:09AM
    Axel L said:
    I think the only truly old units that can be seen used today are the following units. Classic units is defined in my opinion as units that are released before the Dynamic Turret update.

Rifleman
    The Rifleman most commonly used meat shield in the game because a platoon with 23 of them has instant repair. They do also only consume 10 space each which means that they can easily be combined with many other units.

Heavy Gunner
    The Heavy Gunner is one of the most powerful bunker units up to this date as it can provide the Corrosion status effect to incoming units when they are placed inside of a bunker. The special thing about the tech that gives there attacks corrosion status effect is that it's a permanent corrosion status effect.

Attack Dog
    Attack Dogs has always been a very important asset to any army in War Commander as the Dog itself has a very unique world map platoon icon only shared by the War Dog and the attack dog is also  unique for having instant repair time and can sniff out land mines from any base.

Rocket Buggy
    The Rocket Buggy is the most commonly used world map scouting unit because of the map speed of 0.6 and that they have instant repair. They do also only consume on top of that 30 Vehicle storage capacity with a fully upgraded War Factory which is the minimum storage capacity consumption for any ground vehicle in the game.

Wing Drones
    Drone Silos are a very effective building at base defense and 1 or 2 Wing Drones is an important asset to any army as it's the only drone class unit that can deal the Shock status effect which can temporary disable incoming ground vehicles.

Great post Axel! This is very informative for new players (and for old players looking for new tactics). I also use Wing Drones with shock in my Drone Silos (along with YellowJackets).
  • ColinXYZ
    ColinXYZ
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Dec 2014 Posts: 120
    Don't forget you can also attach FIRE TECH to WING DRONES which can be used in the up coming event. 
  • Gudari43
    Gudari43
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Oct 2013 Posts: 957
    edited 16 Oct 2017, 10:15AM
    ColinXYZ said:
    Don't forget you can also attach FIRE TECH to WING DRONES which can be used in the up coming event. 
    Als add the Elite Mortar team with incendiary rounds and rapid reloader for upcoming event as well.

• Axel L
    Axel L
    WC Mod
    ColinXYZ said:
    Don't forget that this fire tech is highly likely not to be effective against zombies. Kixeye cannot make fire too powerful against zombies as that would make the currently used units too effective against zombies. The shock tech should be kept on the Wing Drones and it has the advantage of dealing with heavy vehicles.

You should not overly big expectation of fire against zombies as it may turn out that fire wasn't as effective as you expected.
  • Axel L
    Axel L
    WC Mod
    Gudari43 said:
    ColinXYZ said:
    Als add the Elite Mortar team with incendiary rounds and rapid reloader for upcoming event as well.

You should keep in mind that the Fire Generated from tech on Legacy units was designed for the unit health standards 3 years ago when the workshop got introduced and not after the current health standards for units.
  • Mulliganaceous
    Mulliganaceous
    Skilled Warrior
    Axel L said:
    You should keep in mind that the Fire Generated from tech on Legacy units was designed for the unit health standards 3 years ago when the workshop got introduced and not after the current health standards for units.
    I wonder is fire damage percentage-based or does it just deplete a fixed amount of health over time? Kixeye haven't explained how each size of fire damage deals to a unit without modifications.
  • Axel L
    Axel L
    WC Mod
    Axel L said:
    I wonder is fire damage percentage-based or does it just deplete a fixed amount of health over time? Kixeye haven't explained how each size of fire damage deals to a unit without modifications.
    Percentile damage is very rarely seen in WC which makes me guess that Fire Damage wont be percentile to the zombie health. The only case that I know where percentile damage is used is with land mines and this is what makes them still to a very potent defense.
  • Mulliganaceous
    Mulliganaceous
    Skilled Warrior
    There was one time a player attacked my base using Vindicators. It proved very powerful as I am a Level 34 with Level 7 defense turrets (not avalanche), Level 4-5 bunkers, and Level 3 defense platforms.

Nevertheless, the Wing Drones still manage to stun the vindicators, but he deployed other units to destroy my base...

But so far, I still use Banshees, Hovertanks, and Vanquishers and a low-level Titan.
  • iwona.esser.1
    iwona.esser.1
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Feb 2013 Posts: 1,418
    IronCorps said:
    Axel L said:

Rifleman

Heavy Gunner

Attack Dog

Rocket Buggy

Wing Drones

Great post Axel! This is very informative for new players (and for old players looking for new tactics). I also use Wing Drones with shock in my Drone Silos (along with YellowJackets).
    I also use Wing Drones and something I don't think anyone hardly ever used: Slayer Drones. I am a lvl 43 and left for a year (like Nov. 15 to Nov. 16). Anyway I really don't know whether they are effective, especially nowadays, but they are supposed to stun enemy infantry and bunkers.
    ------------------------------------------------------
  • Axel L
    Axel L
    WC Mod
    IronCorps said:
    Axel L said:

Rifleman

Heavy Gunner

Attack Dog

Rocket Buggy

Wing Drones

I also use Wing Drones and something I don't think anyone hardly ever used: Slayer Drones. I am a lvl 43 and left for a year (like Nov. 15 to Nov. 16). Anyway I really don't know whether they are effective, especially nowadays, but they are supposed to stun enemy infantry and bunkers.
    I cannot test the Slater Drone as it's one of many units I haven't unlocked and if I'm not 100% wrong, it should be the oldest unit that I haven't unlocked in the game.

I remember 1 year ago when Slayer Drones was added inside of Drone Silos just to annoy players that only used Liberators provided from the base.
  • nametagg0
    nametagg0
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Jan 2016 Posts: 2,942

Rocket buggies, wing drones and riflemen are probably all your going to see for classics. Not counting last stand defenders.

Image result for free to play vs pay to win gif

"the optimist looks up and loses his footing.
      the pessimist looks down and loses the path
      the strategist looks forward and adjusts accordingly"