Questions about countering air and merc bases

Patton0999
Patton0999
Greenhorn
Joined Jun 2013 Posts: 5
I was just curious if the mercenary base and mercenary mechs are still worth it or any good? I was also wondering what are the best units/turrets when it comes to countering or defending your base from heralds?
  • AZZA1979
    AZZA1979
    Greenhorn
    Joined Apr 2013 Posts: 9
    Personally haven't used Mercs in over 2 years and back then only used them on 'Air Only' Event bases. I would say forget about them, but it depends on the units you do have. They can be used as 'distraction/bait' for your attacking toons but these days the will not last long against most bases.

Defending against Herald is a two fold problem and as you are Lvl 35 all you can really do it try to make it too expensive in repairs for those who attack you.

Option 1: Defending against Herald requires you to dedicate all your defensive turrets to Anti Air only. Flak, Plasma AA, Hunter Missile and Heavy Flak. This leave you wide open for ground attack, Therefore you need good anti ground in bunkers with lots of workshop teck and shock tech especially, Personally in my base i have all workshop Libs and I include 1 Heavy operator with workshop shock ammo in each bunker. Distraction units, like the new dogs or Phalanx are helpful but can be tricky to use and you need to be online for the attack.

Option 2: My preferred method is the total opposite to Option1. All turrets are Anti ground and Airborne. For anti air defence i have only units, Hades and Seekers and lots of them. This works well but only when I am online. Sometimes just seeing these units in a base can be a deterrent for an attacker as these units will heavily damage Herald.

No matter which option you choose, if a player accepts the fact they're going to take damage attacking you, they will Flat you every time. Its a case of you cant defend against all the type of units available these days.

Unfortunately as a Lvl 35 you are in the position of being easy to hit for any lvl above you and probably don't have enough tech/upgrades to make a big difference. When i was at your level I originally just accepted I couldn't defend against attacks, so just concentrated on upgrading my attacking units and hitting everything I could. Take the hits and keep your bubble for as long as you can to collect res and upgrade everything all the time.

Joining a team will help a lot especially if they can see you as an asset, they can help you gain units/res/unique bases etc... A good team/alliance will help you learn to use what you have effectively too

You're in the middle now and its a hard road from here to Lvl40 but just keep moving and upgrading and it'll get easier.
  • Patton0999
    Patton0999
    Greenhorn
    Joined Jun 2013 Posts: 5
    Thank you so much. I am part of an alliance.