For ALL the BACON LOVERS

InsaneTexan
InsaneTexan
Minor Nuisance
Joined Sep 2012 Posts: 248

Would be nice to attend but I can't make it.
Time in Kixeye land is minus 8 hours from UTC/GMT
  • Makarovnik
    Makarovnik
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Aug 2017 Posts: 236
    WAAYCOOL!
  • Thane Mantis
    Thane Mantis
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Jul 2017 Posts: 665
    Where this at?
  • MX36
    MX36
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined May 2012 Posts: 3,256
    Someone is trying to have all the fun they can before the apocalypse eclipse on 21st  :D
    P Sherman, 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney.
  • lomolife1174
    lomolife1174
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Sep 2014 Posts: 9,114
    edited 16 Aug 2017, 12:27PM
    MX36 said:
    Someone is trying to have all the fun they can before the apocalypse eclipse on 21st  :D
    Sadly it won't be visible in the Middle East :disappointed:

Good thing that NASA will be streaming footage of the eclipse though. 
  • Thane Mantis
    Thane Mantis
    Strike-force Captain
    MX36 said:
    Or before Trump and/or Kim Jong-dumb bring about the end of days with their head-butting over nukes.
  • Axel L
    Axel L
    WC Mod
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 11,076
    MX36 said:
    Or before Trump and/or Kim Jong-dumb bring about the end of days with their head-butting over nukes.
    I don't think the man who has got his famous nickname "Babyface" won't start a nuclear war soon.
     <|=  0330 1323 1103 1211 0312 1201 1302 1203 0230 1220 0200  =|> 
     <|=  0302 0320 1310 1220 1211 0200 1313 1233 1302 1210 0230  =|> 
     <|=  0200 1211 0310 1303 0321 1301 1311 1221 1312 0312 1201  =|> 
     <|=  1230 1221 1211 0230 0320 0301 1232 1203 1211 0200 1221  =|> 
     <|=  1232 0200 1201 0302 0200 1210 0320 1221 1203 0232 1310  =|> 
     <|=  0232 1221 1233 1232 1201 1302 1321 0232 0232 0332 1331  =|> 
  • Thane Mantis
    Thane Mantis
    Strike-force Captain
    Axel L said:
    MX36 said:
    I don't think the man who has got his famous nickname "Babyface" won't start a nuclear war soon.
    Hmm maybe. Still, I say never underestimate the power of stupid people. Whilst I have some reservations myself about the concept of N. Korea actually firing any missiles, since provoking such conflict with the US would inherently be a very stupid thing for such a small country to do, its hardly out of the question. I feel like they wouldn't go this far if they weren't going to actually do anything with what they have.
  • Axel L
    Axel L
    WC Mod
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 11,076
    Axel L said:
    MX36 said:
    Hmm maybe. Still, I say never underestimate the power of stupid people. Whilst I have some reservations myself about the concept of N. Korea actually firing any missiles, since provoking such conflict with the US would inherently be a very stupid thing for such a small country to do, its hardly out of the question. I feel like they wouldn't go this far if they weren't going to actually do anything with what they have.
    The only problem is that if he start a nuclear war, his country will have to pay with the exact same doom.
     <|=  0330 1323 1103 1211 0312 1201 1302 1203 0230 1220 0200  =|> 
     <|=  0302 0320 1310 1220 1211 0200 1313 1233 1302 1210 0230  =|> 
     <|=  0200 1211 0310 1303 0321 1301 1311 1221 1312 0312 1201  =|> 
     <|=  1230 1221 1211 0230 0320 0301 1232 1203 1211 0200 1221  =|> 
     <|=  1232 0200 1201 0302 0200 1210 0320 1221 1203 0232 1310  =|> 
     <|=  0232 1221 1233 1232 1201 1302 1321 0232 0232 0332 1331  =|> 
  • lomolife1174
    lomolife1174
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Sep 2014 Posts: 9,114
    Axel L said:
    Axel L said:
    MX36 said:
    The only problem is that if he start a nuclear war, his country will have to pay with the exact same doom.
    And while the US has advanced air defenses that can stop nuclear missiles, North Korea doesn't. So North Korea would have to be very lucky in order for their missiles to hit the US. 
  • Thane Mantis
    Thane Mantis
    Strike-force Captain
    edited 17 Aug 2017, 1:38AM
    Axel L said:
    Axel L said:
    MX36 said:
    If you mean by the US striking back with nukes, whilst they may well do that, I see it as alot less likely. The effects of nukes on people are well known and documented at this point, and whilst they might be able to get away with it, I wouldn't be surprised if the US retaliating with nukes was met with some level of condemnation from the international community because of how dangerous they are and how long the effects can last after the initial blast.

Good odds are it could have a horribly negative effect on civilian populations away from the initial blast zone, not just enemy military targets. Radiation/fallout can travel for miles and miles away if the wind conditions are right, which could easily have an awful effect not just on whatever target was initially struck but many many miles away. In fact, carefully crafted simulators like this one can give you a sense of what sort of damage you could do with weapons like this.

Whilst I wouldn't put much past Trump just like I wouldn't put much if anything past N. Korea, especially considering how Trump seems to have what might be considered knee jerk reactions to alot of things, and he did promise that if N. Korea tried anything he would rain down "fire and fury, the likes of which the world has never seen" and all that, I definitely feel like even he is less likely the use nukes that N. Korea is.

Using them is generally considered to be in violation of alot of international laws and treaties, and in general their just far too risky to use without horrific consequences affecting people far and wide, including other countries such as China and Russia. And since Trump/the US is on less that solid terms with both of them, if the use of the weapons affected them and their populations as well, it would be much worse for everyone on multiple levels.
  • Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Nov 2010 Posts: 11,948

From bacon festivals to international politics. Only on Off Topic.

• Thane Mantis
    Thane Mantis
    Strike-force Captain
    Yard said:

Off Topic. Good show.
    Speaking of shows, Yard - Episode 4 of Season 3 of Rick and Morty is out. Thoughts?
  • Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord

@Thane_Mantis said:
    Yard said:

Off Topic. Good show.
    Speaking of shows, Yard - Episode 4 of Season 3 of Rick and Morty is out. Thoughts?

I liked the premise of making fun of superheroes a lot, but the jokes felt kind of flat in places and the primary focus of the episode was just cynicism/nihilism that made it kind of hard to watch tonally. What did you think?

• Thane Mantis
    Thane Mantis
    Strike-force Captain
    edited 20 Aug 2017, 12:19PM
    Yard said:

I liked the premise of making fun of superheroes a lot, but the jokes felt kind of flat in places and the primary focus of the episode was just cynicism/nihilism that made it kind of hard to watch tonally. What did you think?

Felt flat to me to as well man. I also liked the premise of the show taking swings at superheroes as well as how it undercut some moments of either tension or Rick seemingly displaying care for Morty only for it to be revealed him to actually be discussing someone else, but considering how we've alot of the episodes themes before it does make it hard to watch.

Im starting to get concerned this season is going to be very mediocre at best compared to its predecessors. This series kinda feels deflated in a way doesn't it? I hope it picks up again before this season ends or I may find something else to watch. You think this season will pick itself up or do you think we're going to get this same flat presentation we've seen?

Or, and this is a ridiculous theory that Im just throwing out there for the heck of it, do you think this is deliberate and the writers are trying to make some kind of meta joke about undercutting our expectations for this show and they actually have something good in store for us? The writers have taken made minor 4th wall breaks before, and undercutting expectations is something the show does on a fairly regular basis, so maybe this a meta-joke they decided to insert. Like I said, ridiculous idea, but who knows.

EDIT: One thing I will say in this episodes favour is that, at least for this one, they've ditched going on about Beth and Jerry's divorce and using that for alot of the humour which is nice. Maybe that's part of the reason why the previous episodes have been less funny, at least to me, is because there's less focus on the titular characters.
  • Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord

@Thane_Mantis said:
    Yard said:

Felt flat to me to as well man. I also liked the premise of the show taking swings at superheroes as well as how it undercut some moments of either tension or Rick seemingly displaying care for Morty only for it to be revealed him to actually be discussing someone else, but considering how we've alot of the episodes themes before it does make it hard to watch.

Im starting to get concerned this season is going to be very mediocre at best compared to its predecessors. This series kinda feels deflated in a way doesn't it? I hope it picks up again before this season ends or I may find something else to watch. You think this season will pick itself up or do you think we're going to get this same flat presentation we've seen?

Or, and this is a ridiculous theory that Im just throwing out there for the heck of it, do you think this is deliberate and the writers are trying to make some kind of meta joke about undercutting our expectations for this show and they actually have something good in store for us? The writers have taken made minor 4th wall breaks before, and undercutting expectations is something the show does on a fairly regular basis, so maybe this a meta-joke they decided to insert. Like I said, ridiculous idea, but who knows.

EDIT: One thing I will say in this episodes favour is that, at least for this one, they've ditched going on about Beth and Jerry's divorce and using that for alot of the humour which is nice. Maybe that's part of the reason why the previous episodes have been less funny, at least to me, is because there's less focus on the titular characters.

That meta theory is interesting but it might be giving the writers too much credit lol. I'm hoping this is all building to something amazing near the end of the season, I've heard theories that C137-Morty is turning into Evil Morty due to his time with Rick - in S3E1 he even tried to shoot him, and he was totally uncaring for most of S3E4.

If it does just pitter on like this I'll be disappointed. I'll still watch, but the drop in quality is noticeable. I think maybe one reason for the change is that instead of using a load of wacky sci-fi concepts as the building blocks of the episode, they're using pop culture (re: Mad Max, superheroes, etc.). Some of their best episodes to me have been the ones with the most interesting premises, such as the parasite one, the dream/sentient dog one, and the miniverse one, because it offers so much more scope for unique humour. We hadn't seen Morty react to a miniverse before and his attempt to explain the morality of it to Rick was a funny scene. We've seen Rick be an abusive **** dozens of times, however, so making that the focus of the episode like they did here just wasn't that funny.

It had good moments (I liked the Israel joke for example) but it lacked any sort of B-plot, recycled aspects from previous, better episodes (Noob Noob, meet Mr. Poopybutthole) and didn't even really add much in the way of character development. Hell, every new character introduced died, bar two.

• Makarovnik
    Makarovnik
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Aug 2017 Posts: 236
    Yard said:

Bacon wrapped prawns are good.

• Thane Mantis
    Thane Mantis
    Strike-force Captain
    Yard said:

Thane_Mantis said:

That meta theory is interesting but it might be giving the writers too much credit lol.

Yeah I know. I just came up with it just as I posted that comment and was like "Eh, f*ck it. Lets throw that in there because why not." Its not really a serious theory I believe in because I have doubts that even a group of creative people like the ones working on Rick and Morty would try something like this because it could damage the shows ratings.
    Yard said:
    I'm hoping this is all building to something amazing near the end of the season, I've heard theories that C137-Morty is turning into Evil Morty due to his time with Rick - in S3E1 he even tried to shoot him, and he was totally uncaring for most of S3E4.
    Yeah I heard that theory as well. Its certainly interesting and might hold water considering Morty does seem to be slowly shaping up to be like Rick in some ways. Like you said, he even tried to shoot his own grandfather and in general he does seem to be at least somewhat less empathetic that he's been previously. So him becoming Evil Morty or akin to him doesn't seem out of the question.
    Did you see The Film Theorists video on it?
    Yard said:

If it does just pitter on like this I'll be disappointed. I'll still watch, but the drop in quality is noticeable. I think maybe one reason for the change is that instead of using a load of wacky sci-fi concepts as the building blocks of the episode, they're using pop culture (re: Mad Max, superheroes, etc.).

I agree. I mean, I like seeing some fun and interesting references and nodsA
    Yard said:
    Some of their best episodes to me have been the ones with the most interesting premises, such as the parasite one, the dream/sentient dog one, and the miniverse one, because it offers so much more scope for unique humour. We hadn't seen Morty react to a miniverse before and his attempt to explain the morality of it to Rick was a funny scene.
    Yeah, I agree with that as well. The very foundation of the show itself is built of an interesting premise. The Many Worlds Theory. And that itself has allowed the writers to take the show to some crazy places other shows can't. When you think about it, its kinda genius that they built the show like this, because it literally lets the writers do whatever they want as they've established that in the "Rickstaverse" as I believe they call it, basically anything can go because all realities exist.

I think that tearing away from this somewhat is why the show seems less funny and more flat this season. Because rather than take it to its usual wacky places their borrowing more of what you might call "run of the mill" plots to use as the basis of the shows episodes. Like you said, its better episodes are the ones with more absurd plots. We've seen general concepts like S3 Ep2 (the Mad Max parody, Rickmancing the Stone) plenty of times before, including of course, the source material Mad Max itself. Its not really original like the episode you mentioned centred around micro-verses, The Ricks Must be Crazy.
    Yard said:
    We hadn't seen Morty react to a miniverse before and his attempt to explain the morality of it to Rick was a funny scene. We've seen Rick be an abusive **** dozens of times, however, so making that the focus of the episode like they did here just wasn't that funny.
    Yeah we have. I will say that it was slightly funny watching Morty believe Rick was finally caring for him, but like you said, we've seen it before, so it kinda takes the laughs out of the situation.
    Yard said:

It had good moments (I liked the Israel joke for example) but it lacked any sort of B-plot, recycled aspects from previous, better episodes (Noob Noob, meet Mr. Poopybutthole) and didn't even really add much in the way of character development. Hell, every new character introduced died, bar two.

I'll agree it had its odd good moments. Like I said, the one about Morty thinking Rick cared was kinda good (personally the Isreal joke went over my head lol) but I concur with you on your other points, like the lack of b-plot, recycling concepts and no character development.
    On your point about new characters dying, just wanna point out that 1-Million Ant Man technically didn't die, he more of just dispersed due to his queen being lost lol. Shame to see him go though.
  • Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord

What's your take on the latest two episodes? I liked them, particularly episode 6 - it felt like a return to form for me. Tonally much more aligned with the first two seasons.

• Thane Mantis
    Thane Mantis
    Strike-force Captain
    Yard said:

What's your take on the latest two episodes? I liked them, particularly episode 6 - it felt like a return to form for me. Tonally much more aligned with the first two seasons.

Yeah, I liked the last 2 episodes. Watching Rick tear into Jerry felt like a return to form and the episode overall did seem to be a return to the more wacky tone of the previous seasons with the insane plotlines and so on. As for Episode 6, Rest and Ricklaxation, that was tons of fun to watch. It was funny to watch how Rick and Morty changed when their "toxicity" was removed and so on.
    I hope the rest of this season continues going on the rise.