I got Korath?

MagmaWarrior
MagmaWarrior
Greenhorn
Joined Oct 2014 Posts: 3
Ive been getting back into backyard monsters lately and have just got my champion cage. I remember back in like 2012 there was an event for a champion named korath, and when i opened the champion cage i saw that i could pick it as a champion. I checked the wiki and noticed that it said that some players could pick it without even doing the event, and thus i wondered why or how i got it. I mean, dont get me wrong, i really have been wanting to get korath, and i like having him (even if i dont have inferno unlocked yet, preventing me from feeding him), but i want to know why i got him. Other than that, the only real question i have is why my game crashes so often. Hopefully this will be seen and i will get an answer back. Thank you :smile:
  • Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Potential Threat
    Joined Jul 2017 Posts: 88
    Its probably either a bug or it was a choice made by KIXEYE when the game ended to just make Korath available for all.
  • MagmaWarrior
    MagmaWarrior
    Greenhorn
    I really hope that somehow backyard monsters gets revived, the only real problem that i have with it are a few of the glitches and how it likes to crash a lot. I'd probably try and get all of my friends to play it if it would revive the game.

• Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Potential Threat
    Don't hold your breath. From what I understand, Map Room 2.0 really caused the games numbers to take a dive, and the game moved onto its failed successor, Backyard Monsters: Unleashed. Its odds of returning are incredibly slim if not non-existant and I personally expect to see it die completely come 2020 with Flash, as I doubt KIXEYE will expend the effort to port the game to newer technologies when it barely has an audience.

Besides, would you really want the game back when KIXEYE's current plans for its games are all the exact same? Fill them with shovelware and ruin everything.
  • MagmaWarrior
    MagmaWarrior
    Greenhorn
    honestly, i just want the game to be reverted to pre-map room 2 and for them to fix a few of the bugs. Id just be happy with that. I know the game is gonna die soon, but i gotta admit, im gonna miss the fun i had in it, along with korath.
  • Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Potential Threat
    I agree. I had alot of fun with the game irrespective of whatever version the map was running and all that.
    It was a good game for its time, and there was much fun to be had. First and last great product in the KIXEYE line-up if you ask me.
  • lomolife1174
    lomolife1174
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Sep 2014 Posts: 9,008
    I agree. I had alot of fun with the game irrespective of whatever version the map was running and all that.
    It was a good game for its time, and there was much fun to be had. First and last great product in the KIXEYE line-up if you ask me.
    *gasps!*

How dare you overlook Attack of the Pokies! 
  • Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Nov 2010 Posts: 11,705

@lomolife1174 said:
    Thane_Mantis said:

gasps!

Not to mention Desktop Tower Defence. That was great when it worked.

Apparently they never fixed that game because one of the staff members accidentally deleted some essential code or something for it.

• Axel L
    Axel L
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 4,662
    Yard said:

@lomolife1174 said:
    Thane_Mantis said:

gasps!

Apparently they never fixed that game because one of the staff members accidentally deleted some essential code or something for it.

<sarcasm> That is exactly how you code a game professionally. Changing without having any backups. </sarcasm>

I think kixeye will never consider making anything happen to BYM in the future and the same applies to many other dead projects.
    Video games don't cause violence, lag does.
  • Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Potential Threat
    Yard said:

@lomolife1174 said:
    Thane_Mantis said:

gasps!

It wouldn't surprise me if someone did actually do that because KIXEYE are hardly competent as a company, but I feel like the game wouldn't be functional otherwise. I once found DTD on Facebook and it still seemed to be playable as far as I can recall.
  • Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord

@Thane_Mantis said:
    Yard said:

@lomolife1174 said:

Thane_Mantis said:

gasps!

It wouldn't surprise me if someone did actually do that because KIXEYE are hardly competent as a company, but I feel like the game wouldn't be functional otherwise. I once found DTD on Facebook and it still seemed to be playable as far as I can recall.

It's kind of playable, but you get a white screen whenever you finish a level and none of your progress is saved.

• Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord

Should also say I have it on good authority, a former employee told me back when they were still employed, during a mod meeting. It was years ago so I don't remember the details explicitly, but it was definitely to do with deleting something accidentally and having no backups.

• Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Potential Threat
    edited 12 Aug 2017, 10:52PM
    Yard said:

Should also say I have it on good authority, a former employee told me back when they were still employed, during a mod meeting. It was years ago so I don't remember the details explicitly, but it was definitely to do with deleting something accidentally and having no backups.

If that's true, then talk about crippling incompetence. Surely any studio with half a brain would keep source code back-ups and/or documentation in case events like this happened. Who thought not doing that was a good idea?
    Seriously, I did some coding once myself awhile back and even I knew to make backups and copies of my work.