I.J. river in Amsterdam

MUFFED
MUFFED
Strike-force Captain
Joined Sep 2012 Posts: 716
One of my friends have told me that he will go on vacation to Amsterdam this summer. He mentioned me a river which goes by the name IJ (it is spelled IJ). Consisting of two capital letters, I though it was an acronym, but no matter how hard I googled it I could not find a conclusive result what IJ stands for.

What does the name of the river IJ stand for?
A muffed muffin.
  • Master of Shadows
    Master of Shadows
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Apr 2016 Posts: 3,678
    According to Wikipedia, its not so much an acronym as it is simply a name derived from an old Dutch word that used to mean water.

The IJ (pronounced [ɛi̯]; sometimes shown on old maps as Y or Ye) is a body of water, formerly a bay, in the Dutch province of North Holland. It is known for being Amsterdam's waterfront. Its name is an obsolete Dutch word meaning "water", derived from the West Frisian word ie "stream, small river" (from Germanic *ahwō, "water") and is cognate with Dutch Aa/Ee names for bodies of water. The name consists of the digraph ij, which behaves like a single letter. Therefore, both letters are capitalized; cf. IJmuiden.

-Wikipedia page on the Amsterdam's IJ, opening paragraph
  • MUFFED
    MUFFED
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Sep 2012 Posts: 716

Seriously? We always joked about the IJ river when I introduced this river to my friends.

A muffed muffin.