A non-coiner's approach to BP

• bort
    bort
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 7,897
    bort said:
    Ring of fire.

Well, I had saved tokens coming into the raid. Now they're not really needed, so i'll use them to finish off the armor on my fangs.

Plan for the raid will be to grab all the main prizes including all the tokens. Will wait for the vids to see what the new targets are like.
    i would like to have your token machine , that way would be easier for all 
    its not hard to save them. just a bit of self control. i'm  not quite going to get all my armor on my fangs, but by the looks of the targets that won't matter at all.
  • bort
    bort
    Unicorn Overlord
    edited 9 Nov 2017, 9:13PM
    So, i'm about to start ring of fire .. and it looks like its going to be super simple. vids are already out.

Looks like i'll mostly be using my hunters for speed and given you can just auto it, I can do that from my phone whenever i feel like it.

Just hit my first hunter call target .. 33 minute repair spread across all 5 ships. so yes, as expected one of the easier raids ever.
  • LordSmithers
    LordSmithers
    Master Tactician
    Joined Jun 2013 Posts: 2,023
    How significant of a difference do those flagships make?
    Nobody cares about what stupid ships you won.
  • bort
    bort
    Unicorn Overlord
    edited 10 Nov 2017, 8:21AM
    How significant of a difference do those flagships make?
    hmmm. a little. THe extra fang is quite helpful in that you'd kill the ships quicker and are a bit faster so you get a greater margin for error. Mostly a time saver really.

The hunter you could just have a regular one instead, although i like the apex, as if you auto for example, its around a 55 minute repair when your fleet is at full health. BUt once your other ships get half damaged, it drops to around  a 30 minute repair, just because only the apex is taking damage.
  • bort
    bort
    Unicorn Overlord
    Trial by Fire ... half a day in.

So i've just logged in and auto'd from my phone periodically throughout the day, and have hit 95 million or so. Repair times are around half an hour to an hour (generally better when the fleet is at exactly 50% or so due to the apex). 

That means that my attention is now turned to next raid. So, I aim to save up 2 x 12 hour tokens from this raid, plus all the 1 hour tokens.

Still not sure what to do with my shipyard. My hunters are fully done. My fangs are only missing a few pieces of armor. I guess i'll put that armor on, but for now i've got an inquisitor that i wanted to fit out, so i figure i may as well do that in between fang finalisation - just in case i want to drive my fangs.
  • liv957
    liv957
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 157
    edited 10 Nov 2017, 2:11PM
    bort said:
    Slightly lost at the moment, with no super clear direction until we see the raid prizes.

I half built 3 liberators with tokens, and then completed two of them with the last tokens. Those are helping me to get the Oppressor easy enough. I probably won't build oppressor - or at least use any tokens, until i see if any new weapons/specials come out.

I'm still a little concerned about getting caught without enough PvE garrison style ships, so I built a blankish zelos, just in case we dont get a tank in the raid, so then i'd have two pun tanks and a zelos tank for the April raid. Might be a complete waste of build time, but better safe than sorry. Might even part build a tide tank. Either way, say we get a new tank and a new DPS remote targetting ship for the next raid series. You then need a number of tanks built for overnight/at work repairs, so its not going to hurt to a have a few spare tanks as its unlikely i'll be able to fully build 3 or 4 tanks and 4 dps ships before the next raid. (unless they release a combined tank/dps ship).

I'm going into the raid with my 6 days of ship build tokens, as well as a spare 12 hour one from the last raid, which should give me a leg up to building any new hulls.

I haven't really built out my prides yet, so maybe that will be this week's job. The iron maiden TLC has given me the chance to also fully build out my last ironclad, as well as refit my mauser one to milleniums. And should have enough vxp tokens to almost fully rank them all now.

My other key action is to get rid of my crew collection so that i can actually roll for crews. Salt dogs is now kinda critical, given ranking has been made quite a bit more difficult. So, i bid you goodbye my collection.... For memory's sake:

explain to me how you can hold 729 crews when the limit is 50 ????
  • rob.swift.948494
    rob.swift.948494
    Potential Threat
    Joined May 2013 Posts: 83
    edited 10 Nov 2017, 2:32PM
     bort is a hacker 729 /50 crews

• bort
    bort
    Unicorn Overlord
     bort is a hacker 729 /50 crews

yes hackers post pictures of their hacking on the kixeye forums ...... perhaps you should try to learn a little about the game before throwing out accusations?
  • bort
    bort
    Unicorn Overlord
    liv957 said:
    bort said:
    Slightly lost at the moment, with no super clear direction until we see the raid prizes.

I half built 3 liberators with tokens, and then completed two of them with the last tokens. Those are helping me to get the Oppressor easy enough. I probably won't build oppressor - or at least use any tokens, until i see if any new weapons/specials come out.

I'm still a little concerned about getting caught without enough PvE garrison style ships, so I built a blankish zelos, just in case we dont get a tank in the raid, so then i'd have two pun tanks and a zelos tank for the April raid. Might be a complete waste of build time, but better safe than sorry. Might even part build a tide tank. Either way, say we get a new tank and a new DPS remote targetting ship for the next raid series. You then need a number of tanks built for overnight/at work repairs, so its not going to hurt to a have a few spare tanks as its unlikely i'll be able to fully build 3 or 4 tanks and 4 dps ships before the next raid. (unless they release a combined tank/dps ship).

I'm going into the raid with my 6 days of ship build tokens, as well as a spare 12 hour one from the last raid, which should give me a leg up to building any new hulls.

I haven't really built out my prides yet, so maybe that will be this week's job. The iron maiden TLC has given me the chance to also fully build out my last ironclad, as well as refit my mauser one to milleniums. And should have enough vxp tokens to almost fully rank them all now.

My other key action is to get rid of my crew collection so that i can actually roll for crews. Salt dogs is now kinda critical, given ranking has been made quite a bit more difficult. So, i bid you goodbye my collection.... For memory's sake:

explain to me how you can hold 729 crews when the limit is 50 ????
    this is a bit of a blast from the past. i do miss my collection, and still couldnt throw them all away so i only seem to rotate through about five available slots now. (a few more slots would be nice kixeye).

arena and tlcs is the answer to your question.
  • LordSmithers
    LordSmithers
    Master Tactician
    edited 16 Nov 2017, 7:49AM
    Well the new FM is nothing short of nightmarish for a lot of current builds, but it seems you can have some serious damage reductions by using Zelos with Quake Cannons. @URF_THE graciously provided a build and driving video that uses Zelos and Icebreakers, plus the Icebreaker flagship:

https://www.dahippo.com/bp/ship/#!G0NZ0434342425K6M727634F228AWAWAWAWAWAW00I00000000000345K4E446A2A56565628280028002P2P2P2P2P0NV0424342435K6M727634F228AWAWAWAWAWAW0NV0424342435K6M727634F228AWAWAWAWAWAW00I00000000000345K4E446A2A56565628280028002P2P2P2P2PdD

If you've already got an Icebreaker fleet, you've probably got a build quite close to that already, just need to get the two Zelos set up which is not a nasty build time at all, especially if you can snag some tokens here and there. Also, definitely room for improvement on that fleet build. Alternatively if you don't have Icebreakers at all you can just go full Zelos, apparently they do real well in these targets and they have no special flagship requirement either, though building a full fleet of five will be painful.

I'm also curious to see how making a dedicated offensive and a dedicated Countermeasure Zelos would perform vs the two multi-purpose ones. For the CM Zelos you could use Magnus Drive for the speed boost to retain accuracy, and get the speed + turning closer to that of the Icebreakers, replace Seismic Rounds with Subaquatic Propellant, and replace Nuclear Accelerators for Engine boost to bring that weight right down for more CM space. Just throwing out ideas here though, not sure how it'd work in practice.

As for folks using Monoliths, seems like they're out of luck right now. Will be interesting to see if some good Samaritan finds a good build and driving style for Monos.
  • bort
    bort
    Unicorn Overlord
    edited 16 Nov 2017, 10:39AM
    annoyingly i had already refit my IBs based on the last fm and took off a bunch of gales for sprints. Now i need to put them back on... oh well. then i need to start refitting my hunters ready for next raid.

looks like george has already figured out a  5 minute repair build https://www.dahippo.com/bp/ship/#!HP0I04343434342037217332B2A2A2A2A57525757575757565656PNY042434303386M722Y73AYAYAY2BF2F2AYAYPNY042434303386M722Y73AYAYAY2BF2F2AYAYPNY042434303386M722Y73AYAYAY2BF2F2AYAYPNY042434303386M722Y73AYAYAY2BF2F2AYAYdE

and my unadjusted zelos mono fleet does it for very little damage too. george's vid:

Now i just need to figure out my IB fleet.
  • bort
    bort
    Unicorn Overlord
    WIth the new weapons, i'm at least using my PvE shipyard for something productive now. The new wolves and torps will be going on all my hunters and fangs. Yes they are a lot better - just do it. I'm expecting another super easy raid in December.

My phantom glut is not far off complete too, so then my base defence should be pretty solid.

I keep forgetting to refit my IBs, and instead refit my hunters, so i just need to remember to do that too. i'll do a little more experimenting as i'm still collecting more tokens.

• bort
    bort
    Unicorn Overlord
    Haven't had much to say for a while as there's really not been much of a challenge lately.

My hunter fleet is done, although i'll still pick up the tokens from the TLC for future use.

My fang fleet has about six days left and it is done too. Not sure what i'll do once the shipyard is free. At least we get a new hull to build for the next raid series in a couple weeks.

I'm expecting a super easy raid.

I've been saving up FM chests, so should have a pretty serious number of build tokens available for the raid too. Should give me a nice headstart to allow me to rank my new ships on the first vxp weekend.

Obviously i've also been completing all the TLCs just to save up tokens as a just in case. And to get all the new tech up blueprints. Its going to take me either 8 or 9 rounds of the tech up camp to get it all, but i mainly just use my skys for the camp so its pretty easy.

I also entered bounty as soon as it started. I think i had more base hits in the first hour than the entire bounty season 3. No one got close though, so they donated me some more bounty. As it is i'm on 11k bounty after a day and a bit so i'll comfortably pick up a writ that i can then build in my conqueror yard. My P/glut is already done, but i've only got a couple scatter gluts to go with it. My others are still muddles. Maybe i'll build out a couple of them too. Dunno.
  • Calif_93257
    Calif_93257
    Greenhorn
    Joined Nov 2016 Posts: 4
    However, if you are a new player with the basic hulls - well, you will NOT advance very far or fast. Unless you BUY the fleets they have from time to time. I have learned as a New Player - No Money - Then prepare to stay a Low Level Farm for the rest of your time in BP. 
  • zinfedel420
    zinfedel420
    Greenhorn
    Joined Sep 2015 Posts: 22
    I still use my old fleets just retro them with new things they still work fine just slower we got so many hulls I will never build them all not going to even try to I got so many hulls from conq to hunters to many hulls take your time build your base so others can not get on it that fast have fun guys this isn't a job it is a game 
  • The Qing
    The Qing
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined Dec 2013 Posts: 1,782

@Calif_93257 said:
    However, if you are a new player with the basic hulls - well, you will NOT advance very far or fast. Unless you BUY the fleets they have from time to time. I have learned as a New Player - No Money - Then prepare to stay a Low Level Farm for the rest of your time in BP. 

I will actually agree with you. unlike the garrison raid cycle, where anyone could use any half-decent ship with 94+ range and do well, the past 2 cycles have not been friendly for newer players without the appropriate hulls.

Omae wa mou shindeiru.
  • bort
    bort
    Unicorn Overlord
    The Qing said:

@Calif_93257 said:

I will actually agree with you. unlike the garrison raid cycle, where anyone could use any half-decent ship with 94+ range and do well, the past 2 cycles have not been friendly for newer players without the appropriate hulls.

Someone starting needs to get up to speed once, and then catapult from there. Yes it will take a few months if you're doing it without help, and are any good at strategy games. Faster with help. But you do need to learn the game inside out.

If you're a poor strategy gamer, you're not going to keep up, even if you have all the toys.
  • bort
    bort
    Unicorn Overlord
    A question that comes up far more often that is should, is how is it possible to build both fleets coin free. Here is the answer: 

A quick analysis of build time available over the last 90 days:

Elapsed time shipyard: 90 days
    Tokens from previous FM before the raid series in September: 7
    Build tokens each raid Sept onwards: 6+6+6 = 18
    Hunter tokens each raid: cant remember. say 5+5+5 = 15
    TLCs: skirmish tokens: cant remember say 5+5+5 = 15
    TLCs: hunter tokens: can't remember say 10+10+10 = 30 
    TLCs: apex tokens: cant remember say 10
    FM tokens: 10+10+10+10+10+10+10+5+6 = 81

Total = 266

(and that is being conservative)

Now in addition to those we also had a bunch of other tokens available through TLCs and the raids

IB tokens: 50 (30 raids 20 TLCs ... yeah i know, we got way more than 20 from tlcs)
    VIB tokens: 20
    Mono tokens:50
    Zelos tokens: 30
    Other tokens, such as citadels, punishers etc that i won't bother even counting)

Total = 150

In addition to that we also had a ton of PvP ship tokens

Conq Shipyard: 45 (cant remember when it was released)
    TLCs: 200+ (sorry too lazy to add them up. but there have been many, many tokens - although having said that, not so many have been super useful, Inqs, Gluts, Pglut come to mind, but that's really only around 50 tokens).

So in the space of three months we've been able to build 600+ days worth of ships. Without spending a single coin.
  • bort
    bort
    Unicorn Overlord
    edited 14 Dec 2017, 10:22PM
    Fall of the wall

So with the change in daylight savings times, the raid kicks off for me just as i leave for work. So the best I can do is auto from my phone.

I tried the new hunter's trophy and I could do two targets on auto as i walked in for a total of three hours of repairs. So in order to get the new ship as quickly as possible, i'll now do the older camps on auto as well just to hit my 40 million as quickly as possible to get the new ships in the oven.

Its more damage than last raid, but I can still easily score a few hundred million purely on auto with my hunters. Maybe i'll get my fangs out a few times. Dunno. Depends how lazy i'm feeling. 

I also didnt use a crew for those campaigns, so i'll crack out a sea serpents when i remember which should take a chunk off the repair time. 

Anyways so far, i'm on 20 or 25 million with a three and a bit hours of repairs to wait for, which will let me jump on in my lunch break and hopefully hit that 40 million mark.
  • LordSmithers
    LordSmithers
    Master Tactician
    bort said:
    Fall of the wall

So with the change in daylight savings times, the raid kicks off for me just as i leave for work. So the best I can do is auto from my phone.

I tried the new hunter's trophy and I could do two targets on auto as i walked in for a total of three hours of repairs. So in order to get the new ship as quickly as possible, i'll now do the older camps on auto as well just to hit my 40 million as quickly as possible to get the new ships in the oven.

Its more damage than last raid, but I can still easily score a few hundred million purely on auto with my hunters. Maybe i'll get my fangs out a few times. Dunno. Depends how lazy i'm feeling. 

I also didnt use a crew for those campaigns, so i'll crack out a sea serpents when i remember which should take a chunk off the repair time. 

Anyways so far, i'm on 20 or 25 million with a three and a bit hours of repairs to wait for, which will let me jump on in my lunch break and hopefully hit that 40 million mark.
    Interesting. How optimized is your fleet? R&D bonuses, retrofits, that sort of thing? I find I can get little damage on auto for a single target, but the charged armour runs out on the second target so the damage starts to skyrocket then.
  • bort
    bort
    Unicorn Overlord
    edited 15 Dec 2017, 10:07AM
    bort said:
    Fall of the wall

Interesting. How optimized is your fleet? R&D bonuses, retrofits, that sort of thing? I find I can get little damage on auto for a single target, but the charged armour runs out on the second target so the damage starts to skyrocket then.
    most stuff is maxxed out. the second target you probably take a little more damage, but it is to the apex, so repair time is not higher. i'm debating making my apex slightly quicker than the rest of my fleet, as that might bring repairs down a bit.

that said, use a sea serpents crew and my repairs drop significantly further again. comfortably less than 1 hour.
  • LordSmithers
    LordSmithers
    Master Tactician
    bort said:
    bort said:
    Fall of the wall

most stuff is maxxed out. the second target you probably take a little more damage, but it is to the apex, so repair time is not higher. i'm debating making my apex slightly quicker than the rest of my fleet, as that might bring repairs down a bit.

that said, use a sea serpents crew and my repairs drop significantly further again. comfortably less than 1 hour.
    I saved 20% of repair time by doing the maximum amount of health transfer from the Apex before manually repairing the fleet, so it's definitely better to clock up damage on that ship than the rest of the fleet. I'm not so sure about abandoning Hydraulic Resistors on either the Apex or the Hunters to get that combat speed difference though, might hurt a bit.

Personally I'm just going to drive in the targets, try to keep walls between me and the enemies so I can avoid those torps. Those are the main damage dealers to this fleet. Not as easy to do this raid as the previous, but with more experience on this target the best paths will become known.
  • Tom Caswell
    Tom Caswell
    Potential Threat
    Joined Jul 2012 Posts: 61
    What a pack of BS. It dont matter how smart you are or how you plan builds. They take so long that by the time its done, its out dated. Im so sick of refitting for raids that change so often, its impossible to keep up. 
  • bort
    bort
    Unicorn Overlord
    edited 16 Dec 2017, 9:05AM
    What a pack of BS. It dont matter how smart you are or how you plan builds. They take so long that by the time its done, its out dated. Im so sick of refitting for raids that change so often, its impossible to keep up. 
    there's vids, there's builds. there's descriptions. maybe you should just copy what i'm doing. its not that difficult.

if your stuff is out of date once its built, you are building very very wrong.
  • bort
    bort
    Unicorn Overlord
    edited 16 Dec 2017, 9:05PM
    bort said:
    bort said:
    Fall of the wall

I saved 20% of repair time by doing the maximum amount of health transfer from the Apex before manually repairing the fleet, so it's definitely better to clock up damage on that ship than the rest of the fleet. I'm not so sure about abandoning Hydraulic Resistors on either the Apex or the Hunters to get that combat speed difference though, might hurt a bit.

Personally I'm just going to drive in the targets, try to keep walls between me and the enemies so I can avoid those torps. Those are the main damage dealers to this fleet. Not as easy to do this raid as the previous, but with more experience on this target the best paths will become known.
    Back to more important discussion.

My auto fleet is now down to around a half hour of repairs for each trophy on auto with the crappy sea serpents crew. WIll have to check how it does with the better version of it. (let me qualify that slightly - this is once your other ships have already taken their damage. So after 3 1 hour repair hits).

switched out a hound for cryonic so my apex now does most of the tanking.

raid is on super easy street now. what am I on after 2 days? 225 million. But obviously now my repairs are shorter, my rate could go up a lot. But more than likely i'll just get lazier and log in less often.

I have 2 buccaneers out now and they're auto ranking in the background. My 3rd will be out today, and i'll be able to get my 4th out with tokens. Admittedly they only have 1 weapon, engine and nuc accel 2 so far, but they'll have a bit more before vxp weekend. ALthough last time this type of fleet was harder to rank.
  • bort
    bort
    Unicorn Overlord
    I've started ranking my buccs just in the background on auto on cargo. I can rank three at a time on 71s and get full vxp so its pretty quick. My 4th will rotate getting more weapons/specials as i rank the other three. Mostly this is just in case you can only rank through suicide on the vxp weekend which makes it extremely difficult to skull coin free.

I'm thinking I will also keep a couple 12 hour tokens in case we get a decent hull in a TLC before the raid and that will give me an extra day headstart.
  • LordSmithers
    LordSmithers
    Master Tactician
    In your experience, do you think the TLC targets will change to skirmish or remain as assault? 
  • bort
    bort
    Unicorn Overlord
    i'd bank on them changing. first week maybe, maybe not, but i'd expect them to. Maybe they'll change tack though, and give a variety? dont really know.
  • bort
    bort
    Unicorn Overlord
    edited 30 Dec 2017, 5:24AM
    Not too much to report on at the moment.

Joined the bounty but aren't really playing it so i'll just pick up whatever prizes i can get for almost zero effort.

My Buccs are coming along nicely. Most likely mine will look like this:

i've been too lazy to do the legion targets to get more c1c armor, but i really should.

I've run pp1 and pp2 of the herculean tlc, mostly on auto with my hunters, as i've been getting some lag lately. I think there must be something wrong with the aussie link at the moment.

I'll build out 4 hydra blanks ready for the next vxp weekend (even if i do some while the raid is on), but who knows i might even build one out fully before the raid even if my buccs are close enough, just to play around with.

i'm expecting the january raid to be fairly easy with buccs that are mostly built.

In regards to the FM changes, they're almost forcing my IBs into retirement. I'm generally just using my zelos/monos now instead. Takes a little longer, but zero/minimal damage versus quite a few hours.
  • bort
    bort
    Unicorn Overlord
    i had thought it goes without saying, but in hindsight i better say it.

at this stage i'm saving up tokens / chests just in case we get a TLC next week for the bucc flag.

Otherwise i'll still be saving tokens / chests coming into the raid, just in case there is a great flag released in the raid that will be immediately useful without rank. If its not useful without rank i'd then do some more on my buccs.